iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kingtopher']I wish they would have mentioned this before they did it. I have Chaos Rings but I don't have Omega and now I probably won't ever buy it because a file size just shy of a gig is way too much for me. If I knew it was going to be updated and increase in size so much I probably would have bought it before the update but now they'll never get that sale. Pretty disappointed that there's no way to opt out of including the Japanese dialog in the file size.[/QUOTE]

That is really annoying to me as well. Devs need to set more things as an Optional download. Example, Jim and frank adventures and ninjatown both have an option to download retina graphics, but by default they come without them for a smaller file size. I really feel more devs should do that because then more apps could be under 20mb and could side-step the whole "connect to wifi BS" because you can download that additional content over 3G.

Also, I made a trip to Starbucks as well so 10 of you can PM me for some shazam love.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Snagged another good-sized stack of Shazam Encore iTunes cards. PM me if you want a code.[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! Worked like a charm. Thanks!

I'm thinking about putting the free app codes either in the wiki in the first post or in a google spreadsheet so people can add to and subtract from the list. Thoughts or better suggestions? I'm getting flooded with PMs...

[quote name='FAAD']I'll work on it! I am not the rep...I am the actual man in charge! ;)[/QUOTE]

Awesome :). Can you share a little about your business model? I wonder how on earth you and the developers can make money giving out free games, especially with cag's circling like vultures.

Do you share ad revenue with your site/app or give developers a lump sum, or nothing at all (just free publicity and a bump in the app store) in exchange for the free game?

If you don't want to answer, that's ok, I won't feel bad :).

[quote name='TheRock88']Bejeweled 2 + Blitz has gone free. Tried downloading from the app store but its wanting to charge me so maybe they're having updating issues at the moment so I'd wait for a bit before downloading.

http://appshopper.com/games/bejeweled-2[/QUOTE]

Thank you man! Love Bejeweled!

All I they need is a iPad version.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I'm thinking about putting the free app codes either in the wiki in the first post or in a google spreadsheet so people can add to and subtract from the list. Thoughts or better suggestions? I'm getting flooded with PMs...[/QUOTE]

You could make a thread for it on the iOS forums page and especially if this is going to be a weekly thing? My wife goes to Starbucks I'll see if she can't get some codes too, I'm sure other people would help out and drop codes on it. I don't know just a suggestion, oh and thanks for the code today by the way.

Capcom did it again. Hope you didn't pick up Monster Hunter for $2, because it's now $1. it's Dead Rising all over again. Also, the original Street Fighter 4 is a buck. P1XL Party also dropped to free for you old-timers... like me :(

[quote name='DtotheP']Capcom did it again. Hope you didn't pick up Monster Hunter for $2, because it's now $1. it's Dead Rising all over again. Also, both Street Fighters are a buck. P1XL Party also dropped to free for you old-timers... like me :([/QUOTE]

I only see the original SFIV for $.99 - Volt still says $6.99 for me. Can anyone confirm there is/will be a price drop on Volt? I missed it at the launch sale, thinking I might pick it up this time around.

[quote name='FAAD']I'll work on it! I am not the rep...I am the actual man in charge! ;)[/QUOTE]

Do tell on how it works. Anything CAG's can do to help the process along? I'm sure others can chime in on games they would love to see for free. Great work on the free games these past couple of weeks/months. Quite impressed with many of the games.

Anyone know if there's a way to remove the 45second wait time on sending PMs? I'm trying to mass send out Shazam Encore codes and having to wait between sends is a huge bummer.

[quote name='suwillgetu']ZOOKEEPER DX Touch Edition dropped from $1.99 to $0.99 and will be until August 31st. I highly recommend it![/QUOTE]
Am I missing something on this? I played the online Flash version for a while last night. It was a pleasant enough match-3 but it didn't really seem to progress in terms of difficulty or bonuses or anything. I think I played through 7 or 8 levels before quitting. Does the Touch Edition bring anything additional to the table?

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Too bad I bought Aralon on a previous sale for $4.99. Any comments about Ravensword and Rimelands? I heard that Rimelands is turn based?[/QUOTE]

I quite enjoyed Rimelands. I beat it as a Warrior class and is now playing it through as a ranged class. Very well done game.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Too bad I bought Aralon on a previous sale for $4.99. Any comments about Ravensword and Rimelands? I heard that Rimelands is turn based?[/QUOTE]

Rimelands is a great game - well worth $.99. It's a unique turn-based game with interesting dice mechanics. Very easy to play, and does a good job scaling throughout the game. Probably one of my favorite iPhone games, although the story isn't the greatest. It's supposed to be part of a series/trilogy, but I have no clue if they're going to make the second, much less when, sadly.

OK, code distribution is down for a bit. Please don't send any more PMs to me for right now. I have a new plan for the codes and will post again when freakin' google docs comes back online.

OK, I'm gonna try something new with the Starbucks code distribution. I've worked up a Google spreadsheet and I'm going to set it to public so that anyone can add and remove codes and such. The first page has instructions and I'm implementing a "Be Nice" policy when using the spreadsheet. Don't share the link to it outside of CAG so that we don't wind up with slickdeals/whatever vultures.

I'll be monitoring the spreadsheet and will be adding more codes to it as I get them.

Please don't PM me anymore for a code, as all the ones I have left are on the spreadsheet.

Here's the link: Starbucks Pick of the Week Code Sharing

[quote name='Dimsdale']Am I missing something on this? I played the online Flash version for a while last night. It was a pleasant enough match-3 but it didn't really seem to progress in terms of difficulty or bonuses or anything. I think I played through 7 or 8 levels before quitting. Does the Touch Edition bring anything additional to the table?[/QUOTE]

I noticed it started to get more challenging as I progressed in each level and the time meter started to deplete faster. Overall it's not the most challenging puzzler, but I've still had fun with it. Also the developer has plans to update the game in the future with new modes, so maybe those will provide more of a challenge.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Glad to see you guys are using it. I'll try and get some more codes tonight. Should I post this in the main iOS area?[/QUOTE]

Grabbed one, thanks!

And sure, that'd probably be a bit cleaner for the thread.

[quote name='INCyr']I only see the original SFIV for $.99 - Volt still says $6.99 for me. Can anyone confirm there is/will be a price drop on Volt? I missed it at the launch sale, thinking I might pick it up this time around.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I guess it's only sf4 that's $1. I could have sworn I read that it was both last night. Edited my earlier post.

OK, changed my mind on the whole Starbucks Pick of the Week public spreadsheet thing. Things went way too fast and I think it's because of lurkers and riffraff. PM me with your email address and I'll add you to the permissions of the spreadsheet. I'm going to keep it this way until someone suggests something better.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']OK, changed my mind on the whole Starbucks Pick of the Week public spreadsheet thing. Things went way too fast and I think it's because of lurkers and riffraff. PM me with your email address and I'll add you to the permissions of the spreadsheet. I'm going to keep it this way until someone suggests something better.[/QUOTE]
What about what they do with Xbox Live Code Thread? It's a group on the site and you have to be a registered member and a member of the group to see the posts listed under there.

[quote name='JP']What about what they do with Xbox Live Code Thread? It's a group on the site and you have to be a registered member and a member of the group to see the posts listed under there.[/QUOTE]

Can you point me in the direction of that thread? I'd like to check it out, but can't seem to find it. Thanks!

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Too bad I bought Aralon on a previous sale for $4.99. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too. I thought it was worth $5, at $.99 it's a steal though. I picked up Rimelands due to word of mouth here.

Add me to the list of people who went to a Starbucks and they didn't have a code (or know what I was talking about). Eh....hopefully I can get one next week for Spy Mouse.

Question: In regards to IAPs like the Peggle Nights DLC apart of the new Peggle HD is there any way to make IAPs outside of the app. Like let's say I got Peggle HD because it is on sale because although it's not here yet I have an iPad 2 on the way, well is there any way to purchase the Peggle Nights DLC even though I can't launch the app?

[quote name='DaFees']Question: In regards to IAPs like the Peggle Nights DLC apart of the new Peggle HD is there any way to make IAPs outside of the app. Like let's say I got Peggle HD because it is on sale because although it's not here yet I have an iPad 2 on the way, well is there any way to purchase the Peggle Nights DLC even though I can't launch the app?[/QUOTE]

Nope, you're outta luck.

Quell is one of the new FAAD games.
"A charming zen puzzler that is sure to test your brain and capture your heart!
Quell has been critically-acclaimed for its 80+ levels of ingenious gameplay, gorgeous art style, and haunting soundtrack.
The objective is simple: slide a droplet around a layout of obstacles, traps and pathways, until you have collected all the pearls. Underneath this simple gameplay lies a world of intricacy!
Quell's appeal lies in its gentle, soothing mood, which makes it a great way to unwind."

The Impossible Test
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Do people make fun of you? Are they laughing with you, or at you? Do you think you can swipe, tilt, drag, shake and tap your way to victory? Get The Impossible Test and challenge your friends, family and co-workers to prove them wrong!
Play The Impossible Test and race to finish first! Complete many interactive levels that will challenge your mind! Compete with others to get the fastest time, and get an A on your report card!"

Mask of Ninja: Last Hero has also dropped to FREE for the first time.
"There were masked ninjas with special mission. When one is anointed as a ninja, one gets a unique mask and one must wear it on mission.
Ninjas believed the souls of past ninja is en-carved in the mask gave it a special power. Past legendary ninjas’ masks were kept in a sacred places.
One day, the Dark Force attacks the town in an attempt to gain these masks and soul.
The Dark Force took all these masks and the town and the people were burnt in the flame. The only survivor Jake, the beginner, takes the oath to take the revenge and take the stolen masks back…"

Spectre 3D is FREE for the first time.
"Spectre includes two single player and four multiplayer games, with the ability to play either competitive or cooperative modes via Bluetooth, Internet/WiFi, or 3G.
One of the most unique and popular aspects of Spectre is the various types of multiplayer games. Once you are connected, you can look for your friend’s names above their cybertanks - whether they are playing across the room or across the country!
Multiplayer game access is fast and easy, allowing you to quickly host or join online games. Dedicated multiplayer game servers are also available in Spectre’s online Lobby, where you can join the ongoing action against other players and battle-ready, artificially-intelligent Cyberbots!
Transporting you even deeper into the virtual cyberworld, Spectre also includes an option for 3D anaglyph stereographic support! (3D glasses sold separately)"

Also, I picked up a few Pick of the Week cards from one of the Starbucks near my house. PM me if you're interested in getting a code. I'm going to be running a lot of errands the rest of this weekend and I'll see if any other local 'bucks still have the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back