Invert Y-Axis?

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Hardly. Let me clear this up with an example.

Put your hand behind your head and push. Which way did you look?
Grab your hair and pull. Which way did you look?
Push your face to the left. Which way did you look?
Now push it to the right. Which way did you look?[/quote]

Hold your chin with your hand and push up. Which way did you look?
Hold your chin with your hand and push down. Which way did you look?

If you're not flying through 3D space (like in a flight game), inverted Y makes little sense.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Personally I can move my head without using my hands.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can. Your avatar can not.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']If you're not flying through 3D space (like in a flight game), inverted Y makes little sense.[/QUOTE]

Irrelevant. You're still MOVING through 3-D space. There's no difference between your make-believe ship and my make-believe legs. Your chin analogy is valid if you hold your controller vertically (shoulder buttons facing the ceiling). I would argue that most people don't.

The smiley face and made up word at the end of my post should have signified I was joking about defying reason. Can't we all just get along?

[quote name='Callandor']I used to play inverted, then somewhere along the line I stopped. Now I can't even stand inverted anymore.[/QUOTE]

Same with me... I didn't have any trouble with invert but I then I stopped using it. I think it was when one game would be inverted and another wouldn't by default so I decided to pick one and choose to have it inverted.

Funnily, I can't play inverted on shooters but with flight simulators and games that involve flying, I can't play normally.

I definitely play inverted.

I think, back in time, most games were inverted, so now it feels natural. Though, it is actually to the point that, if a FPS didn't have an inverted Y axis control option, I would likely not play it (even a Halo 3 type game).

I can understand the normal crowd saying it doesn't make sense. I don't disagree with this. However, I'm use to it as is, and really don't want to go through the pain of having to retrain myself.

inverted control is a perversion of flight stimulation games....

in reality, flight stimulation games should come with a flight stick, i.e. you pull or push the stick up and down, rather than using your game controller pad to do it. On the control pad, you're not pulling the stick up, you're pressing the down button, big difference!

because we all know that buying a flight controller for the flight games is not ideal option (in the past), that's why we went with the inverted control...

for that reason, i even play flight simulator with the normal setting (unless i'm using a flight controller).

for people play a lot of platformers, it's a bit difficult to grasp the idea that pressing up means to go down and pressing down means to go up.

FPS games are not flight stimulators, so it's not natural to invert the control. Of course, in the first person perspective mode, the gamer feels a bit like in a cockpit or something similar and hence want the buttons to be inverted.

Now, a better FPS game would be a gun controller (similar to a Wiimote) and a head visor/gear. The head gear controls left and right of the player's direction. The gun's movement (in the gamer's hand) controls the gun. To walk straight or jump, there could be a feet pad or simply a button on the gun controller (no, not nunchuck, but a button on the barrel or handle).

bread's done
Back