iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Enclave Soldier']Toucharcade, no offense, is a forum populated by kids. Positive feedback from them is kinda irrelevant if you consider yourself a "hardcore" gamer, or own other platforms.[/QUOTE]
Do you often make stuff up in hopes that people will believe it, or is this just an aberration from sane posting?

Yeah TouchArcade is a good source to use. Developers frequent the board so you can have your suggestions/criticisms heard.

However, I feel there is an overabundance of achievement whores over there. I'd rather get opinions from people who aren't basing a game's value on whether or not it has openfeint integration.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Yeah TouchArcade is a good source to use. Developers frequent the board so you can have your suggestions/criticisms heard.

However, I feel there is an overabundance of achievement whores over there. I'd rather get opinions from people who aren't basing a game's value on whether or not it has openfeint integration.[/QUOTE]

I think the biggest thing you do have to be careful of over there is a lack of negative takes on games. Since the developers are usually active in their own games' thread a lot of people are probably nicer than they would be otherwise and limit negative things to suggestions for updates. Also, promo codes can be given out like candy in exchange for reviews, so people are more likely to be positive. However, it's not because they are kids as suggested above and good games with legit reviews are very easy to spot, usually just by looking at the thread count and how quickly posts come.

I don't know why I was thinking Angry Birds was free at one point in time. I've been playing it today and I love it. It's definitely worth .99! Thanks to everyone who reccommended it!

Fly Kiwi Fly was free not long ago, $0.99 now, and I really liked it after getting a chance to play (pretty much all of it) this weekend. There's not a lot of game there, but for what's there it's great. Tilt based controls that don't suck, really funny dialog, good art, nice music... it's a best of breed for what a casual iPhone game should look like. No virtual D-pad, the tilt controls are way less crappy than most, and don't require your fat thumbs covering up most of the screen for the majority of the play.

It's only a couple hours long if you get the hang of it and want to unlock most stuff, maybe longer if you don't, but for a buck big thumbs up.

I got Dogs Playing Poker... Lol I really like it! It has a Walrus. XD

For poker fans or not, this is sick at 99 cents. Goes to 3 bucks soon, get it now.

Monday site freebies:

Free App a Day is featuring another non-gaming title, Abstract Glowing Art (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=17&month=05) for the doodle painter in you.

Great App a Day has Snake Paris (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/snake-paris/), a sort of subset of the Snake Galaxy title.

Free App Calendar has a children's game called Aefo Alfie (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=170).

Bonus freebie: Flying Brothers 6-Modes-in-One! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flying-brothers-6-modes-in-one/id352975560?mt=8).

dogs playing poker is pretty friggin lame. the AI is so terrible. I seriously won EVERY HAND, non stop until i took everyone's money. i was purposely going all in with pretty dumb hands, and would always hit. makes no sense.

the animations also take too long for one hand. the free version of WPT is way better.

Dude it's a .99 cent novelty game, it's not called fucking Poker Simulator 2010 ... it's dogs playing poker and it's entertaining for what it is ;-p

Why do people get so offended when someone calls a deal in here shovelware? I mean, that's what a good deal of the app store is, and it's not a slam against you (unless you just so happen to be the developer of the game), just an opinion, and we're all entitled to those.

Chill out.

I was actually referring to etcrane's post, but it applies to everyone else that's replied to someone who has posted something negative about a deal in here.

To be honest, though, did you look at the screenshots for Dogs Playing Poker and not immediately realize that it was garbage? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

haha - I was excited about it (Rise of Lost Empires) only to realize I had already bought and installed it but never played it! Probably picked it up when it went 99c nearly a year ago. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight.

That makes me 5-for-6 on the gameloft freebies so far.

The only one I missed out on was the one they did around 5 AM. I'm hoping they decide to give "Hero of Sparta" away sometime this week. I'm not holding my breathe since they recently raised the price from $0.99 to $1.99, but it'd be nice.

I won a .99 game over on touch arcade in that hand of greed contest. Thinking about getting Angry Birds. Any recent .99 sales on good games, or good .99 games in general?

None of the Gameloft promos have really turned into keepers for me:

- Ferrari GT: not really into driving games, didn't find the tilt controls that great, looks pretty
- Castle of Magic: promising, but I'm really not into D-pad iPhone platformer games
- Real Tennis 2009: looks really nice, but the controls are garbage
- Bailout Wars: probably played this one the longest, but it's inferior to Zombie Smash or Knights Onrush in almost every way except comedic value
- Rise of Lost Empires: I think I paid $.99 for this sometime back, it's ok, the controls are a little fiddly and while it still lives on my iPhone (unlike the others), the appeal for getting back to it is low

I think I'm 1/6 on Gameloft. Figure I'm in the 2 hour timespan, might as well grab it, even if I never play it.

Am kinda hoping Dungeon Hunters goes on sale. I didn't realize it was something I might want back when it was $.99 in march, so I'm hoping I can pick it up at that price again (or cheaper) at some point.

[quote name='Smaxor']None of the Gameloft promos have really turned into keepers for me:

- Ferrari GT: not really into driving games, didn't find the tilt controls that great, looks pretty
[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of your reviews, but just wanted to mention that Ferrari GT has an option for touch controls. I'm not really into driving games either, but found it pretty fun after taking the tilt sensor off. Reminded me an older title like Outrun, maybe.

Addicted to Angry Birds all over again! Going through and not moving on until I get 3 stars on every level. Forgot how much of a fun challenge this game is.

it is a lot easier to play with the touch controls, especially when you put the driving wheel on.

I would assume it plays a bit better on the 3GS instead of my 3G. It was a bit choppy on mine, but looked decent

So I was going through my backlog of games last night, playing random games I haven't looked at for awhile and I have to say ... the Sims 3 is actually a really solid game now.

Not quite as full featured as the PC version but it didn't crash, was very smooth and I was really impressed spending a bit more time with it. It's at least as good as the original Sims on PC from back in the day. So if you're into the Sims, it might be worth checking out.

[quote name='107proof']Dood

Hit N'Run is a great game for $0.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks FireTh .... wait .. what the hell, 107proof!?! Are you saying the game is Beast?

Hit N' Run is a good game. I didnt say beast. I don't ever say beast. Whenever I think of beast I think of Milwaukee's Best and that taste like crap.

Hit N Run is a fun spin on racing and puzzle combined. I bought it for $1.99 and definitely have played it enough to get my moneys worth. For $0.99 its a steal.

Other $0.99 steals.

Flight Control - Old but still good, if you havent played it is a definite steal.
Angry Birds - Enough has been said about this one. Great game.
BackBreaker Football - great graphics and fun game.
Guerrilla Bob - Fun dual stick minigore-ish shooter
Fruit Ninja - fun, no brains needed, pick up and play game.
Airport Mania - fun time management game, hours and hours of gameplay.
Parachute Ninja -
Super 7 - Fun new concept on line drawing games. Puzzler. Needs more game modes but good 4 0.99
Monsters against Aliens - Fun shooter
Bird Strike - fun twist on doodle jump type game.
Freaking inkies

lol that's the same reason you'll never hear that word coming out of my mouth 107

unless i'm referring to a massive, whale-like female. I reserve that adjective for those purposes only

I'm going to recommend Dark Harvest for those who didn't know about it. It's a marble game with tons of levels and excellent art and music. It's only 2 bucks.

I got it a couple months ago and really loved it. Top 10 material IMO. It's very challenging and it has a kickass art direction. It's one of those few iPod games that actually feels like if it was developed by a real developer in the sense that it has a lot of polish.

bread's done
Back