iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jjoplinfan']Dark Raider S is free for a limited time.[/QUOTE]

I see it free when looking in the app store, but when clicking the game info it still says it's $2.99:bomb:

[quote name='flameo2000']I see it free when looking in the app store, but when clicking the game info it still says it's $2.99:bomb:[/QUOTE]
I just downloaded it (literally while typing this message), and it came up as free. I got it directly through my iPhone, not from my PC.

[quote name='FurryCurry']I need the names of everyone with the Hook Champ update. I want to try out the multiplayer (or is it just ghost trading) stuff that comes with the beauty that is OpenFient.

I beat all the rat levels. Not as hard as skull but the rat is blazing fast so you can't waste your shells. You'd better land a hit on that rat!

Yeah the pirate chick's gun is over priced. So strange. 1200 for level 4? You'll be done with the Rat levels before that.

Overall the new update is great and I look forward to more levels. They can even go beyond simple speed runs and slow things down for a more exploration minded game. It's possible![/QUOTE]
My OF is Khamous if you want. Also, yes I got the cannon after beating everything, but it'll probably be necessary if you're into speed runs.
Also, according to something I read, HC's maker is planning on making a robot that is not detected by those spirits, allowing for more exploration. And yes I also want more levels, even though to get through Golden Skull it took me like 20+ tries, lol.

[quote name='Khamous']My OF is Khamous if you want. Also, yes I got the cannon after beating everything, but it'll probably be necessary if you're into speed runs.
Also, according to something I read, HC's maker is planning on making a robot that is not detected by those spirits, allowing for more exploration. And yes I also want more levels, even though to get through Golden Skull it took me like 20+ tries, lol.[/QUOTE]

I DON'T want more levels if they're like Golden Skull.

[quote name='RollingSkull'] And, yeah, I recommend Hook Champ simply because it is unique... in the GOOD way. Actually quite fun when you get the hang of it. There are some problems with it (The time trial bullcrap is just bullcrap at times.) but I think it's a blast.

That said, paying too much more than $1 sounds a little scary. How far does the demo take you, by the way? It gets better when you are actually timing jumps that are paced decently well and you have the better equipment.

EDIT: The recent content drop bumped the price down to $2. May as well bite if'n you're considering it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick review Rolling. I bit on the $2 price tag. I love how I can buy a vitamin water without hesitating but hesitate between $1 and $2 app price. The cag in me shining through i guess.:lol:

I'll post my thoughts once I get some time with the game.

I don't recall seeing it mentioned but every RealArcade game is $.99 right now, except Twilight, which is free sponsored by best buy for a limited time.

I bit on Tiki Towers.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Minigore update 1.2 is available![/QUOTE]
Yes it is, episode 3 is out today and I really reccomend it, although many people dislike the game because they think it is just a childish fad, the game has a lot of charisma and this new update brought a lot more content to it (more characters to play as and tweaks in the gameplay) making it really worth the 99 cents. Not really a sale since it has always been at that price.

About HC's Golden Skull: I found the unforgiveness of it really entertaining, I enjoy more the hard but straight to the point levels than the more obscure hard to find the loot ones, like the rat ones, although I've really enjoyed every level of this game.

Picked up Wolfenstein since I'm a sucker for those games. If you guys had to pick just one addicting game that's great for just picking up anytime as a time waster -- what would you choose? Preferable something you keep coming back to whenever you're out somewhere and bored. Don't say peggle or some lame casual game like that because those just get boring quick. I burned out on Tetris long ago lol.

Jodou, I'd say Canabalt. Its randomness and quick play makes it a great portable game.
I'd put Dungeon Hunter, Blue Block and Bookworm near the top of my list -- though the latter 2 are probably "lame casual games."

[quote name='Malik112099']I cont get past level 2 of impossible on jet car stunts....this game is so damn addicting![/QUOTE]

Hell, I'm having trouble getting past the first level on Easy. I really love he game, but I really suck at it.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Jodou, I'd say Canabalt. Its randomness and quick play makes it a great portable game.
I'd put Dungeon Hunter, Blue Block and Bookworm near the top of my list -- though the latter 2 are probably "lame casual games."[/QUOTE]
$3 seems a bit steep for that game (tried the free flash version), but I'll keep watch. Reminds me of Neo hopping rooftops in the Matrix lol.
[quote name='RollingSkull']GET THE fuck OUT[/QUOTE]
I don't get how people are enthralled with Peggle. It's just so boring heh.

Ramp Champ is currently free for some reason. That game is easily worth the 99 cents I paid for it. If you don't own it already, go download for free.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Mass Effect Galaxy is the EA deal of the day (.99).[/QUOTE]

great price but I heard there are some slowdowns with this game. is that true?

It's funny how just a minor upgrade graphically, in my case, can make a game much better. I hated the lite version of Dark Raider and wouldn't have downloaded the full version even if it was free but I'm finding that I actually like the bump mapping/shaders of Dark Raider S, much like the Xbox versions of Doom and Thief. I really hope they're going to exploit what the 3Gs can do in terms of better graphics, specifically lighting ... If in fact it can do it.

Mass Effect Galaxy $.99

095701.jpg

095701_3.jpg

http://appshopper.com/link/mass-effect-galaxy

[quote name='hollowfreak']It's funny how just a minor upgrade graphically, in my case, can make a game much better. I hated the lite version of Dark Raider and wouldn't have downloaded the full version even if it was free but I'm finding that I actually like the bump mapping/shaders of Dark Raider S, much like the Xbox versions of Doom and Thief. I really hope they're going to exploit what the 3Gs can do in terms of better graphics, specifically lighting ... If in fact it can do it.[/QUOTE]

Although that's gonna be sad for us 2G (and even 1G) owners.

[quote name='nrfuller']Is Mass Effect Galaxy any good?[/QUOTE]

I read a couple reviews, that was enough to stop me from buying it. However I'm sure you could justify the purchase for $0.99, especially if you owned a 3G S.

[quote name='nrfuller']Is Mass Effect Galaxy any good?[/QUOTE]

No ... it is really really terrible ... I bought it during the Black Friday sale and felt a bit ripped off at 99 cents. There are so many better games out there, the production value and cut scenes / story aren't bad for it ... but the gameplay is horrific ... it really really sucks. It controls movement by actually tilting the phone ... which is stupid because you can't see the screen and be tilting it all over to move. As a tie in, it might be worth 99 cents for the story ... but as a game, it really really sucks ... it's just not fun ... at all.

I own a 3GS btw ... it still sucks ... it's not just the slowdown ... it's the fundamental game mechanics

[quote name='awp']Although that's gonna be sad for us 2G (and even 1G) owners.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have to be, they can make the games scalable to the hardware and technically they're already doing it. What's sad is the lack of support for 3Gs users, fortunately it's backward compatible but there's very few games that even support it. Games like Doom: Resurrection and Resident Evil: Degeneration would be prime examples of games that could incorporate better use of the new features but don't (to the best of my knowledge). Hell, if they wanted to be greedy, they might even be able to add 3Gs support as an in-game purchase.

To counter all of Canabalt's rampaging fanboys (Tip: Try the flash game. It's still free. See if you'll actually like it first.), I'd say if you want a timesink, I Dig It is a good way to go. It is a much more polished version of the flash game Motherlode.

ALSO SCREW YOU PEGGLE IS BETTER THAN SEX

Driver came out today! Pretty excited about this game but the controls look odd to me. Picked up Dragons Lair though. Anyone try Driver yet and can tell me how good/bad the controls are?

Damn, if they can do Driver, imagine all the potential for old PS1 games ... hello MGS, I'm thinking of you ... RE1-3 you'd be pretty fun to have along too ...

Mass Effect: Galaxy is $1. I jumped on it, it's decent fun.
I have a first gen touch. It slows down but it's still kind of payable. The mechanics are iffy, but hey, it's Mass Effect for like 3 hours! weeee.

[quote name='j0dy77']Thanks for the quick review Rolling. I bit on the $2 price tag. I love how I can buy a vitamin water without hesitating but hesitate between $1 and $2 app price. The cag in me shining through i guess.:lol:

I'll post my thoughts once I get some time with the game.[/QUOTE]

Now that I've had some time with Hook Champ I definitely think it was worth the $2. The controls work great and the gameplay is addictive. The game has tons of replay value, a great pick up and play anytime, can I beat my high score type game. The addition of OpenFeint and achievments adds a nice touch also.

On a sadder/venting note: My wife ran my iPhone through the washing machine last night. I will not be playing anything for a while.

Does anyone have experience with apple care? I actually purchased this a month or so ago as a deal with my wife's new phone upgrade. It might save my ass but want to know if "washing machine" is covered under the warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ickle Count was horrendous and I deleted it promptly after playing once. I am enjoying Green Finger. It has a nice art style and decent music.

Ickle Count looked so horrible I did not bother to download it. I get that it's a kids game (do you really want to give someone with trouble counting your Iphone/touch?). However, it looks like a crappy kids game.

The whole featured free game thing saved it because GreenFingers really is a pretty good game.

I have been loving the appventcalendar thing but I'm worried that they needed to fill up their list beforehand and have a few crappy games that are no better than what you see for free on any given day.

OpenFeint: FurryKing

[quote name='hollowfreak']Lol ... If Peggle is better than sex obviously you're doing something wrong! :lol:[/QUOTE]

No. If sex is better than Peggle than you are playing Peggle wrong. Gtfo.

bread's done
Back