iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DtotheP']Got my hopes up for isynthesizer, but it's iPad only. That makes me a sad panda.

Though, I've spent like $1000 on native instruments stuff in the past month so I really don't need yet another synth app.

Still want though.[/QUOTE]
Sorry about that iOS oversight. I didn't even notice that it was iPad-only. I still downloaded it. One of these days, I'll actually buy an iPad for all the free apps I've accumulated. . .

In the meantime, here are a few more iPhone-friendly freebies:

Magnetar: Space Fighter
"We’ve breathed new life into the good old genre of space scroller. These breathtaking landscapes of dazzling beauty of Universe are worth seeing even for those who has never been at the controls of the spaceship. And if you are an experienced ace, well… Five unique missions and innumerable armada of enemies are waiting for you."

Basketball Toss HD
"Just pick up a basketball and shoot it into the basket by finger with your direct sense, like you do at real world. Just shoot basketballs into the basket as soon as you can, no time for you to aim, just play by your finger with your direct sense!
Two different mode and 3 wonderful places for you to challenge your self and polish your basketball skill! First place is a colorful basketball toss machine, this is an easy mode. The second place is a beautiful street basketball field, the field is a little bit bigger and get a little bit difficult. The last place is Match field, the backboard is so far and it becomes real challenging!"

Blue Shadow Games Pack 1
"This pack gathers 3 different games with different gameplays and styles. * Help save a devastated civilization and win the war with a new brigade of mechanical soldiers and powerful weapons in the epic adventure of Death Cop – Mechanical Unit. * Run, jump and eat as many flowers as you can in BAA! Run, an entertaining arcade game with an intuitive gameplay. * Play with a funny caveman in a prehistoric world full of powerful enemies and dangerous environments in Crosak; this action game is only available in Blue Shadow Games’ Pack 1."

[quote name='DtotheP']Got my hopes up for isynthesizer, but it's iPad only. That makes me a sad panda.

Though, I've spent like $1000 on native instruments stuff in the past month so I really don't need yet another synth app.

Still want though.[/QUOTE]

You'll want to check out the new Sunrizer synth when it gets released for the iPhone. http://www.beepstreet.com/ I have this for the iPad and it is jaw-dropping / ear-melting amazing.

[quote name='Tigershard']Are there any good roguelikes for iPad/iPhone? Craving something like Castle of the Windows (if anyone remembers that game)[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing 100 Rogues.

Are there any good Roller Coaster Tycoon/Theme Park-esque apps besides Happy Theme Park? I'm not really a big fan of the whole in-app purchases idea. Thanks!

[quote name='Billy Jean']Tiny Tower is FREE
It was recommended on Kotaku and I've been playing it for the past few days. Its really addictive and feels similar to Game Dev Story. It also keeps going even when youre not playing it. Pretty sweet game for being free.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiny-tower/id422667065?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2[/QUOTE]
I hate the games that take years to play (that aren't battle oriented like Evony and such). They are just too damn boring... I did really like the premise tho. I just wish it didn't take so long to do anything

iTunes working for anyone else? As of right now I can't buy anything or update my games. It says the network connection timed out.

[quote name='jason506']iTunes working for anyone else? As of right now I can't buy anything or update my games. It says the network connection timed out.[/QUOTE]

unplug your router and plug it back in

didnt realize it was always free... but I figured Id let people know of its existence. I dont think its that bad, the pixel art is cool and I like the idea of just setting it up and then going and doing something else and letting it essentially play itself. I dont know of many ios games that do that. I still think it feels alot like Game Dev Story, and everyone on this forum seems to love that game hence why i posted it.

[quote name='jason506']iTunes working for anyone else? As of right now I can't buy anything or update my games. It says the network connection timed out.[/QUOTE]

same here...can't download anything

I see that on App Shopper, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars hasn't been on sale since February and we just had a 4th of July sale for a lot of devs. Does anyone know of any other sales that may be coming up that might include this title?

[quote name='SadExchange82']I see that on App Shopper, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars hasn't been on sale since February and we just had a 4th of July sale for a lot of devs. Does anyone know of any other sales that may be coming up that might include this title?[/QUOTE]

Probably not. I think it's only been on sale once. & rockstar doesn't like iOS because they don't make money.

I get an "Unknown error. Try again later." message. I've been getting that since around 7:00 CST so something definitely ain't right in AppleLand.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Picked up Dungeon Solitaire and holy crap is this game awesome and addicting. Perfect fast little 5-10 min time killer, yet at the same time I just managed to sit and play it for like 2 hours straight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am hooked now too.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Picked up Dungeon Solitaire and holy crap is this game awesome and addicting. Perfect fast little 5-10 min time killer, yet at the same time I just managed to sit and play it for like 2 hours straight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am hooked now too.

I think the outage has to do with Mac OSX lion being out maybe today or just doing maintenance getting ready for it. Since apple is only releasing it as a digitial download I think they want to make sure they don't have a MobileMe on their hands ;).

[quote name='Stimes']Thanks, I am hooked now too.[/QUOTE]
I found some in game unlock codes for dungeon solitaire 164 209 433 and 325 676 793.
Hope they help your addiction.:)

[quote name='CaptainZoom']I found some in game unlock codes for dungeon solitaire 164 209 433 and 325 676 793.
Hope they help your addiction.:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for those.

Now that the AppStore is back online, here are a few deals you might want to investigate:

Sky Force has dropped to FREE for the first time in over a year.
"Pick one of three ships and blow your way to victory in this ultimate classic arcade shooter! Sky Force brings you some pure blasting action in 8 immersive levels filled with vicious enemies, big bosses, destructible objects and good old Earth to save! Take profit of explosive weapons, useful power-ups, and such unlockables as heat-seeking missiles or the amazingly powerful laser attack! Sky Force is an breathtaking and action packed top-down scrolling shoot‘em up which delivers fun and addictive gameplay which will keep you entertained for hours! Get this game now and stand up against the enemy - the Earth deserves its new hero!"

Knight's Dash is being featured on FAAD right now.
"MOUNT your TRUSTY STEED, WIELD your TRUSTY SWORD, and CHARGE THE ENEMY!
★★★★★
✓ multiple unique ENEMIES
✓ 4 awesome POWER-UPS
✓ infinite level DISTANCE
✓ 4 immersive ENVIRONMENTS
✓ game center LEADERBOARDS and ACHIEVEMENTS"

Battle Bears -1 and Battle Bears: Zombies! are both available for FREE for a limited time.
"Join OLIVER, RIGGS and WIL on a space odyssey none of them are anywhere close to thrilled to be experiencing. Defend the flagship Ursa Major from an onslaught of confused creatures hewn from the deepest, darkest corners of the cosmos' disturbed imagination."
"BATTLE BEARS stars OLIVER, a teddy bear stuck behind enemy lines who must fight off unending waves of Pink Bears wishing to HUG HIM TO DEATH."

[quote name='CaptainZoom']I found some in game unlock codes for dungeon solitaire 164 209 433 and 325 676 793.

I went ahead and searched for more because of you. I found 2 more expansion codes.

Curious Elixirs - 164-209-433
Cackling Kobolds - 325-676-793
Casual Magician - 031-062-023
Baloran Bounty - 293-587-943

[quote name='tenchim86']I went ahead and searched for more because of you. I found 2 more expansion codes.

Baloran Bounty - 293-587-943[/QUOTE]
Thanks much to all of you for posting these expansions. I'm going to give DS a go during lunch today.

Also thinking about getting Swords and Soldiers while it's on sale for .99. Anyone have any thoughts about this latest release from Chillingo?

[quote name='tenchim86']I went ahead and searched for more because of you. I found 2 more expansion codes.

Thanks guys, awesome.

^whoops, sorry about my double post

[quote name='Dimsdale']Thanks much to all of you for posting these expansions. I'm going to give DS a go during lunch today.

Also thinking about getting Swords and Soldiers while it's on sale for .99. Anyone have any thoughts about this latest release from Chillingo?[/QUOTE]

Just a warning, I jumped on the $0.99 deal and I have yet to actually play the game. I'm on iOS 4.3.3 on my iPhone 4 and the game crashes without fail every time I try starting it. I got so frustrated I just deleted it after 20 tries and wrote an email to itunes support asking for a refund. I tried installing it again just now and still nothing, just a nice black screen before it crashes back to springboard. I'd be interested to hear if others on an iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 are having the same problem or if it's working for them. It teaches me a lesson for spending money again on games that I'm not dying to play. For all I know with the recent rash of my wishlist games going free, this game might drop to free before I get it to actually run on my iphone. :headache:

How do you redeem these they arnt working for me?

[quote name='jjz203']Just a warning, I jumped on the $0.99 deal and I have yet to actually play the game. I'm on iOS 4.3.3 on my iPhone 4 and the game crashes without fail every time I try starting it. :headache:[/QUOTE]

I am also on iOS 4.3.3 and it has not crashed on me yet. Have you thought about rebooting your iphone and redownloading it again?

[quote name='jjz203']Just a warning, I jumped on the $0.99 deal and I have yet to actually play the game. I'm on iOS 4.3.3 on my iPhone 4 and the game crashes without fail every time I try starting it. I got so frustrated I just deleted it after 20 tries and wrote an email to itunes support asking for a refund. I tried installing it again just now and still nothing, just a nice black screen before it crashes back to springboard. I'd be interested to hear if others on an iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 are having the same problem or if it's working for them. It teaches me a lesson for spending money again on games that I'm not dying to play. For all I know with the recent rash of my wishlist games going free, this game might drop to free before I get it to actually run on my iphone. :headache:[/QUOTE]

I have a 3G with 4.2.1 and it was crashing when loading the gameplay screen (the profile selection and mission briefing worked fine). A reboot seemed to fix that. I do get occasional crashes now and then, but only < 10% of the time.

Ninjatown: Trees of Doom
997638.png

Ninjatown Trees of Doom has dropped to free today! This is honestly one of my favorite games on the platform. Paid 2 dollars for it over a year ago, and don't regret paying full price to this day. I highly recommend everyone hop on this one while its free if you haven't already. Great controls, good graphics, a couple different game modes, leaderboards, and frequent updates with new content, add up to make this game a must have!!!!

Not a deal, but it looks like all the cave shooters have jumped in price to the painful 11.99 price. Not sure why, since they were already expensive at 9 $ a pop.

Don't let that disuade you from checking out trees of doom. It's a great game, and no I don't work for venan entertainment or shawnimal lol

Not a game, the utility AirMusic has dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Access and stream your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch Music directly over WiFi to an XBox, a PS3 or any compatible DLNA device. No Wires or special hardware needed! It can even stream to a PC running Windows Media Player.
If you've heard all the hype about AirPlay and are missing out because your don't have an AppleTV, this app is for you!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']Now that the AppStore is back online, here are a few deals you might want to investigate:

Sky Force has dropped to FREE for the first time in over a year.[/QUOTE]

Sky Force comes up at $1.99 at 5:30 am, even though the blurb says Free, thanks to FB. Looks good, but free is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back