iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with Fieldrunners too. Best looking visuals out of all the current TD games in the app store and to me its the most fun. If you want to compare, these are some other TD apps I've tried:

-Fieldrunners
-Tapdefense
-7 Cities
-Sentinel
-Creeps
-Geodefense

[quote name='chakan']Anyone have an opinion on the best tower defense game for the price? I'm leaning toward Fieldrunners.[/QUOTE]

I have fieldrunners and the creeps. The creeps is a lot easier than fieldrunners. I find myself playing creeps more simply because it is less involved and usually I don't feel like devoting all my attention to a game lol.

Thank you TheRock88. Based on your recommendation, I'm going for Fieldrunners.

Thank you also for your input, Soujiro_Seta, I'll look at the creeps if Fieldrunners gets too hard!

[quote name='danny8k']I do. I have my iPod touch jailbroken and using Picnic theme now. It' awesome ^^.[/quote]

I'm jailbroken on my iphone, ipod and my wife's iphone. I currently bounce my themes back and forth between Lea and Picnic

Is anyone else finding that the graphics are a little on the dark side in Resident Evil? So far it seems ok but if you haven't purchased it yet, I'd hold off until a few more reviews are in. The graphics are ok but not spectacular and the controls are not bad but not great imo. In general, it feels kind of average and doesn't appear to have any video cutscenes, as thus far I've just seen some black and white text and in-game rendered stuff. I'm just not blown away by it, like I was with Assassins Creed or some of the games made specifically for iphone.

[quote name='chakan']Thank you TheRock88. Based on your recommendation, I'm going for Fieldrunners.

Thank you also for your input, Soujiro_Seta, I'll look at the creeps if Fieldrunners gets too hard![/QUOTE]

Hey chakan, just to let you know but The Creeps just dropped to 0.99 a couple of hours ago.

Definitely get The Creeps! They just released an update yesterday and for $0.99 it's a steal!! Do not pass it up. If you want a real challenge get Geodefense! Start out with the creeps. Then once you beat it, move on to Geodefense. I find myself playing the creeps and geodefense more than fieldrunners.

[quote name='TheRock88']Hey chakan, just to let you know but The Creeps just dropped to 0.99 a couple of hours ago.[/QUOTE]
Lol, thanks, I guess I'll get both!

[quote name='velvet396']I didn't know you could have animated wallpapers. I'm jailbroken... help a brother out? :applause:[/QUOTE]

In cydia install "All Sources" source. This will give you a bunch of trusted sources. Then install Skrew Common. This is needed for vWallpaper to work. Then Install vWallpaper. That is the main program for the video wallpaper. You can also get video ring tones with this. I'm on a touch so don't use that. The last thing to install is Jessica Alba video wallpaper. Just type in alba or jessica alba in the cydia search and you should find it. You can search for all this stuff in cydia. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get all this downloaded and installed.

You should be able to see some examples of it on youtube.

[quote name='107proof']Definitely get The Creeps! They just released an update yesterday and for $0.99 it's a steal!! Do not pass it up. If you want a real challenge get Geodefense! Start out with the creeps. Then once you beat it, move on to Geodefense. I find myself playing the creeps and geodefense more than fieldrunners.[/QUOTE]
I second that, i bought it when it first came out for $3 and it's worth it, it's a steal at just a buck.
HUGE update, nice to see the developer showing a lot of support for two reasons;
1: The game is just a buck.
2: The game was already a hit.

[quote name='107proof']Definitely get The Creeps! They just released an update yesterday and for $0.99 it's a steal!! Do not pass it up. If you want a real challenge get Geodefense! Start out with the creeps. Then once you beat it, move on to Geodefense. I find myself playing the creeps and geodefense more than fieldrunners.[/QUOTE]

GeoDefense is wickedly tough and intense on the graphics to boot. It's by far the best tower defense game out there--though the AI on some of the towers needs even more tweaking as to where they need to aim.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']In cydia install "All Sources" source. This will give you a bunch of trusted sources. Then install Skrew Common. This is needed for vWallpaper to work. Then Install vWallpaper. That is the main program for the video wallpaper. You can also get video ring tones with this. I'm on a touch so don't use that. The last thing to install is Jessica Alba video wallpaper. Just type in alba or jessica alba in the cydia search and you should find it. You can search for all this stuff in cydia. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get all this downloaded and installed.

You should be able to see some examples of it on youtube.[/QUOTE]

Also, keep in mind that this will drain your battery faster

My curiosity has led me to ask, what's with all the love for TD games?

I'd much rather have intense adventure FPS's or RPGs than these. Sure, i "guess" theyre fun, but I don't see why they appeal so much.

[quote name='jcp42877']My curiosity has led me to ask, what's with all the love for TD games?

I'd much rather have intense adventure FPS's or RPGs than these. Sure, i "guess" theyre fun, but I don't see why they appeal so much.[/QUOTE]

I've gotta agree on the RPGs -- since finishing Vay, I've been waiting for something similar to follow it, but so far there's been nothing worthwhile. :cry:

Not as sure about the FPSs, though -- my experience so far is that the iPhone touch screen isn't the best controller for that.

I don't really get the TD thing myself. Fieldrunners was fun for a bit, but got old after a while.

^
Well the only TD game I have played was the free TapDefense, and once I beat it, that was all the TD fun I needed. No point in playing another 5 or 6 games with the same concept but just different guns and characters.

The only TD I would consider buying is one based on WWII or Vietnam or something. Not some made up space-galactic laser/alien stuff.

I would love to have a WWII TD game that had different levels that represented different major battles (Stalingrad, Battle of the Bulge, Normandy, O:Marketgarden, Okinawa, etc..) and had Americans/British vs Germans/Japanese

I dunno what it is with the TD games. I never played one until I played The Creeps! An from that moment on I was hooked. I tried 7 cites, tap defense, fiedrunners, zombie attack, etc. But none compared to the enjoyment I got out of the creeps. Now Geodefense is my next favorite. Dunno what it is but I enjoy them. If you only played tap defense and didn't give any others a try. Try out the creeps free version. You have nothing to lose.

I'm definitely a fan of The Creeps, TapDefense, and GeoDefense... but you should definitely check out Sentinel too.

It's got really impressive graphics, some nice gameplay tweaks (walls to defend, multiple converging paths), and right now it's only $.99.

I like base building, but there's just too much idling going on in tower defense games, especially for a portable game, which ideally would always keep you involved (as people tend to play portable games in an environment without any other distractions)

[quote name='jcp42877']My curiosity has led me to ask, what's with all the love for TD games?

I'd much rather have intense adventure FPS's or RPGs than these. Sure, i "guess" theyre fun, but I don't see why they appeal so much.[/QUOTE]

I think it is mostly because the iphone/touch is a great platform for TD games. As of right now, I haven't seen a really well executed FPS, and the RPGS are a bit lacking. Tho Underworlds is great and is a good example of what CAN be done with the platform.

Similarly there are a lot of time management (TM) games, as well as driving. Since the controls are well suited to this. Not unlike the PC were FPS originated as well as RTS. Control options tend to influence game design.

On another note I'll throw in a recommendation for a TD game with Sentinel: Mars Defense. Really nice graphics, solid TD gameplay and on sale atm for a buck. Can't really go wrong there. But at some point you may have too many TD games.

Production has started on my game. My art lead and I are officially done with the story and if you're a fan of Action RPGS and beautiful hand drawn graphics you'll be in luck :)
Oh and the story is "awesome" and I'm not saying that from my mouth I'm saying it from friends and family that I read the story to.

http://www.callusgames.com/

[quote name='Maynard']Production has started on my game. My art lead and I are officially done with the story and if you're a fan of Action RPGS and beautiful hand drawn graphics you'll be in luck :)
Oh and the story is "awesome" and I'm not saying that from my mouth I'm saying it from friends and family that I read the story to.

http://www.callusgames.com/[/QUOTE]

Consider me interested. I love action rpgs/hack n slashers. interesting story/setting is always a plus too.

Anybody have any tips on the final stage of The Creeps! - or a link to a forum with tips or youtube vids or anything? I've played it a number of times now and can't seem to beat it - playing on normal difficulty mode.

Ok, I'll admit it. Just bought The Creeps! about an hour ago since it was only $0.99 and it's extremely fun! Very unique TD game!

[quote name='bordjon']Anybody have any tips on the final stage of The Creeps! - or a link to a forum with tips or youtube vids or anything? I've played it a number of times now and can't seem to beat it - playing on normal difficulty mode.[/QUOTE]

The level is symmetrical - so think of it in two halves, a left side and a right side.

I start out with two fully upgraded lasers on the left side. I save money, and build a flashlight about halfway down the straightway closest to the center (left side). Then, fully upgrade the flashlight and take out as many shells and stars for extra money.

Then, where the square corners are, build glue guns in the middle of each and upgrade them one level (4X glue guns, one in each corner...2 left side and 2 right side).

Finally, build lasers and a flashlight on the right side symmetrical to your weapons on the left side. Build an oil container too.

DONT use the oil until wave 46, the crab attack. They are very fast and need to be slowed down.

I used this method to beat the level on HARD, so practice on easy. If you need some pics, let me know and I will upload them from my iPod.

Also, the door buster game is a lot of fun for anyone who hasn't tried it yet.

This game has ALOT of replay value and is a MUST BUY for $0.99.

Thanks a lot soccerstud. I'll give this a try hopefully sometime today. The Creeps! is a very polished game and tons of fun. At 99 cents it's a no-brainer.

[quote name='bordjon']Thanks a lot soccerstud. I'll give this a try hopefully sometime today. The Creeps! is a very polished game and tons of fun. At 99 cents it's a no-brainer.[/QUOTE]
I second, third, fourth and fith that statement. Get it before it goes back up to the normal price!!!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']iPod touch is freaking amazing. I love it to death.[/QUOTE]

thats what I thought about mine till I pcked up my iphone ;)

[quote name='Fire_Thief']iPod touch is freaking amazing. I love it to death.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, same here.
Most useful device in the house, haven't touched my Palm, Nintendo DS or the Xbox 360 in weeks.
Best $170 spent.

I still use my 360 very often, but the iphone is great. Mine's wonky with WiFi though and I get crappy cell coverage in the house, so that's not good. I need to take it in, I've heard that's a known issue.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Or it could be At&t... xD[/QUOTE]

Being "wonky with WiFi" is not an AT&T issue. Cell coverage is, definitely (please, please let the rumors of the iPhone being available on other service providers come true), but not wifi. Definitely take that iPhone for replacement.

Just wanted to throw my input in here since i base all my app decisions on this thread.

I've never played Peggle or seen anyone play it but I bought it anyways on the iphone the day after it came out. I definitly like it and think it was worth the 5 dollars. I suppose if your a peggle lover then its already done.

I also grabbed the Creeps at 1 dollar and it is another fine collection to my tower defense titles on my iphone. The funny thing about tower defense titles is that I never played them on the pc but now I love them on my iphone. The Creeps is more about being given a certain condition and making the best of it, not just giving you everything and you making your own paths. Great game and if you played Fieldrunners or geoDefense you'll love this.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']In cydia install "All Sources" source. This will give you a bunch of trusted sources. Then install Skrew Common. This is needed for vWallpaper to work. Then Install vWallpaper. That is the main program for the video wallpaper. You can also get video ring tones with this. I'm on a touch so don't use that. The last thing to install is Jessica Alba video wallpaper. Just type in alba or jessica alba in the cydia search and you should find it. You can search for all this stuff in cydia. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get all this downloaded and installed.

You should be able to see some examples of it on youtube.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjFc5mt8uRI

[quote name='crunchewy']Being "wonky with WiFi" is not an AT&T issue. Cell coverage is, definitely (please, please let the rumors of the iPhone being available on other service providers come true), but not wifi. Definitely take that iPhone for replacement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just haven't made it up there yet. Should I go to the AT&T store where my wife bought it, or to the Apple store? I might try to AT&T store first, I'm within my 30 days (although I don't want to return it, I want to exchange it for a working one), and it's closer.
I can be sitting literally three feet from my wireless router--which works fine for my Wii, my work laptop, my wife's laptop, and her iphone--and have no wifi. It keeps saying "not connected" no matter what I do.
Cell coverage has always been a little iffy in certain places in my house, regardless of what phone--but I have what I think is a good plan, and coverage elsewhere is quite good, so we haven't jumped.

I found Grand Canyon Pinball yesterday for free, it's pretty cool implementation of pinball, although it's not very complex. I'll have to look for more pinball games.

Also, in order to more easily find cheap/free games, download the free apps PandorasBox and AppMiner. They're not hitting 100%, but they are good ways to check on new titles or titles that have dropped in price to less or free.

Has anyone here bought Assassin's Creed? I've been hearing great things, which completely surprise me. This is just a port of the DS version, with better graphics and some voice acting. How much better could it really be? -_-;

[quote name='gunstar808']Underworlds 2.99->.99. If you don't have this yet, it is highly recommended!![/QUOTE]
Nice, buying it now.

[quote name='zohar']Has anyone here bought Assassin's Creed? I've been hearing great things, which completely surprise me. This is just a port of the DS version, with better graphics and some voice acting. How much better could it really be? -_-;[/QUOTE]

its pretty damn good

[quote name='dcswirl']For those on the fence, Peggle is great.[/QUOTE]

I'm on the fence, but that's because I want to know if it's the same version as what I've been play on my 360 or not. I don't want to buy the same game twice.

[quote name='cycophuk']I'm on the fence, but that's because I want to know if it's the same version as what I've been play on my 360 or not. I don't want to buy the same game twice.[/QUOTE]

It's exactly the same as the Xbox 360 version, but for half the price.

Also, you can SAVE REPLAYS!

However, no online play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back