iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='@minigore']Don't update Minigore to latest episode, there's a save game bug! Wait for a fixed version![/quote]
A new Minigore update is out, but do not update! You will lose your save file and your paid downloadable characters! Wait for a fix!

Everyone, go check out APP BEAST. This is the next big thing!!! It's 99 cents, and has over 60 apps in it!!! I LOVE it!!! It's awesome!! I want to see it make it to #1!!!

[quote name='iowaholdem']A new Minigore update is out, but do not update! You will lose your save file and your paid downloadable characters! Wait for a fix!
[/QUOTE]
Seriously?! I JUST downloaded that update.

It's not like I care that much, but COME ON!

689440.png
Marple has dropped to FREE from $1.99.

If you like logic-type puzzles, get this one. It is WELL worth the price with more levels than you could ever hope to accomplish in a lifetime.

1,000,000 fiendishly clever puzzles to play so don't expect to run out of them any time soon! At 3 minutes / puzzle, 1 hour / day = ca. 137 years of puzzles!

[quote name='IcBluScRn']not sure if it was listed before but I see that the simpsons arcade game is on sale at 99c is it worth it?[/QUOTE]
It's fun for what it is, but it is not the classic arcade game.

^It's the first game I've paid for and it is well worth the 99 cents. If you've played the old school arcade one then you'll love this one.

Kinda wish EA would have made this on consoles with multiplayer instead of the crappy one they made.

[quote name='crunchewy']Espgaluda II gameplay video has been posted! It's in Japanese, but it shows the game. Only thing is this new tap bullets to turn them into crystals thing looks *way* too easy. It's unclear what limits there are on use of that, but the limits don't seem to be much. On the other hand that's just one mode in the game and it does look like the game controls precisely. I can't wait for April 10th!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-Jaz1oRAU&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: anyone know Japanese and care to translate at least some of this?[/QUOTE]

just a heads up if you're interested in this, its going to be on sale when it comes out on april 10th for $4.99 its normally $8.99

[quote name='emeraldgsl']If you've played the old school arcade one then you'll love this one.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

I played the hell out the arcade version in the summer of '91, and this isn't anywhere as good as the original. It's very slow, and doesn't play exactly the same.

Now, it's not a failure like last years Turtles IV 're-imagining', but it isn't as good as the original.

How are apples DRM policies in general? If you buy something do you own it? In general does it transfer between devices pretty well? Just looking for a little general info on how they handle/view DRM.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How are apples DRM policies in general? If you buy something do you own it? In general does it transfer between devices pretty well? Just looking for a little general info on how they handle/view DRM.[/QUOTE]

You're limited in the amount of computers you have tied to your account (I think itunes has a five computer limit), but I think it transfers between iphone/ipod touch and ipad just fine as long as their all associated with the same user account.

[quote name='Decker']You're limited in the amount of computers you have tied to your account (I think itunes has a five computer limit), but I think it transfers between iphone/ipod touch and ipad just fine as long as their all associated with the same user account.[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to deactivate one of your activations that way it doesnt count?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is there a way to deactivate one of your activations that way it doesnt count?[/QUOTE]

Only after you hit 5. So when you hit 5, you'll have the option in your account to reset them ALL. Then you can re-log in with the systems you want, to a max of 5 again. But the option to reset only appears when you have all 5 used up.

[quote name='WilliamG']Only after you hit 5. So when you hit 5, you'll have the option in your account to reset them ALL. Then you can re-log in with the systems you want, to a max of 5 again. But the option to reset only appears when you have all 5 used up.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, thanks.

[quote name='WilliamG']Only after you hit 5. So when you hit 5, you'll have the option in your account to reset them ALL. Then you can re-log in with the systems you want, to a max of 5 again. But the option to reset only appears when you have all 5 used up.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm thats not that bad. Are they pretty good at letting you pass games/music between platforms(like if you own a mac version you own the ipod version). Sorry for the questions, thing is I don't own an iphone/ipad but I think im going to get one in the next year or so as the prices drop...so Im debating creating an account and buying games that go on sale for $1 or less I want in anticipation for when I do get one. But I dont want to do this if things are tied to the exact device and not a general account/if apple has really restrictive DRM.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is there a way to deactivate one of your activations that way it doesnt count?[/QUOTE]

In addition to waiting to hit the 5 limit, you can deauthorize a machine just as easily as activating it. However, it must be done from the machine. So if your computer explodes or you swap out too much hardware changing the computer ID hash, that activation will be lost.

Also, you can only deauthorize all 5 once you hit the 5 machine limit once per year.

They just keep releasing garbage garbage games. I check AppShopper many times a day and all I keep seeing is garbage labeled with that stupid logo. Lately it's been these monster games. Man, I'm through with OF.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']They just keep releasing garbage garbage games. I check AppShopper many times a day and all I keep seeing is garbage labeled with that stupid logo. Lately it's been these monster games. Man, I'm through with OF.[/QUOTE]

Your frustration is misdirected... OpenFeint is merely the social gaming / acheivement platform that game devs can tie into. That whole free game of the day is just them featuring a game to help get some eyeballs on a dev's game. In other words, OpenFeint doesn't *make* any games, they just spotlight a free one each day.

PANDORUM
The game is now ON SALE! $0.99 down from $3.99

With the Expansion Pack in this newest update, you embark on Mission 6 and help Bower complete the final stages of the adventure. Will he survive to make it to Tanis? The fate of the human race is in your hands! An exciting survival mode is also included where you'll be able to blast as many hunters as you wish!

Looks like a pretty good shooter.
http://appshopper.com/games/pandorum

I've never used openfeint, nor have I updated an app. I don't feel like I'm missing out on much :)
BTW, Marple is a nice little logic puzzle game, try it out!

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Ahh, that explains a lot. They are raping their name in the ass...[/QUOTE]

Not kidding. I'm hoping that tomorrow will bring an xbox live/psn experience. It's always been a high hope since apps started but I think with Windows Phone 7 coming in the fall with full Xbox live support they'll want to jump ahead while they can get an advantage. Unfortunately I suspect that their announcement of multitasking for the 3GS and iPad will be mostly it.

OMG! That Marple is a complete and blatant rip-off of the old Sherlock puzzle game I had for my 286. My dad was absolutely addicted to it for YEARS.

Of course I grabbed it as the pure genious that is Sherlock, but seriously.... I hope people realize this is, in no way, a unique puzzle game but the exact game with different tiles (original had faces and sign posts, etc)

http://www.kaser.com/sherwin.html

/\ that came out 15+ years ago btw

[quote name='donburns99']
689440.png
Marple has dropped to FREE from $1.99.

If you like logic-type puzzles, get this one. It is WELL worth the price with more levels than you could ever hope to accomplish in a lifetime.[/QUOTE]Downloaded it and already completely lost. Not even a brief tutorial to show you how it works. The help file is confusing as hell.

[quote name='107proof']PANDORUM
The game is now ON SALE! $0.99 down from $3.99

With the Expansion Pack in this newest update, you embark on Mission 6 and help Bower complete the final stages of the adventure. Will he survive to make it to Tanis? The fate of the human race is in your hands! An exciting survival mode is also included where you'll be able to blast as many hunters as you wish!

Looks like a pretty good shooter.
http://appshopper.com/games/pandorum[/QUOTE]

That movie was straight up Weird.

do you understand the clues and how to eliminate possibilities? once you get a hang of how to interpret the clues off the board, its just process of elimination. When you get the first few filled in completely, its basically a domino effect.

Free App a Day is featuring My Town (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=08&month=04) and Future Racer (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=43&month=04) along with a repeat of the social-consciousness app Cause World (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=46&month=04).
Great App a Day has the previously-featured Action Hero (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/action-hero/) and Free App Calendar is also showcasing Future Racer. Lotsa overlap today.

Here's your bonus title: Toxic Ball - Draw 'n GO edition is currently fee (http://itunes.apple.com/app/toxic-ball-draw-n-go-edition/id339641081?mt=8).

Yeah, so far, so good. iPhone OS4 is looking great.

But of course, we can't believe that it has zero impact on battery life. It may be efficient, but it's definitely going to use more battery life. Oh well, as long as they're doing it to the best of their ability, I'm pleased!

EDIT: Quick summary[quote name='Steve Jobs']So let's review. Multitasking, folders, enhanced mail, iBooks, enterprise, Game Kit, and iAd. And these are just seven of the 100 new user features. Now we are releasing a dev preview today.[/quote]Obviously the big stuff for us is multitasking, folders (WOOT!) and the Game Kit (Apple's answer to social gaming - goodbye OpenFeint/Plus+)!

Bad luck for iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G (and older), no multitasking for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woohoo for Game Center! They aren't promising that initially though, rather, "later this year". No big deal, though. Looking forward to it once available.

Just got through reading the live coverage on the new OS. Some good stuff there for sure. Multi-tasking and folders (finally!) are enough of an incentive for me to pony up. Hope everything works the way we think it will when it's released. . .

I'm happy to see folders and multitasking, though apparently I'll have to upgrade my phone to do the latter as apparently my 3G won't cut it.

I don't care all that much about the gaming network, but it'll be nice to have. I can't believe he tried to pull that "number of games" vs. the DS and PSP business, though. Cull all of the crap out of the app store, remove the millions of match-three clones and such and narrow it down to only the DS/PSP-quality titles, and that number wouldn't be nearly so impressive. It's getting better, but it takes some balls to try to make any claims based on what's out there now.

Is anyone else as completely put off by "iAd" as I am, though? Do. Not. Want.

Yes, the iAd will be annoying, but possibly less annoying than ads already are in applications. I'm not too put off by it though, considering I rarely play free games or use free apps that depend on ad revenue, so I'm sure I won't notice it much so long as developers don't boost their paid app profits by including iAds (which I won't support).

[quote name='arcane93']Is anyone else as completely put off by "iAd" as I am, though? Do. Not. Want.[/QUOTE]

I find it to be a welcome change, in my opinion. The existence of ads on the mobile devices is unavoidable, so at least this way (with Apple offering their own 1st-party platform), at least the ads will be functionally/technologically better.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Yes, the iAd will be annoying, but possibly less annoying than ads already are in applications. I'm not too put off by it though, considering I rarely play free games or use free apps that depend on ad revenue, so I'm sure I won't notice it much so long as developers don't boost their paid app profits by including iAds (which I won't support).[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I don't actually see ads in most of the applications that I use. Every once in a while there's one, but the majority don't have them. My fear is that having a built-in, easy framework for them, along with direct encouragement from Apple to include them, is going to result in ads becoming much more ubiquitous.

I don't think iAds will make ads more prevalent. Well, maybe devs will experiment at first, but if they put iAds in paid apps, they are going to get rated down to zero in short order, and that little experiment will be over fast.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Summer release of 4.0. Wish it were here today, but oh well.

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't think iAds will make ads more prevalent. Well, maybe devs will experiment at first, but if they put iAds in paid apps, they are going to get rated down to zero in short order, and that little experiment will be over fast.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Summer release of 4.0. Wish it were here today, but oh well.[/QUOTE]

Ya, this is one of the better aspects of the app store, developers have to respond to user review trends or they will get crushed, there is no way intrusive ads in paid games would fly in the app store environment. You will probably see it mostly in place of the link to the developers other games that are in most apps already.

I thought this thread is for iPhone/iPod touch sales?

But woo hoo! I'm excited for the 4.0 and multi-tasking!!!!

[quote name='arcane93']I don't care all that much about the gaming network, but it'll be nice to have. I can't believe he tried to pull that "number of games" vs. the DS and PSP business, though. Cull all of the crap out of the app store, remove the millions of match-three clones and such and narrow it down to only the DS/PSP-quality titles, and that number wouldn't be nearly so impressive. It's getting better, but it takes some balls to try to make any claims based on what's out there now.[/QUOTE]

I generally agree with you, but you do realize that "DS/PSP quality titles" include quite a significant amount of terrible shovelware games and match-3 clones, right? Going by sheer numbers is definitely misleading (especially since lite versions likely count as a separate game), but let's not pretend the PSP or DS library is an exclusive club for only the highest quality of games.

And Jesus H. Christ, is it about time we got folders. My one possible interest in jailbreaking is now gone.

[quote name='lunker']I generally agree with you, but you do realize that "DS/PSP quality titles" include quite a significant amount of terrible shovelware games and match-3 clones, right? Going by sheer numbers is definitely misleading (especially since lite versions likely count as a separate game), but let's not pretend the PSP or DS library is an exclusive club for only the highest quality of games.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not by any means saying that the entire DS/PSP library is brilliant. But if nothing else there's a significant cost of entry in producing carts and UMDs which keeps the worst of the crap out, and the retail sector does much of the rest by only giving shelf space to games that will sell. And both Sony and Nintendo have (so far, anyway) shown some level of restraint regarding what makes it onto their download services.

And sure, there are a number of match-3 clones on the market for the DS and PSP (still not nearly as many, though), and not all of those are great by any means. But I will submit that even the very worst of those is still likely better than at least half of the ones out there on the iPhone.

The problem is that the App Store is full of things which are clearly someone's first attempt at programming put out for the entire world to see and (if they're real suckers) pay 99 cents for. Do we really need 100 different apps to make our iPhones make farting noises? Are those very basic match-3 games in which all of the graphics are just squares really adding anything to the platform? Can we really consider these things a basis for comparison?

It's a conundrum. On the one hand, I applaud Apple's relative openness to putting things on the store, especially when the closed nature of the platform precludes any alternate means of distribution. On the other hand, though, I find using the artificially padded numbers which such a model generates as a basis for comparison to be disingenuous at best.

[quote name='lunker']And Jesus H. Christ, is it about time we got folders. My one possible interest in jailbreaking is now gone.[/QUOTE]

You said it. I can't believe it took them so long. Welcome to 1985, Apple!

Now what I'm wondering is whether we'll be able to do folders-within-folders (i.e., can I have a "Games" folder with an "RPG" folder within it?).

bread's done
Back