Intel Core i7 released today 11/17

carpwrist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
The Intel Core i7
intel-core-i7.jpg

Funny thing is, last night my friend was talking about building a new desktop, he had his mind set on the Quad Core and Nvidia 9800 and already ordered the parts from Newegg.
I mentioned that I'd be waiting for the SCII and D3 launch to build a next-gen Blizzard machine. I browsed the web later that evening. Turns out my dream machine processor is out today.

EDIT: Best deals on this is from Dell, Dell EPP: Studio XPS Desktop Intel Core i7 Quad Core 2.66 GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 512MB Radeon HD4850, DVDRW, 23" Full HD LCD, Vista Premium x64 $1006 Or $967
or for the processor alone go with ZipZoomFly

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Maybe I can finally up my CPU to a nice wolfdale for a decent price.

Nehalem sounds good, but Sandy Bridge is going to be the one to watch.

Are they for sale yet or are they just now shipping out to the manufacturers and after that joints like Newegg?

Is there a price guide for them?

[quote name='carpwrist']No they're actually out, Zip Zoom Fly has the best deal right now:
$288 shipped! credit to SD.[/quote]mwave stores via ebay has some. You could get 25% live cashback this way. But CPU over $100 for most home users are overkill, as much as I'd like to play with i7 right now...

[quote name='carpwrist']Or even the 22nm Ivy Bridge that comes out after the Sandy Bridge...
when will it end???[/QUOTE]
Well shrinks are good and all for power and such, but they usually don't offer architectural improvements. From the sound of it, Sandy Bridge is going to be close to the start of when Intel might start the push for CPU driven graphics.

I plan on upgrading next year. So I'll be eying the Core i7 when DDR3 gets cheaper and they have cheaper mobos.

My AMD AM2 build from 2006 is still doing just fine, but I would like a quad core. Unless AMD pulls some magical shit out of their asses, I'm going Intel next time.

I'm kinda confused about these processor revisions. Would I notice any difference between, say, a 3.0ghz i7 and my E6750 that I overclocked to 3.0ghz?

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm kinda confused about these processor revisions. Would I notice any difference between, say, a 3.0ghz i7 and my E6750 that I overclocked to 3.0ghz?[/quote]

Yes, the i7 will be better. This won't really come into play for gaming though because games are bound more by the GPU than the CPU.

The biggest change with the i7 is the fact that it no longer has the front side bus, but now it has integrated memory on the chip, which is much faster than a front side bus. It is the same technology that AMD has been using in their chips.

I was thinking of upgrading last month too and go with Q6600, still using Athlon 4200+. Glad I held out, I'll upgrade when the new Windows comes out, I can't stand Vista.

The real question for me is how cool/low power are these things? I've been looking to build a new HTPC soon and need a silent, low power CPU... is a 45nm C2D going to be a better bet?

[quote name='silent h3ro']The biggest change with the i7 is the fact that it no longer has the front side bus, but now it has integrated memory on the chip, which is much faster than a front side bus. It is the same technology that AMD has been using in their chips.[/QUOTE]
So to overclock this cpu, you would overclock the onboard memory instead of the FSB?

[quote name='Koggit']The real question for me is how cool/low power are these things? I've been looking to build a new HTPC soon and need a silent, low power CPU... is a 45nm C2D going to be a better bet?[/quote]

Look at anything from AMD, their CPUs are drawing the lowest amount which makes even a fanless heatsink possible.

I wouldn't pick the Atom because it can't do much, it's too slow.

You can easily get 2 cores on AMD side that would spank Atom and actually get it cheaper than Atom too.

as for the i7.... if AMD doesn't come out with their next chip by the time this is affordable.... NOT NOW

MB~200-300
Memory 100-200
Chip~$$$$

then I might swing Intel....

[quote name='dragonsho']So to overclock this cpu, you would overclock the onboard memory instead of the FSB?[/quote]

I dont' know if the multiplyer is locked, probably, but yeah that's a way to overclock.

[quote name='crystalklear64']And I did![/QUOTE]
Nice, did you have to do the slight mod to get the Wolfdale to work with your mobo?

[quote name='dragonsho']Nice, did you have to do the slight mod to get the Wolfdale to work with your mobo?[/QUOTE]
Don't know yet, it comes tomorrow. I don't think I'll have to though. I have a p35-s3l r2 and I know it can hit at least 400 without issue. You're talking about the pencil mod right?

I think it may be the pencil mod. I remember hearing when they came out that they didn't fit in some sockets or something like that or you had to mod something to make it fit/work. I may be/probably am wrong but that's what I remember.

Ah nope, wrong thing. Pencil mod is where you draw a line on the chip with a pencil to connect two points and it somehow allows the FSB to be faster.

bread's done
Back