iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bodine1231']Just picked up an Iphone 4s yesterday (switched from Android) and looking to buy a few games before I head out on vacation. I read the list on the 1st page but its damn huge,can you guys recommend like two or three more MUST HAVES?

Here's what I have so far

Zombieville 2
Infinity Blade
Doodle Jump
Angry Birds
Water?
Plants Vs Zombies
Scribblenauts
Tiny Wings
Shantae[/QUOTE]
Jetpack Joyride
Peggle
Fruit Ninja
Cover Orange
Minigore
Super Stickman Golf

[quote name='bodine1231']Just picked up an Iphone 4s yesterday (switched from Android) and looking to buy a few games before I head out on vacation. I read the list on the 1st page but its damn huge,can you guys recommend like two or three more MUST HAVES?

Zombieville 2
Infinity Blade
Doodle Jump
Angry Birds
Water?
Plants Vs Zombies
Scribblenauts
Tiny Wings
Shantae[/QUOTE]

Game Dev Story
Mega Mall Story
Groove Coaster
Peggle
Anomaly Warzone Earth

Zombieville 2
Infinity Blade
Doodle Jump
Angry Birds
Water?
Plants Vs Zombies
Scribblenauts
Tiny Wings
Shantae[/QUOTE]

Some games I reccomend that others havent talked about yet are Early Bird, free, and my favorite iphone app by far. And Sigma, which is to me the funnest and freshest match 3 out there, I typically hate most but this one is fun.

Zombieville 2
Infinity Blade
Doodle Jump
Angry Birds
Water?
Plants Vs Zombies
Scribblenauts
Tiny Wings
Shantae[/QUOTE]
Fragger
Helsing's Fire (If you can only get one, get THIS)
Cause of Death (Free with ads)
Surviving High School (Free with ads)
Gamebook Adventures games
Reiner Knizia's Samurai
King of Dragon Pass

Additional very good games people haven't mentioned:

Cut the Rope
Cut the Rope Experiments
Words with Friends
Hanging with Friends
League of Evil
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer (if you like strategy cards games, also expensive but worth it)

C'mon guys. Our CAG recommendations are on page 1 of this very thread. No need to keep mentioning them every time someone new gets an iPhone.

I broke down and got Dark Meadow for its current price, it probably won't drop to this level again any time soon and i'm stalking up on eye candy for when i can upgrade to the 4S.
It looks good

King of Dragon Pass dropped from $9.99 to $5.99. Can any CAG vouch for the quality of this game? The $1-2 games have spoiled me... That and I'm down to my last $10 in itunes bucks until Christmas.

Lane Splitter is the main FAAD game right now.
"Lane Splitter is a fast-paced arcade action game where your reflexes will mean the difference between either surviving or crashing in spectacular fashion!
Ride your motorcycle at insane speeds through ever changing traffic. Keep an eye out for careless drivers and avoid vehicle blind spots. Easy to learn but hard to master. Do you have what it takes to reach "TOP SPEED"?"

Slam Dunk King
is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Are you a good enough baller to become the Slam Dunk King?! Show your skills with trick dunks and smooth moves, harness unique mascot powerups, earn those coins and improve your rank! Master and chain together over a dozen tricks to prove you are the best and become the King.
Slam Dunk King has 3 exciting game modes to test your basketball skills; Time Attack, Arcade, and Sudden Death."

Man I dropped my iPod in the parking lot tonight. Has anyone gotten a shattered screen fixed before? Or is this just a good excuse to buy an iphone?

[quote name='envelopes']Man I dropped my iPod in the parking lot tonight. Has anyone gotten a shattered screen fixed before? Or is this just a good excuse to buy an iphone?[/QUOTE]
Replacement screens are cheap on Amazon. Just search Iphone digitzer make sure the listings say that the glass is included.Also search for videos and high rez photos on how to open your phone.

[quote name='LuisRM']King of Dragon Pass dropped from $9.99 to $5.99. Can any CAG vouch for the quality of this game? The $1-2 games have spoiled me... That and I'm down to my last $10 in itunes bucks until Christmas.[/QUOTE]
I vouch for it. It's a fantasy kingdom management game with lots of CYOA style questions. Does a great job of having things come back to bite you in the ass or give you good fortune. Entertaining. Only problems are that it is pretty damn opaque and it is hard to figure out why you're winning or losing. Luck is also a huge part of any CYOA choice. I enjoyed it tremendously but was also happy to see the back of it. I would say it was worth it

[quote name='GodOfUncharted']http://appshopper.com/games/puzzle-agent-2-hd

Puzzle Agent 2 HD has dropped from $6.99 to $2.99. Loved the first one, so I'll definitely be picking this up.[/QUOTE]

This game is pretty good.

You know, I love watching the 'app activity' on games like this. Jack the price up to $7 and then a few weeks later drop it to $3... repeat this over and over to increase sales.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']So get on it...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't the one stating that it was out of date. The point is that if you want it to be updated and current, and you have the power to make it so, go ahead and do it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Once again, I adopt early and am made a fool for it. Graggh.[/QUOTE]

Wow. This is ridic and jerky! Also, how is $2.99 to $.99 an 80% sale???

[quote name='envelopes']Wow. This is ridic and jerky! Also, how is $2.99 to $.99 an 80% sale???[/QUOTE]

Normal price on all Gamebook Adventure apps is $4.99. They go on sale for $2.99 on occasion, but not too often less than that. The are released at $2.99 and listed as release-sale priced. I think that release sale price typically runs for a week. I haven't checked Appshopper history on the others, but I think this is the first time a GBA has dropped in price like this. Typically, it's $2.99 -> $4.99 -> infrequent sale at $2.99 or $1.99. Bought it on release day as I do with every one of the games in this series. Not the least bit sorry or upset at seeing it for less now. Just hopeful that this will lead to more folks getting into the series like I am. One of my favorite all-time sets of games.

RagManX

Gamebook Adventures games are all $5 normally and sales don't happen often on them.

Hence why I thought it was fantastically unlikely they would outdo the $3 launch sale price DURING THAT LAUNCH SALE

I'm not too upset because it's worth my moneys but... dang

Is Zombieville 2 a good game? The top reviews say the first one was way better, but maybe these people don't like change.

Bought the Gamebook Adventures game. This will be my first one.

Ninja Pong HD is fun, but nothing earth shaking. It's a bit like a Game & Watch game, albeit with unlockables, nice graphics, etc.Stiil, I like it. Worth 99c

[quote name='Masker13']Got game dev story, Plants V zombies, and couple of other goodies

Got $1 and not sure what to buy. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Gamebook Adventures #7. Get it before it returns to its normal $4.99. Worth it at full price. A steal at a dolla'.

[quote name='RagManX']Gamebook Adventures #7. Get it before it returns to its normal $4.99. Worth it at full price. A steal at a dolla'.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like my cup of tea:cry:

Added 9 more codes for "The Monster at the End of this Book" to the spreadsheet. Enjoy.

Check your pm floob, pertinent info sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='joebootoo']Added 9 more codes for "The Monster at the End of this Book" to the spreadsheet. Enjoy.
.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing! My 3 year old will love this!

Just added 3 more jetpack joyride codes to achilles' spreadsheet. Enjoy folks!

*edit - Sorry, I removed the 3. I am actually very disenchanted with the faceless leeches on the spreadsheet as well. If you still want a JJ code, reply to this post and I will pm you one. At least this way I know I'm actually helping out a fellow CAG.

[quote name='jjz203']Just added 3 more jetpack joyride codes to achilles' spreadsheet. Enjoy folks!

*edit - Sorry, I removed the 3. I am actually very disenchanted with the faceless leeches on the spreadsheet as well. If you still want a JJ code, reply to this post and I will pm you one. At least this way I know I'm actually helping out a fellow CAG.[/QUOTE]

I'd like one kind sir.

Thanks guys for the generosity.

[quote name='jjz203']Just added 3 more jetpack joyride codes to achilles' spreadsheet. Enjoy folks!

*edit - Sorry, I removed the 3. I am actually very disenchanted with the faceless leeches on the spreadsheet as well. If you still want a JJ code, reply to this post and I will pm you one. At least this way I know I'm actually helping out a fellow CAG.[/QUOTE]

If you still have one I wouldn't mind a code. Thanks for finding them.

Btw, I'd just like to thank jjz203 for the JJ code you shared with me last week. That game is a lot of fun and it has become my new "one more time" game on my iPhone.

The relatively new Chillingo title Rogue Sky is currently available for FREE.
"This arcade flying game is full of hot air…
Take flight in a grinning hot air balloon in this unique arcade flying game. Navigate through the cloud-filled skies, collect valuable power-stars, destroy enemy balloons and avoid floating mines to make it to the end of each stage and collect those precious coins. Featuring gorgeous artwork, addicting gameplay, and a ton of content, Rogue Sky is one title you won’t be putting down in a hurry."

[quote name='mailman27']Btw, I'd just like to thank jjz203 for the JJ code you shared with me last week. That game is a lot of fun and it has become my new "one more time" game on my iPhone.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, it is quite addicting, I've done every achievement in the game, bought everything there is to buy in the stash (from gold collected of course, it wouldn't be CAG like to spend real money for it! :razz: ) and have 13 badges now (as in finished all missions 13 times).

2 codes down, 1 more Jetpack Joyride code left folks.

What the heck. In for Gamebook Adventures. I haven't tried any of these, so now's the time, it seems. Also picking up Rogue Skies and Urban Ninja, both for free. Thanks folks!

[quote name='joebootoo']Added 9 more codes for "The Monster at the End of this Book" to the spreadsheet. Enjoy.

Check your pm floob, pertinent info sent.[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the additional codes. My kids will love this addition to their digital library :)

I wouldn't mind checking it out as well if you get any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back