iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iowaholdem']Does it somehow not work on iPod touch? I've got 7 of 18 achievements and a high score of 1,818 but have never been prompted for an email input.[/QUOTE]

Didn't work for me neither. Tried both on my iPhone and iPad.

Just wanted to post to say that Dimsdale is a gentleman and a scholar. I've wanted the good version of Shazam for a very long time, and now I have it!

Just wanted to add my thanks to o0achilles0o for coming up with the spreadsheet and everyone that's posted codes! You guys rock!

This isn't a game, and it's basically just an interface to a web site, but it's a good interface to that website and it's fun to use. I recommend grabbing "Video Time Machine" while it's free (down from 99 cents): http://appshopper.com/entertainment/video-time-machine

Basically it lets you dial in a year and then see videos of movie trailers (heavy on the B-movie, or, I suppose, C-movie, side of things), entire movies in some cases, TV shows, news reports, commercials, music videos, etc, from that year. You can filter on one of those categories if you want as well. You can also tap a Random button to get something random. The videos are hosted on Youtube and play in the app.

[quote name='keithp']Just wanted to add my thanks to o0achilles0o for coming up with the spreadsheet and everyone that's posted codes! You guys rock![/QUOTE]

Yes, thanks a lot for all the work!

o0achilles0o emailed me a link to google doc spreadsheet, but it blank or empty. am i missing something? how do i get to the spreadheet with the codes?

[quote name='autobot']o0achilles0o emailed me a link to google doc spreadsheet, but it blank or empty. am i missing something? how do i get to the spreadheet with the codes?[/QUOTE]

Click the appropriate tab at the bottom of the workbook.

[quote name='crunchewy']This isn't a game, and it's basically just an interface to a web site, but it's a good interface to that website and it's fun to use. I recommend grabbing "Video Time Machine" while it's free (down from 99 cents): http://appshopper.com/entertainment/video-time-machine

Basically it lets you dial in a year and then see videos of movie trailers (heavy on the B-movie, or, I suppose, C-movie, side of things), entire movies in some cases, TV shows, news reports, commercials, music videos, etc, from that year. You can filter on one of those categories if you want as well. You can also tap a Random button to get something random. The videos are hosted on Youtube and play in the app.[/QUOTE]
Video Time Machine is really slick. I especially like the idiot-proof interface and everything streams very quickly. A great time waster and quasi-educational, too! Thanks for the heads-up, Crunc!

ALSO: Just added a few more SPY Mouse codes to the spreadsheet. There's a pretty healthy amount in there now. Looks like some CAGs have been hitting the 'bucks pretty good lately. Nice job, guys.

Looks like Rimelands is back to 5$, too bad, I was just going to recommend it. Aralon's still 1$ and is totally worth it. I initially thought the controls wouldn't be that great, but they seem to work quite well.

[quote name='Ervgotti85']Thanks to o0achilles0o and to everyone else who took the time and effort to get the codes spy mouse is awesome.[/QUOTE]

+1 to this! Thanks o0achilles0o and all!

[quote name='locashcrimering']The Secret of Chateau de Moreau is on sales for $.99

http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-secret-chateau-moreau/id456142869?mt=8

touchArcade posted a very favorable review of it:

http://toucharcade.com/2011/08/24/the-secret-of-chateau-de-moreau-review/[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's because I'm currently embroiled in Hector: Badge of Carnage (an excellent, hilarious detective adventure that unfortunately just went back up to its usual price of $3.99), you've convinced me. Downloading now. Thanks!

Foolish early adopter of Chateau de Moreau here. Seems neat so far but still kinda Encyclopedia Brown stuff. I sure hope dear old dead dad has a darn good reason for making me jump through all these absurd hoops to find his stupid vague messages. Puzzles aren't bad. Game does a good job of holding your hand through the general purpose nonsense (You won't be wandering the mansion hoping for direction for too long. You usually seem to have a clue as to where to go next or a clue shoved in your face pretty soon.)

Each chapter ends with Phoenix Wright style conversation battles to try to keep your tiny emo self from being carted away for murder, and so far they just involve you throwing out patently obvious stuff, i.e. rehashing almost verbatim the silly puzzles you just spent the entire day bandying about. Nobody here is really your enemy so we don't get the real combative joy of a Phoenix Wright staredown... yet at least.

In fact, at "yet at least" to the end of every sentence.

What's the consensus for Rogue Planet? I've never even heard of it so it must be one of their older games but I love TBS games.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']^done ^^and done. Enjoy, fellas.[/QUOTE]

Do you mind adding me as well. My email is kill3r7 @hotmail.com. Thanks

[quote name='jason506']What's the consensus for Rogue Planet? I've never even heard of it so it must be one of their older games but I love TBS games.[/QUOTE]

I'm a HUGE Advance Wars fan, and I totally regret this purchase. I remember playing it and thinking how slow it was.

Halfbrick's new game Jetpack Joyride is pretty great. Yes, it's an endless game, but it's addicting, has tons of unlockables, well done missions as in Tiny Wings, oddball vehicles to switch to and a slot machine (which you need to pick up coins for as you play), and it's universal too. For 99 cents I definitely recommend it. I stayed up too late last night playing it.

http://appshopper.com/games/jetpack-joyride

While that isn't a sale, this one is and it looks pretty good from the description and reviews, however I haven't tried it yet so don't quote me on it. RoboSockets: Link Me Up has gone free. It's universal:

http://appshopper.com/games/robosockets

[quote name='jason506']Gameloft has lowered down 8 games for Labor Day

Rainbow Six - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tom-clancys-rainbow-six-shadow/id413302408?mt=8
Shadow Guardian - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shadow-guardian/id400717781?mt=8
Gameloft Action Pack - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gameloft-action-pack/id371113408?mt=8
Prince of Persia - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prince-persia-warrior-within/id360182980?mt=8
Zombie Infection - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zombie-infection/id360178712?mt=8
Gameloft Sports Pack - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gameloft-sports-pack/id359161801?mt=8
James Cameron's Avatar - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/james-camerons-avatar/id343687281?mt=8
Rogue Planet - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rogue-planet/id337568038?mt=8

With the exception of the packs all the iPad versions are also on sale.[/QUOTE]

Good, held off on Rainbow Six until this price. When do these prices end? I'm not home for another 8 hours.

And I liked Rogue Planet, its similar in style to Advanced Wars, but I never played that (AW) to much, so I can't compare them much.

[quote name='Lukami']What is this Spy Mouse I keep hearing about?? And are there any codes left? Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

You need to PM o0achilles0o with your email address to get added to the Google Docs list of codes that people are so graciously collecting. There are a few Spy Mouse codes left when I checked just now, and Shazam Encore codes. Look a few posts above and you'll find o0achilles0o name to PM.

[quote name='mightymek']Awesome. I think I might pick up Rainbow Six![/QUOTE]

Any impressions on the Rainbow Six game would be greatly appreciated, 99 cents is a no brainer, but the space on my iPad is way more costly than that.

[quote name='crunchewy']Halfbrick's new game Jetpack Joyride is pretty great. Yes, it's an endless game, but it's addicting, has tons of unlockables, well done missions as in Tiny Wings, oddball vehicles to switch to and a slot machine (which you need to pick up coins for as you play), and it's universal too. For 99 cents I definitely recommend it. I stayed up too late last night playing it.
[/QUOTE]

I second this recommendation. Really a very polished game. Now if only I could beat your score!

[quote name='Thrakker']I second this recommendation. Really a very polished game. Now if only I could beat your score![/QUOTE]

Which brings up a bug. On GameCenter my best distance is listed as something like 3100 m, but in the game I have a bit over 3700 as my best. So far it has never gotten synced over. Perhaps it was just a hiccup, but it seems like it ought to check that they match and upload it again if needed.

Resident Evil 4: PLATINUM has dropped to 99 cents:

http://appshopper.com/games/resident-evil-4

Update: Nvm, apparently it's just me. I'm guessing iTunes and Paypal had some miscommunication and it's locking me out of my account now. I hate when this happens. This is the third time, and every time it does, I have to jump through hoops trying to get paypal and apple to play nice.

Has anyone else gotten the "unable to connect to the iTunes store" error? I've been getting it for the better part of the past 24 hours. It's incredibly annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back