iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
I've put a few minutes into Alive 4-ever Returns ($1.99 sale price) and it has not disappointed. It has improved on the original A4E in many ways, yet keeps the same addicting goal-based dual-stick shooter design.

Graphics have been kicked up a notch (including zoom, bullet clips and environmental effects). Enemy variation seems to be much larger, too, as in the first 4 levels, I've already come across four brand new enemies including birds and slugs. The new characters all have their own strengths and weaknesses and can be upgraded by playing as them.

Also, there are tons of OpenFeint achievements to be had, and who can complain about that?

As it stands, at $1.99, I strongly recommend this game to anyone that's a fan of the genre (or original A4E, $2.99).

[quote name='anathema728']anyone know any good original card games (non-52 card) like mtg?

or any turn based strategy games that aren't turn based tactics?[/QUOTE]

Orion: Legend of Wizards (http://appshopper.com/games/orions-legend-of-wizards) is decent, but not great. It could have been awesome, but the developer didn't support it at all. There's plenty of content for $5, but it's not a great deal. Sadly, I don't see it going on sale, as it hasn't in the past year and a half.

The other one I've heard about is Soul Card Master (http://appshopper.com/games/soul-card-master). I missed picking it up at $.99, and haven't gotten around to picking it up at $2.99, so I can't actually talk to it, but the reviews seem favorable. I'd like to get it someday, I just have a TON of games I've picked up for my iPhone and never actually played. *sigh* Stupid app store.

Edit: Turns out there's a Soul Card Master Free (http://appshopper.com/games/soul-card-master-free), so you can try it out before picking up the whole game. I'll probably do the same.

Wow, I leave town for an evening and look at what I've missed. I'm such a slacker. Thanks for all the posts, 107. Anyway, here's your free sites update for Wednesday:

Free App a Day has Navy Patrol Coastal Defense Advanced [whew] for its featured app today (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=28&month=04).
OpenFeint has the previously-mentioned Data Hunter (http://itunes.apple.com/app/data-hunter/id358978874?mt=8).
Great App a Day has The 15 Puzzle (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/the-15-puzzle-slide/).
Free App Calendar is still showing Gyrotate (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=146) as was previously posted.

Your bonus price drop freebie is Outer Empires (http://itunes.apple.com/app/outer-empires/id326678050?mt=8). Reduced from $1.99 to FREE for a limited time.

Have a great Hump Day!

[quote name='iowaholdem']I've put a few minutes into Alive 4-ever Returns ($1.99 sale price) and it has not disappointed. It has improved on the original A4E in many ways, yet keeps the same addicting goal-based dual-stick shooter design.

Graphics have been kicked up a notch (including zoom, bullet clips and environmental effects). Enemy variation seems to be much larger, too, as in the first 4 levels, I've already come across four brand new enemies including birds and slugs. The new characters all have their own strengths and weaknesses and can be upgraded by playing as them.

Also, there are tons of OpenFeint achievements to be had, and who can complain about that?

As it stands, at $1.99, I strongly recommend this game to anyone that's a fan of the genre (or original A4E, $2.99).[/QUOTE]

Gah, so tempting, but I haven't really put any time into the first game. I'll wait to see if I can grab it at $.99 sometime in the future. Glad to hear it's good though.

Has anyone played or heard of "Hell on Earth 2"? It's a doom clone that is based off the iPhone freedoom development kit. It's currently $.99 and seems to have some decent reviews. I know I paid $4.99 for Doom Classic so I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the full game because for $.99, more Doom levels sounds like a great deal.

[quote name='Wiendog']Has anyone played or heard of "Hell on Earth 2"? It's a doom clone that is based off the iPhone freedoom development kit. It's currently $.99 and seems to have some decent reviews. I know I paid $4.99 for Doom Classic so I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the full game because for $.99, more Doom levels sounds like a great deal.[/QUOTE]

Just got it and it looks good. Much more action than Doom.

Nice. Just curious, which device are you playing it on. I've got a 3G iPhone. I know some 2G users in the TA forums said it worked fine on their device so I'm not too worried. Will be picking it up when I get home.

[quote name='Wiendog']Nice. Just curious, which device are you playing it on. I've got a 3G iPhone. I know some 2G users in the TA forums said it worked fine on their device so I'm not too worried. Will be picking it up when I get home.[/QUOTE]

put it on my ipad. have itouch and most games look ok when i x2 them.

I picked up SF4 at the sale price to continue my addiction now that SSF4 is out. A lot of fun, but may lose its luster without a real multiplayer option. The controls work pretty well, you'll have some moments of missed buttons but overall I dont mind the virtual pad. After the past couple years with the iPhone I've gotten used to it.

The community is begging for a Multiplayer update, if that ever happens I would say it is worth the full $10 price. Until then, if you have some friends to play with here and there and simply love SF4 it is worth it at the sale price.

[quote name='107proof']OK FOLKS. THE ONE EVERYBODY IS WAITING FOR!!! ha... This ones for you Fire thief.

176868.png

DUCK HUNT - ARCADE STYLE SHOOTING FOR KIDS AND THE FAMILY - FREE!!!
Welcome to Duck Hunt the arcade shooting game designed for kids and the entire family.

This simple and fun arcade game challenges you to shoot as many ducks as you can before your two minute time limit runs out.

Make sure you don't shoot the red ducks or the game will be over.

If you shoot all of the ducks before the time runs out, you will get a one minute "BONUS" round to add as many points as you can to your final score.

See if you can make the Duck Hunt top-ten!

http://www.appshopper.com/games/duck-hunt-arcade-style-shooting-for-kids-and-the-family[/QUOTE]

Oh man, what a let down. I was expecting something completely different. Not knocking the game for what it is but my knee jerk reaction was the original version for the NES. That would have been some retro fun. :lol:

[quote name='107proof']Dropped from $4.99 to FREE!!!
318700.png

Pool Pro Online 3
"Namco’s Pool Pro Online 3 is easily one of the best."
http://www.touchgen.net/pool-pro-online-3-review

Play online with your friends anywhere in the world with Pool Pro Online 3!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pool-pro-online-3/id339318700?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Anyone who has this know if there's an offline mode? I'm rarely around Wi-Fi with my iPod Touch and didn't know if you can play against a computer opponent.

EDIT: Just read the touchgen review. There are AI opponents. Also like the fact that I play peer to peer with my son.

I don't frequent CAG all that often nowadays but this is one thread that I do try to visit at least daily.

My iTouch is filled to the brim with some great titles and all of them I was able to get for FREE (well, except for Plants vs. Zombies).

Thanks again, everyone. :cool:

[quote name='Wiendog']Can anyone recommend flick fishing or fishing kings?[/QUOTE]

Flick Fishing is great and makes good use of the accelemeter. I'm not even a big fishing buff and I find it fun. Don't know much about Fishing Kings, but I have no problem recommending Flick Fishing.

I ended up having to rejailbreak and now I have to sync my iphone for all my apps and music . My computer estimates it will tkae over 4 hours FML , but I just gotta love me some FREE apps :D

Bought SS4 for iphone yesterday, very impressed. I loved that it is kinda simplified for the iphone and even has a "special" button for easy special actions (aka, you don't have to do the roundhouse movements if you don't want). Totally worth the $7 for me.

Must try Hungry Shark one of these days.

[quote name='nightmare452']Bought SS4 for iphone yesterday, very impressed. I loved that it is kinda simplified for the iphone and even has a "special" button for easy special actions (aka, you don't have to do the roundhouse movements if you don't want). Totally worth the $7 for me.

Must try Hungry Shark one of these days.[/QUOTE]

if that game had multiplayer i'd buy it in an instant. It doesn't, so I prolly will never get it...

Thanks awp for the recommendation. I think I decided that I'm going to pickup fishing kings and hell on earth when I get home. Someone said in a review that fishing kings is like an old sega arcade fishing game which I loved so hopefully it'll be worth it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Hand of Greed is a blast. Just got it for 99 cents. Touch the gems but don't touch the blades. It's simple, but it works.[/QUOTE]

yeah the game is neat :D

Bought iGun Pro for 99 cents...

This is easily the BEST gun sim on the app store. I highly suggest it to everyone... includes slow motion firing... And I don't even like guns.

ATTENTION ALL CAG's

There was a CAG user who made the iphone/itouch app called " Podfisher " , and I need to find " you " . Could you please quote this or send me a PM if you can , THANKS !!

They have announced a few weeks ago that they are bringing Cammy to the iphone version as a free DLC. Im sure that means there will be more but most likely they wont be free. :(

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']As a heads up, it looks like additional DLC is confirmed for SFIV, though no details yet. If you are on the fence, I would probably grab it now, this sale is probably as low as the price will go for a while.

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/28/c...treet-fighter-4-dlc-three-day-sale-kicks-off/

Fingers crossed for more characters for free (at least the rest of the base SFIV cast).[/QUOTE]

They have announced a few weeks ago that they are bringing Cammy to the iphone version as a free DLC. Im sure that means there will be more but most likely they wont be free. :(

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Bought iGun Pro for 99 cents...

This is easily the BEST gun sim on the app store. I highly suggest it to everyone... includes slow motion firing... And I don't even like guns.[/QUOTE]

jesus christ you buy so many apps. I feel bad for your parents who pay for your college when you could help them but instead you waste your money

[quote name='j0dy77']Oh man, what a let down. I was expecting something completely different. Not knocking the game for what it is but my knee jerk reaction was the original version for the NES. That would have been some retro fun. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Duck Hunt is a terrible game. I posted it for Fire Thief. Its probably on his 10 best games list.

Won Impossible Game for free. Eugh. What a gag gift. Just a frustration/memorizing jumping game. I've played better flash games. Pity anyone who drops a dollar on that. I wish I could've just given that code to someone who might ACTUALLY like it.

Then I dropped a dollar on Saving Private Sheep ONLY because of SlideToPlay's 4 star review. Gotta learn to trust them less. Also because I also dropped a dollar on Sexy Poker. Yeah, I'm a loser.

Sexy Poker is a surprisingly solid poker game. I'm no poker afficianado, but it was definitely a good way to get a quick run of Five Card Draw off.

Saving Private Sheep... I don't know what they're trying to do with the aesthetic, but it's a GET THE MACGUFFIN TO THE GROUND SAFELY BY BREAKING BLOCKS physics puzzler. Not liking it too much but I'm barely out of the tutorial world.

TEXTTUMBLE - down from $1.99 to FREE
Havent tried it yet but it has good reviews.
681910.png

The falling letter word game that has you spelling and smashing your way through the English language. As fun as it is educational, you'll place falling letters next to each other to form words. When you chain those words together, you create huge point explosions! If you've enjoyed games like WordsWorth, Text Twist Turbo, Boggle, Scrabble, Wurdle, Word Fu or Bookworm, you'll love the fast paced strategy of TextTumble.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/texttumble

I picked up SF4 and am very impressed with it overall. I showed it off to a couple of co workers and they were amazed by the graphics. It makes for a great time killer on the rail to work.

[quote name='107proof']wow.. 31 out of 39 people gave it a 2 star or lower. Thanks but I will pass.[/QUOTE]
What. . .you want quality freebies?? Geez, I'd be posting a lot less. A LOT less. I just post 'em as I find 'em. Speaking of which, here's a decent little music/rhythm/puzzler title: Tune Runner Fusion (http://appshopper.com/games/tune-runner-fusion). FREE for one day only.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Gonna go ahead and chime in that Espgaluda 2 is AWESOME. Worth every last penny.[/QUOTE]
I wish they hadn't almost doubled the price on this. I wanted to get it when it first came out but it wouldn't even download to my 3G Touch. Now that I've tried the Lite version, I really want to get the full game. Unfortunately, my CAGness won't abide by the extreme price hike. As soon as they drop this pup on sale (and you know they will), I'll be all over it.

Yeah, EB is straight.

Hell on Earth is REALLY good though, worth the 99 cents.

Monster Truck game is fun as well.

Motocross Challenge is still good and fun.

iGun Pro is BEAST... You can shake your iPod to fire, and that is awesome.

bread's done
Back