iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the heads up. I've heard good things. I'll be checking it out as soon as the price updates.

EDIT: been playing for the last hour or so. I can easily recommend this. Arcade-y home run hitting contest, complete with online faceoffs and plenty of achievements and unlockables.
Tilt controls felt a little wonky, I think it re-calibrates after every hit or something like that.
Not terribly difficult to adjust to however.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Knights On Rush has just got an update making the already superb game even better.[/QUOTE]

If you have the previous version, how do you upgrade to the latest version? Do you have to pay for the app again? Is this how it works with all apps?

[quote name='Mysterio']If you have the previous version, how do you upgrade to the latest version? Do you have to pay for the app again? Is this how it works with all apps?[/QUOTE]

Just visit the app store and go to updates and download the updates. And of course it's free. It's just like any other bit of software.

[quote name='jojoschump2000']Baseball Slugger is 99 cents for the MLB all star game. Heard it is just for today! Cheers![/QUOTE]

Really fun game, even has online play vs other players. At .99 this is a steal. You can gain $ and buy other items for your batter. Thanks for the heads up on this.

[quote name='Sacsquash']Coast Guard is now FREE in the app store, haven't played it yet but it had some buzz on other sites.[/QUOTE]

I just got it. It is surprisingly awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Just visit the app store and go to updates and download the updates. And of course it's free. It's just like any other bit of software.[/QUOTE]

Great, thanks! I missed the update link at the bottom of iTunes.

[quote name='ZForce']Does BB Slugger have any kind of single player mode?[/QUOTE]
Yes there's arcade, classic and training. Then there's matchup which is the online.

Pretty fun, new railroad-based game just came out called Railroad Madness. Along the lines of Flight Control, you have to guide the cargo and commuter trains to their destinations while making sure they don't crash. It has a few issues (I wish you can rotate the arrows in either direction, or better yet, be able to swipe the arrows to the direction you want), but it's a pretty fun and hectic little game with online leaderboards.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=321412247&mt=8

Hopefully they'll throw some updates to add more levels and features, but as it is, it's worth the .99.

[quote name='roland13x']Pretty fun, new railroad-based game just came out called Railroad Madness. Along the lines of Flight Control...[/QUOTE]

I have to say that I really dislike how app store games tend to be bandwagon jumpers. I suppose that's inevitable with such an open development environment, though. In any case I'm going to stick with the original, except when the clones are free.

Baseball Sluggers is definitely worth 99 cents. I played for too long last night online. Simple, but really fun game. Great online. Too bad there aren't many (any?) games with chat rooms. I actually don't want voice chat, but I'd like to be able to chat textually with fellow players before/after games.

[quote name='IGN Wireless']July 15, 2009 - Revelation of Resident Evil 4 on the Japanese App Store served as confirmation that a go-go edition of the acclaimed bestseller was en route to the iPhone. The game was yanked after just two hours, though, signaling that Capcom was not exactly ready for the adventures of Leon Kennedy to go live.

Capcom, however, has now decided on some dates for RE4 on the iPhone. The game will launch in Japan at the end of July. Other territories, such as America and Europe, will follow with a slight delay. So, that's not too long to wait before you can open fire on the crazed members of the Los Illuminados cult.[/quote]Color me intrigued.

[quote name='crunchewy']I have to say that I really dislike how app store games tend to be bandwagon jumpers. I suppose that's inevitable with such an open development environment, though. In any case I'm going to stick with the original, except when the clones are free.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, and I probably didn't phrase it in the right way. This Railroad Madness game isn't a Flight Control ripoff. I was just trying to say how it has a very simple gameplay concept that gets more and more challenging the longer you last. Controls, style and overall feel of this game are completely different than FC. It's just the ideology of the gameplay that it shares in common, which I don't think is a bad thing.

Lite versions of mega man 2 and resident evil degeneration are now available for ur enjoyment. Hopefully they will lower the price on re:d when re4 releases.

[quote name='BlueScrote']viper, iWrath, and Pyro Pro Fireworks are currently free.

I really need to stop downloading free apps.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't hurt to download them when they are free. Try them out, you like them, keep them. You don't, delete them. Seems like a good enough plan to me.

[quote name='crunchewy']Baseball Sluggers is definitely worth 99 cents. I played for too long last night online. Simple, but really fun game. Great online. Too bad there aren't many (any?) games with chat rooms. I actually don't want voice chat, but I'd like to be able to chat textually with fellow players before/after games.[/QUOTE]
off the top of my head I know pocket god has chat rooms. I believe it's part of Feint integration, so I'd imagine that there's probably quite a few games that include text chatrooms

to stay on topic Puzzlings is a new release match-3 with an intro sale price of $2.99
I went ahead and bought it because it looked different and I'm a sucker for collectibles, I played through the first area and it's an interesting take, with two swapping methods: select a line of gems (2-across the screen in length) and it reverses them) or select a square box of gems and it will rotate and tap to stop.
The general idea being to clear gems until special blocks that will form an object fall, then you need to create those to unlock items for your "Puzzling" which is essentially a little avatar that sits on screen (think Bubble Bobble).

No regrets here, but I'd recommend caution unless you are really into match-3's and need another somewhat fresh look at the genre. From reviews, it seems it's lacking an "endless" style mode, which (for me at least) may end up being a dealbreaker in the long run and high scores and stats are completely separated from actual gameplay which puts a damper on things like replaying for a higher score.

My pleasure. Anyone that have Defender Chronicles have any advice on beating the third level? I get all my towers full of guys and up to level 4 or 5, but I wind up getting swamped by those little jelly blobs that split into smaller jelly blobs.

Yes, u need to upgrade archers into rangers, they have a "Rain of Arrows" AoE attack. It took me a hour to figure it out

Either way, awesome buy for 99cents. Got it for 2.99 and was worth it then!

[quote name='dacool561']Either way, awesome buy for 99cents. Got it for 2.99 and was worth it then![/QUOTE]
+1 to this.
Developer support for future updates looks promising as well.

[quote name='mykevermin']Just picked up both; thanks![/QUOTE]
What's your opinion on Zenonia? I want to, but still on the fence.

Glyder got a nice update to 1.2 today!

Apparently, the update adds a whole new set of items (crystal rings, thermals, boost crystals) to find after having collected the original 200 (or so) items. This excites me quite a bit as I just realized how enjoyable Glyder was very recently after having had it on my iPod since it launched.

At $1.99 (50% off), this is a definite buy. Controls are great, visuals are stunning, gameplay is simple yet challenging and rewarding. The achievements and trips make this game worth picking up over and over again.

Don't pass this one up, guys. Such a masterpiece... xD

Price is Right is 99 cents this weekend. Anybody have any experience with this one? I read a good review on it (on IGN IIRC) but there's a lot of negative user reviews that say the game has issues with loading and crashing

[quote name='ZForce']Price is Right is 99 cents this weekend. Anybody have any experience with this one? I read a good review on it (on IGN IIRC) but there's a lot of negative user reviews that say the game has issues with loading and crashing[/QUOTE]No problem with loading/crashing on this end. I paid $4.99 for this app ages ago. It really is a pretty decent game. It uses real video/audio clips from the TV show to introduce items and prizes - so that's pretty cool. It's not really set up like a Price-is-Right show, as in, even if you don't win the showcase showdown, you still get to play a game. The idea is to play games until you lose 3 times - which could end up taking multiple "shows."

There's also an nice inclusion of local multiplayer and some achivements to keep you coming back.

For a dollar, if you're a fan of the show, definitely pick it up. If you're not, I'd suppose you want to pass.

Also, for what it's worth, I've played the PIR DVD game - and that's complete shit compared to the iPhone game!

Just seen on Twitter
NimbleBit's most popular #iPhone game Scoops will be FREE tomorrow on #NationalIceCreamDay

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Just seen on Twitter
NimbleBit's most popular #iPhone game Scoops will be FREE tomorrow on #NationalIceCreamDay[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I was able to get SkyBurger when it was free, as well. Glad to see stuff like this happen.

I can firmly vouch that the Price is Right is more than worth the 99 cent sale price. Real video from the show, a decent announcer, and the fact that I smoked the others in Contestant's Row (and only sent the hiker up 10 spaces in Cliffhanger) AND got $1.00 on my first spin of the wheel really got me excited about the game.
It's a worthy game for anyone who grew up or still watches the show.

Best part: no Bob Barker preaching about spaying or neutering. Man, that guy really never let up on it.

[quote name='Watchman']Best part: no Bob Barker preaching about spaying or neutering. Man, that guy really never let up on it.[/QUOTE]

I'll go easy on ya, because I know you're kind of joking, but go to your local animal shelter. Take a good look. And know that most of those animals will be dead within a week (if Schwarzenegger has his way in California, they'll have 3 days -- budget cuts). It doesn't have to be this way, and if people were responsible about spaying and neutering their pets, it wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back