iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']I can't imagine that they are going to change the limits. Previously you could install on up to 5 iPhones or iPod touches, wasn't it? I guess we'll find out.[/QUOTE]

i never thought about this....I have my 2 iphones and ipod touch synced with my itunes....

[quote name='Malik112099']i never thought about this....I have my 2 iphones and ipod touch synced with my itunes....[/QUOTE]

This might be a stupid question but why do you have two iphones?

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Case-Study-in-Creating-Videogame-Audio-Taxiball/

One of the things people have really liked in Taxiball was the all-vocal beatbox audio. Our friends at Instructables were running a contest for an Instructable about something audio-related, so I wrote up a little bit on the evolution of Taxiball's audio. It's got old screenshots of the game in development, as well as a bunch of clips of older versions of the audio (that were in many cases, terrible)!

Wacky.
seppo

I'm thinking about jumping on a 3gs, but like another poster in this thread, $90/mo is so expensive.
151l1344.jpg

[quote name='manthing']It's in the 3.0 beta firmware. We won't know until the 17th for sure. ;)[/QUOTE]

You won't be able to redownload an app over the iphone, but since each purchase is linked to your itunes account, you can just sync your iphones and ipod to itunes and get the app again, assuming all of them are using the same account.

[quote name='seanr1221']Can anyone give me a rundown on the DRM on these apps?

I have them all on my current iPhone, but how many devices can they be copied to?[/QUOTE]Right now, the DRM is that you can sync five devices with the same account. I don't imagine that will change with 3.0. What people are referring to about limiting app redownloads is that there *may* be a charge in the future to redownload an app from the App Store on the iPhone, though it will remain free to redownload using iTunes.

I'm a little late to the Peggle party but I couldn't pass it up for a dollar. Now my iPod is recharging after having almost all the battery sucked out of it. :lol: Between this and Flight Control, I don't have any excuse to be bored again.

The new Flight Control airfields are great, by the way. I like how the tropical one starts out easy but the difficulty jumps up quickly because of those opposite-facing airstrips. Also the aircraft carrier is really cool. It took me a few plays before I even realized it rotates around. Those damn fighter jets don't let me play long enough to notice most times. :bomb:

Ok so if I'm understanding correctly, 5 computers can be linked to the same account. However, you can link an unlimited number of iPods to that account.

I'm at 3 now (my desktop and 2 old laptops) but there's a de-authorize all option. My plan is once I go to a 6th device, to just de-authorize all the old computers at once and reauthorize whichever one I have at the time. You can only use this option once a year, but it shouldn't matter anyway.

I kind of want more of a "game" for the iPhone, especially since I've been spending more time in my car between clients.

Terminator (down to 4.99 now, and I really liked the demo), Assassin's Creed or Hero of Sparta (Also liked the demo)?

[quote name='seanr1221']I kind of want more of a "game" for the iPhone, especially since I've been spending more time in my car between clients.

Terminator (down to 4.99 now, and I really liked the demo), Assassin's Creed or Hero of Sparta (Also liked the demo)?[/QUOTE]

to play at stoplights?

From the Blockbuster thread:

[quote name='hukt']I have not seen this so I thought I might post it in case it helps anyone who has a gamecrazy near by. The have releases an iphone app that give trade in values.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/12/game-crazy-releases-useful-retail-app-for-iphone/[/QUOTE]

Not a game, but a potentially useful app. Sorry if it has already been mentioned - I don't have an iPhone or iPod, so I don't read this thread much. I plan to get an iPhone as soon as I can get out of contract with Sprint, though, and have even made my first app purchase for it (Peggle for 99 cents).

[quote name='guessed']From the Blockbuster thread:

Not a game, but a potentially useful app. Sorry if it has already been mentioned - I don't have an iPhone or iPod, so I don't read this thread much. I plan to get an iPhone as soon as I can get out of contract with Sprint, though, and have even made my first app purchase for it (Peggle for 99 cents).[/QUOTE]

That article didn't have a link as far as I could tell. Here's a link to it on the appstore:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317392803&mt=8

Also here's a link to it on appshopper.com:

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/game-crazy

That's perhaps a useful link since it doesn't launch itunes and you can see the description, screenshots, etc.

[quote name='seanr1221']I kind of want more of a "game" for the iPhone, especially since I've been spending more time in my car between clients.

Terminator (down to 4.99 now, and I really liked the demo), Assassin's Creed or Hero of Sparta (Also liked the demo)?[/QUOTE]

I'd avoid Terminator. IMO it was way too short (I completed it in just over an hour) and way too easy even on extreme difficulty. Can't really comment much on the other games other than to say I really liked the demo for Hero of Sparta also but I hear Assassin's Creed is pretty long considering its a DS game that ended up with smoother graphics on the iphone version.

Zenonia though is great if you like Zelda style rpg's. Pretty beefy play time I hear too (I'm only just past the 1st dungeon).

Rolando (iPhone/iPod touch compatable) is the best iPhone game ever made. I would even argue that it is the best cell phone game ever made. It is phenomenal.

IGN even gave it a 9.5 stating it that "This is simply the best game you can buy for the iPhone." (http://wireless.ign.com/articles/939/939902p1.html)

With that said, I have available some Rolando downloadable content codes (which is at the current value of 5.99) for trade. Basically, I will also swap my Rolando redemption game code for something else. I will not be specific on what the something is, so please PM me and we can work something out.

A few suggestions that would be nice are: Wii Speak Channel, Xbox Live Arcade Games, Xbox Live Downloadable Content (DLC), Xbox Live... etc. Of course, these are just suggestions, and you can PM me any offer.

I don't get the Gamecrazy app...unless I'm missing something, I can only see new releases and coming soon games, kind of defeating the TiV thing.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Tomorrow, at least for iPhone users. For 2.0 I think Touch users had to wait IIRC. The iPhone 3G S comes out Friday.[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow for everyone. Touch users just have pay $9.95. It will be on the main page of iTunes and will probably take forever to download as everyone and their mother will be downloading it lol

[quote name='sail0rm00n']is anyone else having issues going from page 56 to 57? When I click "next page" or "57" it brings me back to the top of page 56.[/QUOTE]

Sucks for you dude, page 57 has some guy posting codes for free games, best get over there quick.

Just kidding its some bug with the pages, there is no page 57.

EDIT - Except now I'm on page 57, very self prophetic.

Yep it'll take forever I'm sure. I may have to head up to my university, DL speeds are like 45,000 :p but even then it still may be slow :\

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 and Need for Speed Undercover have both seen a temporary price drop from $9.99 to $6.99. Having played both, I'd suggest TW10 at $6.99 if you want a more realistic golf game than, say, Let's Golf. Need for Speed Undercover is definitely a good pick up at $6.99 if you want maybe 4 our 5 hours of great looking, moderately difficult racing.

[quote name='Codemaster']1112 is on sale for $1.99. Link[/QUOTE]

1112 is a decent game for $2 but it still has a lot of problems that they never fixed. Some of the dialog gets cut off so you cannot read the last line or two and there are still a lot of rather poor English translations. I reported both of these problems to the Devs after their last update and they just kind of moved on to their next game never bothering to fix either. They were also supposed to have had Episode 2 done a long time ago but that just seems to have been put on hold as well.

Does anybody know if I can download the update directly to my iPod touch or will I need to hook it up to a computer? And also, does anyone see the need for me to pay $10.00 for it? And thanks for posting about Lets Golf, just got it. :)

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']CubeCheater - FREE[/QUOTE]

I can't remember the last time I actually even saw a Rubik's cube in person, but I just watched a youtube video of that app, and it is pretty cool. You input the colors in each square on each side, and it shows you what moves to do to solve it. That, in itself, is pretty neat, but the coolest part is, when you are entering the current cube state, you can take a picture of each side, and it will fill in the colors based on the picture(s).

I might buy Asphalt for 99 cents - I'd rather do that then pay full price for Asphalt 5. That is, if the game is even any fun. I know there was some update that everyone complained about, with regard to how it affected the controls. Did it kill the game, or was it just people who were use to the original controls that were bothered by it? Does Asphalt 4 have an option for touch control, sort of like that motocross game 2XL, or whatever it is called - I tried the demo of 2XL and really liked the virtual analog stick option. Worked great. It's not on sale, though, so I can wait on it.

[quote name='Staticbill']Does anybody know if I can download the update directly to my iPod touch or will I need to hook it up to a computer? And also, does anyone see the need for me to pay $10.00 for it? And thanks for posting about Lets Golf, just got it. :)[/QUOTE]

You have to do the update via computer. You can't update firmware any other way.

The update definitely looks like it will be worth it. Heck, just the copy and paste will be worth it. On a side note, I'm not a complainer about the paid updates - the price is reasonable and the updates have always been substantial. iPhone users are just paying for the updates via their monthly fees and in effect probably paying a hell of a lot more for them - they aren't getting anything for free either.

I'm grabbing Let's Golf for a buck.

As far as the OS update... I don't think there's enough there for me to spend $10, but once apps/games start really using the features I'm sure I'll grab it.

Let's golf was quite a nice recommendation. I love that one. Trying not to sound greedy, but anyone have an extra Rolando code? Due to personal convictions, I refuse to set foot inside a best buy.

[quote name='dallow']I have a couple extra Rolando codes, but wubb and myke have first dibs. In need?[/QUOTE]

I'd love one if you have any extra codes!

It's fun AND free. What other kind of incentive do you need? ;)

I'll probably check back again next week closer to the expiration date if people still need Rolando codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back