iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Ascension, for me, is a lot more fun live then asynch, and it plays great live. Unlike some other games, you get to watch other players turns play out as they play them. So you'll see then play a few cards, then buy a card, then play a few more cards, or whatever, all as it happens. It makes it feel genuinely live. And since the games play to the end in only 15 or 20 minutes, it's an awesome game to play live. I just wish they had an option, when creating new games, to set a turn time limit, and that the lobby showed other players' online status. As it stands you can start or join a random 2 player game and pretty sure it will play out live to the end, but 3 and 4 player games are a lot less likely to work out. Also I wish you could check the onilne status of your GC friends and send them a message, to see if they are up for a game.

[quote name='jacknicklson']google + app is out

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google/id447119634?mt=8[/QUOTE]

It doesn't show up when searching, but links work. Note, though, that it only works on the iPhone. Not the iPad (not at all!) nor even iPod touch. Weird. The app seems well designed, but is more limited then the Facebook app. For example you can't even change your profile picture. At least it's now possible to post photos.

Quick q: I have multiple iOS devices, and I did an in app purchase (full version of Kard Combat) on my main iPad. Will I be charged again from my wife's iPad if I want to run Kard Combat with the in app purchase?

[quote name='donniedroc']Quick q: I have multiple iOS devices, and I did an in app purchase (full version of Kard Combat) on my main iPad. Will I be charged again from my wife's iPad if I want to run Kard Combat with the in app purchase?[/QUOTE]

This is what's holding me back from making the purchase. I want to know this info as well.

[quote name='donniedroc']Quick q: I have multiple iOS devices, and I did an in app purchase (full version of Kard Combat) on my main iPad. Will I be charged again from my wife's iPad if I want to run Kard Combat with the in app purchase?[/QUOTE]

No, you will not be charged if you're using the same iTunes account. It will say "Purchase", but then will say that you already purchased it and it is free. Dumb, but that's how it works currently.

[quote name='punkmaggit']And yet Facebook can't even get an ipad app out the door...[/QUOTE]

While I agree that it sucks that Facebook doesn't have their own native iPad app, your criticism is poorly placed. The Facebook app at least is installable on an iPad. The Google+ app not only doesn't install on the iPad, it doesn't even install on an iPod touch!!!

Zombie Restaurant is the main FAAD game right now.
"Zombies have taken over the city!
The Mayor of the city is in trouble and he needs your help!
It is up to you! The only way to stop the Zombies from attacking people is to feed them delicious Zombie Food. After the Zombies are full they will go back to sleep in their graves."

Aeroflick is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Aeroflick will take you on a journey through time and space as the pilot of your very own paper airplane. This is no ordinary paper airplane, and you are no ordinary pilot. In this adventure you will venture through various obstacles and landscapes unlocking achievements and setting records. Only the very best of you will make it beyond the stratosphere and into the great unknown.
Godspeed, pilot. Glory is calling your name."

Elevator Drop
is the new Free App Calendar freebie.
"Experience tilt control like never before in this fast paced survival game. Drop down onto elevating platforms while avoiding the bubbling lava at ground level. Careful where you tread, some elevators are not so friendly!
Main features include high resolution Retina Display graphics, super smooth animation running at 60 FPS, Game Center integration, multitasking support, and music by Mathazzar Studios."

I just happened upon this free app while browsing another forum

Basically it lets you stream your entire music library (no DRM stuff) over the internet without the need to do it through a router. You can do it from a mac or pc and they have apps for both the ipad and iphone. I was literally streaming music from my mac to my ipad in just a couple of minutes.

[quote name='jacknicklson']AudioGalaxy plus the free AirMusic should alleviate any need for any further apps regarding audio streaming in both directions. Both are amazing[/QUOTE]

I downloaded AirMusic while it was free and tried it with my Xbox and it works... but I have no idea why I'd ever want to use it. The music UI on the Xbox is horrendous. Maybe it's better on the PS3? Anyway, in my case I have far more music on our Mac and that's plugged into our stereo, so it's pretty pointless for me. It was neat that it worked, though. AudioGalaxy might be useful, but I don't like leaving my computers awake 24/7, so that would make it less useful.

Nimble Strong: Bartender in Training is an iPhone game that teaches you a real-life skill (how to mix drinks) in a story-driven game format. In celebration of Nimble Strong: Bartender in Training's 1-year anniversary, we are putting the game on sale from $4.99 to $0.99 for a limited time. Since our launch last year the most common refrain has been "if only you had priced the game at 99 cents, you could've had a hit on your hands." Well then, let's call this our "second-guessing" sale. The app has never been this cheap before. Enjoy!

Review:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/08/review-nimble-strong/

Official Site:
http://www.nimblestrong.com

iTunes Page:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nimble-strong-bartender-in/id375879786?mt=8

Yeah you clearly made Nimble Strong. ;) But I loved it at $5. I've beaten the story mode two or three times and I still don't think I could ever mix a real set of drinks, but the info they provide about the drinks and philosophies behind them is lovingly crafted and presented (Even if I still can't remember most of it.). I recommend it just on how fun it is, whether or not you give a crap about bartending. I don't even like the boozes.

The Universal dual-stick online shooter Deadlock: Online is available for FREE for a limited time.
"Step into the world of DEADLOCK, the most Epic 3d online
dualstick shooter on the App Store!
DEADLOCK is Free to Play for a limited time with no ads! Join in on the action and play against thousands of other
players in online matches. Compete in daily and weekly
tournaments to win unlock points. Over 30 different
weapons, armor, and attachments - including different pistols, rifles, machine
guns, grenades, scopes,and flashbangs!
Practice your shooting skills before entering in online matches by playing Survival Mode and Bot Matches offline!"

ZombieSmash is currently the main FAAD game, but GhostBaby2: Circe's Curse is also being featured.
"Circe in her Dark Castle kidnaps Ghost Baby Peter. The game is about the journey of Peter to escape from the control of Circe. How could Peter defeat all pursuers Circe summons and destroy the evil prepotency of Dark Castle? Skeletons, Knight Dragon, Pumpkins...
How GhostBaby can fight with all the monsters, and bring the Dragon to be on his side?"

Wisp: Eira's Tale
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Eira, a wisp of the forest, is lost and you must help her find her way home.
The journey won’t be without danger though: in the forest lies the ancient and bleeding creature Fáfnir. His blood seeps from his wounds and out into the forest where it gains a life of its own; corrupting and defiling the surrounding woods and any life it comes in contact with. Eira has to avoid being consumed, while solving the mysteries ahead of her."

Word Chaos
is the Great App a Day freebie.
"Word Chaos is a brand new fun and addictive word scramble game that uses Official Alphabet Photography letters featuring landmarks from all over the world! It’s a new twist on a word game that uses the left and right side of the brain!
Study the scrambled Alphabet Photography letters and try to unscramble and rearrange the letters to form a word!"

Allied Star Police by 4th and Battery, the off-shoot studio of Pop Cap Games, has just been released for the CAG-worthy price of FREE.
"Join the fight and save the galaxy!
Allied Star Police (A.S.P.) was conceived and designed by the incredibly talented and energetic nine-year-old game designer, Owain Weinert. Owain came to PopCap by way of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Alaska and Washington and worked with a crack 4th & Battery team to create an actual game out of his fertile imagination. Owain pushed the team to their limits to make sure that A.S.P. delivered on his game dreams and we certainly hope that you enjoy it."

[quote name='Dimsdale']Allied Star Police by 4th and Battery, the off-shoot studio of Pop Cap Games, has just been released for the CAG-worthy price of FREE.
"Join the fight and save the galaxy!
Allied Star Police (A.S.P.) was conceived and designed by the incredibly talented and energetic nine-year-old game designer, Owain Weinert. Owain came to PopCap by way of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Alaska and Washington and worked with a crack 4th & Battery team to create an actual game out of his fertile imagination. Owain pushed the team to their limits to make sure that A.S.P. delivered on his game dreams and we certainly hope that you enjoy it."[/QUOTE]

I haven't really played any other similar games, but this one is worth checking out, especially cos of the story behind it.

A few more freebies available right now:

Tower Madness and Tower Madness HD
"Evil aliens are coming to turn your beloved sheep into intergalactic scarves! Protect the flock using only quick thinking and the arsenal of upgradeable weaponry at your disposal."

Nuts!
"From the makers of award-winning TowerMadness® comes Nuts!™ Help Jake, your nimble squirrel hero, collect coins, use awesome powerups, and climb to new heights on the majestic Infinitree!"

[quote name='jacknicklson']If it was introductory, they would make a big stink about it in the description[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait to see if it goes on sale.

[quote name='MoltenMan']I wanted Third Blade but it's coming up as $2.99. :\[/QUOTE]

That's strange. I guess the sale already ended. It was 99 cents when I checked a few hours ago.

Sunshine Cruise Lines is one of the new FAAD games.
"Welcome aboard your very own cruise ship! Build, customize and manage your one-of-a-kind dream cruise. Play with friends, earn rewards and have the most fun in the sun."

Trucks vs Tanks is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Your truck carries aid, guide them to a safe place as billion poor peoples are waiting for food!
Trucks VS Tanks features:
- Incredibly easy to learn! You just need to touch and drag the truck to their safe place, avoid those deadly tanks.
- Crazy addictive - It takes no time to get in, but impossible to stop!
- Features 2 types of trucks and 3 types of tanks to challenge your skill.
- Amazing classic art style with retina display support."

PandaDog GameParty is also FREE for a limited time.
"THIS, IS, PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Pandas, prepare your walnuts! Enjoy yourselves! Tonight, we party underground!
Jump above the clouds! Swim in the sea! Dig down to the bottom of the Earth!
Enjoy 16 pleading entertainment with PandaDogs, from the surface to the bottom.
It's PandaDog GameParty, a game that will simply blow your time and boredom away.
It's not complicated; rather simple! But simple doesn't mean it's not gonna be surprising!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back