iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='litoeon']Was going to bite, but it's raised back to 9.99 :[[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. How long was the sale? I guess I'll wait a bit and see if it drops down again.

Edit: NVM, I see on Appshopper that it lasted 3 days. I'll try the free version and decide if I want to pay the full price. Funny, because I could justify $7.99 alot better than $9.99 to myself. Even though it seems like a great game I wonder if it would become repetitive.

Hot Springs Story dropped to $1.99

854559.png

http://appshopper.com/games/hot-springs-story

[quote name='DtotheP']City of Secrets is free today

App Store

Thanks FAAD[/QUOTE]

Thanks I was looking at this yesterday and was thinking about buying it, glad I waited.
Hopefully since Kairosoft has dropped both GDS and HSS maybe they'll launch their new game soon.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Will hot springs go to .99 any time soon...[/QUOTE]

It could take a while, but it will happen at some point. At least I don't mind waiting :p

Bubble Smile is also being featured on FAAD right now.
"Rejoice, you nostalgic gamer!! Rejoice you too who have yet to discover Bubble Smile!!
Bubble Smile is coming back and this time the friggin’ bubbles chose to come poppin' in your iDevice!
A unique take on the match-3 genre!
Discover or re-discover a classic and unique match 3 game.
FREEDOM TO THE BUBBLES!!!"

Space Station: Frontier is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"As overseer of a deep space mining operation you'd expect it to be a peaceful job. No such luck with a mysterious alien race violently contesting your claim to the territory!
Harvest precious energy, fortify your station, build up your firepower to defend humanity's domain on this new frontier!"

For the iPad crowd, Mayan Puzzle HD has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Mayan Puzzle HD is a variant of brain challenging match 3 puzzle game like no other, where you have to destroy all blocks in a level in limited number of moves. Besides mind-boggling classic mode, it features also 3 other game modes (time trial, challenge, marathon) which are a mix of puzzle and arcade, great if you need to relax or have a few spare moments.
The action takes place in a beautiful Mayan surrounding spiced up with a lot of special FX and original Mayan soundtrack. It's a MUST-HAVE for a serious competitor. Be the first to complete all 50 levels in the classic mode or beat your friends via Game Center in time trail, challenge or marathon modes."

[quote name='E-Z-B']Where did everyone go? lol[/QUOTE]

There's never any sales on Sundays as the app store doesn't update on Sundays. Come back tomorrow :)

The BLOBS! is the new FAAD featured game.
"Welcome to the world of The Blobs. Disaster strikes when an asteroid crashes down and sends each member of the family to the four corners of their cute little world.
Help Brother Blob in his search for his lost family by travelling through six different terrains, from the heavily wooded “Secret Forest” to the harsh conditions of “Metal Defence”.
Move Brother Blob by tilting the world around and sliding Brother Blob towards the exits in each level. His fluid like body can squeeze through tight gaps and he can even split into separate pieces.
Blob moves in a very unique way, can you master the skills necessary to guide him in his mission?"

USA Basketball – Multiplayer
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Play basketball in the three famous places of the USA! USA Basketball presents a lot of achievements, bonuses, very interesting modes and even ONLINE Multiplaying!
USA Basketball have a physical engine, interesting backgrounds with Hundreds of animations and dozens of achievements."

CF Defense finally drops to FREE in its long history of up-and-down pricing. C'mon, you know you want this hot and quite attractive FPS for your very own.
"CF Defense is a hot and quite attractive FPS game.
You must withstand the enemy’s overwhelming attacks with the machine guns, cannon shot and air backup to hold your fortress.
In comparison with other types of defensive shooting games, this game’s weapon aiming is realized with iPhone Accelerator. You can easily aim at targets by move iPhone up and down, left and right rather than touching on the screen.
Holding your iPhone, and imagine you are a fully armed warrior, with no fear in face of several-fold enemies, you are sparing no efforts to shoot those who dare to step onto the beach. Are you desirous of that kind of joyful cool feeling? No more waiting, just take up your iPhone and play with us!"

Terra, by PNJ Inc. @ FREE (from $0.99)
(If you don't see the change in price just wait.).

*Special Discount... Buy Now!!

Terra-Eternal Chaos is a new action RPG series of PNJ that has high reputation in RPG games. It a game that refuses to have same type of other existing RPG and enables to play long time as enjoying the scenario.

You can combine totally different style of 2 formats and fight. In order to provide strong character customizing, there are wide format of equipments and various skills. You can build your character up to level 250 and there are more enjoyable factors in the game.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Terra, by PNJ Inc. @ FREE (from $0.99)
(If you don't see the change in price just wait.).

*Special Discount... Buy Now!!

Terra-Eternal Chaos is a new action RPG series of PNJ that has high reputation in RPG games. It a game that refuses to have same type of other existing RPG and enables to play long time as enjoying the scenario.

You can combine totally different style of 2 formats and fight. In order to provide strong character customizing, there are wide format of equipments and various skills. You can build your character up to level 250 and there are more enjoyable factors in the game.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Testing it out now.

Rebirth is down to $4 from $7. Kinda niche but it's the software I cut my teeth on waaaaay back in the infancy of DAWs. I might pick it up for nostalgia's sake...

App Store

Falling Fred, by Dedalord S.R.L. FREE (from $0.99)

*** FREE for limited time only! Just for 99 cents extra get your hands on Ogama Ben Ladder (playing character!) ***
*** WARNING: THIS GAME FEATURES VIOLENCE AND GORE GALORE!!! ***

Lead Fred in his futile exercise to avoid the inevitable - becoming a human slice of minced meat. Dodge obstacles, avoid limb damage when possible but remember to keep your head attached to your shoulders (and without smashing it too much), or it’s the end of the trip for you.

Still, it's not all doom and gloom! Regardless of any massive injuries, Fred will survive to tell the tale, and re-enact his deeds.

Asteroid Dust is FREE for a limited time.
"Asteroid Dust is a fast paced arcade game inspired by one of the all time classic greats.
Enhanced with modern full HD graphics and mutiple touch control systems, rotate, thrust and blast your way through the asteroid fields.
Use your shields for emergencies and collect weapon upgrades to even the odds up as the levels get faster and more challenging."

Good Shot is one of the new FAAD titles.
"A truly unique new gaming experience designed specifically for the touch-screen interface. Inspired by the legendary Duck Hunt on the original NES (Copyright Nintendo) and expanded in to a satisfying and humorous storyline stretching across five levels and two different difficulties. The fun doesn't end there, with arcade free-play versions of each level sure to keep you hooked for much longer!"

Alien Space has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"The best space shooter in the AppStore has arrived! The mission: Pilot your ship into the heart of enemy space and destroy anything that gets in your way.
Unlike other shooters where the best the enemy AI can do is to run into you, Alien Space offers a wide variety of enemies wielding the same weapons available to you, and then some. Blasters, lasers, tractor beams, missiles, photon torpedos… they'll throw everything they can at you. Are you up to the task?"

Man, you folks who said Game Dev Story is addictive weren't kidding. Bought it, sync'd it and let it sit for a day. Got bored, figured I'd at least look at it for a minute or two. Started a game, and didn't stop playing for 4 hours straight, before I made myself turn it off. It really is hard to put down. I put another half hour into it today, and if that 4.5 hours was all I played, ever, it would've already been worth a buck.

Impressive.

[quote name='lito88']Hows the game? I passed on ea mma when it was .99 cents, might check this out.[/QUOTE]

The game is DECENT. I played for only a few minutes though. Shogun Vs Jones. Got my butt handed too. Its basically a dumbed down version of the console but it is still fun. Because its dumbed down, it makes the game much more accessible and less frustrating at times. I got a kick from it by just a few minutes of playing.

Only downside is there is no multiplayer. Other than that, if you are a die hard MMA fan, you should get it. If you are just looking for a fighting game with no MMA knowledge, pass.

Also, bgame2, I didn't expect Jake Shields to take GSP down. He did surprise me in the striking department. I think he did pretty well for his debut against the champ. I can see him being number one contender again soon.

EDIT: Looks like its not on sale anymore.

A Mental Mouse is the new FAAD featured game.
"A Mental Mouse is on a rampage! Guide him through vibrant and challenging levels as he wreaks havoc!
Balance the crazy biker mouse as he rides over cheese, hamburgers and other tasty obstacles. TILT your device or use the specially designed SLIDER system to reach the finish line as soon as possible.
Who says mice can't ride dirt-bikes?"

Turbo Grannies
is also being featured by FAAD right now.
"The nursing home is awfully boring!
Turbo Granny may be as old as the hills, but she can´t stand spending every day indoors at the slow nursing home. It´s deadening & Turbo Granny is bored to death! She misses all the action and excitement that she used to experience - a long time ago…
… and that is why she one day has had it; Turbo Granny takes her permobile and gets out the nursing home!"

Knife Toss
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Knife Toss is a humorous, casual shooter. A clown strapped to a spinning wheel, balloon targets, and unlimited supply of knives….enough said."
Float and Zombies Ala Mode (by the same people who did Knife Toss) are also available for FREE right now.

Berzerk Ball has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"How far can a geek fly?
Find out by joining gamers who have smashed the geek over 142 million times!!!"

Hmm slow period for sales on high quality games it seems (no offense to earlier posters), just feels a bit dry.

Bit of a tangent, downloaded Sam and Max when is was .99 and I have to say it's kind of a disappointment after playing it on PC. Probably won't buy BTTF because it just seemed like the framerate was terrible and the graphics were obviously lowered in the detail area. It's too bad because I bet with iPad 2 optimization they could get it looking and running just as smoothly.

Spartans vs Vikings is another Triniti extract being featured on FAAD.
"the VIKINGS have gone BACK in TIME and are INVADING SPARTA!
what would you get if you combined the strategy of RISK™ and the action of a CLASSIC HACK 'EM UP? this game!
garrison your troops on the big map, then move to the battlefield to fight out the actual battles for yourself!"

[quote name='n4styn4t3']In the market for an iPad. Should I go for a 16gb iPad 2 or a 64gb original? I think they're about the same price. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to play games get the ipad2. There are some games that will barely run on the ipad1 but run smoothly on the ipad2.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']If you're going to play games get the ipad2. There are some games that will barely run on the ipad1 but run smoothly on the ipad2.[/QUOTE]

like? I have an ipad 1 and have a huge amount of games, and have never encountered a game that barely runs. can you give me an example?

Id say get the new one unless you are the type to like every single one of your apps accessible at all times

EDIT: I also have never had an issue running anything on my ipad OG

Don't forget we have a very nice forum now for these types of discussions. Let's use it while we've got it. I suppose I should take my own advice, though. ;)

The deals are slim today. There is a Mahjong (matching) game that has gone free if anyone isn't already sick of these not-really Mahjong games. It's universal: http://appshopper.com/games/mahjong-deluxe

Race after 1977 has dropped to 99 cents again: http://appshopper.com/games/race-after-1977

[quote name='caltab']like? I have an ipad 1 and have a huge amount of games, and have never encountered a game that barely runs. can you give me an example?[/QUOTE]

Ive never played the game myself, but I heard Back to the Future is barely playable on the 1G iPad yet silky smooth on the 2G.

[quote name='crunchewy']Don't forget we have a very nice forum now for these types of discussions. Let's use it while we've got it. I suppose I should take my own advice, though. ;)

The deals are slim today. There is a Mahjong (matching) game that has gone free if anyone isn't already sick of these not-really Mahjong games. It's universal: http://appshopper.com/games/mahjong-deluxe

Race after 1977 has dropped to 99 cents again: http://appshopper.com/games/race-after-1977[/QUOTE]

Regarding Race after 1977, in the notes it says coming soon Universal version. Does anyone know if that is going to be a separate app or this one will be updated to be universal?

[quote name='n4styn4t3']In the market for an iPad. Should I go for a 16gb iPad 2 or a 64gb original? I think they're about the same price. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

was in the same boat. went with ipad2. i just said fuck it, im getting the new one. there might be new apps in development that will run better or only on the ipad 2. couldn't risk it. :)

[quote name='deletion']was in the same boat. went with ipad2. i just said fuck it, im getting the new one. there might be new apps in development that will run better or only on the ipad 2. couldn't risk it. :)[/QUOTE]

I thought about getting a first generation as well. However, I knew that every time I had a problem/slowdown in an app, or saw a game that said it was optimized for iPad 2 it would bother me.

That being said, you will probably use more space then you think. Many games are 500MB to 1 GB or more. I would try and go with at least a 32gb. I wouldn't mind reinstalling things when needed but I hate syncing with iTunes and in most cases, I don't think it saves your save games etc.

[quote name='AshesofWake']dammit! i wish it was for the itouch and i wish they would fix all the bugs i keep hearing aboot.[/QUOTE]

iTouch is not a real product name.

[quote name='pROvIs']Regarding Race after 1977, in the notes it says coming soon Universal version. Does anyone know if that is going to be a separate app or this one will be updated to be universal?[/QUOTE]

They've said it would be an update making it universal. I'm pretty sure I read the dev say that on toucharcade.com, but you could double-check there to be sure.

As far as iPad 2-only or optimized games, there are already ones that play more optimized on the iPad 2. Gears, for example. Game is freaking incredible looking on the iPad 2, but admittedly I haven't tried it on an iPad 1. In any case there is an option for the graphic quality and the highest option is only recommended for the iPad 2. Not even the iPhone 4.

Just remember the iPad 2 also has 2 built in cameras which serve a variety of purposes, not to mention its faster as others have said. Honestly, I think buying the original iPad now that its successor is out is sort of wasting money on older technology.

I bought an iPad 1 with 64gig and 3G for $529 from AT&T when the iPad 2 with 16 gig and no-3G is $499 (equivalent specs on iPad 2 is $829).

So, was it worth saving 36%? Absolutely, especially since I have 52 gigs in apps alone, and I have needed the 3G.

Plus, in a year if I want the iPad 3, I'll get good money for my iPad 1. People are actually selling the iPad 1 on eBay used for more than I bought it new.

I have an iPad 2, but I wouldn't say the iPad 1 is a waste.

If one...

1. Doesn't need or want the camera's for video calls (they suck and are useless for taking pictures etc. as the quality is so bad).

2. Doesn't plan on playing graphics heavy games or using processor heavy apps like iMovie.

...then the iPad 2 doesn't really add anything they need to warrant paying the extra money vs. getting a cheaper iPad 1 since prices have dropped so much on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back