iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brian234']I bought an iPad 1 with 64gig and 3G for $529 from AT&T when the iPad 2 with 16 gig and no-3G is $499 (equivalent specs on iPad 2 is $829).

So, was it worth saving 36%? Absolutely, especially since I have 52 gigs in apps alone, and I have needed the 3G.

Plus, in a year if I want the iPad 3, I'll get good money for my iPad 1. People are actually selling the iPad 1 on eBay used for more than I bought it new.[/QUOTE]

I would rather have the 16gb iPad 2 over the 64gb iPad 1 just because of how much faster the processor is. Also I don't need to have all of my apps on my iPad. I probably have more than what my iPad will hold, but most of them I never use so I don't even bother syncing it with the iPad.

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']I would rather have the 16gb iPad 2 over the 64gb iPad 1 just because of how much faster the processor is. Also I don't need to have all of my apps on my iPad. I probably have more than what my iPad will hold, but most of them I never use so I don't even bother syncing it with the iPad.[/QUOTE]

The only thing with not keeping all your games on your iPad is you lose your progress if you remove most games. Some do sink up with achievements though and base progress of that.

[quote name='Cmosfm']iTouch is not a real product name.[/QUOTE]

ok apple nazis. im so sorry. please forgive. 1st gen iTOUCH. is that okay?

[quote name='caltab']The only thing with not keeping all your games on your iPad is you lose your progress if you remove most games. Some do sink up with achievements though and base progress of that.[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest deal to me and why I hate deleting things and why if I could I'd pay the cash to upgrade to the 64gb. However, I would still be in the same boat in a month or two of adding apps.

[quote name='crunchewy']
They've said it would be an update making it universal. I'm pretty sure I read the dev say that on toucharcade.com, but you could double-check there to be sure.[/QUOTE]

I found the article you were referring to and picked this us. For anyone interested article is located at:
http://toucharcade.com/2011/04/26/race-after-1977-update/

Hope the game updates soon and is worth it.

[quote name='caltab']The only thing with not keeping all your games on your iPad is you lose your progress if you remove most games. Some do sink up with achievements though and base progress of that.[/QUOTE]

I was playing Chaos Rings on my iphone and had to do a restore. I was worried I would lose all my progress because I had heard this but somehow it picked up right where I left off. All my other games were just as I remembered them as well. Any idea?

[quote name='SilverBulletKY']I was playing Chaos Rings on my iphone and had to do a restore. I was worried I would lose all my progress because I had heard this but somehow it picked up right where I left off. All my other games were just as I remembered them as well. Any idea?[/QUOTE]

I'm new to Apple iOS so I may need to be corrected but what I would assume happened is that you did a backup restore. What we are talking about is when you delete an app and want to reinstall it later. There is no way to just back up an individual app as far as I know, its an all or nothing restore.

[quote name='pROvIs']I'm new to Apple iOS so I may need to be corrected but what I would assume happened is that you did a backup restore. What we are talking about is when you delete an app and want to reinstall it later. There is no way to just back up an individual app as far as I know, its an all or nothing restore.[/QUOTE]
That's mostly correct. An iTunes backup includes the Documents directory of each app which is the only directory an app has write access to (so this is where your saves go). The only way to restore that save through iTunes is to do a full restore of the iDevice.

Alternatively you can manually back up an app's Documents folder using iPhone Explorer: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/
It's free and does not require your iDevice to be jailbroken. This will allow you to copy an app's Documents folder to your computer, uninstall the app like usual, install it later, then copy back the old Documents folder using iPhone Explorer again.

[quote name='Cmosfm']iTouch is not a real product name.[/QUOTE]

You all know what someone means when they say iTouch. Way to sound like a pretentious prick.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']In the market for an iPad. Should I go for a 16gb iPad 2 or a 64gb original? I think they're about the same price. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

I was in the same boat. Being an apple fan since the early 90's, it is really about price vs how far along the product is. When the iPad2 came out, I read the reviews and realized that the faster processor is the only advantage over the iPad 1st gen. The cameras are horrible and just trying to take photo/video with a tablet is awkward. So when apple started selling the 16gb iPad for $349.99 I grabbed one, and put the money I saved toward my Nintendo 3DS. In my opinion, the iPad2 is just to hold people over until a true revision of an apple tablet comes along. By the time devs start churning out iPad2 specific games, a new iPad will be released and you will have wasted that extra hundred bucks or so just to be able to say you got to play the games before 1st gen iPad owners, or more likely just be able to say you got to play the same game on a higher graphic setting. Plus due to the current state of the american economy, the 1st gen iPad will hold a good value because mainstream american consumers will be willing to still pay around $300 for an apple branded tablet regardless if its only 16gb and cameraless, especially with iPad being a household name and comparable android tablets hitting the market at over the $500 mark. You have to tread lightly with apple, being a die hard fan over 2 decades, I have been screwed by them more than once *cough* G4 powerbook *cough* Plus if you are just now getting into the iPad scene, a 1st gen iPad will keep you busy way past the point of the release of the new iPad.

[quote name='lilman']Alternatively you can manually back up an app's Documents folder using iPhone Explorer: http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/
It's free and does not require your iDevice to be jailbroken. This will allow you to copy an app's Documents folder to your computer, uninstall the app like usual, install it later, then copy back the old Documents folder using iPhone Explorer again.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that app so I can remove a few apps from my phone without losing all the progress I've made in the game.

Back in the land of freebies:
Storm Airways has dropped to FREE for a limited time.
"A massive storm is approaching!
Guide the plane through the dark storm clouds and make your passengers safe!
Run away from the gargantuous death cloud that is following you!
Test yourself and your ability and check how many miles you can pilot before the death cloud swallows your plane!
Use the accelerometer to control your plane!"

DrawRace is the new FAAD main game.
"Drawrace introduces a completely new type of game-and control mechanics, which will keep you hooked time after time. Try to draw the best possible driving path and the optimal speed for the path – and watch how fast you are able to race through the tracks.
In addition to 20 closely designed, fun and challenging tracks, you can also race against all other players around the globe over the network mode – or if you are playing with your friends, you can immediately test, who has the best racing tactics in an exciting hot-seat multiplayer mode."

Pocket Dinosaurs 2
is also being featured by FAAD right now.
"Pocket Dinosaurs is back!
This time, dinosaurs find a new better way to the universe – The ultimate space ship.
The only thing we need to do is help dinosaurs get into space ship. Use the
slingshot, Aim then launch!
Let's see how many dinos will be shot into space ship in 60 seconds.
Pocket dinosaurs features hours of gameplay and lots of replay value.
Challenging physics based projectile in different environment stage. Also
you can easily find world top one score."

Bricks Tower is the new OpenFeint FGOTD.
"From the studio that brought you A.I.R Defense, Dalton the Awesome and Wave: Against Every Beat comes the next hit game, Bricks Tower!
Enjoy the classic tower building experience, but master it as well. Can you build the highest tower?"

100 Rogues is currently free, supposedly a great roguelike (universal app)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/100-rogues/id354011870?mt=8

Also Settlers HD is on sale (only the ipad version, regular version still regular price) for 99 cents
Settlers HD: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-settlers-hd/id371112669?mt=8

The sale description for Settlers seems to indicate that Uno HD and Spider-Man Total Mayhem HD should be on sale as well but they're still listed at regular price...

edit: one of my favorite puzzle games is free now too, Doodle Fit (also universal):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle-fit/id392912231?mt=8

[quote name='atregglypuff']100 Rogues is currently free, supposedly a great roguelike (universal app)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/100-rogues/id354011870?mt=8

Also Settlers HD is on sale (only the ipad version, regular version still regular price) for 99 cents
Settlers HD: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-settlers-hd/id371112669?mt=8

The sale description for Settlers seems to indicate that Uno HD and Spider-Man Total Mayhem HD should be on sale as well but they're still listed at regular price...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip on 100 Rogues, I have heard a lot of people talk about it.

As far as settlers it's been on sale since the ipad 2 launch and has old data regarding other sales. It has just never been updated.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Went with the iPad 2. Must have cheap apps? Also good cheap case?[/QUOTE]

I've been using the official apple cover (plastic not leather) and a netbook sleeve with zipper from caselogic. If you have a TRU around, they've been clearancing these for around $10 or you can find them online at Amazon for a low price too.

Honestly, it's the perfect combo for me because the cover is great and worth the money (I was a doubted until I used it) and the sleeve has a pocket in the front where I can store headphones and the power adapter if need be.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Went with the iPad 2. Must have cheap apps? Also good cheap case?[/QUOTE]

Plenty of great apps, I'd buzz through the front page first post to see what apps are universal.

As for a case, I'm looking for one that you can use in bed and it will stand. I got the smart cover and while it's cool and I'm glad I got it, it doesn't protect much and leaves marks where it doesn't touch the screen. I've been thinking of adding this to it though for the back.

http://www.amazon.com/splash-VAPOR-...TF8&coliid=I29GBITW24K3DM&colid=1W0IA6WT9XL9T

Is there a way to browse different game genres on the ipad? I haven't seen anything yet that compares to the ipod touch iOS where I could look at all the new RPG/Action/etc... games by category.

[quote name='LuisRM']Plenty of great apps, I'd buzz through the front page first post to see what apps are universal.

As for a case, I'm looking for one that you can use in bed and it will stand. I got the smart cover and while it's cool and I'm glad I got it, it doesn't protect much and leaves marks where it doesn't touch the screen. I've been thinking of adding this to it though for the back.

http://www.amazon.com/splash-VAPOR-...TF8&coliid=I29GBITW24K3DM&colid=1W0IA6WT9XL9T[/QUOTE]

I'm also looking for a bed stand - no luck yet. For back protection though, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended this: BestSkinsEver. I've had other brands of these skins in the past for other devices and BestSkinsEver is hands-down the most well cut, best feeling skin of it's kind. I have the back protector on my iPad 2 and I keep it in a neoprene sleeve.

Goozex can eat a d*ck. Enjoy your "F" rating by the BBB fellas.
sorry for off topic, but why do you hate goozex so much? lol.

I don't know about iPads, but my iPhone case from Casemate is awesome. I really like their stuff. It's light, looks cool, and was very reasonably priced. Might want to look into them.

StarDunk Gold is the main FAAD game right now.
"StarDunk is combining the best of basketball, massive online competition and retro games.
Features
- Massive online competition against all the players from the planet
- Powerful bonuses to increase your score
- Earn awards and unlock more than 20 unique balls, each with its unique capacities
- Create amazing new balls with a wide variety of abilities and visuals
- 60 FPS on iPhone/iPod 3rd and 4th gen with enhanced graphics and next-gen shaders.
- Add your friends to Plus+ and Gamecenter and play against them online
- Race to the top of global leaderboards for high scores glory"

Smoody is the current OpenFeint FGOTD.
"AN EXTRAORDINARY SPECIES HAS BEEN DISCOVERED IN DIFERENT PLACES OF THE EARTH AND THE SPACE! They are Smoodies and they want to find each other to begin a new era. Use your intelligence and creativity to help them to get together travelling through the space. Just tap, slide and release to find the way of taking the Smoody to the black hole using realistic physics and destroying the stage."

The Universal title Frisbee Forever is now available in the U.S. AppStore for FREE.
"Get ready for blast-off. Fly at breathtaking speed across more than 100 crazy tracks. Twist and turn in the California Theme Park, climb the majestic mountains in the Wild West or send the waves blazing in the Pirate filled Caribbean oceans. There’s a level for everyone!
Play with cool classic Wham-O® Frisbees® or brand new discs only available in Frisbee® Forever. Collect more than 100 Frisbees®, with plenty of trophies and secret bonuses to achieve."

Yay! Just bought an iPad earlier today.

Now to dig thru the thread for deals (if they're still on sale).

Thanks for making this thread

[quote name='FlipSide']Missed 100 Rogues for free but got on Settlers 99c sale..

Here is an APP for REAL MahJong players NOT the game where you just pair tiles.. this is the actual game and its really really good and FREE:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/taiwan-mahjong-hd/id421992859?mt=8

Although the screenshots is in Chinese, its english when you download it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this! Real mahjong is a lot more fun than the boring matching junk.

[quote name='FlipSide']Here is an APP for REAL MahJong players NOT the game where you just pair tiles.. this is the actual game and its really really good and FREE:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/taiwan-mahjong-hd/id421992859?mt=8

Although the screenshots is in Chinese, its english when you download it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I never thought I'd see an actual MahJong game instead of another bizarre tile-match offering. I've played MJ since I was a little kid and we still have hours-long matches when my wife and I get together with my parents. This is really cool. Now I just need to get an iPad so I can actually play the thing. . .

Is that Mahjong game good at teaching the game? I've always wanted to try it, but have no idea how you play. Well, I guess I'll just download it.

Also the free Frisbee Forever game has good reviews on iTunes. I'm downloading that now too. Thanks for the heads up.

Damn, I wish that MahJong game was iPhone compatible, or that there was at least an iPhone version . . . Oh well, downloading it anyway to have it for when (if) I eventually get around to getting an iPad.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is that Mahjong game good at teaching the game? I've always wanted to try it, but have no idea how you play.
[/QUOTE]

Same question. Is there a tutorial?

[quote name='keithp']Same question. Is there a tutorial?[/QUOTE]

There is an in-game guide on the menu that you have to read through, but no active tutorial. Plus there is no multi-player, which is kind of a bummer.

But it's a really good game anyway. Pretty fun the little I have played it so far.

In another bit of blatant plagiarism, something called Free Running has been released. If that's not Canabalt, I need to get my eyes examined. Does Apple even bother to look at half the stuff that's submitted for approval?

[quote name='Dimsdale']In another bit of blatant plagiarism, something called Free Running has been released. If that's not Canabalt, I need to get my eyes examined. Does Apple even bother to look at half the stuff that's submitted for approval?[/QUOTE]

Haha, Apple doesn't even bother to look at half the stuff that's reported to them as a problem. A couple of months ago, my account got hacked, and the gift card balance that I had on it was used to purchase some apps. All of those apps were by the same Chinese developer (and were, conveniently, all of the apps that this particular developer had on the app store... coincidence, you think?), and they were all "game guides" for console games. In the process of dealing with this with Apple, I decided to do a little investigating of my own, and I took text from the sample screen captures on the app store (no way in hell was I actually installing those apps on my device) and typed it into Google. Sure enough, it was all plagiarized. A couple of the guides (and the associated images, literally everything on the screen captures) came directly from IGN. Another couple from GameSpy. One came from GamesRadar. Given that these are professional, corporate sites who generate their own material and hold a copyright on it, I was pretty sure that this wasn't kosher. It took me less than a minute to discover this, but Apple's app review process had completely missed it?

So while I was dealing with the rest of it with them, I reported this issue to Apple. I got my money refunded pretty quickly. I checked a few weeks later, though, and those apps were still available for sale on the App Store.

It looks like those apps are finally gone, though as long as it took, I doubt it happened (at least directly) through action on my report. And the App Store is still filled with other "guide" apps which are likely similarly plagiarized.

[quote name='crunchewy']Gears has dropped to $1.99. I recommend it. It's quite fun and looks awesome on the iPad 2 (the app is universal):

http://appshopper.com/games/gears-2

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Gears has risen to $1.99 from $0.99. (It was raised to $2.99 for only a day, then lowered to $1.99).

[quote name='Dimsdale']In another bit of blatant plagiarism, something called Free Running has been released. If that's not Canabalt, I need to get my eyes examined. Does Apple even bother to look at half the stuff that's submitted for approval?[/QUOTE]

wow, that's fucking bullshit. semisecret released the source code a while back and these douche bags just put it on the app store.

shame on apple as well for approving this app.

[quote name='Brian234']Actually, Gears has risen to $1.99 from $0.99. (It was raised to $2.99 for only a day, then lowered to $1.99).[/QUOTE]

Doh! Oh, yeah, I paid 99 cents. Forgot about that. Sorry folks. I do think it's worth $1.99, but I suppose it's likely to drop to 99 cents again at some point.

[quote name='arcane93']Haha, Apple doesn't even bother to look at half the stuff that's reported to them as a problem. A couple of months ago, my account got hacked, and the gift card balance that I had on it was used to purchase some apps. All of those apps were by the same Chinese developer (and were, conveniently, all of the apps that this particular developer had on the app store... coincidence, you think?), and they were all "game guides" for console games. In the process of dealing with this with Apple, I decided to do a little investigating of my own, and I took text from the sample screen captures on the app store (no way in hell was I actually installing those apps on my device) and typed it into Google. Sure enough, it was all plagiarized. A couple of the guides (and the associated images, literally everything on the screen captures) came directly from IGN. Another couple from GameSpy. One came from GamesRadar. Given that these are professional, corporate sites who generate their own material and hold a copyright on it, I was pretty sure that this wasn't kosher. It took me less than a minute to discover this, but Apple's app review process had completely missed it?

So while I was dealing with the rest of it with them, I reported this issue to Apple. I got my money refunded pretty quickly. I checked a few weeks later, though, and those apps were still available for sale on the App Store.

It looks like those apps are finally gone, though as long as it took, I doubt it happened (at least directly) through action on my report. And the App Store is still filled with other "guide" apps which are likely similarly plagiarized.[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed at how much of this seems to happen in the App store. In general I think they will have to greatly improve their ability to prevent copyright infringement and blatant fraud before they will ever be taken as seriously as they probably should be as a full fledged platform by the industry as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back