iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hbomb']Alive 4-Ever sales for $0.99 Don't think I saw any posting for this sales.

http://appshopper.com/games/alive-4-ever[/QUOTE]Oh this game is an absolute steal at $0.99. If you're into dual stick shooters and take to this came, you could easily sink 20 hours into it (or more) and multiple play throughs for 100%. Plus, it has local co-op via Bluetooth.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Robocalypse is going to be free today. High quality game, surprised it's free.

http://freeappaday.com/app.php?day=08&month=03[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Looks like it's still $.99 for me but will pick it up once the price changes.

Anyway, there was a game called TriTowers which was free for a day recently. Top notch game. Keeps me entertained in short bursts of time. Really enjoy unlocking the decks and customizing the screen. :D

Wildspace is free today. It's a decent game your sitting on a rocket flying through space trying to collect flying burgers. It's openfeint enabled. It's much better than openfeints game of the day today. What a waste.

[quote name='mis0']Thanks! Looks like it's still $.99 for me but will pick it up once the price changes.

Anyway, there was a game called TriTowers which was free for a day recently. Top notch game. Keeps me entertained in short bursts of time. Really enjoy unlocking the decks and customizing the screen. :D[/QUOTE]

FYI, it says .99 on the price, but if you go into it, it should be free. Thanks!

Oh and just to state the obvious, PvsZ is incredibly good. I'm knee deep in it.

The NCAA March Madness On Demand app was released today.

This is the app that allows you to watch any of the NCAA Men's BB tournament games(save the play-in game) from your iPhone/Touch.

The price has been raised to $10 this year, up from $5 last year.

It appears the only change from last year is allowing iPhone owners to stream the live video feeds using 3G/EDGE instead of just WiFi. Sucks that Touch owners are paying $5 extra for nothing.

There's also a free LITE version that just gives scores and news.

I know this isn't a deal, but hopefully it's helpful to some.

Tramp Stamp, which was the OpenFeint freegameoftheday recently, actually isn't a bad little pick up and play game. A lot of people in the reviews don't understand how the game works. You tilt left and right to guide the ball, and you want to bounce in the middle of the trampoline to keep bouncing high and with control. Then tap anywhere above the trampoline to stamp with the ball, and attempt to stamp within the boxes that pass by. If the ball is getting too low, tap anywhere at or below the trampoline to bounce the ball higher on the next bounce, but doing this uses up some of your power. So does missing a box when you stamp or letting a box go by without stamping. You get one point per stamp within a box, double points if you stamp two boxes at once, triple for 3 at once, etc. When your power runs out the game ends. The graphics are super simple and the music is right from Tetris (I believe?), but it's fun for short bursts. I'm not sure I'd pay for it, but for free it was a worthwhile pickup. Obviously it has OpenFeint for achievements and leaderboards, which helps matters.

EDIT: Robocalypse is a must download as a freebie. It's a high quality RTS game. I bought it for 99 cents a while back and enjoyed it, though admittedly I've never quite gotten around to finishing it.

[quote name='Sagemoon']In for robocalypse. I'm surprised it actually went free.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I loved the DS game and I was a beta tester for the iPhone version. Its a shame neither version did well despite the positive reviews.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Ditto. I loved the DS game and I was a beta tester for the iPhone version. Its a shame neither version did well despite the positive reviews.[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to play it on my DS but never got around to it. Would you recommend playing it on the DS or iPhone? Better controls/graphics/updates on either?

[quote name='LuisRM']I've been meaning to play it on my DS but never got around to it. Would you recommend playing it on the DS or iPhone? Better controls/graphics/updates on either?[/QUOTE]

iPhone is the definitive version (the campaign is exactly the same). The graphics and resolutions are the same, but you get a bigger playing field due to the increased resolution, and there's an online multiplayer component, though that lacks players. Hopefully the free release will attract more online. There's also local multiplayer, and you can play with the AI in this mode for skirmishes.

To give you an idea, a comparison.

DS:
robocalypse_8a.jpg

iPhone:
robocalypse_2.jpg

Robacalypse is pretty high quality. I picked it up this morning and took a run at it. I'm surprised its free. Get in on it while you can.

[quote name='seanr1221']The controls kill tilt to live. That's why I don't like it.[/QUOTE]

This is actually one of the few iPod Touch games that the tilt controls actually do work. I've played a few where the motion controls were just plain horrible. I went into Tilt to Live with a little fear that it would also cause me headaches, but with all the praise it was receiving and watching some of the videos of it, I decided to give it a go. And, wow, am I glad I did. It's a great game IMO and totally worth the $2. Maybe a little too addictive...

But everyone's entitled to their opinion. Some people completely hate the Wii due to the motion controls, so I can understand. I actually get frustrated with a lot of iPhone/iPod touch games that use a virtual d-pad because it can be difficult to get the right response.

[quote name='manthing']The NCAA March Madness On Demand app was released today.

This is the app that allows you to watch any of the NCAA Men's BB tournament games(save the play-in game) from your iPhone/Touch.

The price has been raised to $10 this year, up from $5 last year.

It appears the only change from last year is allowing iPhone owners to stream the live video feeds using 3G/EDGE instead of just WiFi. Sucks that Touch owners are paying $5 extra for nothing.

There's also a free LITE version that just gives scores and news.

I know this isn't a deal, but hopefully it's helpful to some.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I can caught a few games.

hiding 48 hour xbox live code in my favorite thread. please only take if you are a silver! and post if you take it, or i wont do anymore. Thank Blur Beta for this one.

Your Xbox LIVE Gold 2-Day Membership trial code is below.
BBTDK-PY97X-C3YXP-DQV97-7X6YQ
To activate your Xbox LIVE Gold 2-Day Gold Membership free trial:
a. Connect Xbox 360 to a broadband internet connection.
b. In the dashboard, select My Xbox, Sign-In, Create Profile and then follow the on-screen instructions to create a new account.
c. Select your profile in My Xbox, select Join Xbox LIVE.
d. Follow the easy on-screen instructions, redeem your code and enjoy!

Anyone try fingerzilla? It's a pretty good game and it's free... Haven't checked the last couple pages if it was mentioned yet.

Opps nvm...I see it mentioned a couple pages ago... Still free though!

Not for me, but today's freeappaday game is Original Gangstaz and apparently you can also "type in the code: freeappadaydotcom into the redeem section to claim a free lotto ticket" for anyone who does decide to grab it.

Picked up PandaMania, just wish I had the time to put it to the test and post impressions, but based on impressions from TA, sounds like the trailer is a fair gauge for the game overall.

Flashback is on sale for $1.99, down from $4.99.

on a semi-related note, i would love to see out of this world (another world) and heart of the alien ported to iphone as well. creating a decent control scheme would be the hardest part because out of this world is pretty damn unforgiving.

on another semi-related note, i'm surprised they haven't ported Night Trap over yet. seems like a perfect fit.

Tilt to Live is definitely great, but I have to say that I'm having just as much fun right now with Bit Pilot, which is not getting the recognition it deserves. The leaderboards are relatively sparse (in the 150 range of people). It's a different and much simpler game then Tilt to Live, but it has the same one-more-time draw. And the music is awesome. Also awesome was something I got today that I've not seen in another iPhone game before - I was playing and got a message that I'd unlocked a wallpaper, which it put in my photo library. I think this was related to "cumulative score", but I'm not sure. I set it as my wallpaper and it's pretty cool. Nice touch!

[quote name='Malik112099']my hi score in Tilt To Live slipped to #14...damn it gets intense after the 5 minute mark[/QUOTE]

Don't fret... I'm way down at 708! I suspect I need to unlock the last weapon to be able to get scores like yours. Well, that and have talent. ;^)

EDIT: just noticed that, yes, wallpapers in Bit Pilot are unlocked by cumulative score. There is at least one more to unlock. I've got 95k to go or there about. Very cool idea.

[quote name='DtotheP']
on another semi-related note, i'm surprised they haven't ported Night Trap over yet. seems like a perfect fit.[/QUOTE]

Night Trap would be sweet. Brings back memories of my Sega CD.

A new de Blob was released yesterday (I think) for $2.99 which is $1 less than the original de Blob that's still selling for $3.99. Anyone have impressions?

Just picked up PandaMania and it's really fun. It's a nice cross between tower defense and castle defense genres. I really like the power ups and arrow control, too. I've only played the first couple of levels but strategy and that "just one more level" mindset is already starting to take hold. Many thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='LancerEvoX']iPhone is the definitive version (the campaign is exactly the same). The graphics and resolutions are the same, but you get a bigger playing field due to the increased resolution, and there's an online multiplayer component, though that lacks players. Hopefully the free release will attract more online. There's also local multiplayer, and you can play with the AI in this mode for skirmishes.

To give you an idea, a comparison.

DS:
robocalypse_8a.jpg

iPhone:
robocalypse_2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info! That does look much better. I'm going to start playing it after I finish PvsZ.

[quote name='iowaholdem']A new de Blob was released yesterday (I think) for $2.99 which is $1 less than the original de Blob that's still selling for $3.99. Anyone have impressions?[/QUOTE]

If done with the right controls, that could be a killer app.

[quote name='iowaholdem']A new de Blob was released yesterday (I think) for $2.99 which is $1 less than the original de Blob that's still selling for $3.99. Anyone have impressions?[/QUOTE]

If done with the right controls, that could be a killer app.

I've been following this thread for a while and just wanted to say I picked up tilt to live from your guys recommendation. I did so because I picked up angry birds and it's my favorite game on the iPhone. Again, from your guys recommendations. So I will post later with my review of tilt to live.

[quote name='crunchewy']Tilt to Live is definitely great, but I have to say that I'm having just as much fun right now with Bit Pilot, which is not getting the recognition it deserves. The leaderboards are relatively sparse (in the 150 range of people). It's a different and much simpler game then Tilt to Live, but it has the same one-more-time draw. And the music is awesome. Also awesome was something I got today that I've not seen in another iPhone game before - I was playing and got a message that I'd unlocked a wallpaper, which it put in my photo library. I think this was related to "cumulative score", but I'm not sure. I set it as my wallpaper and it's pretty cool. Nice touch!

Don't fret... I'm way down at 708! I suspect I need to unlock the last weapon to be able to get scores like yours. Well, that and have talent. ;^)

EDIT: just noticed that, yes, wallpapers in Bit Pilot are unlocked by cumulative score. There is at least one more to unlock. I've got 95k to go or there about. Very cool idea.[/QUOTE]

ill give bit pilot a look

After playing tilt to live for only 5 - 10 minutes I can alteay say I'm addicted. Such a great pick up and play type of game with PERFECT controls. The game is also somewhat forgiving sliding past those red dots. It's the type of game where you say to yourself "ok, just one more game" because you know you can last longer; it's just a matter of time.

[quote name='mkernan']Street Fighter IV should be out some time tonight (for $10):

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/09/street-fighter-iv-available-on-iphone-tonight/

Not a sale... just sayin'. If any brave souls jump on it, let us know how it is.[/QUOTE]

out now...I couldnt resist despite its price, Ill post impressions later

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/street-fighter-iv/id354655665?mt=8

edit: brief first impressions (I'm not a big fighting game fan). I have a 3rd gen touch and the game looks pretty nice, I did notice some slow down every once in a while, but for the most part pretty smooth. There are 8 characters and a few different modes. The controls seem to work OK, they take up a ton of the screen so your fingers do get in the way. According to the tutorial you can adjust their location and opacity. From what I can tell, the game doesn't save your progress in arcade mode if you exit, which I think is a pretty big ommision for an iphone game. Again, Im not a huge fighting fan so keep that in mind and I'll probably be in the minority on this, but I don't know if I'll play this very much, gonna give it more of a chance though. I'd imagine fighter fans will like this if they don't expect too much from a fighter with touch controls. From my brief time with the game, I didn't see any glaring flaws in the game play.

Just bought SFIV. I really like it. The controls are as good as they can be on the iPhone, not ideal but they are at least responsive. No Seth when you beat the arcade mode though, instead you're treated to a trailer for SSFIV.

sparkle, one of the best, if not best zuma clones is on sale for .99 from 2.99. If you don't have stoneloops(which is no longer available) this worth checking out.

[quote name='mailman27']Mission: Deep Sea is on sale for 99 cents. It's a 3-D Ocean Exploration game from Chillingo where you play as a sea turtle. Pretty great 3-D environments.

http://appshopper.com/games/mission-deep-sea[/QUOTE]

Think I'll be getting this one for my son. He loved the recently free Tap Fish so I think he'll go for this one as well.

[quote name='caltab']sparkle, one of the best, if not best zuma clones is on sale for .99 from 2.99. If you don't have stoneloops(which is no longer available) this worth checking out.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the Sparkle heads up. I remember looking at it when it was full price and thinking it was a tad pricey (since I already have Zuma on my regualr iPods). Three bucks may have been a bit 'spensive, but .99 is a no-brainer. Downloading it now.

bread's done
Back