iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Universal? And 99 cents? Can't resist. Worms 2 purchased. I have this on my Xbox and have never actually played it, so I don't know why I bought it for my iPhone/iPad, but I suspect I'll be more likely to play it on my iOS devices....

EDIT: woohoo - I got a free Boost 2 download code from the dev via toucharcade. Yeah!

Slug Bugs is currently available for FREE.
"Slug the Bugs and punch the buggies! Hear the cars speed past you and immerse yourself in thrilling 360-degree audio. Just don't slug the cops!
Ghost 3D Audio creates an unreal experience that reaches beyond your headphones. You'll get addicted to this simple, yet devilishly fast-paced game.
Watch an entire town spring up as you advance through the game! Rolling hills and mansions complete the cartoon themed city so adorable, you'll want to live there."

Just got an iPad so I never noticed if iPad games were on sale or not in the past. Do you guys think most ipad apps will be on sale monday because of wwdc?

[quote name='Plasmolyze']Just got an iPad so I never noticed if iPad games were on sale or not in the past. Do you guys think most ipad apps will be on sale monday because of wwdc?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say most iPad apps will be on sale but some might. Hopefully some good ones.

[quote name='JJSP']XMen Arcade dropped from $4.99 to $2.99 in anticipation of the new movie coming out. Didn't even know it was on iOS.

For anyone having app store issues, blame WWDC. ;)[/QUOTE]

So it was $2.99 on release day - 2 days ago - jumped up to $4.99, and then dropped again to $2.99 all within 3 days... wow.

Mahjong Elements is the new main FAAD offering.
"Behold the true elemental power of this aesthetically appealing Mahjong experience. Supports Game Center achievements and leaderboards. Mahjong Elements offers over 50 hours of exceptional Mahjong solitaire gameplay in one complete package. No further in-App purchases necessary.
The menu design and background images were conceived and created together with Feng-Shui experts and other Chinese artists in order to revive the fascinating technique of ancient Xiesheng watercolor.
It is said that viewers of this art benefit from improved energy flow and lasting mental balance. This game will provide you that very peace and tranquility, whenever you may need it. "

Big Pollution is another current FAAD game.
"While BP is getting ready to start drilling again we released this game to commemorate 1 year anniversary of the Gulf Oil Spill disaster.
Your mission: Save the Gulf from an environmental catastrophe by quickly navigating your cap into the deep and seal the broken wellhead.
As you descend to the bottom, dodge, glide, and tilt your way around deep sea creatures and past hazards."

Hexius is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Experience a new kind of addictive puzzle game, with 3 fun game modes, global/friends scores, weekly score challenges, and achievements.
Features :
★Time Attack Mode - connect matching hexagons as fast as possible, until time runs out - the faster you play, the higher the score multiplier goes!
★Level Challenge Mode - collect all the targets to move onto progressively harder levels. The faster you go, the more time is carried over to the next level - find out how far can you go before time runs out!
★Strategy Mode - take your time to work how to get the best score in 30 moves, making the best use of Multiplier bonuses."

[quote name='Ichigo1993']Planning on getting an iTouch for apps and games. I don't know whether to get an 8 or 32. I won't use it much for music (maybe only 100 at a time) and no videos whatsoever. Just apps. Would I be good with 8?[/QUOTE]

Depends. Regular apps are tiny but games with high production values (and even some not) can be quite large. Chaos Rings, Infinity Blade, Dead Space, these games are all around 300-600MB I think.

Hexius is universal, for all you iPad hoarders out there (the other two aren't).

Personally, I probably won't bother with hexius. I'm sick of these puzzlers. Unless someone can make a really compelling sales pitch.

Thanks as always Dims!

[quote name='Dimsdale']
Hexius is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Experience a new kind of addictive puzzle game, with 3 fun game modes, global/friends scores, weekly score challenges, and achievements.
[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts about Puzzle Quest 2 on an iPad 1? The reviews are very mixed, with dealbreaker bugs and other stuff. I wouldn't bother playing on my 3GS, but how does it run on an iPad 1?

[quote name='espy605']Depends. Regular apps are tiny but games with high production values (and even some not) can be quite large. Chaos Rings, Infinity Blade, Dead Space, these games are all around 300-600MB I think.[/QUOTE]

Go with 32gb!! Heck even the 64gb is not too much more than the 32 if u can afford it They tend to fill up with these great sales :).
Otherwise you'll be playing musical apps and taking stuff off to make room eventually, then back on to play something.

[quote name='Felder71']Any thoughts about Puzzle Quest 2 on an iPad 1? The reviews are very mixed, with dealbreaker bugs and other stuff. I wouldn't bother playing on my 3GS, but how does it run on an iPad 1?[/QUOTE]

I have had no issues with the game on my iPad1 except load times are a little bit longer that they should be. I have not updated to the newest version so I don't know, I might not update after reading some of the newer reviews saying it freezes up, it's a universal app so the people having the issue might be iPhone users. Anyone have the newest version on iPad?

I was just running Puzzle Quest 2 (latest version) on an iPad 1 and it worked fine. I only tried it for about 10 minutes, but everything seemed fine, aside from some slight sluggishness with loading. Overall, seemed fine to me.

i maxed out my character on puzzle quest and never had any major problems, I guess it may have crashed once or twice in the dozens of hours I played. pq2 is one of my favorite apps.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Anyone have Worms 2? I remember the first worms was terrible on the touch screen for some reason. It's 99 cents and I'm tempted.[/QUOTE]
I've had no problems with the controls on Worms HD, they are just about the same controls for Worms 2 so if you can't get used to it maybe you should pass.

[quote name='Escargoexpress']Does worms have hotseat/pass the phone multiplayer? It would be silly if they didn't, but there's no mention of it in the description[/QUOTE]

Yes there is a hotseat mode for both Worms games.

Quick heads up. Target weekly ad shows 20% off sale on iBooks cards and App cards. Starts tomorrow, Sunday

Might be good to stock up with WWDC around the corner. Never know what sales may pop up for apps. Funny that they don't list iTunes cards

Weekly police drama game Cause of Death just abandoned their paid app and is continuing all the free weekly episodes on their free app only. This annoys me, an artifact of Apple's awful system for the App store.

Jelly Drop is the new main FAAD game.
"Jelly Drop is a hilarious and addictive tilting platform game. Collect bonuses as you drop including the mini stink bomb which will smash through platforms with a gas powered burst."

Chick Rush is another FAAD title right now.
"Chick Juju is no ordinary chick. She not only crosses the road, she owns it. Having escaped from chick-napper One-Eyed Fox, Juju can't wait to go home. Speed, danger, and glory! Chick Rush is extremely simple and super fun!"

Doctor Who: The Mazes of Time
is currently FREE for all you iPadders.
"For the first time on the iPad, enter the world of Doctor Who in a brand new action puzzle adventure!
An intrepid traveller through time and space and the last of the powerful Time Lords, the Doctor is armed only with his incredible intelligence and his sonic screwdriver. Join him and his human companion, Amy Pond, as they race to save an innocent family attacked by a rogue Dalek and hurtled into the depths of history. Your journey will take you from ancient Incan temples, to the frozen tombs of Telos and a stunning finale on a Dalek ship. Defeat your favourite enemies, solve devious puzzles, and restore peace throughout time!"
EDIT: There's also a version for iPhone and iPod gamers: http://itunes.apple.com/app/doctor-who-the-mazes-of-time/id404556035?mt=8

A Universal app, DeathFall HD is available for FREE for a limited time.
"Hold the device upright. Tilt to move.
Collect relics.
Avoid spikes...
Collect all relics in an area for a Perfect.
...A Perfect will cause you to glow briefly.
Collect relics while glowing for bonus points."

Best Buy is having a 15% off deal on iTunes cards. If you're a heavy user of iTunes, I highly recommend stocking up, you'll save money in the long run.
It says 2 per person, but you can just place additional orders of 2 cards each and they'll go through.

Best Buy iTunes Cards Link

[quote name='JazzFlight']Best Buy is having a 15% off deal on iTunes cards. If you're a heavy user of iTunes, I highly recommend stocking up, you'll save money in the long run.
It says 2 per person, but you can just place additional orders of 2 cards each and they'll go through.

Best Buy iTunes Cards Link[/QUOTE]

Target currently has the ibook\app cards for 20% off, are they the same thing?

[quote name='rockx4']Target currently has the ibook\app cards for 20% off, are they the same thing?[/QUOTE]

I believe that they are

[quote name='caltab']I believe that they are[/QUOTE]

The sale only applies to App and iBook cards. I tried scanning the regular itunes cards and they were regular price. My Target only had 3 App cards and none of the iBook variety. I picked up a $25 App card for now.

I'm not sure why the itunes cards aren't included in the sale since they all give you credit on the itunes store.

I am sure all the card function the same. It's just the graphics on the card that is different. Similar to Microsoft having Call of Duty point card that you can use it for other purchases.

Yes, the iTunes, App Store and iBooks cards all work the same way. They all go through the same iTunes account so they're all the same. They're just branded differently.

[quote name='Felder71']Any thoughts about Puzzle Quest 2 on an iPad 1? The reviews are very mixed, with dealbreaker bugs and other stuff. I wouldn't bother playing on my 3GS, but how does it run on an iPad 1?[/QUOTE]
No problems here on my iPad 1. This is my first PQ game, so far it's pretty cool. Loading between areas could be faster, but no crashes or bugs encountered.

[quote name='rockx4']Target currently has the ibook\app cards for 20% off, are they the same thing?[/QUOTE]

Why was this not mentioned in any thread or the Target (and Best Buy for their 15% sales) ad threads?! This is a pretty hot deal!

I am posting this in the Best Buy and Target threads now.

[quote name='Stimes']Puzzle Quest 2 is on sale for $3.99, this is the lowest it has ever been. I bought it a couple months ago for $5 and it's still one of my most played games on my iPad.
http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-quest-2[/QUOTE]

So I bought this and I owned PQ2 on my DS. I feel like some things are different. Did they add or change some quests and dialog? Either way I'm hooked all over again and felt $4 is a fair price for such a large game.

I wish some of the menu's were larger though. It's makes it tough for a tall guy with big hands to play on a iphone (puzzle fighting is fine. I'm specifically talking about everything outside of that). iPad has to be the best way to play this

I'm mulling over PQ2. I liked PQ1, but never actually finished it. It was fun, though. I must admit, though, that I tried the demo of PQ2 on the Xbox and didn't really care for it. I didn't see the 3D environment to be an improvement over the original's simpler presentation. Probably I can get past that, though. Hmm.

I'd be in for Tecmo Bowl if it was universal, but since it isn't I'm going to pass, especially knowing that the controls aren't too good.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm mulling over PQ2. I liked PQ1, but never actually finished it. It was fun, though. I must admit, though, that I tried the demo of PQ2 on the Xbox and didn't really care for it. I didn't see the 3D environment to be an improvement over the original's simpler presentation. Probably I can get past that, though. Hmm.

I'd be in for Tecmo Bowl if it was universal, but since it isn't I'm going to pass, especially knowing that the controls aren't too good.[/QUOTE]

Well pq2 isn't on sale anymore if that makes deciding easier.

As a guy who loved Puzzle Quest 1, I found PQ2 serviceable but really bloated, slow, and expensive compared to Dungeon Raid, which scratches the puzzle-RPG itch far better, deeper and longer, plus it feels so much faster and built for the iPhone interface. It's a puzzle-RPG roguelike and it just has a crazy amount of depth. $2.99 at regular pricing, though I don't know how often it goes on sale. There's a lite version, so everyone considering PQ2 should check that out instead.

[quote name='caltab']Tecmo bowl's controls are horrible. Might be worth paying a buck now though while it's on sale in hopes of an update.[/QUOTE]
Yep, my thoughts exactly...have it on 360 and DS, nowhere near as good as the original Tecmo Super Bowl but for 99 cents its worth it...especially if they were to throw it some updates.

Thanks for the heads up on this sale.

Not a game, the latest FAAD main offering is 3D Music Player.
"Are you crazy about music but just not satisfied with the audio output of your iPhone? 3D Music Player can enhance your listening pleasure.
3D Music Player is a very simple - yet extremely effective - audio player with top-notch sound enhancements. Just download the app to your iPhone or iPod and you will be ready to enjoy your music in 3D stereo sound in a matter of moments.
Simply select songs, artists or the playlists you would like to play in 3D Music Player then press play. Included in the app are extensive equalizer options. Make the music suit your tastes. The equalizer presets include rock, jazz, classical, pop, R&B, live, full bass and full treble. In addition, you can manually adjust the real-time multi band equalizer to match your mood."

AstroJam is a game and it's another FAAD featured title right now.
"UFOs are serious business and AstroJam makes it fun! Based on an actual test used to train USAF pilots and wrapped in candy-sweet graphics, AstroJam will train your reflexes in a fun, entertaining gameplay experience.
The asteroids around you are moving faster and faster and you'll need your skills to make it out in one piece. Don't worry, there's plenty of power-ups for your ship, floating all over the galaxy!"

Fingerzilla
is the OpenFeint FGOTD at the moment.
"Fingerzilla is a fast paced, explosive game that you can play anywhere, anytime, even if you only have a few minutes. All you need is your iDevice, a free finger and the desire to obliterate virtual cities and people.
It’s really easy to rain destruction with Fingerzilla. A quick tap will smash something, so go nuts and use your power. When you’ve demolished one area, you can scroll the map to find other sections that you would take pleasure in destroying. Along the way, your destructive acts will be accompanied by B-movie sounds and visual effects to keep you in the mood and enhance your gameplay."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back