iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
ChocoRun is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"ChocoRun establishes a new game category on iOS, the guided platformer. While Choco continues to run forward, it is your job to skillfully time your jumps and maneuvers through each level . No on-screen controller to mess your game, just tap anywhere on the screen to charge a jump and then release to perform it. Precision, speed and open eyes are a must!"

Grinder is currently available for FREE.
"Quite possibly the most challenging and most grinding game in the Appstore.
This game will put your Left and Right brain to the ultimate test.
Jump is easy, Fall is comfy. But doing both at the same time with two hands trying to maintain safe balance while being pressured by giant saw from both up and down is truly a grind and this game is all about Grinding itself.
You don’t have to replay a game for a long time to break your previous record, for the leader board ranking will likely only be separated by a very slim differential. Grind yourself and go for that tiny inch more to become the best grinder in the world! A second is short, but somebody lives a life time in a second. In this game, a second is the difference between a champion and a runner up.
Are you ready to grind?"

Brave Ghost and Brave Ghost HD have also dropped to FREE for the first time.
"Brave Ghost is an addictive, one finger gameplay based physics game (just like Angry Birds). Your goal is quite simple – save as many baby ghosts from danger as you can across 60 levels and bring them home."

In for Hot Spring Story and Mega Mall Story. I now have all of the Kairsoft Games. Too bad they all seem to have A LOT more depth than I originally thought. I'm still trekking through Grand Prix Story, haven't even touched Pocket Academy. I love these games so much.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Exitium: Saviors of Vardonia dropped to $0.99, from $3.99.

Feedback on this one?[/QUOTE]

제발 한글화좀해주세요

by ffssm

아니 다름게임들은 다한글화던데 이게임만 ㅡㅡ 해준다해준다해놓고 안하고
한글패치

by 83tangya

한글화안해주네요 다시는 이회사 게임 안산다 차라리 다른게임 사겟어
저기....

by 티페레트

제가 엑시티움을 다운받앗는데.. 영어로 나오네요.. 한글판좀 보내주세요. 뭔말인지 모르겟음

:D

This weeks Starbucks pick of the week is the digital adaptation of the classic Sesame Street "The Monster at the End of This Book".

http://appshopper.com/books/the-monster-at-the-end-of-this-book-for-ipad

The Monster at the End of This Book enhances the classic Sesame Street book with a completely immersive experience that draws children right into the story. Join lovable, furry old Grover as he tries his very hardest to tie down pages and build brick walls— all to keep readers away from the monster at the end of this book. The all-time favorite you loved as a child comes alive for today’s young readers with interactive play, plus touch-point animation. 

Might not be for everyone, but I read this as a kid and couldn't wait to get home and "read" it to my kids. It's a universal app so works great on the ipad as well.

I think I may be rambling here... but my original point being that I have put ten codes on the Starbucks spreadsheet and they are now up for grabs. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HDShadow']In for Hot Spring Story and Mega Mall Story. I now have all of the Kairsoft Games. Too bad they all seem to have A LOT more depth than I originally thought. I'm still trekking through Grand Prix Story, haven't even touched Pocket Academy. I love these games so much.[/QUOTE]

Other than Grand Prix, I just can't get into any of the ones other than Game Dev Story (the one I played first). Guess running a game studio and a racing team are just more interesting to me than a school, mall or spa.

[quote name='Stimes']I liked Game Dev Story but didn't care for Hot Springs Story. Mega Mall Story maybe cool though, thanks Rock[/QUOTE]

Same here...I think I will give Mega Mall Story a go...

[quote name='joebootoo']This weeks Starbucks pick of the week is the digital adaptation of the classic Sesame Street "The Monster at the End of This Book".

http://appshopper.com/books/the-monster-at-the-end-of-this-book-for-ipad

The Monster at the End of This Book enhances the classic Sesame Street book with a completely immersive experience that draws children right into the story. Join lovable, furry old Grover as he tries his very hardest to tie down pages and build brick walls— all to keep readers away from the monster at the end of this book. The all-time favorite you loved as a child comes alive for today’s young readers with interactive play, plus touch-point animation. 

Might not be for everyone, but I read this as a kid and couldn't wait to get home and "read" it to my kids. It's a universal app so works great on the ipad as well.

I think I may be rambling here... but my original point being that I have put ten codes on the Starbucks spreadsheet and they are now up for grabs. Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I picked this up for my niece, and she loses her mind over it.

[quote name='keithp']제발 한글화좀해주세요

by ffssm

아니 다름게임들은 다한글화던데 이게임만 ㅡㅡ 해준다해준다해놓고 안하고
한글패치

by 83tangya

한글화안해주네요 다시는 이회사 게임 안산다 차라리 다른게임 사겟어
저기....

by 티페레트

제가 엑시티움을 다운받앗는데.. 영어로 나오네요.. 한글판좀 보내주세요. 뭔말인지 모르겟음

:D[/QUOTE]

Translation courtesy of Google Translate.:

Please, please jomhae Localization

by ffssm

Different games are not worn Posts Tues heard yigeimman not doing it fulfills helps makes ㅡ ㅡ
Hangul patch

by 83tangya

Localization Spill's another game again rather sageteo ansanda yihoesa game
There ....

by tipereteu

Ooh, I was eksitiumeul been downloaded. Here she is in English. Please send me hangeulpanjom. Moreugeteum mwonmalinji

;)

[quote name='Jek Porkins']I picked this up for my niece, and she loses her mind over it.[/QUOTE]

Damn! Cant believe I missed these! Oh well, thanks for grabbing them and offering them out. I love CAG!

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Wow... I never go into Starbucks... I will definitely have to this week. My little boy LOVES that book, and so do I... Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

Would you or someone else please educate me about the Starbucks hookup?

Hey everyone! I've just updated the Starbucks spreadsheet with a boatload of Monster at the End of this Book codes. If you don't already have the link to the spreadsheet, feel free to send an email to starbuckscodesharing AT gmail DOT com with the word "starbucks" or "spreadsheet" somewhere in the subject or body of the email and you'll get an automatic reply with a link to the spreadsheet. Enjoy everyone!

Dunno if this was mentioned, but Hard Lines is currently free. It's like a cross between Snake and the Tron Light Cycle game

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Hey everyone! I've just updated the Starbucks spreadsheet with a boatload of Monster at the End of this Book codes. If you don't already have the link to the spreadsheet, feel free to send an email to starbuckscodesharing AT gmail DOT com with the word "starbucks" or "spreadsheet" somewhere in the subject or body of the email and you'll get an automatic reply with a link to the spreadsheet. Enjoy everyone![/QUOTE]

Thanks much, just got a spy mouse code, been wanting this for awhile.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Hey everyone! I've just updated the Starbucks spreadsheet with a boatload of Monster at the End of this Book codes. If you don't already have the link to the spreadsheet, feel free to send an email to starbuckscodesharing AT gmail DOT com with the word "starbucks" or "spreadsheet" somewhere in the subject or body of the email and you'll get an automatic reply with a link to the spreadsheet. Enjoy everyone![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Just added 4 Momento codes

Ok, the auto-reply feature of Gmail labs is freakin sweet. This system is working great! I hope everyone enjoys the Starbucks codes. The Sesame Street book is REALLY well done.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']Ok, the auto-reply feature of Gmail labs is freakin sweet. This system is working great! I hope everyone enjoys the Starbucks codes. The Sesame Street book is REALLY well done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for doing the spreadsheet! I used a code for the Sesame Street book.

Wow! Thanks very much for the Starbucks Monster At The End Of This Book code, been searching everywhere for the app card - my daughter loves the book, we're going to check out the app right now.

Don't know if this is the right thread for this but the iRig adapter is clearanced out @ Target for $19.xx (50% off). This works with the app Amplitude (free and paid versions) and allows a guitar to connect thru an iDevice to simulate various amplifier sounds and effects. Seems pretty cool, don't know how real musicians feel about it but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

[quote name='snakeneck']Don't know if this is the right thread for this but the iRig adapter is clearanced out @ Target for $19.xx (50% off). This works with the app Amplitude (free and paid versions) and allows a guitar to connect thru an iDevice to simulate various amplifier sounds and effects. Seems pretty cool, don't know how real musicians feel about it but I'm having a lot of fun with it.[/QUOTE]

cool, saw that the other day. sounds like fun. doesn't work with garageband on ipad, does it?

Very cool! Thanks so much for this!

[quote name='brettsp']My 4 year old is terrified of that grover book lol. Maybe someday we'll get to the monster....[/QUOTE]

Haha, I loved that book when I was young. I'd scream, "Mama, don't do it, don't do it!" and I knew fear for the first time. It is good to teach children to be terrified at a young age. It helps prepare them for the true terrors to come.

Terrors that can freeze a man's blood and stop his heart. Terrors like... paying $60 for Duke Nukem Forever, like being the guy in line who gets to the door of the store you waited 24 hours outside of only to have them say, "We just sold out," of that console you were waiting for. Or being trapped at work or, Heaven help you, asleep at midnight when a giant corporation decides to unload its failing tablet at fire sale prices, waking up to find every Touchpad within a thousand miles gone and imprints of Touchpads in layered piles of dust.

Children must be taught to live in a state of perpetual fear. That book is probably the best indoctrination. Good for you. ;)

“I’m all about empowerment. I empower my Cheerios to live in a state of constant fear by creating an environment of irrational, random terror.” -Sue Sylvester

Grabbed a code for Monster. My kid is going to love it. I went to two Starbucks today looking for codes but came up empty. Thanks so much for adding me to the spreadsheet.

[quote name='HDShadow']In for Hot Spring Story and Mega Mall Story. I now have all of the Kairsoft Games. Too bad they all seem to have A LOT more depth than I originally thought. I'm still trekking through Grand Prix Story, haven't even touched Pocket Academy. I love these games so much.[/QUOTE]
agreed

Max Damage is the new FAAD main game.
"Life is fun for a kid with a cannon and Max has a whole host of projectiles designed for destruction. Join Max for a typical day in his life as you make your way through 50 brand new action packed and puzzling physics powered levels.
Using Max’s cannon fire various projectiles at a wide range of targets, from fridges to microwaves and BBQ’s to lovely artwork trying to rack up the most damage possible."

Aeronauts: Quake in the Sky
is also being featured on FAAD.
"Let your machinegun scream and guided missiles chase to blast away waves of incoming enemy fighters. Will it be you or your friend that takes the top position in this classic style flight shooter specialized for the touch screen interface."

Got one thanks o0achilles0o

Does anyone have a contact emaill address for gameloft? I bought sacred odyssey, but the game will not unlock. There is no contact info on gameloft.com.

Thanks

[quote name='Ervgotti85']Got one thanks o0achilles0o[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many codes there were last night? As of 7am EST this morning there's nothing left. I know google docs is easier than pm'ing people one by one, but I also have this feeling that some users are hoarding codes from the google doc and perhaps giving it to others that might not be part of the board. I haven't been able to snag a momento code since weeks ago or the monsters book code. It's starting to feel like an Amazon lightning deal where I have to be a minute in or else they'll all be gone! And it sucks more that most of the Starbucks around midtown manhattan NYC don't have any of these so even if I wanted to help myself, I can't. :( Maybe we could change the system up and instead of having people delete the code right after using it, just leave it up and put in their username so we could verify if the codes are being used by actual users of this thread/board or just being hoarded by a dishonest user and that person just deletes all the codes so users from this thread can't get any?

-edit-

As a matter of fact, I'm looking at the doc right now and there are 3 "Anonymous" users looking at it at the same time. Anonymous User 5074, 2897, and 2007. Who are they? I know the doc is set up to viewed by anyone, but I feel that is setting it up for eventual hoarders and "fatwalleters" to start creeping in.

[quote name='jjz203']Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many codes there were last night? As of 7am EST this morning there's nothing left. I know google docs is easier than pm'ing people one by one, but I also have this feeling that some users are hoarding codes from the google doc and perhaps giving it to others that might not be part of the board. I haven't been able to snag a momento code since weeks ago or the monsters book code. It's starting to feel like an Amazon lightning deal where I have to be a minute in or else they'll all be gone! And it sucks more that most of the Starbucks around midtown manhattan NYC don't have any of these so even if I wanted to help myself, I can't. :( Maybe we could change the system up and instead of having people delete the code right after using it, just leave it up and put in their username so we could verify if the codes are being used by actual users of this thread/board or just being hoarded by a dishonest user and that person just deletes all the codes so users from this thread can't get any?

-edit-

As a matter of fact, I'm looking at the doc right now and there are 3 "Anonymous" users looking at it at the same time. Anonymous User 5074, 2897, and 2007. Who are they? I know the doc is set up to viewed by anyone, but I feel that is setting it up for eventual hoarders and "fatwalleters" to start creeping in.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of not deleting codes. I added 55 codes yesterday and they're all gone. I'm going to go through the revisions on the sheet and see what happened, but you're right - something needs to change.

[quote name='o0achilles0o']I like the idea of not deleting codes. I added 55 codes yesterday and they're all gone. I'm going to go through the revisions on the sheet and see what happened, but you're right - something needs to change.[/QUOTE]

I put my name next to one last night with the intent of using it this morning. There were quite a few left when I did that, and they are all gone this morning.

[quote name='erock']I put my name next to one last night with the intent of using it this morning. There were quite a few left when I did that, and they are all gone this morning.[/QUOTE]

I think one of the problems is that people are trying to be helpful and deleting codes they see left for a while with a name next to them. I just implemented a "do not delete your code or your name" policy which should fix that problem. As for your code, I'll go back to a previous version and PM you the one you had your name next to.

As far as the rest of the codes go - nothing looks "fishy" - it looks like people were only taking 1 code for themselves and then deleting them. I guess we have to remember that I initially authenticated over 200 people to access the spreadsheet before opening it up to anonymous login with the link. 50 codes won't last very long with that many people.

[quote name='handsomepete']cool, saw that the other day. sounds like fun. doesn't work with garageband on ipad, does it?[/QUOTE]

I actually have an iRig along with GarageBand for the iPad. If I remember correctly, the iRig DOES work with GarageBand. I think GarageBand actually has its own set of effects and amps, but it does detect the guitar with the iRig attached. Keep in mind that it's been a while since I used it last though.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Haha, I loved that book when I was young. I'd scream, "Mama, don't do it, don't do it!" and I knew fear for the first time. It is good to teach children to be terrified at a young age. It helps prepare them for the true terrors to come.

Terrors that can freeze a man's blood and stop his heart. Terrors like... paying $60 for Duke Nukem Forever, like being the guy in line who gets to the door of the store you waited 24 hours outside of only to have them say, "We just sold out," of that console you were waiting for. Or being trapped at work or, Heaven help you, asleep at midnight when a giant corporation decides to unload its failing tablet at fire sale prices, waking up to find every Touchpad within a thousand miles gone and imprints of Touchpads in layered piles of dust.

Children must be taught to live in a state of perpetual fear. That book is probably the best indoctrination. Good for you. ;)

“I’m all about empowerment. I empower my Cheerios to live in a state of constant fear by creating an environment of irrational, random terror.” -Sue Sylvester[/QUOTE]

Well said. :)

Am I missing something on the Starbucks spreadsheet? All the pages are coming up empty for me except for the Spy Mouse which is showing six used codes. from what I read in the instructions I was expecting to at least see a list of used codes and who used them. Am I doing something wrong?

[quote name='hammysagar']Am I missing something on the Starbucks spreadsheet? All the pages are coming up empty for me except for the Spy Mouse which is showing six used codes. from what I read in the instructions I was expecting to at least see a list of used codes and who used them. Am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

I am seeing the same thing. Either we are both doing it wrong or someone deleted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back