iPad game sales-see the new iOS combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Fire_Thief']Getting the $1200 13 inch MacBook Pro. 16Gb iPad.

I get $100 off the Mac with my school discount...

No, get this. I don't have money like THAT but there is this credit card you can sign up for in the Apple store. It gives you 12 months to pay whatever you want off. You pay however much you want per month. It's 0 interest if you do it in that first year! So I did the math. I pay only $150 a month and I can have both of these beasts paid off in exactly a year! This also includes iWork and a case for the iPad! This is just awesome!!! I make a little over $800 a month so 150 is nothing... That and my $30 phone bill are all I will have to pay every month!!! I plan to buy a digital camera next week and then a PS3 in 3 weeks... Then in 5 weeks I will probably be going for this deal!!! Yes!!![/QUOTE]

How much does Apple pay you?

battle for wesnoth HD was just released for a launch price of .99, says its 80 percent off. This is one of the most popular turn based strategy games on the iphone.

Dropped from $6.99 to FREE!!!

183735.png

Pool Pro Online 3 for iPad
iPad Only
"Namco’s Pool Pro Online 3 is easily one of the best."

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pool-pro-online-3-for-ipad/id364183735?mt=8

Bought Battle of Wesnoth last night and it looks like it is well worth the 99 cent price point. Graphics are good, art style and design is a little so-so, but the music and gameplay are great. There is a bug in the current release, so make sure that you lock the screen orientation prior to opening the game.

I am glad to see the sales are alive and well on the ipad, I was worried during release week when everything was over $10.

Sweet, I'm definitely going to pick up Battle of Wesnoth.

Of course I'm at work right now and left my iPad home. Doh! Oh well, I'll be home in about seven hours.

[quote name='heavy liquid']Sweet, I'm definitely going to pick up Battle of Wesnoth. [/QUOTE]

Me, too. I haven't played it yet, but if I hate it, it's a $0.99 mistake. With all the great reviews, I'm less concerned. I've never been able to get into a turn-based strategy game, but I'm going to commit to this one to get some enjoyment out of it.

Anyone tried any notepad applications? I was trying to decide between penultimate and paperdesk. Looks like both have some good and bad reviews.

Iblast moki is on sale for 2.99, don't think there is anything different from the iPhone version except the graphics, although I believe I read the developer was working on iPad exclusive content.

Pacific Defense is free, its a pretty cool aircraft gunner game, that uses motion controls to move the turret left, right, up and down and then you tap on the screen to shoot. The game incorporates WWII footage and sound effects. My only complaint is that the game is buggy and crashes, but for free certainly worth a look. It ate up 30 minutes of my time last night.

Just picked up my 64Gb 3G from the Apple store so that I can finally play all the iPad only games I have downloaded. Can't believe the line that was at the store. I thought most of the big rush would have been during the release of the initial iPad model. The line at the Aventura mall was wrapped around 4-5 times.

Now I need to go ahead and pick up Wesnoth. Loved it on the iPod touch but the pics of the larger view make it seem so much nicer on the iPad.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Just picked up my 64Gb 3G from the Apple store so that I can finally play all the iPad only games I have downloaded. Can't believe the line that was at the store. I thought most of the big rush would have been during the release of the initial iPad model. The line at the Aventura mall was wrapped around 4-5 times.

Now I need to go ahead and pick up Wesnoth. Loved it on the iPod touch but the pics of the larger view make it seem so much nicer on the iPad.[/QUOTE]

You're going to love your new iPad. It's a great device.

I know this is off topic a bit but I figured this would be the most direct way to ask fellow CAGers that actually have or have used an iPad. Does anyone else's iPad have some very strong ghosting issues during certain actions such as flipping through the pages on the main windows. I have watched some videos in various resolutions and don't notice it during the videos, but it is easily noticeable when scrolling through the pages on the main window as well as scrolling around web pages in safari.

Other than that I am definitely enjoying it so far. Typed this message on it using the landscaped keyboard and found it very easy to uses and type very quickly as well.

Just got an iPad from the wife as a early anniversary present. I love her! What case is everyone using? So far the official Apple case looks like the case to get any opinions? Also what about screen protection?

Might and card free is a very nice carcason clone. Looks like you get the basic starter set for free. To get the booster sets you need to buy the 5 dollar gold version. It has no ai yet, but the developer says it's coming. If your a fan of carcasone this is a freebie to check out. This is a vastly improved version that was just released, it doesnt suffer from slowdown. If you tried this and deleted it, take another look because it works now.

The paid version of the game is still not working well, but the developer has said the same update that fixed the free version has already been submitted.

Also the real carcason ip is set to release as a universal app for 5 bucks in may.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Raider']Just got an iPad from the wife as a early anniversary present. I love her! What case is everyone using? So far the official Apple case looks like the case to get any opinions? Also what about screen protection?[/QUOTE]
I just got an iPad as a surprise gift from my parents (they're awesome!). I got the official Apple case as well because it is the sturdiest case for typing. If I ever decide to start traveling with the iPad I will probably pick up an medge case: http://www.medgestore.com/products/ipad/ I have the platform jacket for my Kindle DX and it provides amazing protection.

Luckily I had been downloading the free games from this thread to my iTunes account even though I had no idea I was getting an iPad (I figured I would get one eventually when money was right). Looking forward to trying these games out :)

I don't think it's on sale or anything, but our iPad has become almost entirely a Words with Friends device. Anyone who likes Scrabble should definitely grab it; I honestly don't know how it differs from the actual official Scrabble app, but it is a third of the price!

I have the official Apple case and like it, but spme people have said it's flimsy and the little fluted soft edge on the case might get irritating. Again, I don't have either of those complaints, but I also got it as a gift so didn't really do any case comparisons on my own.

I bought the official case as well. The only complaint I have is the amount of dust collection on the outer layer. If you set it down somewhere with even a small amount of dust it will stick to the outside of the case. Its easy to wipe down it just gets on my nerves.

Functionally I love the official case. There were some reviews that said it wasn't sturdy when having it set to the slanted mode for typing but I have had no issues. Works well on a desk or on your lap and makes for quick and easy typing.

Tap Studio PRO
"Do you love Tap games? What if you could tap ANY song you own? What if you could access a Tap Vault of over 30,000 song taps for an amazing variety of songs with hundreds more added every day?"

Tap Studio PRO has dropped from $2.99 to FREE for a limited time (http://appshopper.com/games/tap-studio-pro).

This is was posted on the ipod/iphone link but plays well on ipad. If you like Tap games I HIGHLY recommend this one.

My Ipad comes next week! Oh man I can't wait. Thanks for all the free apps and games, I've been downloading them so I am ready

[quote name='Raider']Just got an iPad from the wife as a early anniversary present. I love her! What case is everyone using? So far the official Apple case looks like the case to get any opinions? Also what about screen protection?[/QUOTE]

I can't even find the official Apple case in stores and online it's a 2 week wait! I saw Best Buy is not carrying the keyboard dock though.

[quote name='lunker']I don't think it's on sale or anything, but our iPad has become almost entirely a Words with Friends device. Anyone who likes Scrabble should definitely grab it; I honestly don't know how it differs from the actual official Scrabble app, but it is a third of the price.[/QUOTE]

I also love this game, ive been playing with my bro and mom across the country for weeks.

I also have the official case and like it. It does show dirt very easily, but can be easily cleaned. Also, it's not something you want to take off and on, it fits very tightly so it's difficult to remove.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I know this is off topic a bit but I figured this would be the most direct way to ask fellow CAGers that actually have or have used an iPad. Does anyone else's iPad have some very strong ghosting issues during certain actions such as flipping through the pages on the main windows. I have watched some videos in various resolutions and don't notice it during the videos, but it is easily noticeable when scrolling through the pages on the main window as well as scrolling around web pages in safari.
[/QUOTE]
I do notice some ghosting when playing games with fast moving sprites against static backgrounds, like Air Hockey Gold. It was a little jarring at first, but it's not terrible and I haven't found it to be a huge distraction. I can image other being annoyed by it, though.

Has anyone tried the iPad version of Duke Nukem 3D? It's not on sale but I was considering getting it since I used to play it as a kid.

-Update-
I went ahead and purchased the game. It looks great on the iPad but the controls are, well, I just hope I need more practice with the iPad cause the virtual dual analog sticks aren't working so great. I'll have to give it more time before I decide if it is playable or not.

-Uodate 2-
Played the game more. Long story short you should pass for now. I put a review up in the appstore under username lilman4 for anyone interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have the official apple case and like others have said, it does gather dust pretty easily. Most of it will wipe off but it is one drawback. I was disappointed at first because it did seem really flimsy when standing it up on a flat surface to watch a movie or something. However, after a few weeks of use, it seems to have gotten a more stable so I think you just have to break it in.

It is a snug fit, which is both good and bad. It's nice because the case really feels like an extension of the iPad rather than a case...but it's bad because dust and whatever will accumulate under the edges, which is gross before too long. I tend to take mine out of the case every few days now and it's not too difficult to slip in and out as long as you are a little patient with it.

As far as typing goes, I think the Apple case does an excellent job of providing just the right angle. I haven't bothered with a screen protector and I don't think I will, especially with the nice way this case folds over the entire screen. But if you want a screen protector, you can find those easily online and they are usually only a few dollars.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with it - and it looks pretty sharp too!:)

[quote name='caltab']I also love this game, ive been playing with my bro and mom across the country for weeks.

I also have the official case and like it. It does show dirt very easily, but can be easily cleaned. Also, it's not something you want to take off and on, it fits very tightly so it's difficult to remove.[/QUOTE]

Does the Ipad Words with Friends HD cross play with people who have the normal Iphone/Ipod versions?

[quote name='KongaKing']Does the Ipad Words with Friends HD cross play with people who have the normal Iphone/Ipod versions?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and you can also play the same game on both your iPad and iPhone

[quote name='caltab']Yes, and you can also play the same game on both your iPad and iPhone[/QUOTE]

Nice. Thanks. Only a few more days 'til my Ipad arrives, can't wait!

Meatball Madness! HD - IPAD ONLY
FREE For Today ONLY - FULL Version!

609897.png

If you like Simon, you will LOVE Meatball Madness!

It's you against the world in Meatball Madness! Battle your way through fast paced, Simon-Style Gameplay against over 20 bosses. Instantly post your scores to Facebook and at the end of each round to compete with your friends.

Play a quick match in one of 3 different difficulty modes, or settle in for the long haul in Survival Mode. Meatball Madness keeps track of your lifetime score too, but don't relax now! The minute you stop playing is the minute your friends start catching up with you! Challenge your friends, your neighbors, your family... even your boss!

It's so simple a child could play it, but even Einstein himself could never master it.

Think you're smarter than your friends? Prove it.

http://appshopper.com/games/meatball-madness-hd

[quote name='Owen']If somebody makes a CBR or CBZ Comic Reader, I would probably pick up an iPad as I bought a Netbook just for that reason as my 15" laptop was a pain to try and use on the plane when I went on a trip last year.[/QUOTE]
I use ComicZeal ($7.99) and it reads cbr and cbz. I've already loaded a bunch of manga on it and it rocks. Pdf manga in Goodreader was pretty good as well, but ComicZeal offers much better functionality. I wrote up a comparison here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=893578&postcount=14

Oh, and I use my own comic processing app to prepare the cbz manga before sending it to the iPad. If anyone is interested you can get it free from here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79004
Just wait a day or two for v1.5 to come out as it will be the first release of me actually having an iPad so it will be better tailored for it.

I haven't checked out ComicZeal yet, CloudReaders has been working great for me so far. Just drag and drop CBR and CBZ files into the app via iTunes... only takes a second or two for each comic. Best of all is that it's free. I guess that's the main reason I haven't tried out ComicZeal yet.

CloudReader is pretty good, very easy to send files via the cloud, which is great, because I can't stand syncing the iPad, it takes forever, so I can get a cbr to the iPad quickly via the CloudReader. Not nearly the full-function reader like a Comic Reader Mobi (RIP), but overall not bad for free.

[quote name='prayformojo']CloudReader is pretty good, very easy to send files via the cloud, which is great, because I can't stand syncing the iPad, it takes forever, so I can get a cbr to the iPad quickly via the CloudReader. Not nearly the full-function reader like a Comic Reader Mobi (RIP), but overall not bad for free.[/QUOTE]
iTunes syncing isn't bad as long as you disable automatic backups. This can be done using Backoff (free program): http://www.digidna.net/products/backoff

You'll still be able to manually backup your iPad by right-clicking it in iTunes and selecting "backup". Turning this off saved me a lot of time since I have gigs of manga on my iPad and iTunes wanted to back them up every time I synced.

Another thing I found is that if you transfer files to your iPad through the app file share in iTunes, the transfer speed will slow to a crawl once you transfer a lot of files to a single app. For example, after I transferred a few hundred chapters of manga to ComicZeal, disconnected the iPad, then reconnected to transfer more chapters, I noticed that the transfer speed was very slow. What's really happening though is not that the transfer speed is slow, it's that every time you transfer a file iTunes refreshes the file list for that share. Since my file share was full of comics, this was taking forever. A trick to get around this is as soon as you start a transfer (like drag and drop a folders worth of files to the file share), immediately click another app in the file share area that doesn't have many files in it. That way iTunes won't keep refreshing the file list for the big file share and the transfer speed returns to normal.

Thanks so much, I will try this out tonight, because I still have lots of comics to pull over, plus I want to update my pictures and I have been dreading it due to how long the sync process was.

[quote name='lilman']Another thing I found is that if you transfer files to your iPad through the app file share in iTunes, the transfer speed will slow to a crawl once you transfer a lot of files to a single app. For example, after I transferred a few hundred chapters of manga to ComicZeal, disconnected the iPad, then reconnected to transfer more chapters, I noticed that the transfer speed was very slow. What's really happening though is not that the transfer speed is slow, it's that every time you transfer a file iTunes refreshes the file list for that share. Since my file share was full of comics, this was taking forever. A trick to get around this is as soon as you start a transfer (like drag and drop a folders worth of files to the file share), immediately click another app in the file share area that doesn't have many files in it. That way iTunes won't keep refreshing the file list for the big file share and the transfer speed returns to normal.[/QUOTE]
Great tip, thanks!

Not a game, but dropbox has launched an ipad native app today, looks like a great way to get pictures, music and video onto the ipad or to share between mutliple computers.

[quote name='prayformojo']Not a game, but dropbox has launched an ipad native app today, looks like a great way to get pictures, music and video onto the ipad or to share between mutliple computers.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up. For those that don't know, Dropbox is free and aside from the features prayformojo listed, it can also talk to some third-party apps on the iPad such as Goodreader so that you can download items to your Dropbox and then send them over to the app's file share. You can also use it to upload photos from your iPad.

Those jirbo games are terrible, free is free, but not really worth the time. Marble Mash was good and the mah-jong game is a good version of mah-jong, but the rest of the stuff is not very good.

Carcassonne (a tile laying board game) is coming out sometime in May for iPhone at $4.99. They are planning on extending it to a universal binary (same download will work on iPhone and natively on iPad) after the initial release.

Here's the deal: They're going to raise the price to $9.99 when it goes universal (source of that information).

So, I'll probably be buying this at $4.99 when it comes out for iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back