iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
wow there have been a ton of good freebies of late, sword of fargoal is highly praised by a lot of review sites, I haven't played it, but definitely gonna try that one. Also, Blokus is coming out tonight from gameloft for fans of that board game.

Good Sunday morning, CAGers! Here's your freebie app sites collective:

Free App a Day goes old school with Mastermind (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=18&month=04). Be a code breaker and guess the hidden sequence in as few moves as possible!
OpenFeint is showcasing the rather painterly-looking Grim Reaper (http://itunes.apple.com/app/grim-reaper/id341778875?mt=8). If you've been craving some side-scrolling hack 'n slash mayhem, this one's for you.
Great App a Day has Stunt Junkie (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/stunt-junkie/). Give in to your disregard for human life and limb with this physics/gravity diversion.
Free App Calendar has the previously-mentioned Sword of Fargoal (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=133). Get your D&D fix in a handy, pocket-sized edition with this extensive dungeon crawler. It received a 5-star rating from TouchArcade (among other places), so I'd definitely recommend checking it out if it even faintly interests you.

That's it for now. Have a great Sunday!

Actually, I forgot to mention a terrific free app called MobileRice (http://appshopper.com/games/mobilerice). This is the portable portal to FreeRice.com, a website that donates rice to the United Nations World Food Program. Under the guise of a vocabulary quiz game, for each word you correctly define (don't worry, it's multiple choice), they contribute 10 grains of rice. It may not sound like much, but it can quickly add up. To date, the site has contributed over 19 MILLION grains of rice to help feed the hungry! It's basically sponsor-driven but it doesn't cost you anything but some time. It may even make you a little smarter (and a better speaker) in the end. If you want more details, check 'em out at www.freerice.com.

Hey if I'm looking for headphones for an original IPhone, what type of jack am I looking for so that I can plug them in and hear through the headphones without an adapter? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='relentlessrolento']tyrian dropped to .99 and i can very easily recommend it. Badass 90s game.[/quote]
TYRIAN IPHONE PORT?! Holy crap!

Also, I hated Sword of Fargoal but for free you can't beat that.

Sorry to throw this off subject a little, but I didn't see a general iPhone discussion anywhere on here so I thought I'd toss a couple questions your way. If there is a general discussion area, just point me in the right direction and I'll take my questions there.

I'll be getting an iPhone in the next week or two. My wife already has an iPhone. Here are my two questions:

(1) If I download a game, can I put it on both of our iPhones or do I need to download it once on my iTunes account and once on hers for us to be able to both have the game on our iPhones?

(2) Do you guys have any suggestions for a good iPhone case? I was looking around at Amazon and the top sellers looked like they turned your iPhone into a Sherman Tank-like Nextel phone. I want something that'll protect it from drops and scratches, but don't want it to double in size.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back on topic...I'll be snagging Soosiz by the end of the day here. Thanks for the heads-up on the price drop.

If you have different iTunes accounts then you need to each download it. If you share the same iTunes account you can have it on up to 5 devices.

I use a Speck case and I love it. For what you are talking about though I would look at Otter Box cases those are supposed to be super tough plus water proof!

+1 for Speck. Have a cover for my 2G iTouch and I actually think my iTouch is too small without the case on. Really high quality too.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Can anyone else vouch for Tyrian?[/QUOTE]
I downloaded the Lite version of Tyrian to check it out. Holy crap! I actually played the original of this way (waay) back in the day on my PC. This looks exactly like the original and is a great oldschool, nostalgia shooter. I went ahead and dropped the Washington for the full version.

Also, count me in as another satisfied Speck case user. My Touch has accidentally bounced onto the floor more than once (dropping 3 or 4 feet. . .ouch!) and everything's still going strong as far as I can tell.

[quote name='Raider']If you have different iTunes accounts then you need to each download it. If you share the same iTunes account you can have it on up to 5 devices.

I use a Speck case and I love it. For what you are talking about though I would look at Otter Box cases those are supposed to be super tough plus water proof![/QUOTE]

I think the limit of 5 is only for computers not devices. I share an account with my wife and daughter and use more than 5 devices.

Also, Bird Strike just became the 3rd gold open feint game and got a huge update with a ton of new content.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys - I really appreciate it. I'll look into a Speck case and try to keep all of our purchases on one iTunes account to make things easier.

Imma have to get me a Speck, then. I use a knock off from Hong Kong. XD

Props on dropping that big Washington to get Tyrian! I'm contemplating doing that myself...

I didn't even realize what case I have had (until I just turned it around) and I have a speck as well! LOVE it (and got it really cheap from TJ Maxx, I believe ... They have some GREAT deals on peripherals for the iPhone). Have dripped my phone many, many times with this case ... no probs at all! :D

Another positive rec for a Speck case here. I have the black candyshell one for my 3GS and it is great. As someone else already said I would recommend using a different screen protector though as you can easily find better than the ones that Speck ships with their cases.

Speck it is. I went ahead and ordered a Speck Candyshell case tonight and downloaded Soosiz while it's still 99 cents along with freebies Bank Run and Cobra Command.

Now all I need is to get my iPhone. Work is paying for it since I ocassionally have to answer e-mails when I'm not there. In the meantime, I'll be hanging out with my not-so-gaming-friendly BlackBerry Pearl if you need me. :lol:

aaronmills, I basically just changed to an iphone from a Blackberry Pearl. It is basically changing from night to day. It is definitely good to have a iphone although I believe you definitely have to protect your phone.

I'm pretty sure you can redownload the app with an account that has paid for it for free. Then you can sync it to the other iPhone without having to rebuy it or reauthorize.

Square-Enix is releasing Chaos Rings tomorrow. It's apparently going to be pretty big, they seem to have put a lot of time and effort into it. Price will be high-ish.

Here's a short summary of free app site offerings:
Free App a Day has the puzzler Chromixa (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=19&month=04) featured today.
OpenFeint is showing a matching game, Short Order Cook (http://itunes.apple.com/app/short-order-cook/id360772789?mt=8).
Great App a Day is featuring the Audi A1 Beat Driver game I mentioned the other day (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/audi-a1-beat-driver/).
Finally, Free App Calendar has another puzzler called Theseus (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=111).

[quote name='pete5883']Square-Enix is releasing Chaos Rings tomorrow. It's apparently going to be pretty big, they seem to have put a lot of time and effort into it. Price will be high-ish.[/QUOTE]I'm actually moderately interested in this game. I don't tend to play JRPGs, but this looks like such an impressive release for the iPhone that I might just have to pick it up.

Here's to hoping for a price tag of $5.99 or lower!

[quote name='doodofdoods']chaos ring costs $18 in the nz store, so we can expect it to cost $13 here in the US.[/QUOTE]Woah! I guess I'll hold out on a serious price drop, then, considering I have no clue if I'll even enjoy the game. I'm sure they wont include a Lite, but they'd be crazy to think they'll get great sales without letting the masses try-before-they-buy.

I did just get a new $25 iTunes gift card for my birthday, but still, I'm not that hard up for new games to spend half of it on Chaos Rings.

Speaking of higher prices, how does everyone feel about iPad HD games costing so much more than iPhone games? Personally, I think it's a fine thing. The iPhone app store has been ruined (according to developers, not me, of course) by $1 apps, so it's good to see that they're trying to raise the bar in quality and price within the iPad app store for now. The iPad is, in my opinion, a luxury gaming device, so one should expect to pay more for it. Though I don't doubt that as more developers start to produce HD games, they'll start the race to $1 again.

bread's done
Back