iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']I just hope that they're going to give full disclosure about it in their app description, since not everyone reads IGN or CAG. I doubt it, though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed!

[quote name='Dimsdale']The EA sale app today is American Idol: The Game (.99). Meh. I never watch the show; doubt I will play the game.[/QUOTE]

Also Pandemonium.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
I tried the demo of Zombieville and it was unimpressive. The entire game seemed to be "hold right, tap shoot."[/QUOTE]
Yup I tried it too. OMG Pirates! is much much better.

Where's Waldo released for $1.99. Anyone biting? :lol:

Escape Away: The First Mission is free "for 24 hours only." Looks vaguely interesting and is rated pretty highly. I'll snag it out of curiosity.

Zombieville is all about weapons and ammo. Deciding when and what to buy, and conserving ammo or not. In the demo you don't get to much into that I suspect (I never played the demo). The game is a lot more fun once you realize that's what it's, in large part, all about. I haven't tried OMG Pirates! yet, but it's on my list, although I'm not sure I'm going to have as much fun with it as I was never really into side-scrolling beat-em-ups.

Thanks for the suggestion of Ragdoll Blaster, Malik112099. I tried the demo, liked it, and bought the full game. Definitely a fun physics puzzler and worth the $1.99

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yup I tried it too. OMG Pirates! is much much better.

Where's Waldo released for $1.99. Anyone biting? :lol:[/QUOTE]

$2 for Waldo nostalgia. Hmmm. No reviews yet either.

Anyone played Ravensword? or the second episode of Mystique?

I just finished Beneath a Steel Sky and am looking for another good adventure game

[quote name='jcp42877']Anyone played Ravensword? or the second episode of Mystique?

I just finished Beneath a Steel Sky and am looking for another good adventure game[/QUOTE]

Ravensword is pretty good and has received good reviews as well. Made the Apple best of 2009 list too

[quote name='Malik112099']Ravensword is pretty good and has received good reviews as well. Made the Apple best of 2009 list too[/QUOTE]

hmm, intriguing. $7 is fairly steep...i could get DA:O Warden's Keep DLC for that price..not sure if I should bite though. I actually still have Hero of Sparta, Assassin's Creed, and Wolfenstein RPG I have yet to start/beat on iTouch...

i wonder if Ravenholm will have a sale soon?

@jodou

zen bound is well worth it an it just dropped to $1.99 after being $4.99 for the longest time. You also get a free download of the soundtrack which is an interesting perk that I wish was more common, especially since the soundtrack is actually good.

[quote name='Don G.']Hey, what's the best site to keep track of app reviews. I know app shopper is good at keeping up with prices but how about reviews and stuff?[/QUOTE]

148apps.com/reviews

I like slidetoplay.com

Never visited 148apps but I've seen it mentioned in App Descriptions. Think I'll check it out now.

Also, if you like Zombieville, that new game Twin Blades is an interesting anime/manga twist on it. 99 cents for now too, going up in less than a week.

So I played SEED - Rise of Darkness last night ... I'm kind of on the fence about it to be honest. Graphics are nice, though not quite as smooth as something like a hand held Zelda game. The dialogue is really ... well, it's terrible, but then that's kind of typical in these games.

It's getting harder to judge with some of these games because iphone games are getting to the point where they can actually compete with DS & PSP games. While this is great, it's tough to rate them because in many cases, they are great for iphone games but kinda crummy when compared to the cream of the crop on DS or PSP.

Granted this game is cheap at $2.99 and I'd recommend it for someone interested in a decent RPG, but it didn't really hold my attention last night. Perhaps as I play more, I'll get a better feel for it ... but I'd say it feels like a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 right now.

[quote name='Don G.']Hey, what's the best site to keep track of app reviews. I know app shopper is good at keeping up with prices but how about reviews and stuff?[/QUOTE]
I trust IGN for wireless reviews. Levi Buchanan knows his shit. He's a definite pro, unlike many who write iPhone game reviews. I reviewed games professionally for 8 years, so I'd like to think I know a bit about the craft.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I trust IGN for wireless reviews. Levi Buchanan knows his shit. He's a definite pro, unlike many who write iPhone game reviews. I reviewed games professionally for 8 years, so I'd like to think I know a bit about the craft.[/QUOTE]

I used to like IGN until their site changed yesterday ... maybe I just need to adapt, but I can't even figure out how to get to the full review page anymore with just iphone reviews. Like the reviews, not digging the site upgrade at the moment ... it's like they downgraded the iphone section to the 'other' category and now it's more of a pain to find reviews, etc than it used to be.

Blimp is the appvent calendar game today. I paid for it when it released and don't regret it at all. Obviously everyone should at least give it a shot for free.

Wow - I'm really glad I tried the free Mac version of Stair Dismount before buying the iPhone game. Why in the world would anyone think it is worth anything more then free? I've already deleted it off my Mac.

Blimp seems pretty fun, though I've only played the tutorial and first level so far. It's kind of like choplifter. Definitely worth picking up for free!

EDIT: wow - how did I post this 30 minutes in the future? ;^)

I'm not sure it qualifies exactly as a deal, but Pac-Man CE is out for $2.99, with the level pack for $3.99. So total is $7 if you buy the full game (I haven't bought the expansion yet). They are implying that the price will go up, so I guess this qualifies as a deal. Anyway, so far I'm liking it. I never played the original so can't compare, but it's pretty damn fun and the controls work well. I'm trying out the dual d-pad controls, as that was suggested in the TouchArcade review, and while it's taking a little getting use to, I can see that these should work great with some practice, and they are working well enough for me already. It definitely is an improvement having dual d-pads to split the buttons up between your thumbs.

I stumbled across a game today when searching for a vector based drawing app. I'm surprised I haven't heard/read about it before. It's called PewPew, (not to be confused with Pew!Pew!) it's a vector based twin stick shooter like Geometry Wars and it's free. The controls are tight and it saves a replay along with your score in the high score section.

http://appshopper.com/games/pewpew-2

I follow someone on Twitter who says he loves the game (though there's no leaderboard currently?). I think if you can get used to one of the control schemes, this game is probably great.

Why Namco didn't just release the whole game for $5 (initial price) or $10 (full price) is beyond me. This $3 for 25% of the game is stupid.

Controls, you'll either find something that works or not.

Blimp is great. I recommend it.

Disagree with those who don't like the IGN redesign. I love it. Glad they finally changed it. Their previous design was only half-implemented which kept bugging me. The new one is very streamlined and works well for me.

[quote name='crunchewy']Wow - I'm really glad I tried the free Mac version of Stair Dismount before buying the iPhone game. Why in the world would anyone think it is worth anything more then free? I've already deleted it off my Mac.[/QUOTE]

It's meant to be a distraction ... for 99 cents I find it more than amusing if I'm just waiting and don't have time to engage in an actual game. Not to mention, the iphone version is a bit more fleshed out, with additional options. Sure it's not for everyone ... but its the simple things in life, like people falling down stairs, that bring me the most pleasure ;-p

Stair Dismount is hilarious. Plug your friends face on it and show them the game :p. Plus it's fun trying to see how many bones you can break *evil grin*
[quote name='FurryCurry']Why Namco didn't just release the whole game for $5 (initial price) or $10 (full price) is beyond me. This $3 for 25% of the game is stupid.

Controls, you'll either find something that works or not.[/QUOTE]

It's simple to understand really. iPhone piracy is high. By locking away most of the game with an in-app purcahse I don't think the pirates can (yet?) crack in-app purchases.

Also, this way the game is 8 bucks total, but what they give you for 3 may be worth it. At 8 dollars less people would be likely to buy it. If they try it at 3, enjoy what's there, they can then buy more to play. I would have preferred a free version with in-app purchases personally. But this works. And I'm sure when the sale goes away it will be 10 bucks total.

Hey, I'm not complaining about Pac Man CE's DLC nonsense. All it does is save me the money I would have spent buying the game and allows me to sample other, less crappy Iphone titles.

[quote name='etcrane']It's meant to be a distraction ... for 99 cents I find it more than amusing if I'm just waiting and don't have time to engage in an actual game. Not to mention, the iphone version is a bit more fleshed out, with additional options. Sure it's not for everyone ... but its the simple things in life, like people falling down stairs, that bring me the most pleasure ;-p[/QUOTE]

I haven't played these games in quite some time, but I remember enjoying truck dismount much much more than stair dismount.

I'm still undecided on Pac-man C.E. and Stair dismount. at $.99 I would get Pac-man C.E. in a heartbeat..

noticed defender chronicles is $2.99, 40% off for people who missed the black friday deal like me D:
seems worth it still at that price

[quote name='BlueScrote']I haven't played these games in quite some time, but I remember enjoying truck dismount much much more than stair dismount.

I'm still undecided on Pac-man C.E. and Stair dismount. at $.99 I would get Pac-man C.E. in a heartbeat..[/QUOTE]

True ... truck dismount is more fun, but stair dismount is actually a pretty great little app for 99 cents. It has a better interface than the pc freeware version, the camera is controlled by touch and you have 5 or 6 different types of stairs. You can also import any photos from Facebook or your roll and put them on the face of the dummy. Yeah, it's not an amazing game but it's entertaining and hopefully if enough people buy Stair Dismount, then they'll release truck dismount.

Kind of how I'm hoping people buying Raptor Copter will get that company to release the far superior Raptor Safari ... best free game ever

EA has two sale items today (.99 each): The Game of Life and Boggle (again). Is Boggle that good that they're running it on sale again or is it that lame and they're just trying to move it off the virtual shelf? Anyone have an opinion?

[quote name='etcrane']So I played SEED - Rise of Darkness last night ... I'm kind of on the fence about it to be honest. Graphics are nice, though not quite as smooth as something like a hand held Zelda game. The dialogue is really ... well, it's terrible, but then that's kind of typical in these games.

It's getting harder to judge with some of these games because iphone games are getting to the point where they can actually compete with DS & PSP games. While this is great, it's tough to rate them because in many cases, they are great for iphone games but kinda crummy when compared to the cream of the crop on DS or PSP.

Granted this game is cheap at $2.99 and I'd recommend it for someone interested in a decent RPG, but it didn't really hold my attention last night. Perhaps as I play more, I'll get a better feel for it ... but I'd say it feels like a 6 or 7 on a scale of 10 right now.[/QUOTE]

+1 on this. Well said and done.

My first impression on this game is mixed. The dialogue is let's say... silly. Would expect a little bit more, but hey, it's $2.99. Can't really complain much right? The controls seemed to be a little buggy, the enemies are super strong from the get go and if you're not on your feet, you're dead.

Maybe it just takes some time to get used to. I'll play it a little more and see what happens

I find Boggle to be a good enough port of the actual game, but I also really love those type of word games. ...and EA is (and will be) putting a lot (if not all) of the games that were previously cheap on sale once again. Sale does not = bad game.

[quote name='Kush']I find Boggle to be a good enough port of the actual game, but I also really love those type of word games. ...and EA is (and will be) putting a lot (if not all) of the games that were previously cheap on sale once again. Sale does not = bad game.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Thanks for the info. I love word games, too. For .99, I'll probably go ahead and pick up Boggle.

bread's done
Back