iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I asked on toucharcade and I got the answer. You *can* turn off accepting online challenges. Here's how:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1803574&postcount=222

Game is now saved for me! It seems to me that they should have put up a help screen explaining how this works. iTunes review updated and score changed to 4 stars, not 5, because it was still aggravating and I had to look it up. 5 stars when they add it to an initial help screen, or at least one *somewhere*.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back in town after being gone for a few days on business. Things sure seem busy around here, too. Went ahead and downloaded Volt and Dungeon Saga so I can have some new titles to play when I finally make it back home tonight. Also, League of Evil is back down to .99 if you've missed it being on sale in the past.
"The world needs your help! Evil scientists worldwide have joined forces forming a "League of Evil"; the only super agent who can stop them is YOU!
As a special trained agent you can double jump, flipping your way over obstacles. You are also training in wall jumping gaps to reach new heights. So get ready to show your sick acrobatic moves across 60 challenging levels! Fight your way through your mission and find the mad scientist to deliver a well earned pixel punch in the face!
The world is counting on you. Now go save everyone!"

[quote name='HerbFoster']There is definitely an opt out option. In the solo game you can turn "ACCEPT" temporarily on or off.

You can also go to the "SOLO PLAY MODE" main menu, press the button with two heads to the right of the aforementioned title (top center), and turn off fight requests.[/QUOTE]

Beat me to it. However, how do you temporarily turn ACCEPT off? I saw no option for that at all. As noted, I did learn about the two heads icon and turning it always off that way.

Finally starfront collisions hd is .99 :D
Another really good game is big city adventure new York city hd and it's only 1.99

[quote name='crunchewy']Ok, I asked on toucharcade and I got the answer. You *can* turn off accepting online challenges. Here's how:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=1803574&postcount=222

Game is now saved for me! It seems to me that they should have put up a help screen explaining how this works. iTunes review updated and score changed to 4 stars, not 5, because it was still aggravating and I had to look it up. 5 stars when they add it to an initial help screen, or at least one *somewhere*.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on this. I too was confused / annoyed by repeatedly being drawn in to online lagtacular fights while in solo play trying to figure out how to play.

I'm very interested in Asphalt 6, but I already have Fast Five, Reckless Racing, Sega and Sonic All Stars Racing, and Death Rally. You guys think it's worth it?

A few impressions fr Street Fighter IV Volt -

If you already own SFIV, the price is right to upgrade for the additional characters... I can see why they didn't just do this as DLC because it seems as if the characters animations' are all smoother - this is definitely noticeable as you're moving around on the screen. It seems much less jerky than before. That online thing is kind of annoying and I wish they made it more apparent that you could turn it off. As a full featured game, it's worth the $0.99 asking price, that's for sure.

[quote name='thirtytwoutside']A few impressions fr Street Fighter IV Volt -

If you already own SFIV, the price is right to upgrade for the additional characters... I can see why they didn't just do this as DLC because it seems as if the characters animations' are all smoother - this is definitely noticeable as you're moving around on the screen. It seems much less jerky than before. That online thing is kind of annoying and I wish they made it more apparent that you could turn it off. As a full featured game, it's worth the $0.99 asking price, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Is it retina display optimized?

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']I'm very interested in Asphalt 6, but I already have Fast Five, Reckless Racing, Sega and Sonic All Stars Racing, and Death Rally. You guys think it's worth it?[/QUOTE]

Yes. It's a very good racing game for the iPad. Easily worth the .99

[quote name='outphase']Is it retina display optimized?[/QUOTE]

No, but it's a fun game and it's 99 cents today only (going up gradually to full price, increasing each day). Well, fun once you turn off the damned auto-accept!

Haha, I got Starfront last week for regular price, so you can all thank me for it being on sale now. ;) Ah well, provided entertainment for a couple of flights.

Definitely in for NOVA 2, though. Been wanting to play it for a while.

Ok, another non-game, but the Appshopper app has been updated and now it, among other improvements, finally shows iTunes app ratings! That was the one thing holding me back from loving it - I hated that you couldn't see the ratings. Now it's there. Yeah! And there's other nice improvements:

- Top 200 rankings
- App ratings
- Links to 3rd party app reviews
- Automatically load apps when scrolling to the bottom of a list
- New filters for search
- Email notification settings
- Disable push notifications during certain times of the day
- In app AppShopper account registration
- Share an app's info via Twitter, Facebook, email, and more
- Various bug fixes

It didn't show up in my list of updates, but I was able to download the update by going to it directly:

http://appshopper.com/utilities/appshopper

Appshopper and BargainBin both pulled their Itunes app rating viewing capability a while back at Apple's request. If it was added back in, it was Apple that let them do it, not their ineptitude up to this point

Might bight on SFIV Volt, but I don't know how well a fighting game will work on a touch screen. I have a hard enough time with virtual dpads already.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Appshopper and BargainBin both pulled their Itunes app rating viewing capability a while back at Apple's request. If it was added back in, it was Apple that let them do it, not their ineptitude up to this point[/QUOTE]

I don't recall laying blame for the shortcoming. In any case it's a very nice update. Aside from average ratings, I really like that you can now just copy a link to paste elsewhere. Another "finally" on that one. I decide to pay the 99c fee to get rid of ads.

Speaking of which, Hidden Object Crosswords, which is merging of hidden object games and, uh, crosswords, dropped in price to $1.99 and seems to have good reviews:

http://appshopper.com/games/hidden-object-crosswords

[quote name='RollingSkull']Appshopper and BargainBin both pulled their Itunes app rating viewing capability a while back at Apple's request. If it was added back in, it was Apple that let them do it, not their ineptitude up to this point[/QUOTE]

I was just going to say that. BargainBin became useless to me after it lost ratings. I hope the ratings stay in, though I really should know better than to trust app store reviews.

[quote name='topplehat']Might bight on SFIV Volt, but I don't know how well a fighting game will work on a touch screen. I have a hard enough time with virtual dpads already.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth: I'm what some people might consider a "hardcore" Street Fighter player... been that way since SFII in the arcades and I logged over 300 hours on SFIV and countless more on SSFIV. For me, Street Fighter on iOS works quite well. Sure, the virtual dpad is no replacement for an arcade stick, but the way it's set up allows for pretty good gameplay and is accurate most of the time. Specials and combos are all easy to pull off and everything. Plus the game is $0.99 right now.

(I promise I'm not a Capcom shill!)

I can highly recommend Volt to anyone who is interested. There are a few problems (lag, balancing, etc), but it's a fun game nonetheless. If you're on the fence, get it while it's a buck.

[quote name='mykevermin']Whatever, it'll still be $17 at release.

Let's talk about sales instead, folks. SALES.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Rule of thumb for pricing Square games is to think of how much a CAG feels it should cost then double that price. That will be the price. FFT should cost $8-$10 so it will cost $16-$20.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Agreed! Rule of thumb for pricing Square games is to think of how much a CAG feels it should cost then double that price. That will be the price. FFT should cost $8-$10 so it will cost $16-$20.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm a cheaper CAG than you... I feel FFT should be around $3.99 to $6.99... So $7.99 to $13.99? I wouldn't pick it up at that price lol.

As for SFIV Volt, I like it. And I'm a terribad fighter. I was furious when I couldn't play solo in peace either. I started looking hard for options and FINALLY noticed the 2p icon. It's poorly placed and it sinks into the background too much...

Not sure if it's posted, but I just got Bubble Pop for free. Feels kinda like PopCap's Astro Pop. Good time killer for the price of free. :)

EDIT: It wasn't apparent at first, but in Bubble Pop, you do not need your finger to be ON the incoming piece you're trying to aim. Your finger can be higher up in the play window. Think displaced touch control.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Late June early July has been the date for a few weeks now[/QUOTE]

I know but it got delayed again.

Anyways, I just got N.O.V.A 2 for the iPad and I deleted it after a few minutes. Couldnt stand it. Maybe its cuz im not a fan of Halo.

Also, NBA JAM for the iPad has dropped to 99 cents. Highly recommended!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/nba-jam-by-ea-sports-for-ipad/id426282304?mt=8

EDIT: Actually EA is having a big sale. 99 cents for Mirrors Edge, Battlefield Bad Company, just to name a few.

[quote name='haunted hallows']Does anyone know if there are any app/itunes card deals this week? I want to load up on these gameloft and capcom sales!![/QUOTE]

If u shop at cvs, u get cvs $5 cvs bucks back when u buy a $25 iTunes card.

Massive EA sale. I just picked up NBA Jam iPad and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit iPad for 99 cents each. It looks like a lot of their games, both iPhone and iPad are dropping to 99 cents, possibly all of them, but I'm not sure yet. There's also Tetris iPad, Sim City Deluxe iPad, Scrabble for iPad, etc, as well as iPhone games.

[quote name='lunasicc'] Also, NBA JAM for the iPad has dropped to 99 cents. Highly recommended!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/nba-jam-by-ea-sports-for-ipad/id426282304?mt=8

EDIT: Actually EA is having a big sale. 99 cents for Mirrors Edge, Battlefield Bad Company, just to name a few.[/QUOTE]

Many thanks to you bud! Picked up a shit ton of EA games I've been waiting for a price drop on.

I knew keeping a spare iTunes card would come in handy.

Mirrors Edge iPad for me too! I really enjoyed that on my iPhone, but that was a while ago. For 99 cents Ill play it again on the iPad. Great sale!

You guys recommend any of these EA iPad games? I've already got Mirror's Edge and Dead Space... don't really want NBA JAM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back