iPhone and iPod Touch Games on Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

App Review & Price Drop Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, theres is usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy alot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a pernament feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blue ocarina']for anyone who doesn't read toucharcade regularly MEVO & The Grooveriders is free for 24 hours[/QUOTE]Oh yeah, thanks for that! I had considered buying the game at a $1 before, but then passed since my iPod touch 1G requires headphones for sound. But as a free game, I'll nab it immediately and hold on to it until I get a new iPod touch in September!

[quote name='fazfznz']Hey guys, sorry to do this on here, but i'm in a bit of trouble..

I got 1 Music Trivia Promo Code and 1 Numba Promo Code from the developers on one of the iphone forums. Apparently ebay says i owe them $3.50 , and i just don't want to get sued over that amount. I haven't used ebay for 6 months and i just want to pay this off and move on with my life and continue forgetting about ebay. So yea $3.50 would be nice, pm me guys .. Thank you! :)[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Both of those together are less than $3. No one is going to pay you for something you got free much less more than it is worth. GTFO.

In addition to metal gear being on sale, cnet also listed these games as being good and on sale...

Fist of Fury Boxing 99 cents down from $5
Galaga Remix $3 down from $6
moto x mayhem 99 cents
nfl 2010 $5 down from 8

[quote name='Malik112099']Seriously? Both of those together are less than $3. No one is going to pay you for something you got free much less more than it is worth. GTFO.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

$2.99 doom resurrection info just released at Quakecon (viewing a live blog.) Wolf 3d is 99 cents as well. (Sale ends Sunday, I don't believe that part was mentioned above.)

Wow the two games I've been waiting forever for a price drop for (MGS Touch and Doom Resurrection) both drop to 2.99 on the same day :)

so far these are some recent drops
duke nukem $2.99
metal gear solid $2.99
doom resurrection $2.99

I'm still trying to figure out which one to get >

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']So far, I have limited myself in getting games which are 99 cents only. If civ rev's price drops, I might have to break that.[/QUOTE]

I had been trying to do that too... but that all just went to hell. I bought Civ Rev on release and then just bought Doom Resurrection and Metal Gear Solid Touch. Oh well, three top-quality games for $11 ain't too bad.

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']So far, I have limited myself in getting games which are 99 cents only. If civ rev's price drops, I might have to break that.[/QUOTE]

I said the same thing earlier but I read a few less than favorable reviews of civ rev.

Has anyone had experience with a game called "The Kings?" It looks like a fun ROTK style strategy game, it's on sale for 99 cents, but the reviews are mixed. Normally for 99 cents, I'd just take a shot at it, but I'm so loaded with apps right now, I don't necessarily need another one :)

Might've already been stated...but the Wolfenstein RPG has been out a few days...

$4.99...add Wolfenstein with better graphics, turn-based fighting, and RPG fun

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']man... I dont know if Doom or MGS4 is more worth it... I'm more pulled towards MGS4 since I dont care alot about the Doom series...[/QUOTE]
In a couple of parts Doom: Res actually manages to be a little scary.
I would recommend it for your on rails shooter fun, but only at its current $3 price.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']In a couple of parts Doom: Res actually manages to be a little scary.
I would recommend it for your on rails shooter fun, but only at its current $3 price.[/QUOTE]
How are the controls? I read somewhere that you can't control the movement or something

[quote name='Jesse757x']How are the controls? I read somewhere that you can't control the movement or something[/QUOTE]

Correct, it's a rail shooter. Like in the arcade, or like the Resident Evil games on the Wii. You use tilt controls to aim... which is kind of annoying. But it's alright.

Hell i think i might just get all three
duke nukem
metal gear solid
doom resurrection

Edit: I decided to only download duke nukem and doom resurrection and i got to play a little bit of both games. I played duke nukem and the controls were a little wonky and i also played doom resurrection, which i really enjoyed.

Decided to harvest Farm Frenzy after trying the lite. Enjoying it so far, although it can be maddening at times.

Also impulse bought the two XenoStorm turn based strategy games that went on sale:
The Kings and War Generation
Have yet to try either, but I'll report back when I do.

EDIT:
Not thorough by any means, but I can say for certain that The Kings is definitely a fine example of lost in translation, text is difficult to decipher (and words can even get split across lines) and as such I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out as I'm fairly tired at the moment, but it appears to be both an interesting and complex game and even from what little I've seen I would have no trouble recommending it for $1 if I knew for certain a text revamp update was in the works or coming. As it stands, without patience and a want for a turn based strategy game that includes minor resource management and diplomacy this game has little to offer.
War Generation on the other hand is a pretty standard turn based strategy game in the vein of Advance Wars and similar offerings on the app store. It's not as deep in terms of gameplay as The Kings and consequently there's less text directing you how to play the game and although there are still clearly issues with proper grammar, they're not as glaring, especially if you generally understand how the genre works. I only tried the free play mode however and if the other mode is a campaign type mode there's definitely a chance for more rampant translation issues that would detract from the experience. The unit selection is probably the most disappointing feature of this one, there's plenty of different units, but unless I'm missing something the units can only attack by close combat. I'd only recommend this to people who already have Mecho Wars and UniWar and are looking for a new, but similar, experience and I imagine it's a very small set of people who have worn out both the aforementioned games.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Star Defense is .99 which is a huge steal.

I'd get it but I'm tired of tower defense games.[/QUOTE]
Is that a sale or a permanent drop?

Convertbot is free for a limited time. It's a pretty good unit conversion app. I like the fact that it's customizable. For example, when wanting to convert currencies, I am able to choose from 136 types of currencies and enable which ones I would like to be available in the main menu. This way, I wouldn't have to scroll through all the 136 different types of currencies.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Wolfenstien 3D .99
Doom Ressurection 2.99

Through Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Wolfenstein is well worth 99c, it's better than the XBLA version (looks smoother).

Tempted by Doom Ressurection, not sure though.

[quote name='pbaz11']Dropship is currently free. Don't know for how long but it looks pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Weird. It shows up as free in the search results page, but then it says $1.99 on the actual application page, both in the app store on the phone and in iTunes. While I'd certainly give it a try for free, it doesn't look like anything I want to commit money to, so it's not worth the risk that they might bill me for it. Oh well.

[quote name='arcane93']Weird. It shows up as free in the search results page, but then it says $1.99 on the actual application page, both in the app store on the phone and in iTunes. While I'd certainly give it a try for free, it doesn't look like anything I want to commit money to, so it's not worth the risk that they might bill me for it. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I saw the same thing (free on search page, $1.99 on app page), and just tried clicking "Get App" from the search results page. It started downloading immediately like any normal free app (i.e. no pop-up confirmation charge).

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Tower Madness is free...today only, I think. Seems like a fun 3d tower defense game. keep the aliens from abducting sheep.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Just picked it up!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']dropship and saucelift free today as well.[/QUOTE]
Thanks ReRo, picked up Dropshit, but passed on saucerlift.

Maybe if they would remake it as Chopper Command instead.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back