iPad game sales-see the new iOS combined thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chu Chu Rocket also down to $4.99, I picked up GTA and am really impressed with the graphics and production quality. Controls might be a little iffy, need more time to give it a real try.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Geometry Wars is on sale for 99c[/QUOTE]

Go get this if you have not played it, really well done and for 99 cents its an easy buy.

Two recent free universal releases of note, esp if you have kids:
1) Smurfs
2) Lego Creationary

Bunch of EA iPad games on sale this weekend, including:
Scrabble - $4.99 (down from $9.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scrabble-for-ipad/id363306776?mt=8
Reckless Racing - $1.99 (down from $4.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reckless-racing-hd/id386237505?mt=8
NFS Shift - $4.99 (down from $9.99 or $12.99, can't remember): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/need-for-speed-shift-for-ipad/id363301193?mt=8
Mirror's Edge - $4.99 (down from $9.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mirrors-edge-for-ipad/id363311002?mt=8
C&C - $4.99 (down from $9.99 or $12.99, can't remember): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/command-conquer-red-alert/id363317738?mt=8
Madden - $6.99 (down from ?, probably $12.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/madden-nfl-11-by-ea-sports/id384462194?mt=8
Tetris - $2.99 (down from $6.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tetris-for-ipad/id363296995?mt=8
more... just search "electronic arts" in the appstore

I highly recommend Mirror's Edge (bought it at full price when I first got my iPad), and I just picked up Reckless Racing since the reviews were positive. Most of the other games have mixed reviews, so be sure to read up before purchasing.

-Update-
Played more Reckless Racing and strongly recommend it. Also picked up Scrabble and Tetris. EA included a d-pad for Tetris which is much better than using swipe controls. Scrabble seems good so far. I was going to go with Words with Friends, but Scrabble includes a single-player mode.

The sale is still alive but will probably end at any time today since they said it was for the weekend only.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='prayformojo']Also not a deal, but Game Dev Story is now universal, maybe it always was but it is now.[/QUOTE]
Are you sure? When I search for it, I see the full version and the lite version, and both are iPhone native only.

I don't know there is no plus near the price indicating that it is universal, but I was going off the text which says it's universal for use with the iPad. Could be some misleading bs, because technically most iPhone apps work on the iPad, but it is not a true universal app with improved graphics. Sorry if this caused any problems, but seems buyer beware at the moment.

I'm the one who started the iPod/iPhone thread in the deals forum. I brought up the idea of including iPad app sales in the thread. I think many developers are starting to make their Apps Universal (working on iPad as well as iPhone/iPod). The major difference between the two for the longest time was screen resolution. I think developers have figured out a way to include that code in their apps, allowing them to be universal and cut down on distribution time.

I reset my threads at 5,000 posts, and a reset is coming soon. If any of you think I should emphasize iPad in my title/intro post and corral the deals there let me know. I figured I would post here before changing the title of my thread to reflect it.

If you think I should include any iPad specific information for the initial post I can do that too.

Barring any developments, I plan on creating a separate thread for the Mac Apps store in the deals forum. The official release isn't until early 2011, but the word from Apple was that it was opening within 90 days of their announcement, which would be this year.

I just bought an Ipad on Friday night so I now have a reason to come into this topic YAY! ANyways I was looking thru the store and ran across some of the deals posted. I am really considering Scrabble for $5. Anyone have it, is it any good? The reviews seem to be pretty positive.

[quote name='cgarb84']I just bought an Ipad on Friday night so I now have a reason to come into this topic YAY! ANyways I was looking thru the store and ran across some of the deals posted. I am really considering Scrabble for $5. Anyone have it, is it any good? The reviews seem to be pretty positive.[/QUOTE]

yeah its fun and worth getting. solid interface and clean visuals

[quote name='prayformojo']Add Madden to the EA list, it is $6.99.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have this? The reviews are all over the place...I'd like to pick it up but
I'm not sure it's worth it. Any forum members have any advice on madden?

[quote name='prayformojo']I bought it earlier today, but have not gotten into it much yet, hope to this evening and will post my thoughts.[/QUOTE]

That would be much appreciated if you could...it's only on sale for the weekend!

Got to play a half of a game and if you are used to madden on the consoles I would not recommend it, but for madden on a portable device it is not bad. The controls are ok and presentation is good, but like so many ports of console games or game loft copies of console games it comes up way short when compared to the console versions. It has a season mode which is cool, but the rosters seem to have not been updated since the app launched. Wish I had skipped it, even at $7 it seems a little overpriced, there are so many great apps that can only work on the iPad, that it is hard to recommend these types of apps.

On the other hand I can recommend reckless racing HD and mirrors edge, both play great and were designed specifically for the iPad. I'd say skip madden and spend the $7 on those two games during the sale. I picked mirrors edge up at launch and it is still one of the best iPad games out there, esp at the sale price.

[quote name='prayformojo']Got to play a half of a game and if you are used to madden on the consoles I would not recommend it, but for madden on a portable device it is not bad. The controls are ok and presentation is good, but like so many ports of console games or game loft copies of console games it comes up way short when compared to the console versions. It has a season mode which is cool, but the rosters seem to have not been updated since the app launched. Wish I had skipped it, even at $7 it seems a little overpriced, there are so many great apps that can only work on the iPad, that it is hard to recommend these types of apps.

On the other hand I can recommend reckless racing HD and mirrors edge, both play great and were designed specifically for the iPad. I'd say skip madden and spend the $7 on those two games during the sale. I picked mirrors edge up at launch and it is still one of the best iPad games out there, esp at the sale price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot! This was exactly the sort of commentary I was looking for. I picked up Mirrors Edge and Reckless Racing instead as you suggested and they are both fantastic. Strangely enough those were some of the apps that were making me wonder about spending the $7 on Madden. I appreciate the heads up.:)

Gameloft's GT Racing: Motor Academy HD is now on sale for a limited time: ($6.99 -> $0.99)

049508.png

"GT Racing: Motor Academy lands on your iPad as the richest and most fascinating racing experience. With HD graphics and iPad-optimized controls, enjoy the finest driving sensations by controlling one of over 100 licensed cars featured in the game and earn your place in the circle of racing’s best drivers on the App Store.

A RACING EXPERIENCE OPTIMIZED FOR YOUR iPad
- HD graphics and all cockpits redesigned for an even more faithful representation of racing
- Make the game yours thanks to an interface entirely customizable and resizable
- Drag the camera in your replays and watch your best races like you have always dreamt

THE GREATEST LICENSED CONTENT EVER
25 manufacturers and more than 100 licensed cars to buy, drive and upgrade, from the Nissan GT-R and Audi R8 to the greatest Ferrari models.
Take your wheels for a spin on 14 tracks, including the iconic Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, urban and even rally tracks.

THE MOST DIVERSE RACING EXPERIENCE
Numerous game modes, from a huge Career mode with several driving tests, challenges and money rewards, to an Arcade mode and online competitions.
Buy tons of car parts to optimize your car’s performance and race with 6 different driving sensations, including an exclusive branded cockpit view for each manufacturer.
Begin as a rookie and pass your driving tests and challenges to master all the subtleties of racing and attain the highest honor in the sport.

ENJOY REAL DRIVING SENSATIONS
A new and elaborate physics engine particular to each car and intuitive controls using the accelerometer, touch screen and even a steering wheel that will immerse you in a more realistic experience.

THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH
Up to 6 players from all over the world can play together thanks to local and online multiplayer and reach the top of the worldwide rankings.

SHOW OFF YOUR RACING SKILLS
Post your greatest replays on YouTube and show the world just how gifted you are.

Full list of licensed manufacturers: Citroën, Renault, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, RUF, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Toyota, Jaguar, Lotus, Morgan, Caterham, Chevrolet, Dodge, Panoz, Ford, Plymouth, Bugatti"

http://ax.itunes.apple.com/app/gt-racing-motor-academy-hd/id376049508?mt=8

I kinda wish Gameloft would go away. They don't add anything interesting to gaming and just make derivative games. They sorta tick me off, actually. I know that it's irrational but when they put out rehashed game after rehashed game, a lot of the good stuff just gets crowded out.

I just got my iPad on Friday and I must say I'm loving it so far. The only thing I hate is how easy it is to spend money on the app store.

[quote name='bg88']I just got my iPad on Friday and I must saying I'm loving it so far. The only thing I hate is how easy it is to spend money on the app store.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, lol... Got mine as an early x-mas gift!

Got the ipad back at launch and have used it every day since, except for one, really great device. It has some flaws, but mostly it just works.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I'm the one who started the iPod/iPhone thread in the deals forum. I brought up the idea of including iPad app sales in the thread. I think many developers are starting to make their Apps Universal (working on iPad as well as iPhone/iPod). The major difference between the two for the longest time was screen resolution. I think developers have figured out a way to include that code in their apps, allowing them to be universal and cut down on distribution time.

I reset my threads at 5,000 posts, and a reset is coming soon. If any of you think I should emphasize iPad in my title/intro post and corral the deals there let me know. I figured I would post here before changing the title of my thread to reflect it.[/QUOTE]

Yes please do, it's the same platform. Otherwise a case could be made for separating iPhone 4 since there are plenty of apps that only support that device, or for example Espgaluda II which will only run on newer devices. Fragmentation doesn't help anyone here.

I think there should be one thread for universal apps and one each for iPhone and iPad specific apps. It might be confusing to have both in one thread, because there are times that there is an "HD" version of a game at a higher price. (Think bit.trip and bit.trip HD for a recent example).

This isn't a game, but the Pulse news reader app is currently Free (apparently one of the best RSS readers on the app store). I'm pretty sure it used to be $1.99, so not sure if this is just a sale or a permanent drop. Been using it for a little bit and the interface seems snappy and intuitive.

You can of course make it game related by adding the Cheap Ass Gamer RSS feed or others, such as Feed The Gamer (aggregate RSS feed of a bunch of game news sites) :)

Here's the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pulse-news-reader/id371088673?mt=8#

To be honest the iPad thread moves really slowly. As long as folks tag their posts in some way with iPhone, iPad, or Universal I don't see a problem with it being all one thread.

With that said 4.2 needs to hurry up I need folders! My poor iPad is now using invisible pages and it seems Dungeon Hunter 2 isn't coming out until 4.2 hits. I need my Diablo Clone fix! :bouncy:

I will close this thread and put a link to the combined one in the OP. I haven't been keeping the OP as up to date as I should be lately any ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back