iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
In-game? I've never heard of that. I tried it a few times and it just closes the game and goes to my favorites. I tried playing music and then starting and it stops my music, I could double-tap up until it stopped my music an then the home button just kicks me out.

[quote name='hollowfreak']In-game? I've never heard of that. I tried it a few times and it just closes the game and goes to my favorites. I tried playing music and then starting and it stops my music, I could double-tap up until it stopped my music an then the home button just kicks me out.[/QUOTE]

That really is my biggest complaint with games these days. Not being able to listen to your own music. Sword and Poker for example. It's purely a developer programming thing.

[quote name='hollowfreak']In-game? I've never heard of that. I tried it a few times and it just closes the game and goes to my favorites. I tried playing music and then starting and it stops my music, I could double-tap up until it stopped my music an then the home button just kicks me out.[/QUOTE]

The difference here is iPhone vs. iPod touch. On the iPhone it will quit out of the current application and do whatever you've got set in the preferences (such as going to favorites, or going to iPod application), while on the iPod touch it brings up a pop-up music control thingy. Actually this does do this on the iPhone if you double-press home while your music is playing, but the problem is that the game stops your music, so then double-tapping home won't bring up the pop-up controls and instead quits and goes to whatever you have set! Talk about a rock and hard place. Doh!

EDIT: I hope with the next OS, that Apple creates a requirement that all apps support the ability to play your own music, and enforces it. Also I'm hoping they have purchased OpenFeint or Plus+ and integrate it with the OS and require support of it. Like Microsoft does with Achievements on the 360. Oh what a wondrous land we will live in then!

anyone who buys movies off iTunes or has seen these flicks, is Gamer or Moon worth a buy?

both of those movies look very interesting to me, and i never got a chance to see them.

[quote name='jcp42877']anyone who buys movies off iTunes or has seen these flicks, is Gamer or Moon worth a buy?

both of those movies look very interesting to me, and i never got a chance to see them.[/QUOTE]
Gamer was passable as a popcorn flick, but not worth owning. Moon is on my list of must see eventually.

Perhaps I'm just judging it too quickly, but I picked up The Deep and wasn't impressed. Sure it's kind of quirky and at 99 cents not awful, but I just feel like I've played better. The game mechanics seem far too simple to compare it to a metroidvania style of gameplay ... dunno, jut didn't feel it after playing for 1/2 an hour or so. Don't get me wrong, it's alright ... I just don't see it being one of those games I keep going back to.

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor ... still worth it at $2.99 if you have yet to pick it up (just a plug and an example of a game whose mechanics & style I personally love)

So far I agree with you, etcrane, about The Deep, but there's a huge caveat to that - I've not even gotten out of the introductory stuff yet. So far I'm just diving and avoiding bad sea creatures and trying not to run out of air. Nothing whatsoever about it strikes me as a metroidvania at all. I presume it must involve shooting at some point, though. The art style doesn't grab me, and certainly not the gameplay, though as I said, I'm not out of the intro yet. In any case I'm thinking I should have waited for a lite version and put the 99 cents toward something else. Oh well.

[quote name='crunchewy']The difference here is iPhone vs. iPod touch. On the iPhone it will quit out of the current application and do whatever you've got set in the preferences (such as going to favorites, or going to iPod application), while on the iPod touch it brings up a pop-up music control thingy. Actually this does do this on the iPhone if you double-press home while your music is playing, but the problem is that the game stops your music, so then double-tapping home won't bring up the pop-up controls and instead quits and goes to whatever you have set! Talk about a rock and hard place. Doh![/QUOTE]
Huh? I've got the latest iPod touch, and double clicking the home button does the same thing as single clicking the home button. Quits whatever I'm doing.

[quote name='crunchewy']So far I agree with you, etcrane, about The Deep, but there's a huge caveat to that - I've not even gotten out of the introductory stuff yet. So far I'm just diving and avoiding bad sea creatures and trying not to run out of air. Nothing whatsoever about it strikes me as a metroidvania at all. I presume it must involve shooting at some point, though. The art style doesn't grab me, and certainly not the gameplay, though as I said, I'm not out of the intro yet. In any case I'm thinking I should have waited for a lite version and put the 99 cents toward something else. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you get a harpoon gun and upgrades that let you blow up rocks, use a flashlight, etc. I guess my biggest problem with the game is that it just seems kind of ... I dunno, you're basically avoiding really dumb enemies and just kind of floating around trying to get stuff. Comparing it to metroid or castlevania is a stretch ... now a port of those old GBA Castlevania games or DS games would be incredible ... even with touch controls I'm sure they would still be fun.

[quote name='pete5883']Huh? I've got the latest iPod touch, and double clicking the home button does the same thing as single clicking the home button. Quits whatever I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

I just noticed that it doesn't work anymore. It changed with the 3.0 upgrade. I could play music in games over the game music by hitting the Home button twice in a row

The Deep has no combat or bosses. Just exploring and dodging fish and collecting macguffins. For a dollar it is a great buy but don't expect Metroid games.

Spent a solid hour on Chinatown Wars tonight and it is great so far. Still can't believe I'm playing this game on my phone.

Played the first few levels of Dawn of the Dead and while I don't think it is as good as Alive 4-Ever I do think it is a solid entry into the genre on the iPhone. My only issue with it thus far is that it needs some sort of arrow or pointer towards the objectives since the top down view is so limited.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I just noticed that it doesn't work anymore. It changed with the 3.0 upgrade. I could play music in games over the game music by hitting the Home button twice in a row[/QUOTE]

You can still use it if you have music already playing, so for any games that don't stop your music double-tapping home will bring up the control menu to pause, skip, adjust volume (with onscreen slider the buttons should work all the time ;)) or see what is playing.

You can also use it from the lock screen to bring up a similar music control menu and even play music while in locked mode while still having an app that blocks music paused in the background, but your music will fade out after unlocking and resuming your game.

Short and sweet version: it works, but doesn't help alleviate issues with games that stop your music.

EDIT: just tested it with Defender Chronicles and it seems that the double-tap home doesn't do anything but exit if you're playing your own music through in game playlist support (the OS 3.0 feature)

Cocoto Kart is today's freeappaday.com game.

From the description apparently you have to connect to their online mode to download all the tracks and carts for the full single player mode for free before tomorrow.

Looks like other than that it's just the regular lite version.

[quote name='cycophuk']Actually I was just being sarcastic to the posts telling him to try to scam Apple by offering him an easier solution. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously because I figured everyone here would be smarter than that.[/QUOTE]

People on CAG have said a lot more stupid, selfish stuff and meant it. Usually, if you're joking, you're either better at sarcasm or put some indicator you're joking.

[quote name='ViolentLee']People on CAG have said a lot more stupid, selfish stuff and meant it. Usually, if you're joking, you're either better at sarcasm or put some indicator you're joking.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, you are just now commenting on what I said? After this amount of time, wouldn't it have been better to have just ignored it? What benefit does it bring by stilling talking about it? I've learned my lesson and pwomise never do it again. Now, let's focus on games deals from this point on, ok?

[quote name='cycophuk']Jesus, you are just now commenting on what I said? After this amount of time, wouldn't it have been better to have just ignored it? What benefit does it bring by stilling talking about it? I've learned my lesson and pwomise never do it again. Now, let's focus on games deals from this point on, ok?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Past is the past, no need to rehash

[quote name='Hostile']Just won The Horrible Vikings from Slide To Play. It looks like Angry Birds and I enjoyed that so I hope I like this too.[/QUOTE]
I put that one on my watch list - as soon as it hits $1, it's mine...

As much as I love the Final Fantasy series, FFI and FFII never made it on my radar. I don't think I would want to pay more than $1 each for them.

[quote name='Jodou']FYI, looks like FFI & II are headed to the app store with revamped graphics![/QUOTE]

Day one full price purchases for me. The iphone/itouch is the perfect platform for JRPG style games. Not to mention, a great series of games to start us off.

I hope you guys remember how good Final Fantasy 1 & 2 actually are... Parts 1-3 are all quite antiquated IMO, but some people may still enjoy them.

[quote name='eastx']I hope you guys remember how good Final Fantasy 1 & 2 actually are... Parts 1-3 are all quite antiquated IMO, but some people may still enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

I got FF1 with the PSP bundle i bought off a guy on this site, but never played it...is it worth a playthrough?

Regardless, GTA Chinatown Wars will be the first $10 app i purchase once i get my hands in an itunes card

$10 for both Final Fantasy titles? We're talkin' turkey.

$10 per title? Wake me when there's a sale.

I'd like to hear how Chinatown Wars is. I picked it up on PSP due to some old GS credit I had, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should have waited for this version (if only to have saved $20).

[quote name='Hostile']Just won The Horrible Vikings from Slide To Play. It looks like Angry Birds and I enjoyed that so I hope I like this too.[/QUOTE]
What a coincidence. I ALSO won Horrible Vikings from Slide To Play.

It ain't spectacular but it's good fun. The physics are loose and it's really more about bouncing your viking and jiggering the physics to get enough height to land at your goal. The writing is a hoot though.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'd like to hear how Chinatown Wars is. I picked it up on PSP due to some old GS credit I had, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should have waited for this version (if only to have saved $20).[/QUOTE]

It is pretty damn good. I am still really impressed by this title and that I have no noticeable slow down on my 3G. If you are looking for a console experience on the iPhone/iPod as oppossed to just quick fixes and you enjoy GTA style games then you should def check this out.

I'm going to say that the iPhone version of GTA:CW is a better purchase at $10 instead of $30 for the PSP. I played and loved it on the DS, so I'm thinking I may also buy it on the iPhone, but I'm unsure. Still too hooked on Swords & Poker!

[quote name='iowaholdem']I'm going to say that the iPhone version of GTA:CW is a better purchase at $10 instead of $30 for the PSP. I played and loved it on the DS, so I'm thinking I may also buy it on the iPhone, but I'm unsure. Still too hooked on Swords & Poker![/QUOTE]

Hah me too! I play at work all the time. I'm on lvl 24 i think. It's getting tough..

There's an app called Rock Band Free that was just released today; it's free, as you might think. Don't know how it differs from Rock Band itself.

http://$$$$$$$/7lMIfZ

[quote name='malik112099']it is pretty damn good. I am still really impressed by this title and that i have no noticeable slow down on my 3g. If you are looking for a console experience on the iphone/ipod as oppossed to just quick fixes and you enjoy gta style games then you should def check this out.[/quote]

+1

Gta is the best game on the iPhone IMO. It is one of the few times I've felt like I am playing a real game and not a mini game. Nova and some other games are a step up. But gta just looks great an is a ton of fun.

Is it me or does the music and sound effects from Swords and Poker sound like they were ripped from a Final Fantasy game? The music especially sounds REALLY familiar.

Just a heads up for folks buying GTA Chinatown Wars or well, anything off itunes for $10 or more really ... Best Buy is running a deal this week where you get a free $5 giftcard when you buy a $25 itunes card. It's not much, but it makes more financial sense than simply throwing down S10+ directly through iTunes.

[quote name='seanw']There's an app called Rock Band Free that was just released today; it's free, as you might think. Don't know how it differs from Rock Band itself.[/QUOTE]

It is just the lite version....

I'm not sure what to think about GTA CW on iphone. On one hand, I'm really interested and happy it's only $10, but on the other hand I agree w/Pachter that devs are shooting themselves in the foot by offerring "console quality" games on iphone/itouch for a fraction of the price. I'm glad I held off on that title for DS and PSP, though, make no mistake about that...

[quote name='gunm']I'm not sure what to think about GTA CW on iphone. On one hand, I'm really interested and happy it's only $10, but on the other hand I agree w/Pachter that devs are shooting themselves in the foot by offerring "console quality" games on iphone/itouch for a fraction of the price. I'm glad I held off on that title for DS and PSP, though, make no mistake about that...[/QUOTE]

I think it is a very smart move to release a "console quality game" so cheap on the iphone, and here's why: A very large fraction of new game sales come within the first two months of launch. After that, stores and online retailers that sell used copies, such as GameStop or eBay, bite hard into sales, and the developer/publisher don't see a dime from those sales. In releasing the game for $10 on the iPhone, they are able to undercut the used game market, while reaching 14 million+ potential customers. All without cannibalizing future potential new copy sales of the PSP and DS versions of the game. BRILLIANT!!

[quote name='Hostile']It definitely sounds like it was ripped off from a JRPG.

I would go with Dragon Quest though.[/QUOTE]

... and throw some Zelda in there as well.

bread's done
Back