iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='2000man']I did not like Babel at all. The G*d powers and controls are weak. Immediate delete, but thanks for posting.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has different tastes. I love ancient history, so the theme adds a lot of enjoyment for me. Plus the powers take some time to understand how/when to use them. Pocket God was an immediate delete for me, but I'm having fun with Babel. Gotta love the all-seeing eye of God.

[quote name='BillyDKid']Everyone has different tastes. I love ancient history, so the theme adds a lot of enjoyment for me. Plus the powers take some time to understand how/when to use them. Pocket God was an immediate delete for me, but I'm having fun with Babel. Gotta love the all-seeing eye of God.[/QUOTE]
I never really "got" Pocket God, either. Sure, you can mess with the natives and cause all kinds of environmental changes but what was the ultimate point of it all? At least with Babel, there's a clear objective. Smiting the laborers actually has a purpose. Besides being fun. Oh well, to each his own.

592451.png

Fireworks In Hands
*** Thanks to your votes on www.freeAppCalendar.com, Fireworks In Hands is the Featured FREE App of the Day for April 14, 2010! ***

http://appshopper.com/games/fireworks-in-hands

[quote name='mkernan']I'm not a huge fan of it, but keep in mind how it works. Everything you browse to is going through an Opera-operated proxy server, where the content gets compressed and optimized, which is supposed to make the transfer to your mobile device faster. I think it is ideal for low-speed links, like weak 3G signals or Edge-only signals (aka 1g iPhone). So, bearing that in mind, also consider that the simple fact that it even got approved by Apple is huge news and you can imagine that their proxy servers are taking a beating. So, that is very likely to degrade the performance. I'd suggest giving it a day or two to let the traffic level out before writing it off entirely.

Having said that, I'm not really diggin' it either, connection issues aside.[/QUOTE]

My problem with it isn't speed, it's that it's clunky, renders poorly for everything I tried (including CAG - I can't even click the keep me logged in button when signing in, or whatever that is labeled) and offers me nothing but an alleged speed boost when I didn't really have a problem with the speed of Safari to begin with. Plus it makes me feel like I'm browsing on my old phone, which isn't something I care to replicate! :)

I do have an alternate browser that I do use on occasion: iCab mobile. It is WebKit based and so renders just as well as Safari, but it offers features that Safari doesn't have including, and this is the big one for me, the ability to set the browser ID, which sometimes comes in handy. For example I can get the full Google Voice web site with it, something you can't do in Safari, by setting the browser ID to desktop Safari. Yes, there are some issues with viewing the full site on it, but it works well enough that I can change GV settings that I can't change with the mobile verison. For example I can add new forwarding phone numbers, change the options for phone numbers, etc. It also has full screen browsing (better then opera) and other stuff, though I mostly just use it when I want to get around some web site that forces me into a gimped mobile version only.

My Open Feint name is Th Tuff Stuff. I'd love to compete with some people on Babel Rising so add me if anyone wants to.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Pumpkin Carnage is now free.[/QUOTE]

The lite version is free, but the full version comes up as .99 for me.

464325.png
IMO: The World of Magic came out tonight - FREE.

Played it for an hour or two with a few friends, seems like a very decent mobile MMO. You can form a party and fight enemies with other players, form guilds, and even some PVP action (which I haven't seen yet).

There are some in-app purchases (one being a Booster Pack for $3.99 which gives you some items, special random armor, premium membership and some other stuff), but none of it is required. The premium memberships removes the ad-banner in the chat window (not a big issue) and allows you to trade with NPCs. Not too sure how much of a problem not having premium will be as of yet, especially with not being able to buy/sell with NPCs. (It seems you can have other [premium] people do it for you though.)

astro ranch is now free, a decent farming sim with an animal crossing look that had a lot of glitches out of the gate but has been improved. Very much worth a free download.

I said I wasn't going to download these free apps any more unless they got good reviews and looked like something I liked... but I can't stop myself, I guess. I downloaded Age of Tribes and Retro Revolution. Thanks Dimsdale!

[quote name='crunchewy']I said I wasn't going to download these free apps any more unless they got good reviews and looked like something I liked... but I can't stop myself, I guess. I downloaded Age of Tribes and Retro Revolution. Thanks Dimsdale![/QUOTE]

Yeah I keep downloading too, the star rating is useless on itunes since everybody on there is so fucking stupid, but I do try to go by some of the actual written reviews.

Retro Revolution is entertaining enough, at least in the classic mode. I don't like the flight mode at all. It's nothing great, but is a decent diversion on the order of Cyberrunner and stuff like that. Certainly worth a free download. Age of Tribes is a really simplistic lemmings game in which the only thing you do is draw lines for the people to walk up/down, but it's also worth a play for free.

[quote name='crunchewy']Retro Revolution is entertaining enough, at least in the classic mode. I don't like the flight mode at all. It's nothing great, but is a decent diversion on the order of Cyberrunner and stuff like that. Certainly worth a free download. Age of Tribes is a really simplistic lemmings game in which the only thing you do is draw lines for the people to walk up/down, but it's also worth a play for free.[/QUOTE]

If you like Retro Revoluton, do youself a favor and get Boost 3D. It may not be quite as pretty, but it's a much better game (one clearly stolen by this developer). It's just more fun with boost pads, a greater variety of obstacles, etc.

so what happens if an app gets pulled? does it still continue to work? or do you lose it when you sync?

btw bird strike is a lot of fun. not bad for a free app.

I have an app that Apple pulled, Tris which was an excellent Tetris clone.
EA was going to release the real Tetris and apparently complained to Apple.
It was removed shortly after.
To this day, it still shows up in my iTunes App list and I can install anytime I want to.

Bird Strike seemed alright, but not really a game you could sit down and kill 20 minutes with. I really liked that puzzle game that was posted yesterday. I don't know how you're supposed to independently combine 2 sets of blocks with each of your thumbs. You'd have to be DaVinci to do some shit like that.

Cloud Browse amuses me with their claim that it's mire secure because you aren't accessing web sites directly. Oh, but you are remotely their computer to access anything and thus they see everything you do. I hope they aren't harvesting ysernames and passwords.... Anyway, it doesn't work. I guess they are overwhelmed. If they ever get it working, I wouldn't recommend visiting your bank site and such.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Bird Strike seemed alright, but not really a game you could sit down and kill 20 minutes with. I really liked that puzzle game that was posted yesterday. I don't know how you're supposed to independently combine 2 sets of blocks with each of your thumbs. You'd have to be DaVinci to do some shit like that.[/QUOTE]

Unify! I love that one -- bought it when it came out for 99 cents, well worth that price, and especially worth the price of free.99. :)

I might grab the Transformers G1 game for 99 cents when I get home tonight -- looked like a semi-competent tactical RPG-ish game.

I was disappointed to find that hulu still blocks the iphone even using this flash enabled browser. I did get a south park episode to load but it was real choppy. I'd look at cloud browse strictly as a flash browser that's cumbersome and hard to use. Thanks for the advice on passwords crunchchewy, I wasn't aware that this is (as the name states) a cloud browser, completely accessible by whoever runs the server.

[quote name='caltab']transformers g1 is on sale for .99[/QUOTE]

Thanks, was really tempted to pick it up when it dropped to $3 but glad I waited.

[quote name='caltab']transformers g1 is on sale for .99[/QUOTE]

Good catch. I'd also been waiting for a drop on this. Now if only they would drop GTA Chinatown Wars...

[quote name='kurrptsenate']someone post some screen shots. The name transformers completely turns me off (thank you hollywood) but the strategy RPG intrigues me[/QUOTE]

google much?

[quote name='kurrptsenate']someone post some screen shots. The name transformers completely turns me off (thank you hollywood) but the strategy RPG intrigues me[/QUOTE]

I linked to a review. Do we need to click the mouse for you too? :p

Omg, Astro Ranch is an amazing epic win to get for free! Freeappaday has put in work, they got a $5 app for free mane. I love this, this is amazing.

I think we'll be getting a Hulu app before long, so I wouldn't worry too much. We are definitely getting Netflix streaming and that's what I'm excited about. Wish there were an ETA on that.

I keep having that problem with Astro Farmer on my wife's iPhone. It completely locked up my iPhone early today in which I had to hard reset the thing. It works fine on my now but won't get past the second load screen on hers.

lol same thing with my iPhone. i got a black screen for about a minute. she deleted it off of hers, but i kept it on mine since it loads now. she's not into rating things for whatever reason, but I always rate when I delete something.

bread's done
Back