iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wybo_a']I have a copy of NBA Live 10 for the iPhone or iPod touch if anyone is interested. Looking for any 360 codes.[/QUOTE]

Don't think you can resell apps since they are authorized under your account

Appventcalendar.com today has Elf for free:

http://appventcalendar.com/elf/

However, when I tried to get it an hour or so ago I got the dreaded it's being modified message. Will try again later. Payload is also still available as the featured game and it is available for download now.

I really wish that port of Adventure had a virtual d-pad option. The tilt controls aren't too great. I'm not sure if a d-pad would be better, but I'd like to try it.

EA is running Auditorium again for .99. I picked this up the last time around and I rather enjoy it. Interesting music game/puzzle app.

[quote name='Dimsdale']EA is running Auditorium again for .99. I picked this up the last time around and I rather enjoy it. Interesting music game/puzzle app.[/QUOTE]

I second this. For $.99, it's definitely an interesting puzzle game with a bit of a musical bent.

[quote name='doodle777_98']360 Live app is finally free.

I heard microsoft asked them to remove it unless it was given out for free.[/QUOTE]

My problem with this is they still have access to your hotmail/msn/live ID. NO THANKS!!!! Maybe if my TechNet sub wasn't tied to that account I would try it but I don't see why some of you are so trusting, especially with your login info...

Don't you remember the points/cc fiasco from a few years back?

BoXiKoN is also free "for a short while" (however long that may be). A fairly interesting twist on Tetris. Worth the dl if you like puzzle shape elimination games.

[quote name='Dimsdale']BoXiKoN is also free "for a short while" (however long that may be). A fairly interesting twist on Tetris. Worth the dl if you like puzzle shape elimination games.[/QUOTE]

Being Modified for me ATM. Hopefully working shortly.

"Payload" is not worth the current asking price (free). Elf isn't much better. It's a kind of ugly PapiJump.

Downloading BoXKoN now.

EDIT: BoXiKoN seems pretty cool so far, way beyond the leagues of the above two games. Good visuals and sound and a clever variant on Tetris, though I've only played it a few minutes so take that with a grain of salt.

Not sure if it's still $.99, but I can't say enough good things about Angry Birds. Sounds stupid, but it's a very fun Boom Blox imitation that I actually think I'm enjoying more than the Wii game (in this case using sadistic birds to do the knocking down blocks, etc. to take out mean piggies). Pick it up if you haven't already.

[quote name='awp']Not sure if it's still $.99, but I can't say enough good things about Crazy Birds. Sounds stupid, but it's a very fun Boom Blox imitation that I actually think I'm enjoying more than the Wii game (in this case using sadistic birds to do the knocking down blocks, etc. to take out mean piggies). Pick it up if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]

Yup, its still 99 cents. I went ahead and bought it on your recommendation since I just got an iTunes gift card. Thanks.

Its called Angry Birds though, fyi.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angry-birds/id343200656?mt=8

[quote name='mkernan']Yup, its still 99 cents. I went ahead and bought it on your recommendation since I just got an iTunes gift card. Thanks.

Its called Angry Birds though, fyi.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angry-birds/id343200656?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Sorry, not sure where I got crazy. Yes, it's Angry Birds. Hope you like it as much as I do since you can't get a lite version. But yesterday when I got it, it had a 5 star average so I'm not alone in enjoying it.

Looks like Konami is having another $.99 sale, also, Fallen Ep 1 is on sale for $1.99. I don't know if that's higher or lower than it's been bur I know there's been lots of talk about it.

Bought Angry Birds with no way to play until I update to OS 3.0. More and more apps are requiring it too.

Darn you Apple! :bomb: Anyone think 4.0 is going to be out soon?

Today's free appvent game is 'Balcassa'.

"A unique and challenging cross between a slider puzzle and a Rubik’s Cube, Balcassa includes a variety of games offering hours of increasingly challenging game-play. The object of each of the games is to rotate a number of cubes into a sequence, a pattern or orientation by moving them around the screen. In some games it may be enough to get each cube into position with the correct side showing, while in other games rotation of the cubes must also be considered. The idea is simple, the solution is not!"

http://appventcalendar.com/balcassa/

[quote name='DtotheP']Looks like Konami is having another $.99 sale, also, Fallen Ep 1 is on sale for $1.99. I don't know if that's higher or lower than it's been bur I know there's been lots of talk about it.[/QUOTE]

The 99 cent Konami sale is apparently to celebrate the release of 'Tomena Sanner', which looks relatively similar to Canabalt, but way more zany. Looks pretty interesting. This game, as well as Dance Dance Revolution S+, Dance Dance Revolution S, Frogger, Metal Gear Solid Touch, Silent Hill: The Escape, Krazy Kart Racing, Power Pros Touch, Silent Scope, and Field Prowlers Police Rush! are all 99 cents. The sale runs through Jan. 4th. Here's a link to Tomena Sanner:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomena-sanner-us/id340120316?mt=8

More info and links to each game in this Joystiq article:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/12/15/konami-cuts-iphone-game-prices-for-tomena-sanner-release/

Angry Birds does look pretty cool. I'm considering paying the 99 cents.

As far as free apps (from recent appventcalendar), iBlast Moki is pretty great. I'm really liking it. It's probably worth whatever they are asking for it now. Sorry if you didn't get it when it was free.

How is Silent Hill? I mean, since it's a shooter-on-rails is there any replay value? Definitely going to pick up MGS:T and Krazy Kart Racing. Lol, I remember playing that as a launch title for the GBA.

[quote name='mkernan']

The 99 cent Konami sale is apparently to celebrate the release of 'Tomena Sanner', which looks relatively similar to Canabalt, but way more zany. Looks pretty interesting.[/QUOTE]

This game does look interesting. If anyone gets it, post some opinions! I might bite.

[quote name='Hibiwa']Bought Angry Birds with no way to play until I update to OS 3.0. More and more apps are requiring it too.

Darn you Apple! :bomb: Anyone think 4.0 is going to be out soon?[/QUOTE]

Next summer most likely.

[quote name='awp']This game does look interesting. If anyone gets it, post some opinions! I might bite.[/QUOTE]

Here's a writeup (and video) of Tomena Sanner on Touch Arcade:

http://toucharcade.com/2009/11/30/tomena-sanner-canabalt-meets-a-japanese-game-show/

Looks zany enough to warrant a 99 cent purchase. I like the fact that you actually keep going, versus Canabalt where you just die and start over again. Apparently, they're bringing it to WiiWare in 2010.

[quote name='Dimsdale']The EA sale app for today is Sudoku for .99[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . How is this one? I'm almost tempted, but I've got so many sudoku apps already -- not really entirely satisfied with any of them, though.

Oddly enough, I have yet to find a sudoku game for any of my various devices (iPhone, PSP, DSi, etc.) that I like nearly as much as the one that I had for my old Samsung flip phone that I had back before I got the iPhone. The DSi version of this EA game is probably the closest I've found . . .

[quote name='arcane93']Hm . . . How is this one? I'm almost tempted, but I've got so many sudoku apps already -- not really entirely satisfied with any of them, though.

Oddly enough, I have yet to find a sudoku game for any of my various devices (iPhone, PSP, DSi, etc.) that I like nearly as much as the one that I had for my old Samsung flip phone that I had back before I got the iPhone. The DSi version of this EA game is probably the closest I've found . . .[/QUOTE]

I just purchased the Sudoku for $0.99. This is definitely one of the better sudokus I've played. The touch works perfectly, you could play your own music while playing, the music is nice, visually looks nice too!

The only thing that's irking me is the animations with in the game. Sure, it looks nice visually but when you're trying to finish the puzzle with in a certain amount of time (or the quickest), and you have to wait an extra second for the "glow" Animation when you either completed a row, column, square, number, it starts to get annoying. I played one gaem on easy and it was quite annoying. That's probably the only thing that I have a complaint about. Hope they will update with an option to turn off animations!

d

[quote name='kapkorn']Next summer most likely.[/QUOTE]

That would be a lot later than I imagined. To wait, or not. My Pocket God hasn't been refreshed since the Zombie update. :whistle2:(

Speaking of, the latest reviews are complaining about the dancing Pygmies being gone. Any truth?

Gah . . . decided to go ahead and get Sudoku, and I'm getting that "this item is being modified" crap. What the hell? I thought EA's sale apps were supposed to be all day?

bread's done
Back