iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='projectionist']It's exactly the same as the Xbox 360 version, but for half the price.

Also, you can SAVE REPLAYS!

However, no online play.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'll skip it. 5 bucks can buy me a game I haven't played yet.

I'm curious, how many paid apps do you guys all have, and how much would you estimate you've paid for them in total?

I have six and I've probably spent about $20.

[quote name='metaly']I'm curious, how many paid apps do you guys all have, and how much would you estimate you've paid for them in total?

I have six and I've probably spent about $20.[/QUOTE]

ComicZeal and Katamari. I spent $10

[quote name='slickkill77']I don't know if it's been mentioned but Epic Pet Wars is a fun little game and its free. Think a ghetto version of pokemon[/QUOTE]
I agree! EPW links to your Facebook account too, so you can play pets from FB on your iPhone.

My EPW Friend Code: gselrs

I've spent like 70 bucks. :O I've got more fun out of those games than I have gotten out of many full priced games I've purchased, so it isn't so bad.

[quote name='metaly']I'm curious, how many paid apps do you guys all have, and how much would you estimate you've paid for them in total?

10 for about $23

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4594/imagev.jpg

imagev.jpg

I'm hesitant to check how much I've spent. For one thing if I knew how much and my wife asked me how much, I'd then probably tell her. Better not to know. :)

I bought Underworlds for 99 cents. It seems like it could be fun, but have had a bad initial experience - by save file doesn't seem to work. Everytime I try to load from my autosave file it crashes. Even rebouting my 1st ten iPod touch didn't help. :( I started again, but haven't tried to load from the new save file yet. Anyone else have this issue?

I have 405 Apps and have spent at least $150 on them.
I second what the other user said...siberian strike is $.99, great game.

[quote name='Marat']siberian strike is $.99, great game.[/QUOTE]

God damn you and god damn my obsession with these 1942 kind of games. Now I have to get that. Thanks a lot. :bomb:

24 Special Ops is down to $2.99 from $4.99. If you're a fan of the show, it worth the cash. Nice control scheme, reminds me of Diablo but with very little loot.

I'm surprised there's not much talk about NFS underground since it's gotten such great reviews... maybe b/c it's still 10 bucks?

[quote name='nikkai']I'm surprised there's not much talk about NFS underground since it's gotten such great reviews... maybe b/c it's still 10 bucks?[/QUOTE]It was really enjoyable. Maybe 30 races all together, but starting in the second set, they get pretty tough. I'd say it lasted me 3-4 hours for the story mode. It'd probably be another 2-3 to unlock the rest of the cars. There were several different gameplay modes that kept things fresh (race, lap KO, chasedown, cop takedown, hot car, drift).

The visuals are definitely stunning, though on my 1G iPod touch, there was solid framerate with the occasional split second pause throughout the races - which I suppose is bad, but never actually bothered me. Controls work very well, but if they could have been customizable, they would have been much better.

Audio gets tiring. There are probably only 3 or 4 songs in the game, and they're pretty screechy. Though the sound effects (especially police sirens) are really good.

I'm glad I played the game. It's not a great value at $9.99, but it was definitely fun.

Price drop on Assassin's Creed to $5.99!!!

Also, The Quest has a new expansion called Islands of Ice & Fire for $3.99, it can also be played as a standalone game

[quote name='jcp42877']Price drop on Assassin's Creed to $5.99!!![/QUOTE]

Nice! Thx! Adult Swim's Amateur Surgeon in on sale for $2.99 (from $4.99). There's a lite version which has been pretty fun.

[quote name='helava']Hey, all!

My company's first game, Taxiball, just went live on the App Store today. It's at an introductory price of $1.99 for a limited time. Check out a video, and read a little about the game here:

http://www.selfawaregames.com/blog/?p=22

A link to the game's iTunes page is: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316087672&mt=8

(thanks to CheapyD for letting me post this)[/QUOTE]

Trying out the lite version now you totally should have mentioned that you had one. I'll post my opinion and any feedback.

The Terminator iDracula clone is out ($0.99). My quick review from Touch Arcade:

SAVE YOUR MONEY THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE!!!

Just downloaded in anticipation of some classic Terminator killing with iDracula similarities. This is a poor man's iDracula. The controls are only half there; the game automatically auto targets for you, making it painfully easy. If you turn auto target off, the game is almost as easy.

Overall, if the game adapted the iDracula control scheme of left stick movement, right stick aim and shoot, it'd be pretty fun. Instead, the game has you move with the left and just fire with the right, with no real way to control the aim.

Rush job - if proper updates are made to the controls, it may be fun. Otherwise, SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Fans of the show 24:
24 Countdown is free atm. It's a timer that lets you use your own photos for use in the iconic-style of 24's cutscenes and opening.
If you like the show, it's pretty nice esp. for free.

Just found Marble Blast Mobile today. Offered at $4.99 as an introductory price. It's quite good -- my kid loves these games so I picked it up as a time waster for when I need a distract-a-kid app.

[quote name='helava']Ha! That is a good point. The funny thing is, the *reason* I didn't post the link to that was that it wasn't on sale! *facepalm*!

Here's the link to the free version: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=316094782&mt=8

Thanks![/QUOTE]

TaxiBall seems pretty fun (I got the lite version). I didn't really get it until I got through the tutorial and then onto the first real level. Then it clicks. Clever idea, I must say. I'm not sure when I'll buy the full version, but probably at some point.

Wow, I'm really impressed by the polish you guys put into taxiball. It really is a superb game. Well executed for sure.

My only concern would be replayability, but as much effort went into the game I'd be surprised if the full version's level designs didn't solve that later in the game.

[quote name='cbotwell']Wow, I'm really impressed by the polish you guys put into taxiball. It really is a superb game. Well executed for sure.

My only concern would be replayability, but as much effort went into the game I'd be surprised if the full version's level designs didn't solve that later in the game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The later levels are definitely more complex, and more replayable. There's diversity in the environments, as well - a later level has a LOT more hazards, one is really dense, with a lot of pathways from one place to another, and still another has 'gates' you need to open to get to the outer 'layers' of the level where the higher-scoring fares are.

I mean, you'll have to take what I say with a grain of salt, of course, but I've played these levels over, and over, and over again - probably a hundred hours or more - and I'm still beating my old scores and having a good time. If you can squeeze out a tenth of that, ten hours of fun for $2 ain't bad. ;)

seppo

[quote name='nodoubt']My latest release, ZombieTown came out last week.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=315705734&mt=8

Yes, it's inspired by Zombieville.. There's a major update coming up that will improve gameplay. Lite version will come out at that time. There's a thread over at toucharcade if you want to read up on it.
[/QUOTE]
I was gonna say it reminded me of Dishwasher, then I read that the guy that made Dishwasher did the artwork for your game. :razz:

[quote name='Master Shake']Car Jack Streets is on sale for only a dollar this weekend.[/QUOTE]

aww you beat me to it :(

Purchased.

I was waiting...it seems most independent games hit the $0.99 mark at some time or another.

I have been burned on too many day one purchases dropping nearly 80% in 2-3 weeks. Now I wait!

I finished up that Siberian Strike game. It's a pretty great shmup, my only problem with it is it can get hard to see the oncoming bullets because of the iphones screen size. It was definitely worth a buck though.

I also picked up CJS today. It's downloading right now, I'm hoping it's worth it.

Dungeon Defense is on sale for 99 cents. Fun little tower defense game with a unique gameplay style. Rather than building towers your placing various types of troops to defend with. I didn't play the previous version (only one map at the time) but the current version has added 2 more maps and upped the difficulty on the original map. The only thing really missing is online leaderboards and even fieldrunners is missing that. Its one of the reasons I love Zombie Attack! so much is the daily leaderboard :D

Man I am way too addicted to buying apps :cry:.

Just grabbed: Car Jack Streets, Dungeon Defense, Siberian Strike, and Ignite at $1 each.

WTB [Self control!] PST

-

I just want to say i hate this thread! It is making me buy more and more games. At least i only buy games that are .99 cents. I hate you thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back