iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Trucks & Skulls Nitro is "being modified". There's also an HD version for iPad, but it doesn't look like it's free. Both versions have good reviews. I'll try to get the iPhone version again later.

As far as the EA games, Scrabble for iPad is very good. It use to suck, but they greatly improved it. It's better then Words with Friends. So if you like Scrabble, definitely pick that up while it's 99 cents.

[quote name='crunchewy']Massive EA sale. I just picked up NBA Jam iPad and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit iPad for 99 cents each. It looks like a lot of their games, both iPhone and iPad are dropping to 99 cents, possibly all of them, but I'm not sure yet. There's also Tetris iPad, Sim City Deluxe iPad, Scrabble for iPad, etc, as well as iPhone games.[/QUOTE]

This sale is awesome! Monopoly, NBA Jam, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 (iPad versions) are all $.99 for the first time. I have been waiting forever for Monopoly for the iPad to drop. Thanks

Cross Fingers, by the same people who did EDGE and Perfect Cell, is currently available for FREE.
"Mobigame, the team behind the multiple award winning EDGE and Perfect Cell returns in full force with Cross Fingers, a unique game which challenges you to combine solid pieces in a gigantic tangram puzzle.
You will need to exercise your brain, imagination and - unique for a puzzle game - your reflexes and dexterity to complete all 390 levels! For unlimited replay value, unlock the Arcade Mode, which puts you in the middle of a frenetic machine where the challenge is to survive and beat the top score."

Legacy: Mystery Mansion
is one of the current FAAD featured games.
"Can you solve the mystery of the abandoned mansion?
Legacy, a hugely entertaining quest puzzle game in a “match three” style, the game offers you the possibility to reveal the secrets of the ancient mansion, which you inherited from a distant relative with mysterious past.
Solve the mystery of the haunted mansion and restore it to its former glory! Collect parts of the missing antiques from each of the rooms; drop each of the pieces off the bottom of the screen by quickly matching the objects around them.
Be quick and don’t forget to use the bonuses!"

Pirate Jump is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Yo-ho-ho - a pirate's life for me. Lead the pirate on a treasure hunt by tilting your device to control his direction as he jumps from platform to platform. Capture the treasures for extra points and a jumping boost! Great Caribbean theme and music accompany you on your journey.
Now with moving platforms, platforms that break, cannons, pistols, flying birds and pirate bombers! Nice music and sound effects from SomaTone Interactive Audio.
Thar be doubloons awaitin' ye lily-livered landlubber!"

Can we get a consensus on whether appshopper or itunes links should be posted? I do like appshopper links because it provides a wealth of information that itunes does not, especially with ratings listed. However if Cheapy makes money off the referral itunes link then I do want to support CAG.

[quote name='Liveforlaughs76']Can we get a consensus on whether appshopper or itunes links should be posted? I do like appshopper links because it provides a wealth of information that itunes does not, especially with ratings listed. However if Cheapy makes money off the referral itunes link then I do want to support CAG.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Though I didn't know the tid bit about itunes link being referral that can generate revenue for CAG.com

this is MADNESS
between Gameloft, EA (and Steam), I have bought the following:
all for 0.99 otherwise stated

Gameloft
Dungeon Hunters 2 HD
Uno HD

Capcom
Street Fighter IV Volt

Team 17
Worms 2 Armageddon

EA
Scrabble HD
Monopoly HD
Tetris HD
Max and the Magic Marker HD
Mirror's Edge HD

Secret Exit
Zen Bound 2 HD

SEGA
Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing HD (1.99) Deal DEAD

thinking of getting Bit-trip here rather than Steam, any views?

EDIT: added more purchases

The appshopper link vs iTunes link thing has come up before and the consensus was to use iTunes so we can help keep the bills paid, but it's not a requirement.

I personally only post iTunes.

Damn it's been a busy past 2 days. Bought so far:

Starfront Collision HD
Asphalt 6 HD
NOVA 2 HD
NBA Jam HD
Transformers DOTM
Street Fighter IV Volt

just blew 20 over a few days

Amateur Surgeon HD
Robot Unicorn Attack HD
NBA JAM HD
Dead Space HD
Mirror’s Edge HD
Max & Magic Marker HD
Tetris HD
The Game of Life HD
Scrabble HD
Monopoly HD
Risk HD
Dungeon Hunters 2 HD
StarFront: Collision HD
UNO HD
BIT.TRIP.BEAT HD
Zen Bound 2
Worms 2 Armageddon
Street Figher IV Volt
Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing HD (1.99, deal over)

still thinking or not to spend on
NFS:Shift or Asphalt 6 HD,
NOVA 2 HD or Bad Company,
SimCity or Settlers
Red Alert?
Transformers?

[quote name='RollingSkull']You people actually use Itunes links to buy your apps? I just go to the app store on the phone when I see stuff from here.[/QUOTE]

I do too, that's why I link to iTunes because it takes you straight to the app store on my phone. I only cag from my iPhone.

Anyone vouch for transformers? If it plays like guerilla bob with deceptacons, I'm down.

[quote name='crunchewy']I want CheapyD to make money, sure, but the appshopper links are 10x more useful. I always do apphopper. Sorry CheapyD.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this. Appshopper is more helpful, although I always click over to iTunes after if I like what I see on Appshopper.

EA has all IOS games on sale for .99 Cents Today! If someone else has already posted, I apologize, this my first post. I got NBA Jam and NFS Hot Pursuit for my IPad 2! I think they are usually $10 each. Enjoy!

Has anyone bought Puzzle Agent 2? $7 seems high, first of all. One of the reviews in the App Store says it is "shorter and easier" than the first one. If that is true, I may not want it at all!
I enjoyed PA, and was looking forward to "2"...

I know this has been discussed before, but help would be appreciated since I don't know how to find a direct answer.

Quick question: How can I buy iPad games/apps without an iPad? I want to start buying some of these since I will definitely buy the next iPad (#3?) once its released, so I wanted to take advantage of the prices now (0.99 games and such). Anyone?

[quote name='nightmare452']I know this has been discussed before, but help would be appreciated since I don't know how to find a direct answer.

Quick question: How can I buy iPad games/apps without an iPad? I want to start buying some of these since I will definitely buy the next iPad (#3?) once its released, so I wanted to take advantage of the prices now (0.99 games and such). Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Just download itunes.

[quote name='GAMESHARQ']Just download itunes.[/QUOTE]

So buy'em straight up on itunes and they are in my "profile". Ok, I'll try it once I get home. Thanks

[quote name='TheRock88']Damn it's been a busy past 2 days. Bought so far:

Starfront Collision HD
Asphalt 6 HD
NOVA 2 HD
NBA Jam HD
Transformers DOTM
Street Fighter IV Volt[/QUOTE]

How is transformers. When I looked at it the reviews seemed kind of low

As far as using links or not, I use the links. If I'm reading on my phone/iPad, that's a no-brainer. If I'm reading on my computer it's also a no-brainer as long as you've turned on "Auto Download" on your iPhone/iPad (in the Store settings in the Settings app). Then you buy it on your computer and it automatically downloads to your devices too. I posted about this already being there in the Apple iOS forums, general thread, but I'm sure a lot of people don't read that, so I'll mention it here too. Go into the Settings app, then tap "Store" and turn on Auto Download for Books, Music and/or Apps. Bingo! Note too that you can stop the download on your computer if you don't need it there (such as on my work computer, which I don't sync with). All you need to do is get the process started, then you can stop the download.

EDIT: you can also turn Auto Download on in iTunes on your computer, so you won't have to copy the apps over next time you sync. Only thing I've noticed, and it's a bummer, is that updates don't get auto downloaded, only new purchases.

I think I'll go ahead and get Tetris HD for my iPad while I'm thinking about it. The reviews are mixed, but it's only 99 cents so I'll give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody know what you get when you buy Hunters HD: Episode One for $2.99, is that the full game or are they now just charging for the trial?

Feed Me Oil (ipad) dropped to 99 cents as did the behind the scenes app (not a game) The Final Hours of Portal 2 (ipad).

Ultimate Hangman is once again available for FREE for a limited time.
"Have you ever wondered what it would be like if the hangman drawing came alive? That is just what happens in our Doodle Hangman theme. It has multiple animations per sequence so you never know what he will do next. Special escape animations occurs if you guess word when on ninth letter. Chillin' Chalk is our school house chalkboard theme where you get to play in landscape mode. Christmas Snowman has a snowman that disappears as wrong letters are chosen and Flower Power has flowers with parts that fly away. These last 2 themes provide for relaxing hangman play without the violence. :)"

[quote name='kklems']How is transformers. When I looked at it the reviews seemed kind of low[/QUOTE]

Only played for about 5 minutes but it's kinda disappointing to me so far. Havent gotten to any parts where you can transform yet but for the most part, its your typical twin stick shooter. A pretty generic one at best. As of now, I feel like I wasted a buck.

Love these dollar sales.. going to pick up NBA Jam, Transformers, Battlefield 2, Mirror's Edge (upgrading from the iPhone version to the iPad version.. love this game so much), Need for Speed Shift, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, aaaaaand maybe Sim City.

[quote name='Kush']I'm giving away a few codes for Meganoid (http://itunes.apple.com/app/meganoid/id440967670) for anyone interested. Details can be found here.

It's a fun little platformer similar to League of Evil for those interested.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this. I have Meganoid on my Android phone, but it's so small that it's impossible for me to read the text, so I really hope I win the iphone/ipad version for my ipad. It's a very fun game IMHO.

I retweeted your tweet and followed you on Twitter.

Thanks again!

[quote name='wilflare']still undecided on Need for Speed Shift and Hot Pursuit
Battlefield or Nova?[/QUOTE]
NOVA and it's not even remotely close.

I bought Hot Pursuit and it feels pretty solid. I like it a lil better than Asphalt 6. Still deciding if I should bother picking up Shift if I already got Hot Pursuit.

[quote name='kklems']How is transformers. When I looked at it the reviews seemed kind of low[/QUOTE]
When I looked at reviews, the 1-stars seemed to be from people who don't realize it's a good idea to reboot your iPhone after downloading a new app.

[quote name='Bioterror']Feed me oil hd is on sale for .99
sorry no link I'm on my phone[/QUOTE]
A ton of other Chillingo apps are $0.99, too: Defender Chronicles, Pro Zombie Soccer Apocalypse, Big Boss, etc. Can't speak on their quality, personally.

[quote name='nightmare452']I want to start buying some of these since I will definitely buy the next iPad (#3?) once its released, so I wanted to take advantage of the prices now (0.99 games and such). Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Honestly I wouldn't bother. It'll be at least another 6 months before the next ipad, and within that time there will probably be new versions of most of the apps. And sales are pretty commonplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back