iPad game sales-see the new iOS combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, i didn't want to bog down the iphone thread and deals seem to already be popping up. Honestly, I think there needs to be a full forum for downloadable stuff.

Also, I recommend checking out the toucharcade.com forums...developers are giving away tons of free promo codes right now.

Even if you aren't getting an ipad right away, stocking up on freebies now isn't a bad idea.

How does DRM work if you have multiple devices like both an iPhone and an iPad? Can I use the same account to transfer apps to both devices or would I need a separate account for each device?

[quote name='neonglow']How does DRM work if you have multiple devices like both an iPhone and an iPad? Can I use the same account to transfer apps to both devices or would I need a separate account for each device?[/QUOTE]

I have been using an iphone, ipod touch and my wife has an iphone...I am able to put the same game on all of them. With an ipad its more complicated. The ipad will play anything you already have in the same size as the iphone or with lower resolution out of the box, but developers are optimizing their games. Some have 2 versions that you have to buy separately and some are universal(meaning they are optimized for both iphone and ipad and you only have to buy them once)

[quote name='caltab']I have been using an iphone, ipod touch and my wife has an iphone...I am able to put the same game on all of them. With an ipad its more complicated. The ipad will play anything you already have in the same size as the iphone or with lower resolution out of the box, but developers are optimizing their games. Some have 2 versions that you have to buy separately and some are universal(meaning they are optimized for both iphone and ipad and you only have to buy them once)[/QUOTE]

Cool, it sounds like if I get an iPad, I can transfer the same games over.

Another free game is Harbor Master HD
http://appshopper.com/games/harbor-master-hd

[quote name='neonglow']Cool, it sounds like if I get an iPad, I can transfer the same games over.

Another free game is Harbor Master HD
http://appshopper.com/games/harbor-master-hd[/QUOTE]

ya, you can, they just wont all be optimized for free...I think harbor master is always going to be free, smiles is only free till tomorrow, its price will be 4.99.

In for Smiles and HM. I don't have an iPad but I will in a few years so I may as well stock up now. These will of course cost money in the future!

I take it you have to have a iPad in order to download any of these in iTunes. I thought I could get ahead of the game with some of the temp free things but I can't seem to access anything in the store that is Pad related at all.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I take it you have to have a iPad in order to download any of these in iTunes. I thought I could get ahead of the game with some of the temp free things but I can't seem to access anything in the store that is Pad related at all.[/QUOTE]

No, anyone can download them. You have to do it on your computer though, you can't download them through your touch/phone (obviously).

[quote name='seanr1221']No, anyone can download them. You have to do it on your computer though, you can't download them through your touch/phone (obviously).[/QUOTE]
Must just be problems with the store right now then.

[quote name='geekpimpfx']marvel app is incredible![/QUOTE]

Wasn't able to pick an iPad up today, but have heard great things about it. Only drawback I heard about the Marvel app is $2 a comic. I was really hoping for $.99, still though it looks incredible.

If somebody makes a CBR or CBZ Comic Reader, I would probably pick up an iPad as I bought a Netbook just for that reason as my 15" laptop was a pain to try and use on the plane when I went on a trip last year.

[quote name='Owen']If somebody makes a CBR or CBZ Comic Reader, I would probably pick up an iPad as I bought a Netbook just for that reason as my 15" laptop was a pain to try and use on the plane when I went on a trip last year.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure ComicZeal reads CBR/CBZ. Not 100% sure though.

[quote name='seanr1221']Pretty sure ComicZeal reads CBR/CBZ. Not 100% sure though.[/QUOTE]

I just looked up that app and it seems that you need to use a ComicZeal converter on your computer to convert the cbr/cbz files into a new file format that ComicZeal can read. Far too much extra stuff to do if you have a lot of CBRs already and it seems from one review that the conversions get resized some so some of the text become unreadable for that user.

Harbor Master HD is free right now. I had never played that or Flight Control before, but it's a lot of fun. It looks great, and you can't go wrong with free!

I haven't played We Rule or Tap Tap Radiation but if you're looking for free stuff, those are as well.

I think we should post game suggestions too...

Plants Vs Zombies HD is a must buy, IMO. If you love the PC/Mac or iPhone version you need to pick this game up.

I'm also really enjoying Dungeon Hunter HD, but I loved the iPhone version.

Whats the word on Real Racing vs Need for Speed? I think Kotaku said they liked NFS more.

If you can afford $499 on an Ipad, I don't think money is an issue with you (or you have too much credit card debt).

[quote name='oasisboy']If you can afford $499 on an Ipad, I don't think money is an issue with you (or you have too much credit card debt).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, $500 MUST mean you're MADE of money. :roll: Jealous much?

BTW- How much did you spend on your gaming consoles?

Free Games that are worth checking out -

Harbor Master HD - line drawing - mentioned above
GodFinger A MMO type
Sudoku Tablet
We Rule Another MMO type
Aurora Feint Match 3 - great graphics
Pukk HD - air hockey type
CastleCraft - MMO
Clickomania HD
reMovem 2
Smiles HD - was free just went back up today...

Currently not a bunch for sale that are totally worth it - things are really up there right now, but probably will come down in the next few months. Dungeon Master HD looks great, but is the exact same game as iPhone and I played it to death, so other than eye candy, $6.99 is not worth it.

Oh, looks like Shaghai Mahjong went on sale for $1.99 - advantage of this one is that it has links for hundreds of tile layouts, and skins... don't know how it plays, but screen shots look pretty good...

updated the OP with the launch sales I know of and notable free games...if there are any worthwhile ones ive missed let me know. I didn't put CastleCraft on the free list because it requires a subscription.

Thanks Caltab - and I agree with your assessments of the apps, although I did not get Real Racing HD.

[quote name='geekpimpfx']Anyone try Geometry Wars yet? $10 seems a little steep, but I love me some Geometry Wars[/QUOTE]

I have, its pretty good, not one of the best I've played. The controls are adequate and the graphics are nice and sharp, but I haven't had a huge desire to play it much for whatever reason. I would say it depends on how much you like the original.

[quote name='seanr1221']What's Mirror's Edge going back up to?[/QUOTE]

My guess is 14.99 based on what they are charging for need for speed. I have a lot of ipad games and this and Soosiz are the 2 I keep coming back to. In a while I think prices will eventual go down, but 12.99 might be the cheapest you see this for a while- EA is probably trying to push the limit up as high as possible and may be willing to wait out a price drop.

On another note, I picked up my ipod touch to compare an HD game and man did it feel light and strange in my hands after using the ipad.

[quote name='Nohbdy']The Marvel app sucks balls.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with the Marvel app. That article just talks about how sharing comics cannot be done with this app. Welcome to the digital age dumbass. This will come eventually for most media. It's as true an argument to say that [insert download only title here] sucks only because you cannot share it with a friend after you've beaten it.

I'm not even into comic books, but I downloaded this app and my son enjoyed it for a good 2 hours reading through the free comics. Was wonderful while waiting for seating at the restaurant.

[quote name='lawdood']Yeah, $500 MUST mean you're MADE of money. :roll: Jealous much?

BTW- How much did you spend on your gaming consoles?[/QUOTE]

With this economy, $499 on a luxury item, yes it means you have money (or have no bills to pay or are up you ass on debt).

$499 can pay rent for some people, a car payment , a new TV, laptop, etc.

Jealous? Please, with Apple the lesson learned is that you NEVER buy a 1st generation product. How did that work out for those suckers who got an Iphone on day 1?

I spent $250 on a 360 and $400 on a PS3. These consoles actually play videogames, surf the web, play Blu-Ray (PS3) so I see the long term value on these items. The Ipad, well, I rather have my laptop which costs the same as an Ipad and can do much, much more.

Harbor Master HD only has one level. I'd guess that is why it is free. Kind of a demo. I expect a version with more levels that won't be free. I think the iPhone version has like 6-7 levels.

[quote name='oasisboy']With this economy, $499 on a luxury item, yes it means you have money (or have no bills to pay or are up you ass on debt).

$499 can pay rent for some people, a car payment , a new TV, laptop, etc.

Jealous? Please, with Apple the lesson learned is that you NEVER buy a 1st generation product. How did that work out for those suckers who got an Iphone on day 1?

I spent $250 on a 360 and $400 on a PS3. These consoles actually play videogames, surf the web, play Blu-Ray (PS3) so I see the long term value on these items. The Ipad, well, I rather have my laptop which costs the same as an Ipad and can do much, much more.[/QUOTE]

wtf does this have to do with the topic, go troll in the other ipad thread if you have a problem with the device and you need attention, ill even give you a link to it:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250399&page=20

[quote name='caltab']
On another note, I picked up my ipod touch to compare an HD game and man did it feel light and strange in my hands after using the ipad.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. Now when I look at my iPhone, it looks really tiny, it's weird.

And I picked up Mirrors Edge on your suggestion. Hope to get to it tonight.

I think I'm done with apps for a while now (pending any sales). Final count is: PvZ, Nova, Dungeon Hunter, Geo Wars, Mirror's Edge and Need for Speed.

Good thing my mom and gf gave me iTunes cards for Easter :lol:

[quote name='caltab']wtf does this have to do with the topic, go troll in the other ipad thread if you have a problem with the device and you need attention, ill even give you a link to it:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250399&page=20[/QUOTE]

Need attention? :lol:

I don't have a problem with the Ipad, I just made a simple comment about how you have no money issues if you can afford one. Then, someone said I was jealous for not having one so I replied with some comments. You can ignore my posts and move on. Play with your Ipad instead of wasting your time on me.

Just downloaded Magic Piano. This thing is awesome. Learning to play Moonlight Sonata was fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that some apps allow a free upgrade to the iPad version. I wonder if this is true and if so which these are?

[quote name='BREVITY']I read that some apps allow a free upgrade to the iPad version. I wonder if this is true and if so which these are?[/QUOTE]

Yes there are some that are universal apps and are optimized for both devices. A sampling of ones I have are: babo crash HD, bebbled, parachute panic, cat in the hat, dr suess abcs

Isn't the MGS game from Konami a free upgrade to the HD version too? Don't have an ipad but noticed that an update was available for it ... wish it was a better game, maybe it's more fun in HD ;-p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back