iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SilverBulletKY']They didn't release another Wallace & Gromit either. The only thing they've released a 2nd episode for is the recent Back to the Future. I'll probably buy Sam & Max for .99 but would have bought it for original price had there been further episodes.[/QUOTE]

I guess the other episodes were "too large" for the iPad to handle. They are canceled. I have a hard time believing it can't be ported with some of the things I've seen on iPad.

I'd buy it just to try out on iPad ( already have it on steam and ps3) but I almost don't want to support not finishing the season on the device.

[quote name='AwRy108']Should be the App store motto.[/QUOTE]
Very rarely do I find a 99¢ game to be worth even that. That said, I have dumped a lot of money into quality apps for more than $1. It's just sad that iOS developers have to price their development around a 99¢ price point or risk not having sales :(

out of curiosity, is there any reason that double tapping the home button on an iPod doesn't bring up the list of running programs on the bottom like it does on an iPhone?

[quote name='nasum']out of curiosity, is there any reason that double tapping the home button on an iPod doesn't bring up the list of running programs on the bottom like it does on an iPhone?[/QUOTE]

Some older models of iPod Touches and iPhones didn't get the multi-tasking support in iOS 4.

Crazy Submarine: Extreme Rush has just dropped from $2.99 to FREE.
"Crazy Submarine, the very challenging and addicting adventure game.
In game, you control a submarine to dash. You should avoid the collission with the many kinds of enemies and dangerous, and you should collect the bonuses as many as you can, the bonus will give you many special skills.this bonuses can supply more power, speed up the submarine, and protect the submarine, etc..."

[quote name='nasum']out of curiosity, is there any reason that double tapping the home button on an iPod doesn't bring up the list of running programs on the bottom like it does on an iPhone?[/QUOTE]
I think it was only the 4gen ipod touch model got it

I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen iPod Touch model has multitasking as well. That may have been a cydia tweak to enable it though. Been a while since I set that one up for my brother.

[quote name='JP']I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen iPod Touch model has multitasking as well. That may have been a cydia tweak to enable it though. Been a while since I set that one up for my brother.[/QUOTE]

as long as it's 32gb or 64gb. bit of a semantics game played with these - the "3rd gen" 8gb is essentially 2nd gen. for all practical matters, there's no such thing as a 3rd gen 8gb Touch. so your statement is true, from a certain point of view.

[quote name='Brian234']Monino, or otherwise known as Super Mario Bros. Same sounds, same graphics, not-quite-refined-gameplay, but only $1. And, if it looks like a Mario and sounds like a Mario but isn't licensed like a Mario, expect it to disappear quick...
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. I can't seem to find this app... Whatever could have happened to it? ;-P

Coin Drop and Gears is .99 cents right now and both are universal.

I cannot recommend Coin Drop and Gears enough. Both are well made and highly addictive!

[quote name='GamerChris']Shows up for me. I'm in the U.S.[/QUOTE]

Really? Can you provide a link? The one the other guy posted was for the Japanese version and my searches aren't coming up with anything.

Mission Europa Collector's Edition dropped a couple bucks to $7.99.
http://appshopper.com/games/mission-europa-collectors-ed-hd-3dfpsaction-rpg
I'm actually pretty tempted. Seems like a really deep first-person RPG in the vein of System Shock and Fallout 3. I hear one guy did it all himself over a year and a half, which I definitely respect.
There's a "standard edition," with a lot of the levels as IAP, for about $4.
Anyone played these yet? There's a woeful lack of professional reviews for the game.

*EDIT: I'll bite on it. Preview video sold me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_BH-pXIZY

Physics Gamebox is the new main FAAD offering. It's done by the same people who did Cover Orange and Beyond Ynth, so I'm actually looking forward to downloading this one.
"Time to pull out the BIG guns! 2 of the most popular Flash physics games in one awesome box!
This ultimate Gamebox includes Johnny-K's Roly-Poly Cannon AND the original Ragdoll Cannon. These two games combine to offer an insane amount of levels: 300 challenging stages guarantee hours of fun!"

Weakest Link: Royal Wedding Edition
is the topical OpenFeint Free Game of the Day selection right now.
"Will you be crowned the winner, or make the walk of shame as the Weakest Link?
Knowing the answers is important, but so is strategy. Each of your opponents plays the game in their own way – Study their moves, bank winnings at the right moment and vote out your opponents carefully to make it to the top. With 25 simulated opponents available, every game is different!"

Not free but worth noting, Dungeon Raid has added two more game modes in its latest update.

[quote name='Maynard']Coin Drop and Gears is .99 cents right now and both are universal.

I cannot recommend Coin Drop and Gears enough. Both are well made and highly addictive![/QUOTE]

I find Gears to be "meh". But Coin Drop is a real gem. I just snagged it and it oozes polish and style. It's gonna move up the charts quickly me thinks. Highly recommended for $.99 AppShopper

Who's That Flying is today's OpenFeint Fire Sale Friday game. I'm kind of surprised that a game released for $2.99 just two days ago is already (possibly) dropping to .99. Vote for it with the OpenFeint Game Channel app if you want to see it go on sale.
"As the mysterious and powerful "Guardian of Earth" your steely eye and HYPER-POWERED LASER ARM have kept the citizens of Earth safe for generations (as well as proving a hit with the ladies).
With all your awesome TALENT and FLAIR, surely it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a devastating invasion of Doom Beasts to descend on your cities and cause havoc without your knowledge? (Even if you were MAYBE showboating for a magazine photo-shoot at the time...)
Now, you must not only defend your cities from the ravenous hordes of Doom Beasts - you must defend yourself against accusations of gross incompetence from the Galactic Council of Justice! And this is all BEFORE you can even start to get to the bottom of just who OR what is really behind the attacks..."

I decided to pick up Gears and Coin Drop for 99 cents each. Hope I'm as verklempt as everybody else once I try them out. I like that they are both universal.

EXEXE Rebirth has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"[What is EXEXE?]
EXEXE is a simple shooting game, focused on surviving the enemies' attack and gaining high scores. While the operation and the rules are quite simple, you can gain incredible high scores by our original scoring system.
[Unique scoring system: LET THEM SHOOT YOU!]
You gain the scores not only by shooting down the enemies but letting the enemies shoot you. That is, the more you get the enemies shooting you and avoid enemies’ bullets, the more you gain scores.
[Capture stars, gain more!]
Each score you get is multiplied by the scoring rate. The rate increases by capturing stars that appear when you shoot down enemies. Capture stars, increase the rate, and gain more and more!
[Easy operation, just in one hand!]
All you have to do is just navigate your own aircraft. You can play with your single finger!"

[quote name='Maklershed']Looks like HBO Go came out today.[/QUOTE]

So happy that I bought a Seasons 1 and 2 of The Wire a month ago when they were on sale in iTunes, only to find out about HBO Go about a week later

[quote name='Maklershed']Looks like HBO Go came out today.[/QUOTE]

From the sounds of it you need a subscription to watch the content.

[quote name='jimrome27']Operation wow is free today! Fun game imo[/QUOTE]

lol I remember playing the original Operation Wolf in the arcade years ago, good times.
6ej5gh.jpg

Coin Drop is fun-ish and certainly addicting, but I really don't like that you have to shake the phone to "bump" the ball up. I'm wondering if they maintained this control scheme on the iPad. I'll check that out later. If you have to shake the iPad that's going to be completely ridiculous. Overall the game feels a bit like playing pachinko. With more skill involved, sure, but still not entirely satisfying, just addicting like a slot machine. So I guess I'm going against the grain on this one. It's like how I feel about Slingo.

I haven't tried Gears extensively yet. Only one level. Seems good, but too early to tell. I like that you can play either with tilt control or touch. I'm iffy on the weird perspective shift thing it does.

Second Impact: The Rise of Man is currently available for FREE.
"65 million years ago the asteroids appeared over our skies in a fiery mass of utter destruction. In the end, the asteroids caused First Impact and sent the helpless dinosaurs to an early grave. Times have changed and mankind now rules this planet. Suddenly the asteroids have returned to darken our skies once more. They have come to finish what they started 65 million years ago. Unlike the dinosaurs, man will not go down without a fight. We will use explosive missiles, nuclear technology, and even experimental black holes to defend what is rightfully ours. So take up arms and protect our planet to avoid Second Impact!"

[quote name='ViolentLee']Mission Europa Collector's Edition dropped a couple bucks to $7.99.
I'm actually pretty tempted. Seems like a really deep first-person RPG in the vein of System Shock and Fallout 3. I hear one guy did it all himself over a year and a half, which I definitely respect.
Anyone played these yet? There's a woeful lack of professional reviews for the game.
[/QUOTE]
thanks for the vid. game looks fantastic.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Mission Europa Collector's Edition dropped a couple bucks to $7.99.

*EDIT: I'll bite on it. Preview video sold me. [/quote]

Was going to bite, but it's raised back to 9.99 :[

Highborn is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Highborn for the iPhone and iPod Touch is a casual, turn-based strategy game, perfect for gaming on the go, or for anyone looking for an intelligent, tactical experience without the frenetic play of a traditional real-time strategy game.
Highborn features two types of strategy games in one. Move your army around an overhead map to capture points of interest and receive spells and combat support; then dive into 3D combat to deploy those advantages against an unsuspecting enemy!
All the fun and fighting is set against an irreverent take on the classic good-versus-evil tale. Eight wacky heroes banter about, trading dialogue full of miscommunications and outrageous assumptions."

Who's That Flying has received the necessary number of FireSale Friday votes to drop its price down to .99 through the weekend.
"As the mysterious and powerful "Guardian of Earth" your steely eye and HYPER-POWERED LASER ARM have kept the citizens of Earth safe for generations (as well as proving a hit with the ladies).
With all your awesome TALENT and FLAIR, surely it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a devastating invasion of Doom Beasts to descend on your cities and cause havoc without your knowledge? (Even if you were MAYBE showboating for a magazine photo-shoot at the time...)
Now, you must not only defend your cities from the ravenous hordes of Doom Beasts - you must defend yourself against accusations of gross incompetence from the Galactic Council of Justice! And this is all BEFORE you can even start to get to the bottom of just who OR what is really behind the attacks..."

Blimp HD for the iPad (only) has dropped to FREE for the first time (regularly $3.99).
"Blimp HD is original action platformer where you take role as war veteran Zed Pelin – blimp pilot on a planet Solbot. Working for local merchant company you wanted to finally find peace. Unfortunately the planet was attacked by malevolent aliens. Your blimp is armed with bombs and you’re fighting for freedom once again…"

Coin Drop actually plays well on the iPad, probably even better because shaking can be done buy tipping it back and forth rapidly and since the screen is much larger that's a lot less disorienting.

Gears is fantastic! Even more so on the iPad where it looks really stunning. It's absolutely worth the 99c, which I believe is an intro price, so I'd grab it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back