iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused about World of Oil HD. The app is free and contains a sample of gameplay. Trying to in-app purchase the full version takes me to Gas Tycoon 2. It is just a skin or something with addon levels?

[quote name='shyawayfantom']I'm confused about World of Oil HD. The app is free and contains a sample of gameplay. Trying to in-app purchase the full version takes me to Gas Tycoon 2. It is just a skin or something with addon levels?[/QUOTE]
Unless your post was the most ridiculous non sequitur I've ever seen on CAG, the game everyone has been referencing these past couple posts is called Feed me Oil HD
http://appshopper.com/games/feed-me-oil-hd
http://itunes.apple.com/app/feed-me-oil-hd/id422035154?mt=8

[quote name='wilflare']alrighty
how does Asphalt compare to the 2 Need for Speed[/QUOTE]As someone that has purchased them all:

NFSU>NFSHP>NFSS>A6

Hey all. I'm trying to decide between Need for Speed Shift and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two games and which one you would consider better?

[quote name='iowaholdem']As someone that has purchased them all:

NFSU>NFSHP>NFSS>A6[/QUOTE]

thanks!
I can't find NFSU :/

any word on Reckless Driving HD?
or is Death Rally sufficient

Backbreaker 2: Vengeance is the new main FAAD game.
"The million-selling Backbreaker Football is back with a vengeance - and this time YOU tackle! Backbreaker 2 again raises the bar for graphics, physical animation and pure fun. You spoke, we listened: tackling, trucking, jumping – it’s all here! Take down the ball carrier in Vengeance Mode, or fight your way to the endzone in the classic Tackle Alley mode. Whatever you do - this is the best Backbreaker yet, so enjoy the ride!"

Doodle Squares HD
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Doodle Squares HD is a simple and fun arcade game. Try to survive as long as possible while collecting as many black squares as you can to increase your score. Collect different types of cool powerups to help you survive longer and achieve a better score. Just stay away from the dangerous red squares and you'll be fine… A short tutorial is included on first launch to help you with your first steps."

I haven't bought any apps since February, and haven't looked at this thread or anything else in a long time, but stumbled into the app store on my iphone today, and saw that Call of Duty zombies is finally cheap, $1.99. I'm in love with Black Ops Zombies on Xbox (played for 100-150 hours or something), and have always wanted to check out the old maps, so this is great. It went on sale yesterday, and someone else already posted about it, but if you're interested in this game, this is a rare sale.

I'm checking out the rest of the sales, might grab Zenonia 3 and NOVA 2, even though I bought and then barely ever played their predecessors. I need to stop and remind myself I never actually play the games I buy on my iPhone. I also am looking at Dead Space, Tiger Woods, and NBA Jam. $1 is so cheap, and I still have $8 left on my account from the card I redeemed for Zombies.

So far I grabbed the ipad HD versions of NOVA2, Dungeon Hunter2, Starfront, Sacred Odyssey, Mirror's Edge & Monopoly and from my brief time with each of them I can definitely recommend every one of them at this price. Great sales indeed.

Thanks for all the updates guys. I picked up Backbreaker 2 and FINALLY Call of Duty: Zombies. I only have $4 in my account, and usually only buy games at $.99, but I've been waiting for COD:Z to drop for so long, I bit. Now just waiting for a drop on Infinity Blade and I'll be set!

So can anyone tell me if I should get COD Zombies on ipad for the better graphics, or on iphone with 4 maps? I'm leaning towards the iphone version for the extra maps.

I realize I could buy both for less than the regular price of one, but this IS cheap ass gamer after all

[quote name='bbedwards']So can anyone tell me if I should get COD Zombies on ipad for the better graphics, or on iphone with 4 maps? I'm leaning towards the iphone version for the extra maps.

I realize I could buy both for less than the regular price of one, but this IS cheap ass gamer after all[/QUOTE]
I would personally say the iPad version since it's a bigger screen and you ultimately get more out of it (although more maps is tempting...) I'd only go for the iPhone one if you really love playing this game on the go. I don't think it's worth going for the smaller screen version.

I already own NBA Jam for the iPhone (got it for $.99 also a while back), is NBA Jam HD for the iPad worth the upgrade? is it harder to play on the iPad? I am thinking the controls are harder since the iPad's screen is bigger. Any thoughts?

[quote name='tenzor']I already own NBA Jam for the iPhone (got it for $.99 also a while back), is NBA Jam HD for the iPad worth the upgrade? is it harder to play on the iPad? I am thinking the controls are harder since the iPad's screen is bigger. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It is easier to play on iPad than the blown up iPhone version, and looks much better too. Def worth the $.99

[quote name='bbedwards']It is easier to play on iPad than the blown up iPhone version, and looks much better too. Def worth the $.99[/QUOTE]

..This

[quote name='tenzor']I already own NBA Jam for the iPhone (got it for $.99 also a while back), is NBA Jam HD for the iPad worth the upgrade? is it harder to play on the iPad? I am thinking the controls are harder since the iPad's screen is bigger. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bbedwards']It is easier to play on iPad than the blown up iPhone version, and looks much better too. Def worth the $.99[/QUOTE]

I have the exact same question, but for Mirror's Edge. Anyone can answer that?

[quote name='miriamleo']I have the exact same question, but for Mirror's Edge. Anyone can answer that?[/QUOTE]

Yes to both. I own the iPhone version for both mirrors edge and NBA jam and the .99c for a 10" version is 100% worth it.

Honestly, every ea game at 99c is worth it.

[quote name='bbedwards']So can anyone tell me if I should get COD Zombies on ipad for the better graphics, or on iphone with 4 maps? I'm leaning towards the iphone version for the extra maps.

I realize I could buy both for less than the regular price of one, but this IS cheap ass gamer after all[/QUOTE]The two maps that the iPad version is missing are very popular, and will probably be the two maps that I will play the most. That is a tough decision, I'm surprised that they didn't put the other two maps in the iPad version. If you have an iPhone/Touch and want to play it on there at all, then obviously grab the iPhone version. The better graphics might be nice, but the content is what should be most important.

And grabbed Backbreaker 2 while it's free, I've always liked the first one. One of the few games that has always stayed on my iPhone/iPod Touch.

ePig Dive Treasure Hunter is one of the new FAAD games right now.
"Join the brave Eddie Pig in this thrilling new adventure in search of wonderful treasures in the mysterious waters of the South Pacific. Thousands of wealth stolen by the Privateer Sir Francis Drake and the treasures of Juan Esteban Echeverría Ubilla XVIII are submerged there!, but you must find them!. But beware, you will fight a vengeful ghost Pirate, angry octopuses, hungry sea turtles, deranged and poisonous jellyfish, dangerous pufferfish and the impressive, legendary giant whale Mocha Dick, all in a race against time before your air runs out !. But not everything is so terrible, do not worry, you can get on a submarine and get extra energy to accomplish your task."

Top Trumps Collection is the current OpenFeint FGOTD.
"This is the app to start building your ultimate Top Trumps collection, from legendary Gumball 3000 supercars to dangerous Dinosaurs and classic James Bond characters with even more to come!
With official stats and pictures, Top Trumps is the world's coolest ‘War’ card game.
Check out vital statistics and learn history from each card, before pitting them against each other in single player or challenge your friends in the super cool device-to-device multiplayer mode."

FMX Riders
and Icarus-X are also both available for FREE for a limited time.
"FMX Riders is an Arcade Freestyle Motocross Racer loaded with features, the most important being it's FUN!
Swipe across your rider when in the air to do flips and spins! It's plainly intuitive!
Whether it's going through the World Circuit Career mode, challenging your friends with your best Replays/Ghosts, fighting your way to the top of the 15+ Leaderboards or upping your rank in the Online Multiplayer, FMX Riders is here to deliver!"

"Icarus-X is a Full 3D Vertical Shooter, featuring fast paced action, epic boss battles, challenging achievements, downloadable replays and the mandatory online leaderboards!"

I went on a spending spree after you CAGs went on about the EA games, etc. I bought CoD Zombies, Dead Space, BFBC, Scrabble, Dungeon 2 HD & NBA Jam. I'm enjoying NBA Jam the most. It's making me blurt out loud, "whoa!" "damn!" and "boom Shaka laka!" :lol:

I see everyone pumped about the COD:Zombies sale, but no opinions on the game. I know this is a sales thread, but a yay/nay would be nice, especially since I'm not big into FPS on iPhone and don't really like Activision as a company.
Thanks.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I see everyone pumped about the COD:Zombies sale, but no opinions on the game. I know this is a sales thread, but a yay/nay would be nice, especially since I'm not big into FPS on iPhone and don't really like Activision as a company.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Then why the heck would you consider it? You have two strikes against it before even trying it so just move along and use your $$$ for something else...

Starfront collision for iPhone and the HD version for iPad are both 99 cents. The iPad one is about 6 or 7 bucks normally. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, it's basically a Starcraft ripoff and includes three full campaigns and up to 4 player online multiplayer.

Ea has a ton of stuff on sale this weekend. Dead space is finally on sale again so I got it for 99 cents. Here's a list of sales I found
http://theappplanet.com/ea-fourth-of-july-sale/

[quote name='Ed_']Then why the heck would you consider it? You have two strikes against it before even trying it so just move along and use your $$$ for something else...[/QUOTE]
I don't like baseball, but I realize a lot of homeruns happen when a batter has 2 strikes.
If it's a well-done game I'll still buy it. But IGN's review is irrelevant: it laments the price and lone map, neither of which is an issue now. iTunes reviews are 99.9% trash. I trust the CAG community.

I got COD Zombies and it KICKS ASS. But, I am a fan of the series. To answer my own question from before, the iphone version is what I decided on for the extra maps. I like it so much I'm considering getting the ipad version too (even though iphone version on ipad looks pretty decent).

[quote name='bbedwards']I got COD Zombies and it KICKS ASS. But, I am a fan of the series. To answer my own question from before, the iphone version is what I decided on for the extra maps. I like it so much I'm considering getting the ipad version too (even though iphone version on ipad looks pretty decent).[/QUOTE]
I have both versions. To me the graphics of the iPhone version are fine at 2x. It's worth getting the iPad version just for the optimized controller interface. Very nice to be able to knife and reload without reaching across the screen.

If you can only get one version go with iPhone. The two additional maps are well worth it. Plus I think it runs more smoothly on iPad 1.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I see everyone pumped about the COD:Zombies sale, but no opinions on the game. I know this is a sales thread, but a yay/nay would be nice, especially since I'm not big into FPS on iPhone and don't really like Activision as a company.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]I thought I did discuss it, but absolutely yay. I love COD Zombies on Black Ops, and this is a terrific portable version of that. The controls work surprisingly well, and the online play was smooth with a friend that I had buy it, although the lack of voice chat is disappointing. The game looks great, especially considering it came out almost 2 years ago. If you're at all interested or curious about it, it's worth the $2. And anybody that wants to play online, send me a PM.

Are their any Petville, zoo keeper, cityville type games on Ipad/Iphone that doesent require in app purchases to make the game enjoyable, its for my girlfriend.

A "New & Noteworthy" selection, Bad Rabbit is FREE for a limited time.
"Break Free!! (Run for your life!) ‘Bad Rabbit’ needs your help to escape from prison!
Bad Rabbit is a highly anticipated new fast pace game where Mr. Bad (Rabbit) escapes from jail chased by corrupt turtle prison guards and mean police helicopters. The goal is to run away as far as you can.
Simple tap controls move Bad Rabbit (you) in different directions around obstacles. While on the run, set new distance records and collect coins along the way. Get Special Items to eliminate your surrounding enemies and the Shield Item that protects Bad Rabbit (you) from enemy attack.
The Turtle Prison Guards and Police Helicopters get more aggressive the further you get from Jail."

[quote name='Poor2More']Are their any Petville, zoo keeper, cityville type games on Ipad/Iphone that doesent require in app purchases to make the game enjoyable, its for my girlfriend.[/QUOTE]

I just downloaded this free app called tiny tower. It's incredibly addicting so I imagine she'd like it. IAP can buy tower bucks but you can unlock these in the game. So IAP can't actually get anything exclusive, they just get things faster.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I don't like baseball, but I realize a lot of homeruns happen when a batter has 2 strikes.
If it's a well-done game I'll still buy it. But IGN's review is irrelevant: it laments the price and lone map, neither of which is an issue now. iTunes reviews are 99.9% trash. I trust the CAG community.[/QUOTE]

I personally have grown to hate Activision as a company but love CoD Zombies on the iPhone. It is probably my favorite game and the only game i consistently go back to. The FPS controls are the best i've used on the platform. No brainer pickup at the sale price.

[quote name='DtotheP']1 Bit Ninja hit the sweet spot

$1[/QUOTE]

You know when you've played too much 1-bit ninja when you scroll too far down on a web page and think "might as well keep going since I can't go back"

How does 1bit Ninja work on ipad? Anyone tried? I am tempted to buy it, but worried that it will be like League of Evil which is impossible to play on the Ipad because of design.

1-bit plays well on the iPad since there are no buttons, you just press anywhere on the bottom left quarter of the screen to run and the bottom right quarter to jump. Anywhere in the top half to pan around in 3D.

I decided to buy Asphalt 6 to go along with Need For Speed Hot Pursuit (which I like a lot - if anyone is using Autolog, I am Crunc. Please add me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back