ION® iCade Arcade Cabinet for iPad® $49.99 In-Store or Online + $7.99 Shipping

king9x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
ION® iCade Arcade Cabinet for iPad® at Bed Bath & Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18449218 OUT OF STOCK ONLINE

ION iCade for only $49.99 if you can find it locally, otherwise ship it for $7.99.

This is perfect for those of us who were able to get in on the iMAME4ALL app that sneaked into the App Store over the holidays and 50% off its original price.

If you're lucky enough to find it locally, you can use a junk email to sign up to their list and they will immediately send you a coupon for 20% off any one item in store only:

http://app.bedbathandbeyond.com/prefs/pref.cfm?src=header&

This will make it $39.99, great deal either way.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this post. I snagged one yesterday at the local BBB w/ the 20% coupon for my HP Touchpad running Android . I actually had been wanting it for a while but considering $100 was nearly what I paid for my Touchpad I couldn't bring myself to, but $40 is a good deal for it.

Does anyone know if any Android apps support the iCade besides MAME4DROID? Even the Android version of the Atari app advertised on the box doesn't. I don't suppose there is any way to map the controls or set them up for other apps.

Still, there's a lot out there for MAME, if you get the right versions of the roms, so I would say all in all it's still worth it. Cute little setup, I just think it has more potential and wish it would get more support. Since it's first and foremost an iPad add-on though I don't imagine too many Android developers would support it and I think most Android tablets are probably not the right shape to fit well. While the Touchpad does fit for the most part, it's not even technically an official Android device.

I got one of these and I love it.

That being said, I've been playing a lot of Ms Pacman on it and the controls are just not responsive. Many times, if I'm at a 3-way junction, I'll press up or down and Ms Pacman will go left. Or ignore the up. Even in the options I set it to be a 4-way joystick instead of an 8-way but there's really no difference.

Are any of you finding this?

I still love this thing.

I picked up one of these yesterday at Macy's, in the Men's clothing section (near The Sharper Image crap) for $37.50. This is the cheapest I've seen it, even after the BB&B 20% off coupon.
It was labeled as 75% off but they have the MSRP listed as $150.

[quote name='kannofan']I got one of these and I love it.

That being said, I've been playing a lot of Ms Pacman on it and the controls are just not responsive. Many times, if I'm at a 3-way junction, I'll press up or down and Ms Pacman will go left. Or ignore the up. Even in the options I set it to be a 4-way joystick instead of an 8-way but there's really no difference.

I still love this thing.[/QUOTE]

You can't just flip a software switch and make an 8-way stick into a 4-way stick. You need to have a 4-way stick. I don't believe the stick in the iCade can be converted to 4-way, but I'd love to be proven wrong. The problem you're running into is that when you are pressing into one of the corners there's no way to know for certain which direction you meant. For instance if you are pressing up&left, is that up or is that left? It can guess, but sometimes it's going to be wrong. The games that work best with the icade are 2-way games and 8-way games. Anything 4-way is going to be inherently problematic.

EDIT: also, that 4-way switch is probably intended to set what type of stick you have. If you have a 4 way stick it doesn't have to do the guessing to try to figure out what you meant. As such, setting it to 4-way would probably make it play worse. I'd keep it at 8-way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your local Bed Bath & Beyond is out of stock, be sure to ask an associate if they can order one for you. If you order in-store, shipping to your home is free. I ordered mine on Saturday, it shipped yesterday, and should be here by Thursday.

[quote name='cplater']If your local Bed Bath & Beyond is out of stock, be sure to ask an associate if they can order one for you. If you order in-store, shipping to your home is free. I ordered mine on Saturday, it shipped yesterday, and should be here by Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Will this work even if it's out of stock online now?

[quote name='Vader582']I picked up one of these yesterday at Macy's, in the Men's clothing section (near The Sharper Image crap) for $37.50. This is the cheapest I've seen it, even after the BB&B 20% off coupon.
It was labeled as 75% off but they have the MSRP listed as $150.[/QUOTE]

Can I get the sku or item number? I'm trying to call local Macy stores and none know what I'm talking about.

[quote name='ryosnk']Can I get the sku or item number? I'm trying to call local Macy stores and none know what I'm talking about.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully this is helpful:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[quote name='kannofan']I got one of these and I love it.

I still love this thing.[/QUOTE]

Did you get a ROM of Ms Pacman, or the official iOS iPad app? I hadn't read that the official MS Pacman works with the iCade, and I'd like to buy it if it does work, since ROMs don't interest me.

[quote name='WilliamG']Did you get a ROM of Ms Pacman, or the official iOS iPad app? I hadn't read that the official MS Pacman works with the iCade, and I'd like to buy it if it does work, since ROMs don't interest me.[/QUOTE]

I have the official Ms.Pac-Man iPad app and can tell you that it does not work with it. The original Pac-Man works with it, but not Ms.

Another game that works with it is Terra Notics, its on sale for $.99
http://appshopper.com/games/terra-noctis
I posted about it in the other thread but thought I would post it here too, it's a great platformer.

Just got this Tonight. This was almost worth it just for League of Evil. League does on-screen controls very well. It just feels better to me with buttons:D Thanks OP.

[quote name='JohnDM']Oh man, I'm sorely tempted since there's a Bed Bath & Beyond close by. For those interested there's a list of apps that work with the iCade on their website.
[/QUOTE]
Was gonna post the link for compatible games but you already had. So BUMP.

This thing actually has me itchin' to buy a bunch of stuff **gasp**... Kinda shocked myself but have a bunch of itunes credit which I got cheap

[quote name='Dysheekie']Will this work even if it's out of stock online now?[/QUOTE]

It should. It was OOS online when I went to the store, and the associate ordered one for me. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Also, if you order in store, shipping is free.

[quote name='cplater']It should. It was OOS online when I went to the store, and the associate ordered one for me. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Also, if you order in store, shipping is free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try today!

[quote name='slamoco']I guess that is YMMV. I have my HP touchpad running CM7 Xron Android Mame4All overclocked to 1.5 and it is flawless.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the links for all of those? So much confusing, scattered info through google. And, can a noob do it? I'd like mine to work flawlessly with this thing, too! :) Thanks!

....On another know, this thing is bigger than I thought(no corny 'that's what she said jokes' without pics/vids sent...cam, people!). I'm, quite, impressed. It comes in a big, heavy box and if I get it to work with my Hp Touchpad, this iCade would seem like they were giving it away!

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Do you have the links for all of those? So much confusing, scattered info through google. And, can a noob do it? I'd like mine to work flawlessly with this thing, too! :) Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Follow the directions here to get the latest CM7 alpha installed on your Touchpad. After that you can boot into Android and get MAME4Droid and SetCPU (to overclock to 1.5ghz) from the Android Marketplace. Then just Google "gp2x wiz 0.37b11 mame romset" to find a torrent of the ROMs.

Anyone have any recommendations on inexpensive Android tablets that could suitably run MAME4Droid? I missed out on the cheap touchpads and would like to get some other inexpensive tab that would be used exclusively to run MAME.

An amazingly friendly girl at my local BB&B called a store 2 hours away and had them ship one to me (free shipping). Great customer service at this store.

[quote name='elvis731']Anyone have any recommendations on inexpensive Android tablets that could suitably run MAME4Droid? I missed out on the cheap touchpads and would like to get some other inexpensive tab that would be used exclusively to run MAME.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to think and not coming up with many good options. Most Android Tablets are 10" or 7" and longer more rectangular shaped. The touchpad is 9" and really close to the Ipad 1 dimensions. So close that many iPad one cases will even fit it.

I was thinking maybe the Vizio 8" tablet which is a little smaller but the proportions look closer, only there is not Cyanogen mod for it yet.

I'm trying to think of other ideas. The Nook Color maybe? It's small though at 7" but it's a good tablet with good custom ROM support and I've seen refurbs go for as low as $129.

[quote name='jack612']Follow the directions here to get the latest CM7 alpha installed on your Touchpad. After that you can boot into Android and get MAME4Droid and SetCPU (to overclock to 1.5ghz) from the Android Marketplace. Then just Google "gp2x wiz 0.37b11 mame romset" to find a torrent of the ROMs.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!:D There's so much info in that first post, my head is spinning! :cold: I'm going to see what I can do!

Thank You! :)

[quote name='Motoki']I'm trying to think and not coming up with many good options. Most Android Tablets are 10" or 7" and longer more rectangular shaped. The touchpad is 9" and really close to the Ipad 1 dimensions. So close that many iPad one cases will even fit it.

I was thinking maybe the Vizio 8" tablet which is a little smaller but the proportions look closer, only there is not Cyanogen mod for it yet.

I'm trying to think of other ideas. The Nook Color maybe? It's small though at 7" but it's a good tablet with good custom ROM support and I've seen refurbs go for as low as $129.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I tried pretty hard to score a touchpad, but ended up empty handed. Maybe I'll scope out ebay and see what they're going for on there.

[quote name='elvis731']Thanks for the response. Yeah, I tried pretty hard to score a touchpad, but ended up empty handed. Maybe I'll scope out ebay and see what they're going for on there.[/QUOTE]

A month or so ago, someone here mentioned HP was selling refurbs through eBay for the $99/$150 price. Needless to say, I think they were an instant sell out. Maybe, call HP about that or find their eBay section and stalk it!

[quote name='headpiece747']If any CAG that is already getting one or has one for sale at this price let me know in a PM. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Thought I ask one more time before I give up if any would like to help a brother out?:)

[quote name='headpiece747']Thought I ask one more time before I give up if any would like to help a brother out?:)[/QUOTE]

The thing is somewhat heavy and will cost a fair amount to ship. I wouldn't count on anyone shipping it to you for free. After paying for the shipping, packing and something for their trouble, you're probably better off just buying one for $100 from thinkgeek.com (or waiting for a sale there, or elsewhere).

[quote name='crunchewy']The thing is somewhat heavy and will cost a fair amount to ship. I wouldn't count on anyone shipping it to you for free. After paying for the shipping, packing and something for their trouble, you're probably better off just buying one for $100 from thinkgeek.com (or waiting for a sale there, or elsewhere).[/QUOTE]

Very true! I was shocked at how heavy the box was!

Cheapest on eBay is $75shipped Brand New http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-B..._Accessories&hash=item43ac3f5ec3#ht_500wt_732 .

Edit:Unless you want to bid on a new 1.

[quote name='crunchewy']The thing is somewhat heavy and will cost a fair amount to ship. I wouldn't count on anyone shipping it to you for free. After paying for the shipping, packing and something for their trouble, you're probably better off just buying one for $100 from thinkgeek.com (or waiting for a sale there, or elsewhere).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Very true! I was shocked at how heavy the box was!

Cheapest on eBay is $75shipped Brand New http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-B..._Accessories&hash=item43ac3f5ec3#ht_500wt_732 .

Edit:Unless you want to bid on a new 1.[/QUOTE]
I didn't know they were that heavy so I guess I will wait or bite the bullet and get one on Amazon or something. Thanks guys.

$50 was still too high, but for $39.99 the price feels just about right.

Super Crate Box comes out tonight on iOS! Purchase justified

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']$50 was still too high, but for $39.99 the price feels just about right.

Super Crate Box comes out tonight on iOS! Purchase justified[/QUOTE]

Lol @ $50 was still too high! :lol:

[quote name='headpiece747']I didn't know they were that heavy so I guess I will wait or bite the bullet and get one on Amazon or something. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond nearby? If so, the associates in the store can order one to be shipped to your home with free shipping.

[quote name='cplater']Do you have a Bed Bath and Beyond nearby? If so, the associates in the store can order one to be shipped to your home with free shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for recommendation but I don't have one near me because I am currently in Germany so I will have to wait to get it on Amazon or get back to the states.

Newegg is having the iCade as a Shell Shocker deal from 1-3pm PST / 4-7pm EST for $67.99. It doesn't seem like much a deal compared the the BBB & Macy's half off sale, but it's worth noting that the shipping is free and there's no tax in most states.

Might be worth it if you have some unused Newegg credits.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

Got one for $40, although price still seems steep for something I may not use a whole lot. Not sure if I will keep it or not.

picture.php

The Regency Mall (Richmond, VA) Macy's had 2 of these in stock this afternoon. They are on the first floor, in the men's section, near the fragrance kisok on the mall entrance side.
They scan $75 but there's a sign on the display that lists the item as 75% off off the regular $150 price. They seem pretty good about honoring displayed prices, should someone want to go that route.

Didn't need to get this, but at $40, I did. I installed CM7 on my Touchpad last night, and downloaded iMAMEdroid. I'm looking for the romset, but none of the torrents I could find would actually start the download. I was using my Touchpad to d/l the torrent, may try it on my PC tonight.

[quote name='headpiece747']Thanks for recommendation but I don't have one near me because I am currently in Germany so I will have to wait to get it on Amazon or get back to the states.[/QUOTE]

Your avatar could play the female version of Damien!!:cold:

[quote name='Motoki']Newegg is having the iCade as a Shell Shocker deal from 1-3pm PST / 4-7pm EST for $67.99. It doesn't seem like much a deal compared the the BBB & Macy's half off sale, but it's worth noting that the shipping is free and there's no tax in most states.

Might be worth it if you have some unused Newegg credits.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx[/QUOTE]

This combined with the Newcustomer10($10 off $50 for new customers) code could be a good alternative(other than price matching the $49.99 somewhere) for those who aren't able to get in on the BB&B deal.

That is, if that code is still working.

[quote name='kannofan']WilliamG: I did not get the official app. Playing with ROMs on iMAME.[/QUOTE]

Ah right. I'd like to keep things official, but thanks for the reply. :)

[quote name='jack612']Follow the directions here to get the latest CM7 alpha installed on your Touchpad. After that you can boot into Android and get MAME4Droid and SetCPU (to overclock to 1.5ghz) from the Android Marketplace. Then just Google "gp2x wiz 0.37b11 mame romset" to find a torrent of the ROMs.[/QUOTE]

Looks like I won't be getting all of that. That site is confusing me to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hot: That first post crushed my brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bomb:

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Your avatar could play the female version of Damien!!:cold:

This combined with the Newcustomer10($10 off $50 for new customers) code could be a good alternative(other than price matching the $49.99 somewhere) for those who aren't able to get in on the BB&B deal.

That is, if that code is still working.[/QUOTE]

NEWCUSTOMER10 doesn't seem to be working.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Looks like I won't be getting all of that. That site is confusing me to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hot: That first post crushed my brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bomb:[/QUOTE]

This is the the guide I used when I installed Android on my Touchpad back in October.

http://www.howtogeek.com/76960/how-to-install-android-on-your-hp-touchpad/

It's less wordy and more no-nonsense than the other guides which in some ways are meant to scare some people off I think.

One important difference in using that guide I linked though is do not use their link for "CyanogenMod 7.1.0 ALPHA 1" as it is outdated. The latest is Alpha 3.5 that you can get here.

If you still have issues PM and I will try and walk you through it. That is if you are using a PC to do the initial file transfer. I'm not really familiar with getting things to work on Macs so I wouldn't be a good person to ask about that.

[quote name='Tiny Gallon']
Super Crate Box comes out tonight on iOS! Purchase justified[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! No idea what the endgame is for SCB. But I keep going just to see the new weapon unlocks. Diggin it just as much as LoE

Only gripe I have with the icade is that I keep unscrewing the balltop during games

bread's done
Back