iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='b3b0p']Says intro price is $1.99, but it shows up for $4.99. What gives? Anyone pay or see this for $1.99?

Says Yesterday, Today the price is $1.99 and will return to $4.99 on the 25th.[/QUOTE]

I bought it this morning and only paid $1.99. Don't know what's up.

[quote name='seanr1221']Just saw Angry Birds summer update...so...much...angry birds...[/QUOTE]

It's just too much angry birds. It's more than I can play. I can't keep up with all these releases.

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']This one (field and stream) is on sale for FREE now:

http://appshopper.com/games/field-stream-fishing

For the record FISHING KINGS which is not on sale now is my favorite[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks a lot. Just downloaded Field and Stream and will keep an eye out for Fishing Kings to go on sale. Looks like I just missed the sale on that by a week or so.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I can only manage to take hideous, grainy pictures with my Iphone. What good is a photo app?[/QUOTE]

Procamera is in my opinion the best camera replacement app, and I have a LOT of photo apps. Camera+ is also pretty decent, but procamera does all of that and more.

Photoforge2 is my current favorite photo editor, pretty user friendly and the pop cam add on brings a lot of other fun stuff that would normally be spread across several apps. Iris is very good for someone who knows photoshop well.

Iphoneography.com is a good resource for app reviews and tips, etc. You can pm me if you have any questions about editing pictures.

Cause of Death has removed the paid app and now it's free with weekly episodes and DLC to catch up. They've put the previous volumes of DLC on sale for 99 cents each for the first two extra volumes.

It is more or less a visual novel/text adventure version of Law and Order only without the awfulness of the average L&O.

[quote name='guessed']Man, I paid 99 cents for it. Still haven't played it. I wasn't even 100% sure I had bought it, had to scroll through all my "purchased" items until I found it (not near any wifi or my computer). Now that they have a "purchased" section, they need to make it searchable.[/QUOTE]

If you scroll to the very top of the list you can search it.

And I paid 99 cents for Death Rally but felt like it was worth it. Pretty fun game.

Can't seem to hunt this information down, but maybe I'm just being lazy. Does anyone have a definitive release date on Final Fantasy Tactics for iPad? It's one of my favorite games and I'm really looking forward to it (and I expect Square will happily gouge me for the pleasure).

[quote name='RollingSkull']I can only manage to take hideous, grainy pictures with my Iphone. What good is a photo app?[/QUOTE]

My iPhone 4 takes quite good outdoor photos. Indoors they are grainy, but not bad, really. I don't use the flash. I'm rarely impressed with the HDR mode, though. Occasionally I turn that on and end up picking the non-HDR version every time. Anyway, aside from using a photo app for iPhone photos, If you have an iPad it's a great portable photo editor for your still camera, via camera connection kit. I use Photogene and that's pretty good - better on the iPad then the iPhone.

Also Death Rally is a lot of fun. I paid for it and felt it was worth it, so definitely grab that while free.

In addition to Death Rally, FAAD is currently featuring Ghost Ninja: Zombie Beatdown (which is FREE for the first time).
"Don't you hate it when you're about to meet up with your girlfriend, and you think "Going see my girl and all will be well. No zombie's or anything." But guess what? ZOMBIES! Plus she's been captured. Now your ghostly ancient great grandpa Endo from Japan shows up and he's all, "You caused this!", and you’re all, "NOOOOOHH!” He's telling you it’s all your fault and now YOU have to save Amber AND THE WORLD! You know, that old thing.
Mark has accidentally unleashed Onryo, a witch from ancient Japan who's the sworn nemesis his ancient grandpa Endo.
I know what you’re thinking. "How do I stand a chance against a growing horde of zombies and the evil Onryo looming in the shadows of my darkest fears?!" So do you go back to your bed and hide like yella-belly, lily livered varmint? Or use your training, katana, shuriken, double jump, and magic to slice up some zombies?...No, you don't go to bed!.. that was... I was trying to... come on! It’s the ninja thing."

The new OpenFeint FGOTD is Line Birds.
"Guide these cute birds through a world full of danger. Unlock new birds as you progress through the game. Each bird has its own special ability from getting invisible or using time warp to a powerful explosion ability."

Free App Calendar is showcasing the mostly-excellent puzzle matcher bitFlip right now.
"A new FLIP on the classic match-three genre! bitFLIP combines quality aesthetics and sound to create a fun and frantic take on a game that we all enjoy. Play with your earbuds and get lost in the experience.
Match three or more pieces by swapping bits on the grid. For a real advantage, double tap to flip bits and clear the layer below."

Death Rally is one of my favorite iOS games. Can't recommend this highly enough. Addictive, with lots of cool stuff to unlock, and multiplayer is coming soon.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Cause of Death has removed the paid app and now it's free with weekly episodes and DLC to catch up. They've put the previous volumes of DLC on sale for 99 cents each for the first two extra volumes.

It is more or less a visual novel/text adventure version of Law and Order only without the awfulness of the average L&O.[/QUOTE]

I fell behind a few weeks ago, and never got through Volume 4. It looks like they're not even updating the paid version anymore, which is frustrating, as I just downloaded the free version and those ads across the top of the screen are somewhat annoying.

Hey, you know what would be awesome? If someone could spoil how Sworcery ends for me! I don't want to play it any further. I got the gold triangle thing and quit there. Please and thank you.

[quote name='Thrakker']I fell behind a few weeks ago, and never got through Volume 4. It looks like they're not even updating the paid version anymore, which is frustrating, as I just downloaded the free version and those ads across the top of the screen are somewhat annoying.[/QUOTE]

They abandoned the paid app because they, according to them, were not making enough money. They wanted to consolidate apps to get more numbers, more money, more buzz, and less of a workload for their overworked tech group for four apps. The CoD facebook page was overcome from its usual frenzy of fangirls shipping "Maltara" with about 50/50 shipping/rage at app drop.

The free app banners are a pain, but if you prevent the app from connecting to the internet, you can be free of them. Kill it with task manager and then turn on airplane mode after you have the weekly ep downloaded.

If you want to get caught up, I'll spoiler the big Vol 4 tweests as follows:

The Flores cartel is no more. The dad was murdered by the girlfriend of the son, pinning it on Mal. The son was taken to jail. Girlfriend's family is probably going to take over.

Genevieve used her magic mind control powers to get into the FBI Guy's head and when he revealed he had been talking to her, Natara broke up with him FOREVER FOR REALS. FBI Guy then decided to do what all beta males do when sexually frustrated: Start killing people. He kills Zero and is now killing murderers for Genevieve.

And that's pretty much it.

Cow Trouble is the new main FAAD game.
"Oh no, there's Cow Trouble! Farmer Diddle's Cows got stuck in the clouds, and now the Superstars can't get milk. It's up to you, with an arsenal of Balls, to bop, thump, thwack, tip, and tumble those Cows back down to the ground -- where they belong."

Space Freight is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Space Freight throws players into the shoes of a galactic navigator as they attempt to help their mother-ship – the Galactic Explorer SV-3 – reach as many new and exotic planets as possible before it runs out of energy.
To succeed in their quest of exploration for as long as possible users need to direct numerous cargo ships at once towards the Galactic Explorer SV-3 all while keeping a keen eye out for – and battling – dangerous alien enemies who attempt to thwart them in their progress. To ensure gameplay stays varied throughout Space Freight includes five unique cargo ships for players to direct each of which offers users diverse benefits and challenges. Furthermore the game includes three unique alien enemies for players to battle as they fly from one planet to the next, inching ever deeper into the cosmos.
There’s no shortage of motivations and inter-personal competition in Space Freight as well. The game is integrated via Apple’s Game Center as well as OpenFeint, which provides interactive online leaderboards where players from across the globe can compete for high scores and see who is able to guide their mother-ship the furthest. Space Freight also features unlockable online achievements to reward committed players and motivate them to be the best space freight navigators they can be."

Anyone vouch for these games? I have Queen's Crown & Slice It! already...

[quote name='Azuvidexus']SALE Alert!! Tons of Com2uS games are $0.99 Only for a LIMITED TIME !!!!!!

• Inotia 3: Children of Carnia
  • Tower Defense®: Lost Earth
  • Third Blade
  • Queen’s Crown
  • Slice It!
  • Zombie Runaway
  • Chocolate Tycoon
  • Inotia 2: A Wanderer of Luone
  • Sniper vs. Sniper: Online
  • Heavy Gunner 3D
  • Caligo Chaser
  • World of Tunes
  • Chroncles of Inotia: Legend of Feanor
  • Crazy Hotdogs
  • Trapped: Undead Infection
http://global.com2us.com/blog/?p=3079[/QUOTE]

The Inotia games are pretty good. I played a good bit of 2, and I like it a lot more than I liked either of the first two Zenonia games. I played a tiny bit of the third Inotia, and it looks like more of the same, which definitely isn't a bad thing.

Wingmen: World War has dropped to FREE for the first time.
""Wingmen: World War is a new twist in RTS genre. It's more fun than you'd think to have dogfights on RTS format." Appsjp.com
WAR IS MONEEEYYY!!!
Alien is invading earth and Wingmen Corp is there to defend it!. . .and make lots of cash in the process.
Take the role of a general in this strategy game and command squadrons of fighter planes as they battle off the alien invaders."

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Anyone vouch for these games? I have Queen's Crown & Slice It! already...[/QUOTE]

Tower Defense is one of my new favorites right up there with Creeps. 99 cents right now but the HD version is $4.99

Com2uS's Trapped: Undead Infection looks very interesting -- a 16-bit Resident Evil, some say -- but the critics panned it for some deal-breaking reasons. Of course, that was when the game came out...in 2009. I wonder if the devs have addressed that stuff since. Most of the recent user reviews are positive, but I'm not too trusting of user App reviews.

I've been collecting some board/card games with single-device play for the iPad and just got an alert that UNO HD dropped from $4.99 to $0.99. Looks decent especially for the price point.

SpongeBob Marbles & Slides and SpongeBob Marbles & Slides HD have both dropped in price to 99 cents. There are also lite versions to try:

http://appshopper.com/games/spongebob-marbles-slides-lite
http://appshopper.com/games/spongebob-marbles-slides

http://appshopper.com/games/spongebob-marbles-slides-hd-lite
http://appshopper.com/games/spongebob-marbles-slides-hd

It appears to be a physics puzzle game of some sor. I'd tell you more except that the app store seems to be having trouble, at least here. It's intermittently failing on me, so I haven't been able to download the trial game yet.

EDIT: It's a draw lines to create platforms, then start the balls rolling game, to get them to the finish. Seems OK, but I only tried one level. The Lite version is confusing at first because it looks like all you can do is go buy the full game! However if you swipe left or right you can get to the free levels.

Flying Piggy HD seems pretty fun and is free for a limited time. It's essentially a combination of a breakout game and one of those draw a line to bounce the character games. Oh, and of course trying to catch the "Angry Birds" craze. In any case you slingshot the piggy to get things started, and then draw cloud lines that stay for a few seconds and then poof away, to bounce the piggy back up with the angle affecting where it goes (clouds bounce things?) The scoring is a bit confusing, but I think that basically the faster you finish the level the more points you end up with. Not a bad idea!

http://appshopper.com/games/flying-piggy-hd

It's iPad only and there is no iPhone version. I have no idea why it couldn't be universal or otherwise play on the iPhone, but it doesn't.

The Dungeon saga just released and is at a 1 week intro price of .99. The game is a mix of Puzzle quest and Dungeon Raid. I've played it a bit and it seems extremely promising.

Also, the developers of Game Dev. Story and Hot Spring Story are releasing their third iOS tomorrow, Pocket Academy, for 3.99. It should be out in the US at 11 pm eastern. Not on sale, but I know there are a lot of fans of the developer on here.

Edit: as pointed out below, pocket academy is out now. Also, just noticed game dev story is on sale for 1.99 because of the launch of the new game.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']Argh, I really want Pocket Academy, but must resist until it hits $1.99.[/QUOTE]

I'll wait until it drops to $0.99, same with Hot Springs Story ^_^

[quote name='crunchewy']SpongeBob Marbles & Slides and SpongeBob Marbles & Slides HD have both dropped in price to 99 cents. .[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='caltab']The Dungeon saga just released and is at a 1 week intro price of .99. The game is a mix of Puzzle quest and Dungeon Raid. I've played it a bit and it seems extremely promising.

Also, the developers of Game Dev. Story and Hot Spring Story are releasing their third iOS tomorrow, Pocket Academy, for 3.99. It should be out in the US at 11 pm eastern. Not on sale, but I know there are a lot of fans of the developer on here.

Edit: as pointed out below, pocket academy is out now. Also, just noticed game dev story is on sale for 1.99 because of the launch of the new game.[/QUOTE]

Picking up Dungeon Saga based on your recommendation, I havent purchased anything in weeks lol

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back