iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blandstalker']Kard Combat is free.[/QUOTE]

This game was released for free as a limited demo with in-app purchase for full game, so the app was never meant as a paid app off the store. For $2.99 you unlock full tower campaign for "all" 4 mages. Then they released 4 more mages shortly after asking for another $2.99 to unlock those. Then finally they decided to do the "price flip flop" tactic on a free game to get on the price drop list. I have decided to delete Kard Combat and boycott this app... I guess it's just a personal thing for me, but those practices are not on my good list. Heh, I am a CAG after all. :p

I think what they COULD have done that would be great is give one new mage free to already paid users. And then charge $1.99 for the remaining 3. Offer new users 5.99 for all 8 mages.

[quote name='blandstalker']Kard Combat is free.
[/QUOTE]

Kard Combat was originally free with IAP to unlock the various decks. I'm not sure what the paid version was, but it's now back to how it used to be.

Along with Devil's Quest, Bok Choy Boy is one of the current FAAD games.
"Little Orphan Susan's dreams have been invaded by meanie Numbskullz in this fast paced addicting 3d strategy game for the iPad, iPad2, iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G.
You and Susan's dream guardians, the Bok Choy Boys, must defend her dreams and reunite her with her lost family before it's too late!
The popular vending machine toys, Bok Choy Boy, will fight their way from your bedroom floor to your iPad and iPhone and into your heart, in this beautifully rendered, epic battle between good and evil."

Eternity Warriors
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"After 20 years of peace in Northern Udar, a powerful new Demon threat has emerged under the command of the evil Demon King Kilic. The Demons have overrun and transformed the once vibrant land into a cesspool of danger and evil. Only the courageous Eternity Warriors can defeat this rising threat to the world of Humans and Elves!
3D fantasy world with fast-paced melee action gameplay: Experience an amazing variety of heavy and light attacks, devastating special moves and powerful combos to take out the hoards of demonic enemies
Spectacular sword-wielding combat alongside your real friends: The Eternity Warriors always fight the Demon threat together with fellow clan members found on Facebook and Game Center
Magical array of swords, axes, armors and power-ups: To be a truly great warrior you need truly great weapons. Build your inventory with some of the biggest and most insanely powerful weapons imaginable!"

Legends of Alehkam
is also FREE for a limited time.
"Very attractive and addictive role playing game.
Simple to play with beautiful interface.
Hours of fun for your boring moments!!!"

Peggle HD just came out for the iPad. It has an intro price of $2.99 and will go up to $5.
http://appshopper.com/games/peggle-hd
Peggle Nights in app purchase is half price but I don't know how much it is.

I have the iPhone version and just beat it so I think I'll just add this to my wish list for now and wait for a dollar sale to double dip.

[quote name='ocu']Just bought an iPad 2, any app recommendations?[/QUOTE]

There are a ton of recommendations on the OP but I would pick up Rage HD right now if it's still free. Also get AppShopper.

Edit: hope you got it, Rage HD is back to $1.99 this morning.

Wow, an avalanche of new and cool looking games just came out. I'm on my phone so I can't really copy/paste, but the appshopper's popular apps has them all anyway.

The standouts to me were:

Hector dropping to $1 due to ep 2 coming out,

Nick chase 2 launching at $2

Nom 5 free (with no IAP?!)

Lots of $1 launches though, maybe someone at a desktop can make the magic :D

Flick Golf Extreme! HD (iPad only) has also taken the .99 plunge.
"The most addictive golf game to blaze its way onto the App Store. Incredibly simple to play, just flick the ball and hit the hole. Our trademark spin control, combined with insanely fun gameplay brings you the world’s first truly extreme golf game. There are no rules, no clubs and no laws in Flick Golf Extreme! Play across skyscrapers, an oil rig, aircraft carrier and more in the most insane conditions you’ve ever seen! "

I snagged a small stack of Shazam Encore cards. If anyone is having trouble finding them at your local Starbucks, send me a PM and I'll send you a code. These cards DO say "Valid only on the iTunes U.S. Store" so United Statesians only I guess. First come, first served.
17 gone - 0 left

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I snagged a small stack of Shazam Encore cards. If anyone is having trouble finding them at your local Starbucks, send me a PM and I'll send you a code. First come, first served.[/QUOTE]

If we are having problems finding them, it's because you are snagging a bunch of them at a time :whistle2:D

[quote name='hollowfreak']Am I the only one getting nothing but a period in Relysis's replies?

Devil's Quest[/QUOTE]

He changes the quoted text to include a link, but it won't allow a post without unquoted content, so he adds a period.

[quote name='Felder71']If we are having problems finding them, it's because you are snagging a bunch of them at a time :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

I figured someone would say something along these lines, but really... I did it for you guys! And I left a crap-ton on the counter. It just seems really hit-or-miss if you're gonna find a Starbucks that even knows what the hell you're talking about, so I figured I'd help some of you guys out.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I figured someone would say something along these lines, but really... I did it for you guys! And I left a crap-ton on the counter. It just seems really hit-or-miss if you're gonna find a Starbucks that even knows what the hell you're talking about, so I figured I'd help some of you guys out.[/QUOTE]

Siding with o0achilles0o on this one -- can't find these in any of the Starbucks I frequent. Thanks, dude!

[quote name='KhrevalBruuk']Siding with o0achilles0o on this one -- can't find these in any of the Starbucks I frequent. Thanks, dude![/QUOTE]

+1. Maybe o0achilles0o can be the honorary Starbucks app of the week distributor on this thread. Sign me up! :razz:

[quote name='jjz203']+1. Maybe o0achilles0o can be the honorary Starbucks app of the week distributor on this thread. Sign me up! :razz:[/QUOTE]

If I'm gonna do that, I need to figure out a better system. Individual PMs could take up a HUGE amount of my time. I need some way to punch all the codes into a spreadsheet or something and have a web page query the list of codes... I'm no programmer though... no idea how I'd do that.

I'm updating my first post with the number I have left, if anyone's still interested. And if there's continued interest, I can grab another handful on my way home tonight.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']If I'm gonna do that, I need to figure out a better system. Individual PMs could take up a HUGE amount of my time. I need some way to punch all the codes into a spreadsheet or something and have a web page query the list of codes... I'm no programmer though... no idea how I'd do that.[/QUOTE]

Just go with those who already pm'ed you for the Shazam codes and then if you have leftovers, post if up for grabs! :D Slightly selfish, but hey, the early bird...

[quote name='guessed']He changes the quoted text to include a link, but it won't allow a post without unquoted content, so he adds a period.[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok. Odd. On my iPhone the links he adds don't show up as links, no blue text, but now that you mention it they are in there.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I snagged a small stack of Shazam Encore cards. If anyone is having trouble finding them at your local Starbucks, send me a PM and I'll send you a code. These cards DO say "Valid only on the iTunes U.S. Store" so United Statesians only I guess. First come, first served.
17 gone - 0 left[/QUOTE]

You must have updated that as I was trying to PM you. Missed out :(

The PM function is kinda broken on the mobile site. You can only click on a profile if the person has an avatar. o0achilles0o doesn't, so I couldn't.

Edit: oh wait, even if you click an avatar, it only brings up a condensed profile, still can't PM.

Minor Chaos rings sale to celebrate them adding Japanese dialogue (which more than doubled the file size for both games).

Speaking of Asian import games that only a handful of people would be interested in, have you guys seen dj max technika 2? That game is just begging for an iPad port. Saw it at the arcade yesterday, wow.

I just deleted Let's Golf 2 to make room for Modern Combat 2. Now, when I go back to re-download LG2, it's not in the app store anymore. Am I out of luck in getting it back?

[quote name='darrenaero']I just deleted Let's Golf 2 to make room for Modern Combat 2. Now, when I go back to re-download LG2, it's not in the app store anymore. Am I out of luck in getting it back?[/QUOTE]

If it's not in the app store anymore, the only way to put it back on your iDevice is to sync it with iTunes - assuming you have the game on your computer.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']If I'm gonna do that, I need to figure out a better system. Individual PMs could take up a HUGE amount of my time. I need some way to punch all the codes into a spreadsheet or something and have a web page query the list of codes... I'm no programmer though... no idea how I'd do that.

I'm updating my first post with the number I have left, if anyone's still interested. And if there's continued interest, I can grab another handful on my way home tonight.[/QUOTE]

Please. :) YGPM.

I just got struck out at ANOTHER starbucks.... :(

I don't see the Shazam cards, so I asked them, "I heard you guys are giving out app of the week cards that gives away Shazam iphone app. Do you got any of those cards?"
The first place simply says, "Oh you have to go online for that." And... that's about it...
The second place started going off about something that must be tied to my Starbucks member card or some shenanigans...

[quote name='darrenaero']I just deleted Let's Golf 2 to make room for Modern Combat 2. Now, when I go back to re-download LG2, it's not in the app store anymore. Am I out of luck in getting it back?[/QUOTE]

I thought you can redownload deleted apps from the Purchased Tab?

[quote name='Laughing Man']I thought you can redownload deleted apps from the Purchased Tab?[/QUOTE]

Not if it's no longer in the app store. A couple slipped through the cracks when they first turned on the service, but i believe it was incidental.

What's the consensus on modern combat anyway? Yay or nay?

[quote name='DtotheP']Minor Chaos rings sale to celebrate them adding Japanese dialogue (which more than doubled the file size for both games).

Speaking of Asian import games that only a handful of people would be interested in, have you guys seen dj max technika 2? That game is just begging for an iPad port. Saw it at the arcade yesterday, wow.[/QUOTE]

Yeah technika is awesome. I'd pay for that iPhone app, if they made one.

4 Elements HD is the main FAAD iPad game right now.
"The ancient kingdom is in trouble! The magic of the four elements that kept it running for centuries has been corrupted by evil powers and the altars no longer yield the energy of life. It is up to you to unlock the 4 ancient books of magic and collect 16 mysterious cards that will help you restore the kingdom to life. An adorable little fairy will be your aide in this perilous journey as you encounter elementals, dragons, knights, and various magic creatures. Using a mix of classic addictive game play ideas but taking them to a new level with innovative twists, explosive bonuses, spectacular visual effects, and fascinating storyline in amazing animation, this game by Playrix is a load of fun."

Don't Blink
is one of the iPhone-compatible FAAD freebies.
"The space race is ON!
The Thngs (pronounced “Things”) are on a mission to BOUNCE to the Moon.
They need YOUR help to Tap bouncy objects to build a tower high enough to bounce their Spaceship into space.
There's more!
* Play Arcade mode to see how far you can go!
* Play against friends and others online in Race mode!
* Build your own bouncy Spaceship!
Don’t Blink! You might miss it!"

Paper Munchers
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"That's right, the Paper Munchers are here and they're hungry! It's up to you to make sure they get fed! Use the explosive power of your touch to match deliciously cute monsters with the ferocious mouths of the Paper Munchers. That's right; Paper Munchers gives you an arsenal of bombs to launch those delicious monsters into the jaws of the malicious maws!
Explode your way through five worlds and 75 levels of munching mayhem! Paper Munchers is packed full of explosive physics, unique characters, and 5 Worlds with a whole feast of new content to come!"

[quote name='DtotheP']Minor Chaos rings sale to celebrate them adding Japanese dialogue (which more than doubled the file size for both games).[/QUOTE]

I wish they would have mentioned this before they did it. I have Chaos Rings but I don't have Omega and now I probably won't ever buy it because a file size just shy of a gig is way too much for me. If I knew it was going to be updated and increase in size so much I probably would have bought it before the update but now they'll never get that sale. Pretty disappointed that there's no way to opt out of including the Japanese dialog in the file size.

[quote name='DtotheP']
What's the consensus on modern combat anyway? Yay or nay?[/QUOTE]
I just bought it, for a dollar why not? It's Gameloft, probably a GB of space, but I'm sure I'll get my dollars worth out of it.

For all you RPG fans out there, here's a trio of sale titles from Crescent Moon (links stolen from TouchArcade):

Burn the Rope HD
(iPad only) is also on sale for .99 for the first time.
"Burn the Rope is a challenging game where you try to burn as much rope as you can in each level. There’s a catch! The fire only burns upwards, leaving you to rotate the puzzle to keep your flame alive!
As you progress through the levels, you’ll encounter bugs crawling along the rope. Different bugs have different reactions to the flame. For example, the ant changes the color of the flame so you can burn different colored ropes, and the spider shoots out a web bridge so you can access parts of the level that you could not before."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back