iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='callmesteam']Rock Band... worth $5? Or just stick to the console version?[/QUOTE]
I really like the iPhone version. About 20 songs, each with 4 instruments (though "singing" sucks). Definitely bite on it if you're interested; I did at $6 or $7, and was happy.

Cooking Mama is $3.99, down from $6.99.

Tetris is $2.99, down from $4.99... and of course, I just bought it at $5 last week.

[quote name='mkernan']Cooking Mama is $3.99, down from $6.99.

Tetris is $2.99, down from $4.99... and of course, I just bought it at $5 last week.[/QUOTE]

Ooooh tetris

[quote name='iowaholdem']God dammit. Need for Speed Shift just dropped to $6.99 from $9.99!

Worthless.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that SUCKS :(

By the way, how it is?

Well I've only put about five minutes into it since I've got a broken hand and it's hard to play much, but here are my initial impressions:

Beautiful graphics
Nice effects (guide line, blurry vision at crashes, varying degrees of windshield cracks)
Much less on-rails than NFSU
Has many more control options (steer/brake assist, manaul/auto transmission)

[quote name='Dimsdale']Even though Rockband is reduced to $4.99, I noticed EA doesn't specifically mention it as being on sale. Hmmmm. Anyone think it will drop lower? I'm still on the fence about spending $5 for 26 songs. . .[/QUOTE]

Well, you could buy those same 26 songs for 26 bucks on the iTunes Music Store...so I'd say it's a deal.

[quote name='seanr1221']Anyone get Nescaline? In sure it won't last long.[/QUOTE]

Nescaline - 5 NES games in an itouch/iphone app for $7? No thank you.

[quote name='Casteor']Nescaline - 5 NES games in an itouch/iphone app for $7? No thank you.[/QUOTE]

I think you're missing the point. It lets you download additional NES games from a remote URL. So, you could theoretically load a whole slew of NES ROMs on it.

[quote name='mkernan']I think you're missing the point. It lets you download additional NES games from a remote URL. So, you could theoretically load a whole slew of NES ROMs on it.[/QUOTE]

So how is that legit?

[quote name='TheRock88']That's why Sean said it wont last long on the app store...[/QUOTE]

I thought apps were under review by employees or whatever before processed to be sold in the App store?

Yeah well, they're not too good at it.

And the Tetris question was serious. If it's not much better than a free game, I'm not getting it.

I'd like an nes emulator on my iphone but $6.99 is too much for an app that most likely won't get the kind of support a strong emulator needs (in the sense it may either get removed or if it doesn't, there's still no guarantee of support for actual NES retail titles). Plus the price kinda seems like a grab and run type deal, as I bet the author wants as many sales as possible and knows the app may not last on the store.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yeah well, they're not too good at it.

And the Tetris question was serious. If it's not much better than a free game, I'm not getting it.[/QUOTE]

Tetris is an excellent game, man. Any tetris is pretty much GREAT, imo. It works quite nicely on touch screen.

[quote name='etcrane']I'd like an nes emulator on my iphone but $6.99 is too much for an app that most likely won't get the kind of support a strong emulator needs (in the sense it may either get removed or if it doesn't, there's still no guarantee of support for actual NES retail titles). Plus the price kinda seems like a grab and run type deal, as I bet the author wants as many sales as possible and knows the app may not last on the store.[/QUOTE]

You don't get issued a refund?

[quote name='TheRock88']No, but you get to keep the app on your phone/touch even if Apple decides to take it off the app store (which they will).[/QUOTE]

I'd rather get a refund in that scenario

It might not get removed (but probably will).

It's "legit" because the ROMs included are homebrew, not copyrighted material. Just like any Windows, Linux, or OS X NES emulator is legit. Its obtaining the ROMs that's not legit (provided you don't own the game).

ok, really getting impatient; Dungeon Hunter, Ravensword, Canabalt...yaa...you're not in the top 50 apps anymore, so a sale, ONE day at least, would be nice to have :roll:

[quote name='mkernan']It also says "remember, no free apps the 23rd or 24th..... something else", whatever the heck that means.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't say "no free apps," it says "no free games." I'd assume that means non-game apps.

I'm really tempted to grab the Tom Tom app while it's still on sale.

Right now, I use my Garmin, but it would be really nice to have my GPS built into my phone. Anyone have it? Any recommendations for something to hold the phone up while I drive? I already have a charger, so something that just holds it would be fine. I have a 3gs, so if someone calls, I can just put them on speaker and keep looking at the map, right? Can I listen to music while using it?

[quote name='arcane93']It doesn't say "no free apps," it says "no free games." I'd assume that means non-game apps.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was paraphrasing. But no, its not that.

It's this:

[quote name='skubish']Apple is doing something to the servers so devs can't change prices until after Xmas.[/QUOTE]

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/12/09/itunes-connect-unavailable-december-23-28-2009/

I guess now I can actually play some of these games (and delete the crappy ones), which is nice.... since I have about 10 more than will fit on my last home screen.

Family Feud is up for $2.99. Has anyone tried it? I love Family Feud but many of the game versions suck horribly. I think the PS2 version was the worst I have ever played.

Picked up Sponge Dude for free and Wolfenstein RPG for 0.99.

I'd love to see a legitimate NES emu that offered NES ROMs (real ones) via in-app purchase. The emu should be free and the ROMs should cost money. That could rock, but I suppose even though it would be handled legitimately, Nintendo probably wouldn't go for it.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm really tempted to grab the Tom Tom app while it's still on sale.

Right now, I use my Garmin, but it would be really nice to have my GPS built into my phone. Anyone have it? Any recommendations for something to hold the phone up while I drive? I already have a charger, so something that just holds it would be fine. I have a 3gs, so if someone calls, I can just put them on speaker and keep looking at the map, right? Can I listen to music while using it?[/QUOTE]

I have a Garmin with lifetime maps and I just don't see my phone being as accurate at that. Granted, I've used the Maps feature, which is helpful, but not very accurate. Yes, the Garmin is an extra device to bring with, and I'm sure people swear by the TomTom app, but most times, a dedicated device is going to be better than one that isn't.

[quote name='robbrism']Is there an app tracker that shows prior prices of apps like camelcamelcamel.com does for Amazon?[/QUOTE]
Appshopper does if you look up the game you want. I missed it too.

[quote name='robbrism']Is there an app tracker that shows prior prices of apps like camelcamelcamel.com does for Amazon?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I use http://appshopper.com/ it keeps track of old prices and price drops. You can even have it email you when an app you want drops in price.

[quote name='LuisRM']I have a Garmin with lifetime maps and I just don't see my phone being as accurate at that. Granted, I've used the Maps feature, which is helpful, but not very accurate. Yes, the Garmin is an extra device to bring with, and I'm sure people swear by the TomTom app, but most times, a dedicated device is going to be better than one that isn't.[/QUOTE]

I presume that by "accurate" you are referring to the accuracy of the GPS location, however if you are talking about the accuracy and breadth of the points of interest, a stand-alone GPS can't compare to a GPS that searches live for POI via google or bing. I'd also add getting maps live via google or bing maps, but there are some shortcomings there, currently, obviously especially if you have no 3G signal. What would be best is a local database backed up (and updated) with live maps when possible, though currently there is no such app. I'm sure it's coming, though. In any case I've been using GPS Drive, and I'm pretty happy with it. I hope they'll add features like text-to-speech and lane guidance, though.

Glyder 2? I'll have to look into that! I love Glyder - picked it up around launch for $1.99, I think. Man, I've bought a lot of apps lately. I just did a rough count, and I think I've spent about $65 on iPhone games thanks to a lot of patience and early adoption to snag games at $0.99. Too bad I still get smoked on a lot of purchases by overpaying immediately before a price drop (Fieldrunners @ $2 in 2 hours, Wolfenstein RPG @ $2 in 2 weeks, NFS Shift @ $3 in 1 hour).

I'm going to hold off on purchases until after Christmas. I expect I'll come into at least a $25 iTunes card, at which point I plan on buying the following:

Glyder 2 ($2.99)
N.O.V.A. ($6.99)
Rock Band ($4.99)
DOOM Resurection ($1.99)
COD WAW Zombies ($9.99)

And possibly:

Soosiz ($2.99)
Super KO Boxing 2 ($2.99)
Space Invaders Infinity Gene ($4.99)

I'm really tempted to grab the Tom Tom app while it's still on sale.

Right now, I use my Garmin, but it would be really nice to have my GPS built into my phone. Anyone have it? Any recommendations for something to hold the phone up while I drive? I already have a charger, so something that just holds it would be fine. I have a 3gs, so if someone calls, I can just put them on speaker and keep looking at the map, right? Can I listen to music while using it?

I just picked up the Kensington mount and i would highly recommend it. It has the windshield mount and vent mount. Amazon has it now through buy.com for $29.99 and you can read all the great reviews on it there. Apple store sells it for $39.99.

I've got a Kensington mount as well, though it didn't come with a vent mount. Just windshield and dash. In any case it works well... once I realized the trick to removing the iPhone from it (press in the button on the back while squeezing the arms that hold the iPhone in place and then letting them go - they will then pop open.) I wish that aspect of it worked better, but once you get use it it is OK. They have a mount with a long arm and one with a short arm. I've got the latter. I'd be a little worried that the longer arm one would be wobbly and amazon reviews seem to verify that. I'd stick with the short arm one.

I noticed Fallen EP-1 is on sale for $1.99 ... has that always been the price since release or is that down? Anyone tried it out and have any thoughts on it? I'm tempted just because it's a different genre than what we typically get on the App store.

bread's done
Back