iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='donniedroc']Surprised this didn't make the thread yet, but Bungie (yes, that Bungie) have released their first iPad app: Crimson: Steam Pirates
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crimson-steam-pirates/id438053238?mt=8
It is free, with an in-app purchase to the full game: $1.99.[/QUOTE]

I played this a bit at PAX this past weekend. It seems VERY awesome. Thanks for the reminder!

Now if only Apple would un-bork my iTunes account so I could download things to my iDevices again...

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I played this a bit at PAX this past weekend. It seems VERY awesome. Thanks for the reminder!

Now if only Apple would un-bork my iTunes account so I could download things to my iDevices again...[/QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me! I had to send an express lane request and it just got cleared up in the past hour. I wonder what happened.

[quote name='DtotheP']The same thing happened to me! I had to send an express lane request and it just got cleared up in the past hour. I wonder what happened.[/QUOTE]

I sent one in a couple hours ago... I hope they take care of it soon - really pissing me off. Did they respond to you, or did you just keep trying and all of a sudden the "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" message went away?

[quote name='jacknicklson']Dead Space for iPad is $1.99

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dead-space-for-ipad/id396019894?mt=8[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of EA games for the iPad on sale for $1.99, I am tempted to pick up NFS Shift 2 and Monopoly Here and Now because its the lowest they have been and they are on my wish list but the CAG in me tells me to wait for the inevitable $.99 sale. I think EA is trying to see what they can get away with on this sale, I'm going to wait.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I sent one in a couple hours ago... I hope they take care of it soon - really pissing me off. Did they respond to you, or did you just keep trying and all of a sudden the "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" message went away?[/QUOTE]

They responded and told me to un/re install windows 7 (though I'm specified that I'm Mac). Regardless, I replied with more info about my problem, told them I thought it was a billing issue with paypal, and a hour later it worked. I was frozen for about 24 hours. Coincidentally, I got a paypal receipt for an app purchase just before it started working again. For some reason, paypal and iTunes stop playing nice every now and then and iTunes freezes your account.

Big sales from Sega, EA, Capcom, Gameloft, and more for Labor Day weekend. Some things are free, most iPod apps are 99 cents and iPad apps are $1.99 for the sales.

I can confirm that EA's sales are now live, their email should be circulating now.

[quote name='preston181']Big sales from Sega, EA, Capcom, Gameloft, and more for Labor Day weekend. Some things are free, most iPod apps are 99 cents and iPad apps are $1.99 for the sales.

I can confirm that EA's sales are now live, their email should be circulating now.[/QUOTE]
Too bad none of the EA apps for the Touchpad are on sale...fuckers.

[quote name='Hostile']@o0achilles0o Thanks!

If I use a code the only thing I need to do is add my CAG username to the right side?[/QUOTE]

I think your supposed to do that just to call dibs on a code so no one else uses it while your trying to redeem your code. Then you go back and delete your used code and username. Right?

[quote name='Stimes']I think your supposed to do that just to call dibs on a code so no one else uses it while your trying to redeem your code. Then you go back and delete your used code and username. Right?[/QUOTE]

I believe that's correct. That's what I did.

Is there anyone here who could help me by gifting me a copy of Bastion from Steam, and in return I'll gift you $20 worth of any iOS apps you want.

I have iTunes credit that I have little use for. PM if you are interested.

Smurfs' Grabber is the new main FAAD game.
"Give the Smurfs a helping hand! Part whack-a-mole, part arcade-style claw game, Smurfs’ Grabber lets you collect, berries, flowers and more with just a tap of the screen. Combine items and complete 18 smurfy creations for your favorite Smurfs."

Dino Cap 2 HD
(Universal) is also being featured on FAAD right now.
"✓ super slick DINO COMBAT
✓ up tempo NON-STOP ACTION
✓ brand new CHARACTER UPGRADE SYSTEM
✓ totally revamped WEAPON UPGRADE SYSTEM
✓ ultra realistic ENVIRONMENTAL SOUND FX"

Gun Bros
is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"The Freakishly Rugged Advanced Genetics Galactic Enforcement Division (AKA F.R.A.G.G.E.D) specializes in the development and deployment of superhuman special agents. Headed since its formation by the brilliant soldier-turned-scientist Mother Gun, its current roster consists of only two active field operatives, code-named Percy and Francis Gun. Their lifelong mission: to protect the cosmos from the Tyrannical Oppressors of Life known as T.O.O.L.
Like a super-powered fungus gone haywire, the evil T.O.O.L organization has grown from the dankest levels of the criminal underworld to spread its own brand of malevolent funk to every corner of the galaxy. Most recently, they’ve set their sights on harvesting the rare element Xplodium in an effort to create even more powerful weapons to enslave the universe… But not if the GUN BROS have anything to do about it!"

Kretures is the offering from Free App Calendar.
"They're mean, green (and yellow, and purple) home-wrecking machines -- and they're headed your way! Calculating creeps want to knock your house down. You can mow 'em down, slow 'em down or teleport 'em away, but can you stop these fiendish Kretures from beating a path right back to your door?"

[quote name='preston181']Big sales from Sega, EA, Capcom, Gameloft, and more for Labor Day weekend. Some things are free, most iPod apps are 99 cents and iPad apps are $1.99 for the sales.

I can confirm that EA's sales are now live, their email should be circulating now.[/QUOTE]

I hope Street Fighter IV Volt goes on sale. Have been wanting to pick that game up for awhile.

Question about Big Fish's games: I'm really not a fan of hidden object games--which of their titles are more like traditional point-and-click adventures? So far I've determined that Drawn: The Painted Tower and Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison fit the bill. Any others like them at Big Fish?

If anyone else has any opinions on some really good point and click adventures for iPad, I'd love to hear about them, also. I downloaded the two mentioned in the previous post to try them out.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Is there anyone here who could help me by gifting me a copy of Bastion from Steam, and in return I'll gift you $20 worth of any iOS apps you want.

I have iTunes credit that I have little use for. PM if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I thought Sir Daniel was banned... or was it silenced? Either way, after all the bad $#!t you stirred up in this iOS thread, I'm surprised you're back here. I'd be weary of this "deal" if I were any member here. Wouldn't this post belong in the trade thread?

In other news, another of my wishlist games went free for the first time! iDaTank just came out in June and is free "for the first Autumn day" (???) Get it while it's free!!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/idatank/id438040415?mt=8

And for all those that use their cameras on their iPhone 4's a lot, Flare is an awesome video app that lets you shoot HDR video and it just dropped to free for the first time! I bought this when it was on sale for $0.99 before I learned my lesson about buying apps on my wishlist and love it! It seems like everything on my wishlist becomes free sooner or later. :razz:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/flare/id427488831?mt=8

I picked up Reckless Getaway - glad to see that drop - and am mulling over the idea of picking up more Big Fish hidden picture games....

[quote name='Stimes']Wow! All of the Big Fish games are on sale for $.99, what are the best ones?[/QUOTE]

My wife and I have been going a bit crazy in the Big Fish sale. We really liked the demo of drawn, so got that and a bunch of others. Still trying to pick what to get from gameloft. Any suggestions anyone?

Pac-Man CE for the iPhone is on sale for a dollar.
http://appshopper.com/games/pac-man-championship-edition

If there any time management fans out there I highly recommend Megaplex Madness (Big Fish), another one I bought is Azada HD it does have some hidden object puzzles but they are only about one out of every four puzzles, a fun game.

Also thanks for the heads up on Reckless Getaway, fun game too.

I like the Big Fish games Haunted Manor and Secret Mission, but I can't really say which of all their's is best. I have those and some other I haven't started yet. I haven't finished either of those two, but have enjoyed both on occasion and am working my way through them periodically. One of my kids really likes to play them with me too.

[quote name='armandxp']If anyone else has any opinions on some really good point and click adventures for iPad, I'd love to hear about them, also. I downloaded the two mentioned in the previous post to try them out.[/QUOTE]

There seem to be very few point-and-click adventures unique to iOS, let alone good ones. The only ones I can think of are Dream:scape (which is a 3D first-person title), Hector (the one iOS-exclusive series from TellTale) and Scarlett and the Spark of Life (which does not have an iPad version). The latter two are episodic if that matters to you.

There's also the 1112 series, which others have liked. I can't say the same, but you can try it out for yourself.

As far as ports, there's TellTale's catalog, the Lucasarts Monkey Island games, Beneath a Steel Sky, two Broken Sword titles, Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2, Inherit the Earth, Flight of the Amazon Queen, and The 7th Guest.

I hope there are others I have yet to come across!

For anyone that likes softsynths, Beepstreet just realized its amazing Sunrizer synth for the iPhone (called SunrizerXS). It's on sale for $2.99 and easily sounds like a $1,000 hardware synth.

http://appshopper.com/music/sunrizerxs-synth

Right now it supports only Core MIDI, which is only supported by upcoming peripherals (MIDI Mobilizer II and Irig MIDI), but if you just want to play, create and record using the iPhone touchscreen, you're all set right now.

Love these sales. Picked up zombie outbreak and Tom Clancy from the game off sale and gonna stock up on all the big fish gAmes since the last .99 sale of theirs.

I bought the "Counterfeit Machine" IAP in Jetpack Joyride. I guess I like the game. :) At least it's a one-time always in effect thing, not something that gets used up, and I've still only paid $2 for the game total, which I definitely think the game is worth, at the least. The C.M. doubles all coins collected from then on (but only after the game is over - it doesn't affect "get X coins" missions and such). Will make it a bit quicker to get all the goodies. The game is awesome on the iPad 2.

[quote name='rapsodist']
As far as ports, there's TellTale's catalog, the Lucasarts Monkey Island games, Beneath a Steel Sky, two Broken Sword titles, Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2, Inherit the Earth, Flight of the Amazon Queen, and The 7th Guest.

I hope there are others I have yet to come across![/QUOTE]
How did I not know about the second broken sword being ported? Still too pricey for me though. Never heard of Inherit the Earth, and never tried the Simon the Sorceror titles (not that I recall, anyway), but might pick them up in a sale. I never finished FotAQ on PC, it always crashed on disc 2, so I'll probably get that at sone point, sadly I didn't have an iOS device when it was first released and free (I didn't even have an iTunes account back then). Thanks for the info.

I bought 20 bucks worth of big fish games this morning. They are one of my favorite developers. I had all the other titles from their last sale. They don't do the .99 sale all that often. I think of all the big fish games I've played, Drawn is probably the best.

[quote name='rapsodist']There seem to be very few point-and-click adventures unique to iOS, let alone good ones. The only ones I can think of are Dream:scape (which is a 3D first-person title), Hector (the one iOS-exclusive series from TellTale) and Scarlett and the Spark of Life (which does not have an iPad version). The latter two are episodic if that matters to you.[/QUOTE]

Hector isn't iOS exclusive.

Also Jim and Frank adventures isn't quite an adventure game, it's more like Professor Layton, but it's a very good game, definite recommend.

[quote name='DtotheP']Hector isn't iOS exclusive.

Also Jim and Frank adventures isn't quite an adventure game, it's more like Professor Layton, but it's a very good game, definite recommend.[/QUOTE]

After your comment on Hector, I looked it up, and you're certainly right now. It was iOS-exclusive for nearly a year before getting Windows and Mac ports. I simply hadn't been aware of these ports. Thanks for the correction.

I'll check out Jim and Frank next time it goes on sale. I'm always on the lookout for games like Professor Layton!

[quote name='mikespit1']should i get dead space for my ipad 1 or iphone 4?[/QUOTE]

iPad, the space on the iPad makes it easier to move around.

EA is also dropping for Labor Day prices on some Surviving High School and Cause of Death DLC. I already own most of it and they're rather stingy with what they're giving out. They seem like they want to milk more money out of these franchises but the sales ARE nice for those looking to catch up.

I can't check the prices very well because I own most of this DLC but it looks like Cause of Death is willing to part with Volume 2 cheap, SHS has updated to give everyone The New Girl for free and is offering the first section of Season 3 on the cheap.

Played more Chateau Moreau and man is it weird. Every single ending you get contradicts almost all the others (Literally, characters motivations and actions WILL CHANGE COMPLETELY depending on the game over endings you get.) and a few feel kinda gratuitous. Fair warning, INSTADEATHS happen starting act 3, so you need to get saving before conversations. Also, leaving the mansion at each chapter is its own INSTADEATH which you want to do if you want to collect all the endings.

Lousy music hurts the game's atmosphere. The puzzles aren't bad but they are all abstract button pushing, combination finding Myst reject crud. They never expand too far beyond the basics but they also find a good point to sit to require thought but not necessarily get so cute as to enrage.

Conversation battles remain, again, patently obvious stuff.

The plot has kinda plodded along with red herrings and nonsense without really explaining anything going on behind the scenes, and any explanation you CAN get usually requires you to die, and thus it's probably just "for that ending only" anyway.

There's no logical sense to these divergent endings. They hurt the atmosphere, kill the stakes, ruin tension, etc etc.

That said, it's still a solid, enjoyable game, but after playing the endlessly charming, intelligent, and clever Hector Ep 2, having to get into this contrived, plodding, run here and talk to this dude then put the emblem in the thing and read the cryptic clue to get the passcode roller coaster is just a jarring transition.

Don't get me wrong, I do LIKE Chateau Moreau (Well, on average) but right now it's all riding on the ending. A middling-to-bad one is going to make me curse my wasted fiver and time.

Wooords is currently available for FREE. I picked this up when it was on "sale" for .99 and can recommend it as a definite download freebie if you like word games.
"Wooords is a freeform wooord game with unique fridge magnet gameplay that removes all distractions, it's just you and the letters. Touch, move and combine letters to discover as many words as possible. Create combos, earn points, increase your IQ. Each puzzle has one or more nine letter words that offers maximum points. Compete with your friends, compete with the world or just challenge yourself."

Nintaii is also available for FREE for the first time.
"Nintaii is an award winning, brain twisting puzzle game of rolling blocks and switches! The Japanese term “nintaii” means “patience, perseverance, or endurance.” Can you use your patience to make it through all 100 levels??"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back