iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='alison']Not exactly a game, but I saw on SD that ViewTi Golf (Golf GPS program) is on sale for $0.99 today only.[/QUOTE]

Goddammit! I bought it for $20 last week!

Cause I'm such a nice guy (and just found one stashed under my keyboard), here's a redemption code for Rolando:

9Y4HYAAJNHNY

Of course, it expires today, but I'm not sure if that meant this morning at 12:01am, or later tonight. Try your luck and find out! If you use it, please tell me here. :D

Video Game Price Guide by Video Game Trader Magazine is on sale for $0.99 untill 8/1 (midnight tonigh)

Not a game, but it will make a great addition to any CAG's Iphone.

Prices aren't perfect, but it makes a great general guideline and reference.

I have 3 spare Rolando redemption codes for trade. When I say trade, I do not mean a 1 for 1 trade. I am willing to part with these, cheaply.

Some things that I have in mind could be like 1-2 Pepsi Rock Band bottlecaps, a small Xbox live code? XBLA? XBLM? etc. I am not that specific though, so you could also offer me what you have.

PM me back, and we can make something work. As far as I know, the codes do expire today- so if you are interested, please be ASAP.

Pretty dissapointed in Minigore, the art style is neat, but the gameplay is very limited and its pretty much a one trick pony as it stands. More weapon variety, health packs, more than one level, more enemy types, all this would help.

[quote name='Despacio']Pretty dissapointed in Minigore, the art style is neat, but the gameplay is very limited and its pretty much a one trick pony as it stands. More weapon variety, health packs, more than one level, more enemy types, all this would help.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. It looks awesome, but I've played Akari Warriors and the like and you know that had? More than a giant open rectangular map that nothing interacts with...

It was a good start, but after 5 minutes I realized the next level was never coming. Shame. Updates, please!

I disagree. Minigore is good due to its simplicity and design. Plus the amount of update content we will be getting makes it great. Plus why the hell would anyone be disapointed with a game that's .99???

also am I the only person that finds limited gameplay a plus? sometimes too much is too much.

This is true. For $.99 I have no legitimate beef. It is easily worth the $.99. I dumped many quarters into far shallower games than this back in "the day"

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I disagree. Minigore is good due to its simplicity and design. Plus the amount of update content we will be getting makes it great. Plus why the hell would anyone be disapointed with a game that's .99???

also am I the only person that finds limited gameplay a plus? sometimes too much is too much.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='flameofdoom666']I have 3 spare Rolando redemption codes for trade. When I say trade, I do not mean a 1 for 1 trade. I am willing to part with these, cheaply.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what would a "1 for 1 trade" be on a code that you got for free, anyway?

(Not asking because I'm interested, mind you -- already have it. I just think it's kinda lame -- or if I want to be more polite, ballsy -- to pick up a pile of free codes and then try to get stuff for them, rather than just offering them up to people who want them. It's not like you won a contest or had to buy a product to get them or whatever. And you'd even rather just let them expire than give them away at the last minute too. You're awesome.)

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: minigore - one trick pony was the exact phrase I thought of when I first played it. It's not a good idea to rely on "updates" to make a game better. This game is weak - even for 99 cents. It looks pretty but that's not enough to keep me interested.

I certainly don't regret the purchase but not sure how many hours I'm gonna get outta this 99 cent purchase and being a CAG that's important and I've gotten many hours out of a lot of 99 cent games - creeps!, geodefense, peggle, defender chronicles to name a few. I realize 99 cents is insanely cheap for the amount of gameplay I've gotten out of these games although quantity of sales I'd bet makes up for it.

[quote name='walletandgromice']This is true. For $.99 I have no legitimate beef. It is easily worth the $.99. I dumped many quarters into far shallower games than this back in "the day"[/QUOTE]
I have to agree with this regarding Minigore. If it was 4.99 I would be unhappy with the game. At 0.99 I think it's worth it, especially if you like repetitive games that have a style to them and are all about racking up the highest score.

I played minogore for like 5 min when I got it... played a little later... didn't touch it for a few days. played it on the metro bus/rail... played it while waiting. It's great to kill time to be honest.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I played minogore for like 5 min when I got it... played a little later... didn't touch it for a few days. played it on the metro bus/rail... played it while waiting. It's great to kill time to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Few days? I thought it had only been out for like a day or so?

Yeah this is sorta what I see it for - a quick time killer - for me sorta like Flight Control and it's derivatives - which is another game I just couldn't get into.

Hero of Sparta back again at 0.99

BillMinder with Push Notifications dropped to 0.99 a few hours ago. Easily one of the most useful apps in the store.

Minigore on Expert is excellent...it ramps up the difficulty much quicker and doesnt have you killing things for 10 minutes before it starts getting interesting

[quote name='Malik112099']Minigore on Expert is excellent...it ramps up the difficulty much quicker and doesnt have you killing things for 10 minutes before it starts getting interesting[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! Just tried it and, indeed, you're staring at a shotgun and giant monster within the first 30 seconds. Awesome. Doesn't add any more depth to be sure, but certainly saved me from not wanting to play again because it takes so long for things to happen.

717597.png
Buckingham Palace: Hidden Mysteries has dropped from $4.99 to $0.99.

Hidden object game, well worth the dollar.

I think minigore has just the right amount of depth for the kind of game it is I loved iDracula, but I hated having to worry about switching weapons during the later waves, where all you really can do to avoid death is move and shoot. Minigore seems to have the right pace, and feels like a snappier game overall. Exactly the kind of game I want to play when I'm waiting somewhere, the iPhone doesn't have the battery life to be playing games for hours on end which is why I tend to enjoy these kinds of games.

Also, expert is the way to go on minigore. I've had the giant furball show up as my first enemy before :lol:

G is free for today since it was the winner of the CGDC 2009 'best iphone game'. I haven't checked it out yet though, but might be worth a download since it is free. Cheers!

[quote name='j0dy77']Picked up bookworm at .99! Steal at that price, great game that you'll keep coming back to.[/QUOTE]

Bookworm really is great and is easily worth $.99. Popcap games have such high production value that they really raise the bar for iPhone apps.

Also, with respect to "G" being free:
(1) Even though it's supposed to be free, it threatens that it's going to bill my credit card. Uncool.
(2) One of the reviews mention that it has some religious message to sell -- and hell, the game is called G.

I'll like my religious games just like I take my religious music ...not at all.

[quote name='walletandgromice']Also, with respect to "G" being free:
(1) Even though it's supposed to be free, it threatens that it's going to bill my credit card. Uncool.[/QUOTE]

Don't all free apps show up as being "billed" for $0.00 on your iTunes account? What are you seeing different here?

[quote name='walletandgromice'](2) One of the reviews mention that it has some religious message to sell -- and hell, the game is called G.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the part that I find pretty sketchy too. I don't need a game to preach to me, thanks.

Pretty sure "G" is for gravity and from what I understand most of the complaints were about some "Jesus Rocks" statements in the credits...hardly preaching. Though I haven't played it much, it does have nice art and the voice overs are not bad at all.

Other complaints I've read are from the "about us" section of their website...they are Christians but they claim their games are not meant to teach about their religion.

Whatever...straight up ambivalent about religion here...I just don't care. But, I'm not going to not play a game because of the beliefs of the creators. I would avoid however if the game was, in fact, preaching a message. I just don't think this is the case with "G".

/my 2 cents

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Whatever...straight up ambivalent about religion here...I just don't care. But, I'm not going to not play a game because of the beliefs of the creators. I would avoid however if the game was, in fact, preaching a message. I just don't think this is the case with "G". [/QUOTE]

Ah, ok, cool if it's not then. I don't really care what the programmers believe, as long as they're not trying to push it on me. I was just suspicious because of it winning some Christian gaming award (the earlier mentioned CGDC thing).

Didn't know I would get such a discussion on "G", I haven't tried it yet so I don't know about it.

On another topic, puzzlequest Chapters 1 & 2 are down to $5 from $8. I have been waiting on a price drop on this. I loved it on the ds. chapter 1 is at $2. Also a free lite version if you haven't heard of it. Match 3 fantasy rpg game. Many - 40+ hours of gameplay. Cheers!

How is bookworm on the iPhone? I played it a little back in the day on my dads PDA and it was fun. I just noticed it's on sale. Quite tempting.

[quote name='jojoschump2000']On another topic, puzzlequest Chapters 1 & 2 are down to $5 from $8. I have been waiting on a price drop on this. I loved it on the ds. chapter 1 is at $2. Also a free lite version if you haven't heard of it. Match 3 fantasy rpg game. Many - 40+ hours of gameplay. Cheers![/QUOTE]

I was just about to jump on this thinking it was the entire game, but apparently the third and final "chapter" still isn't out. I noticed there there is no individual chapter 2 app listed. Only the lite ver., chapter 1, and chapter 1 + 2. So, I would assume that once the third chapter comes out, you'll be able to buy all three together. I think I'll just hold out til then.

Having said that, $5 for 1+2 isn't bad.

Regarding cooperative play in Minigore:
[quote name='Kimmo (Mountain Sheep)']Joel: We are keeping an eye on Crystal and other social platforms, but with the new version OpenFeint is getting really good and it will be hard to beat it. My other dev device is a first gen iPod touch, too, so we are developing wi-fi first, then BT. Both will be supported in the co-op update. :) Thanks for the bug report, I'll check it out.[/quote]
That's the best thing I've heard all day.

[quote name='mkernan']Having said that, $5 for 1+2 isn't bad.[/QUOTE]

That is unless chapter 3 is only available in a single package with 1 and 2 as well, in which case you'll end up having to buy them again to get it . . .

[quote name='arcane93']That is unless chapter 3 is only available in a single package with 1 and 2 as well, in which case you'll end up having to buy them again to get it . . .[/QUOTE]

Right.... that's kinda the logic I'm operating on here. Might as well wait for chapter 3 to release and buy 'chapter 1 + 2 + 3' for whatever price it is.

I already have it on PSP, XBLA, and PSN (and used to have it on DS).... so I think I can wait. =)

I seem to remember when Chapter 2 was released, anyone who already had chapter one got Chapter 1 + 2 with the update for free.

I find myself playing Bookworm at least twice a day. I've been using it with a large cup of coffee to get my brain booted up early in the morning when I wake up.

It's very good. Never had any crashes, very fast & responsive. Now I just hope they port over the rest of the titles in the Bookworm series.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I find myself playing Bookworm at least twice a day. I've been using it with a large cup of coffee to get my brain booted up early in the morning when I wake up.

It's very good. Never had any crashes, very fast & responsive. Now I just hope they port over the rest of the titles in the Bookworm series.[/QUOTE]

Toss me onto the Bookworm train too—I resisted it for a while, but I bought it this morning and I'm totally loving it. For a buck, you can't go wrong, and I like it a lot more than WordFu because I like games that let me take my time. If they brought Bookworm Adventures over, I'd be in word-nerd heaven.

Bookworm is indeed awesome. Now that I have it I think it would have been worth the original price, but having paid 99 cents... all the better. Don't pass up on it for 99 cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back