iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking I'm going to give in on Scribblenauts ... heard a lot of good things and five bucks is already a steal to be honest. Definitely waiting on Shadowgun though.

I have good hopes for Scribblenauts on the iOS, seeing as new levels or patches or words can be added through updates (which was never possible for the DS platform) it could be good.
And i think the free creation title screen alone may be worth the $5 admission (finally, Mecha Chthulu Vs. Zombie Zeus on the go)

The only problem I've noticed so far with iOS Scribblenauts is that keyboard entry is sluggish. I'm playing on an iPad so I can type pretty fast, but if I don't go slow then it misses keys. Still infinitely better than DS stylus typing.

Scribblenauts was always disappointing on the DS but I really should have expected it. My imagination is a far, far superior sandbox to Scribblenauts.

By the way,
Note: iTunes 10.5 no longer requires or includes QuickTime.
FINALLY.

Seems like every (rare) time Apple makes a good change I always say FINALLY.

So... what i'd like is Scribblenauts + Voice Input for what I want to be created...

[quote name='blk00civicsi']Anyone need a code for Spy Mouse? I don't feel like subscribing to the spreadsheet and they expire 10/15. I have 6 codes. PM me if you want one.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Is anyone else getting a bit tired of the "retro pixel" game fad going on right now? As much as I like to play Tiny Tower,etc.;they do become somewhat hard on the eyes after awhile. Especially when everyone wants the latest greatest iPad2/iPhone4s with the speedier graphics. At what point does the retro graphics become sheer laziness by iOS programmers?

theres always a kind of retro loving niche market. With the number of games that try for amazing graphics to the point of subpar gameplay i find retro graphics games to be few and far between.
They're not wasting a bunch of development time and resources to wrap shit gameplay in shiny paper.
Personally i think Tiny Tower would just be creepy without pixel graphics

Thanks for adding all the codes. I'm tempted to grab the book code, but I honestly don't have any children to read it to. Still, it's awesome that you keep this spreadsheet up!

[quote name='Computersnacks']Thanks for adding all the codes. I'm tempted to grab the book code, but I honestly don't have any children to read it to. Still, it's awesome that you keep this spreadsheet up![/QUOTE]

There is no age limit for enjoying any book. For example, reading Dr. Seuss as an adult gives a whole different angle to the stories.

If you're going to read and enjoy it, I say feel free :)

[quote name='DtotheP']There is no age limit for enjoying any book. For example, reading Dr. Seuss as an adult gives a whole different angle to the stories.

If you're going to read and enjoy it, I say feel free :)[/QUOTE]

Not to mention kids of friends or family members you don't think of today might enjoy it next month, occupy them during dinner or something :)

[quote name='Daviddenton3']theres always a kind of retro loving niche market. With the number of games that try for amazing graphics to the point of subpar gameplay i find retro graphics games to be few and far between.
They're not wasting a bunch of development time and resources to wrap shit gameplay in shiny paper.
Personally i think Tiny Tower would just be creepy without pixel graphics[/QUOTE]

I grabbed Robot Wants Kitty plus paid the $1 form the extra levels. Really an awesome retro looking and sounding game and it is a blast to play. I'd love more games like this (quality games). I found and reported some teleporter related bugs but still a very awesome game.

I dont get it, theres some free magazines when I browse the section in the store. But then in the description it has a subscription fee??

My question is that when I downloaded the free NY Times in Newsstand, will I be charged to my credit card for it?? So confused o_O

Q Pang for the iPhone is now free :)
Highly-rated game at 4.5 stars at 329 Ratings, so you guys might enjoy it :)

14 Fun and Exciting Weapons (Vacuum, Delicious Cakes, Fans, and More!);
17 colorful and amusing Aliens to destroy;
30 unique levels divided into 6 planets;
3 Different Modes to keep you engaged for hours.

[quote name='Lukami']I dont get it, theres some free magazines when I browse the section in the store. But then in the description it has a subscription fee??

My question is that when I downloaded the free NY Times in Newsstand, will I be charged to my credit card for it?? So confused o_O[/QUOTE]

No free app is free which shows issues and essentially allows in-ap purchase of each issue

The vaguely Peggle-like Gem King is currently available for FREE. It's a pretty good time waster that's definitely worth a download while it's gratis.
"Your loyal and surprisingly resilient Minions will do anything to bring you regal riches. Kick them accurately into the mines to start their work and bring home the sparkly gem stones!
Collect enough gems to earn your crown and become the Gem King of the world!"

[quote name='Dimsdale']The vaguely Peggle-like Gem King is currently available for FREE. It's a pretty good time waster that's definitely worth a download while it's gratis.
"Your loyal and surprisingly resilient Minions will do anything to bring you regal riches. Kick them accurately into the mines to start their work and bring home the sparkly gem stones!
Collect enough gems to earn your crown and become the Gem King of the world!"[/QUOTE]

Whoa, some really angry reviews about the devs changing the name of the game, so they can introduce it as a new app. Probably will charge for future content, and that would be double dipping of the worst kind...

[quote name='dragonjud']Whoa, some really angry reviews about the devs changing the name of the game, so they can introduce it as a new app. Probably will charge for future content, and that would be double dipping of the worst kind...[/QUOTE]

Darn, I like Hothead too =/ Bummer to see them do this. If they wanted to make a free version, they should've did what Drop7 did and figure out a way so that if you bought the original game you can play the full game without ads and such on the free version.

So, Espgaluda II has been reduced to 7.99 as part of the release of the iPad version. In addition, there are now two additional versions that split the functionality of the original in to Arcade version and Smartphone version, at 3.99 each. The iPad version, Espgaluda II HD, is 10.99, with Arcade version and Smartphone version at 6.99 each.

Since I missed the big Cave sale before (Grrrr. Still bitter.) I think this will probably be the best price anyone will get this at. I was probably just gonna pick up the full package, but anyone have any thoughts about Arcade vs Smartphone version?

This totally made my day. Rockstar is porting Grand Theft Auto III to iPhone 4S and iPad2. Plus Android. Link

I will be updating the original post with iOS 5 related info soon too. If you haven't grabbed the update yet, sync your device with a computer to get it. After that your device is independent. You don't need to sync to a PC anymore unless you want to.

Also, if you have any popular magazine subscriptions (in my case Wired) you can download that mag for free on Apple's Newstand, enter your subscriber number, and read all the digital copies free.

[quote name='dragonjud']Whoa, some really angry reviews about the devs changing the name of the game, so they can introduce it as a new app. Probably will charge for future content, and that would be double dipping of the worst kind...[/QUOTE]
I don't know what the future holds for Gem King, but as it is I can recommend it for free. I've played through the first nine levels and it's an enjoyable little diversion. It won't change your life, but it's certainly worthy of a download if you like Peggle.

Also, speaking of puzzle games, Reiner Knizia's Lines of Gold has just been released for .99.
"Lines of Gold is an addictive and fun solo puzzle game designed specifically for iOS touch screens by world renowned game designer Reiner Knizia!!
Part steam driven slot machine, part intricate puzzle, part strategy tile placement board game, part relaxing sudoko style brain teaser, part exploration adventure, 100% fun!"

I tried the Espgaluda II HD Lite version and have to say that I'm not terribly impressed. It seems like a pretty lazy HD port, and that's pretty sad given the price they are asking for it. I think it looks only marginally better than the iPhone version scaled up (still looks blurry), the buttons are still a bit too big and a bit too far apart and the instructions in-game show an image of an iPhone, not an iPad. Pretty disappointing. I guess this will be the first Cave release I don't buy, or at least not until there's a fire sale, if that ever happens.

The App Store is very slow right now. I was lucky to get Words With Friends. But anyway, Words With Friends AD-Free version is .99 for a limited time only from it's $1.99 price.

[quote name='ryanflucas']This totally made my day. Rockstar is porting Grand Theft Auto III to iPhone 4S and iPad2. Plus Android. Link

I will be updating the original post with iOS 5 related info soon too. If you haven't grabbed the update yet, sync your device with a computer to get it. After that your device is independent. You don't need to sync to a PC anymore unless you want to.

Also, if you have any popular magazine subscriptions (in my case Wired) you can download that mag for free on Apple's Newstand, enter your subscriber number, and read all the digital copies free.[/QUOTE]

Sweeeeeet. Gonna get this for the iPad 2 :)

[quote name='Dimsdale']I don't know what the future holds for Gem King, but as it is I can recommend it for free. I've played through the first nine levels and it's an enjoyable little diversion. It won't change your life, but it's certainly worthy of a download if you like Peggle.
[/QUOTE]

i just saw this today i could care less if they re-released it what has me peeved is that Kickin Momma both versions are gone so does this mean they will not support it anymore? i was expecting new levels and i bought the SD version as i have an older 2G iPod Touch which means i can't play this new version as it does not support that :hot:

Hey guys I have a quick question I think you can do this but I would just like to confirm.

I have a preorder in for the IPHONE 4S (I'm on a wait list) but I should be getting the phone hopefully sometime next week or the following week. This is going to be my first IPHONE. I'm excited.

I see all these great apps on sale for a limited time and I don't want to miss out on some of these games. Can I purchase these using Itunes and then sync them to my phone after I get it?

I'm pretty sure you can but I wanted to double check before I start spending money. thanks.

[quote name='flybrione']Hey guys I have a quick question I think you can do this but I would just like to confirm.

I have a preorder in for the IPHONE 4S (I'm on a wait list) but I should be getting the phone hopefully sometime next week or the following week. This is going to be my first IPHONE. I'm excited.

I see all these great apps on sale for a limited time and I don't want to miss out on some of these games. Can I purchase these using Itunes and then sync them to my phone after I get it?

I'm pretty sure you can but I wanted to double check before I start spending money. thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can. Just purchase using itunes and sync with iphone when you get the phone.

[quote name='Sir Qweirdy']Yes you can. Just purchase using itunes and sync with iphone when you get the phone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. Going to go shopping tonight :D

Now that we have iOS5 and I need to do some app management, can I delete Infinity Blade on my phone so that I can update Real Racing 2 (have very little space left),then redownload Infinity Blade and not lose my progress/save? Or am I completely not understanding the cloud benefits?

[quote name='darrenaero']Now that we have iOS5 and I need to do some app management, can I delete Infinity Blade on my phone so that I can update Real Racing 2 (have very little space left),then redownload Infinity Blade and not lose my progress/save? Or am I completely not understanding the cloud benefits?[/QUOTE]

i believe the developer has to update their app to support saving it's game info into iCloud, so don't delete your game yet until that's confirmed.

Hi CAGs,

If you have an iPhone, this deal is up you alley!

Player Escape is giving away a $50 Amazon gift certificate for those that download the game Office Peons!

The game itself is FREE and for a chance to win, you have to go in the game and join the "Occupy Wall Street" Fund! After the first 100 people join, a random drawing will determine the winner!

Here is a link to their site (and the official rules):
http://playerescape.com/news.aspx

Here is a link to the Office Peons App:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/office-peons/id459019405?ls=1&mt=8

[quote name='handsomepete']Seeing that there's iap in HWF makes me a little weary. Should it?[/QUOTE]

Not really. If anything the coins are use to help you purchase help lines. Like a extra letter or give you a extra turn, etc.

Hanging with friends has IAP. Its for tokens. It's not a necessity at all. They implemented a store to buy people and balloons. It's dumb if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back