info about Guitar Hero for newbie

DrJoe

CAG Veteran
Hi all,

My girlfriend is looking for a "big gift" item for her 10 year old son for Christmas and she asked me about Guitar Hero. I had to admit to total ignorance regarding the game. I was hoping I could get some general info regarding the game.

1) Is it appropriate for a 10 year old?
2) How much musical knowledge do you need (he is a non-musician)?
3) If there is more than one version/game out for the Wii, which is the best "first" version to buy?
4) Do you need to purchase additional items beyond the game itself to play it (i.e. controls, instruments)? If so, what is critical to "fun" game play?
5) How much money are we talking about to get everything we need?

Thanks much for your info and advice!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Yes
2. None
3. The newest one(World Tour) is best, but last years game(Guitar Hero III) is listed in some upcoming black friday sales for a pretty good price. Whichever one you start with, you can always get just the game of the other one since the guitars will work with any game in this series.

4. & 5. Get one of the bundles. If you just want the guitar, the World Tour bundle is right around $100. The full band set(with the drums & microphone) is $190. If you just want to go for GHIII, with the upcoming sales you can get it with the guitar for right around $60.

You can probably find GH: Aerosmith for cheap. It's just as fun but it does heavily lean towards Aerosmith songs. The songs are pretty kid friendly content wise if not subject wise but nothing too bad.

All you need is a Guitar, Game and Wiimote.

Well, Wolfkin said all that needed to be said, although I suggest editing "Newby" to "Newbie", as that is the more commonly used spelling.

I changed the spelling of newbie... Thanks all for your input.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Joe

bread's done
Back