iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='caltab']http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id363969661?mt=8

Word of warning though, works only on 3GS, 3rd Gen iPod Touch or ipad....and apparently it is not actually working on 3RD gen ipods, but it supposed to with a patch[/QUOTE]

I wanted to pick this one up but didnt see anything on the iTunes page about a patch so glad to see one is hopefully coming in the future.

Also, I just started playing We Rule and am looking for some more friends to add that are playing it or any other games actually. Figured it was safe to ask on here since we still don't have a general discussion thread for the platform.

My Name on Plus+ is QuantamPulse

Also use the same name on Agon, OpenFeint, and Crystal if anyone would like some additional friends on those as well.

[quote name='Shan82']Hulu on the iPhone would be amazing! And I'm rather surprised they haven't done that yet.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they have. Hulu runs on Flash, so they'd pretty much have to start from scratch. If they could get Hulu up and running on HTML5 and ESPN jumped in as well, they would kill that FloTV* device completely.

*not that anyone is actually buying it anyway, but one can dream.

318125.png

TOUCH BANG is Free again.

Touch Bang was in the Top100 free apps in more than 30 countries!
Get it now!

You have become a member of special forces. Your mission is to rescue the hostages and exterminate the terrorists by bombing.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/touch-bang

I bought Dragon's Lair for 3 bucks... It is AMAZING. This is the first time I paid more than 99 cents for an app, and I feel great. So I plan to buy such greats as Canabalt, Hook Champ, PvZ, and more soon. :)

[quote name='Fire_Thief']So my friend bought an iPad, and brought it over tonight, that thing is AWESOME. You think you don't want one until you play with one. It's just great. Touch Grind HD is sickly. Also played with one in the Apple store for about 45 minutes haha. PVZ HD is great. I'm so buying me an iPad, however I wanna wait 1 year for the 2nd gens.[/QUOTE]
I completely disagree. I'm unimpressed. We've got a couple for programming/testing at work, and I spent a few hours with it. It's nice to check email on, browse the web, maybe play a game, but that's it. There are some great aspects to it, but they are far outshined by the shocking lack of versatility. The thing should have shipped with OS4...

[quote name='107proof']
037268.png

Across Age ™ EX
Epic 2D Fantasy Action RPG for your iPhone & iPod touch.
"close enough to Hyrule to make Zelda fans feel right at home" (www.appletell.com)

Play the first chapter of Across Age for FREE today!

Across Age EX in collaboration with www.FreeAppADay.com will be FREE today and today only.

http://appshopper.com/games/across-age-ex[/QUOTE]
Cool thanks for the heads up. Zelda is one of my favorite series, so I will definitely try it. Appears as if this is basically a lite version that they normally charge 0.99 for.

On a side note...played through Sword & Poker Lite and it was pretty lengthy, how many floors does the actual game have? I plan on getting it sometime soon, really enjoyed it. I have been waiting on a sale for weeks but it doesn't seem to be happening lol.

I appreciate the people that post the links to good/free games. My 2 week old iPhone is getting overloaded with apps. Not too many I play on a regular basis, but the ones I do I absolutely love

Anyone have experience with Wolfenstein RPG and Doom RPG? I'm thoroughly enjoying the former at the moment and would consider picking up the latter if it were as solid of a game. How are the visuals in Doom RPG? Wolfenstein RPG looks fine, but the objects in the game are really pretty poor, I'd hope that Doom RPG has better graphics.

[quote name='zeb06']On a side note...played through Sword & Poker Lite and it was pretty lengthy, how many floors does the actual game have? I plan on getting it sometime soon, really enjoyed it. I have been waiting on a sale for weeks but it doesn't seem to be happening lol.[/QUOTE]Actually, despite what the last user said, Sword & Poker actually has 36 floors, though the "story" ends at 27. I loved the game and played all the way through it over the course of two months. Since then, I've put a few more hours into the game just because it's simple concept is so well executed.

I'd like to see a Sword & Poker II that really steps up the visuals of the game. Same gameplay mechanics, but with the characters actually having battle animations.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Holy ish its free, thats awesome. I will still buy probably.[/QUOTE]

Man, I must be a cheap Ass gamer... I wouldn't pay $2.99 for that game! All you do is tap the screen to jump. Same thing over and over again. At $0.99 I would probably bite. I see it getting repetitive really quick. Sure there is that "just one more time factor" but not enough there for me to pay $2.99.

Maybe if they added Plus+, Agon, or Openfeint to unlock achievements, compare high scores with friends, etc... It would be worth an extra buck at $1.99.

[quote name='107proof']Man, I must be a cheap Ass gamer... I wouldn't pay $2.99 for that game! All you do is tap the screen to jump. Same thing over and over again. At $0.99 I would probably bite. I see it getting repetitive really quick. Sure there is that "just one more time factor" but not enough there for me to pay $2.99.

Maybe if they added Plus+, Agon, or Openfeint to unlock achievements, compare high scores with friends, etc... It would be worth an extra buck at $1.99.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I couldn't see why that game was even close to worth $3. No depth at all, just tedium, and even the gameplay is based largely on luck because you can't see far enough ahead to know if slowing down is advantageous or detrimental, and even if you could there still isn't enough to the game to be worth it.

Canabalt rubs me the wrong way. It is the EXACT WRONG direction for indie games to go and to see the sort of elevation it has gotten just hurts.

[quote name='Ronin317']I completely disagree. I'm unimpressed. We've got a couple for programming/testing at work, and I spent a few hours with it. It's nice to check email on, browse the web, maybe play a game, but that's it. There are some great aspects to it, but they are far outshined by the shocking lack of versatility. The thing should have shipped with OS4...[/QUOTE]

I'm extremely satisfied with mine. Lack of versatility? Not here. It's not a substitute for a desktop but it isn't meant to be, and I don't need it to be.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm with you. I couldn't see why that game was even close to worth $3. No depth at all, just tedium, and even the gameplay is based largely on luck because you can't see far enough ahead to know if slowing down is advantageous or detrimental, and even if you could there still isn't enough to the game to be worth it.

Canabalt rubs me the wrong way. It is the EXACT WRONG direction for indie games to go and to see the sort of elevation it has gotten just hurts.[/QUOTE]

I felt as you and others do, but I caved and bought it (it's only 3 dollars...not going to break the bank) because I was curious. And I'm glad that I did.

Yes, the mechanics are simple. But that's part of the beauty of it. There's a lot of concentration required and the iPhone version has a number of different obstacles it throws at you as well as an extra song (both added in the last update to the game). Still the tap to jump, and speed up/slow down to try and maintain your flight from danger. Something about the game is just so fun, I bought it 4 months ago, and still play it. That says a lot about how addictive it is -- it's something I know I'll be playing long after I tire of Plants Vs Zombies for example. And it's because of it's minimalism.

It's the perfect game for a phone, quick to launch quick to play. Great in the office, or on the toilet, on the couch during a commercial, in line somewhere. Really excellent minimalist design. It's what they set out to do.

And if it helps any, there's 2 guys that mainly worked on it, so imagine you're giving them both a buck, and apple getting a dollar for having it on the store. Are you really going to deprive yourself of a game that could be one of your most played for $3 dollars? The browser version is like Canabalt Lite. The iPhone version has enough change up in what you'll be leaping to to switch up the mechanics just enough to make it one of the most engaging games on the iPhone.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Actually, despite what the last user said, Sword & Poker actually has 36 floors, though the "story" ends at 27. I loved the game and played all the way through it over the course of two months. Since then, I've put a few more hours into the game just because it's simple concept is so well executed.

I'd like to see a Sword & Poker II that really steps up the visuals of the game. Same gameplay mechanics, but with the characters actually having battle animations.[/QUOTE]

What would make the S&P rock is online multiplayer. The addiction will become never-ending.... perhaps it's best they never add that =P

Here's your Sunday freebies overview:

Free App a Day has the previously-mentioned Across Age EX (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=11&month=04)
OpenFeint has the RPG title Fantasy Warrior Legends (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fantasy-warrior-legends-all/id356491199?mt=8)
Great App a Day has the previously-posted iRodeo (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/irodeo---crazy-bull-riding/)
Free App Calendar has the oldschool All-in-1 Board Games I mentioned earlier (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=115)

In other words, not much new this morning.

Here's a couple of bonus titles:
Minesweeper Boom! (http://itunes.apple.com/app/minesweeper-boom/id364599953?mt=8)
SlingShot Slash (http://itunes.apple.com/app/slingshot-slash/id351793980?mt=8)

[quote name='Nameless One']I felt as you and others do, but I caved and bought it (it's only 3 dollars...not going to break the bank) because I was curious. And I'm glad that I did.

Yes, the mechanics are simple. But that's part of the beauty of it. There's a lot of concentration required and the iPhone version has a number of different obstacles it throws at you as well as an extra song (both added in the last update to the game). Still the tap to jump, and speed up/slow down to try and maintain your flight from danger. Something about the game is just so fun, I bought it 4 months ago, and still play it. That says a lot about how addictive it is -- it's something I know I'll be playing long after I tire of Plants Vs Zombies for example. And it's because of it's minimalism.

It's the perfect game for a phone, quick to launch quick to play. Great in the office, or on the toilet, on the couch during a commercial, in line somewhere. Really excellent minimalist design. It's what they set out to do.

And if it helps any, there's 2 guys that mainly worked on it, so imagine you're giving them both a buck, and apple getting a dollar for having it on the store. Are you really going to deprive yourself of a game that could be one of your most played for $3 dollars? The browser version is like Canabalt Lite. The iPhone version has enough change up in what you'll be leaping to to switch up the mechanics just enough to make it one of the most engaging games on the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because I threw $1 at Sword and Poker and have a dozen other better games for that price range on the Iphone, including Hellkid, a game with considerably more substance than Canabalt that doesn't get played by me all that much either. Even Bejeweled is more engaging than this.

Canabalt just doesn't have anything approaching player engagement that even half of the old arcade games from the 70s do. It's a minigame for quadriplegics who are wowed by style over substance. It's a Warioware entry that goes on for 5 minutes too long.

And I'm not going to give these guys $3 because I refuse to be seen as allowing the makers of the game, and those watching them, to listen to the tongue-bathing from breathless dimwits like ActionButton.net and take indie games even FURTHER in the wrong direction.

Plus, this isn't worth $3. Anybody who actually bothered to go through Newgrounds or whatever flash gaming site they could find and sample all the delicacies could tell you that.

Superfall for 1.99 is a ton of fun. It's got a bunch of open feint achievements and dolls that effect gameplay to unlock. Haven't seen this one mentioned, but it's worth a purchase. There is a light version to try.

[quote name='SpazX']So Across Age EX is a demo? A demo that they normally charge money for?[/QUOTE]

yea it just a demo

[quote name='SpazX']So Across Age EX is a demo? A demo that they normally charge money for?[/QUOTE]It appears that, yes, Across Age EX is just the first chapter of the full $5.99 game. Apparently the full game lasts about 15 hours - and by the looks of the screenshots, it's really quite goregous.

One thing to note, though, if you download AAEX for free and enjoy it enough, you can unlock the full version from within the app for only $4.99 which is a dollar less than the full version sells for on the app store!

As a side note, I can not get Across Age EX to sync to my iPod touch 3G. Not sure what the issue is, buy last night as I was downloading the game, my computer died in the middle. I restarted my computer, continued the download then tried to sync and it wouldn't go. The error I got suggested I deauthorize/reauthorize my computer, which I did, but it still won't sync. I even deleted the game and redownloaded it. Anyone else having an issue like this?

EDIT: Got it installed. Deleted again and redownloaded.

Dammit, I'm waiting with bated breath the release of Dark Void Zero tomorrow and more and more free crap keeps rolling down the chute. How am I gonna find something to clear off to make room NOW?!

I know thi might not be related to iphone games but would anyone remind me what is the app to organize list games collection?i think it was mention here once but i totally forgotte what it was called. Thanks

[quote name='RollingSkull']Dammit, I'm waiting with bated breath the release of Dark Void Zero tomorrow and more and more free crap keeps rolling down the chute. How am I gonna find something to clear off to make room NOW?![/QUOTE]
Same here, Dark Void Zero was the only game that I wish I had a DSi for.

[quote name='62t']http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dark_void_zero_gameplay_clip_11.html?playlistid=5029

Which is kinda funny cause Dark Void Zero got better reviews than the real game[/QUOTE]

The opening sequence was awesome, I thought it was going to be like Call of duty Modern warfare 2. Then it moved on to the 8 bit nintendo looking version of something that didnt resemble the opening sequence at all. Kind of confused and let down at the same time.

Oh well. Maybe they will have a lite version I can try. Right now, I don't see where the excitement is. Something I definitely wont lose any sleep over tonight waiting for it.

Espgaluda 2 is incredible. Controls beautifully. In fact it almost controls too well - I completed the game with no continues on my first try, though on the easiest difficulty. It's definitely more challenging in Normal and Expert, though, and I'm not complaining at all there. :)

Also, thanks for the heads up on Pang Mobile. That's a definitely download for free!

[quote name='62t']http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dark_void_zero_gameplay_clip_11.html?playlistid=5029

Which is kinda funny cause Dark Void Zero got better reviews than the real game[/QUOTE]

That's a crappy choice of clips. The game is much better then that. Dark Void Zero on the DSi is quite fun. It's got an interesting story too as it was a lost game, sort of. I'm a little worried about how it will control on the iPhone, though. Anyway, I have it on the DSi, so I doubt I'll get it for the iPhone.

[quote name='crunchewy']That's a crappy choice of clips. The game is much better then that. Dark Void Zero on the DSi is quite fun. It's got an interesting story too as it was a lost game, sort of. I'm a little worried about how it will control on the iPhone, though. Anyway, I have it on the DSi, so I doubt I'll get it for the iPhone.[/QUOTE]

meant to use this instead

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/dark_void_zero_announcement_trailer.html

[quote name='crunchewy']Espgaluda 2 is incredible. Controls beautifully. In fact it almost controls too well - I completed the game with no continues on my first try, though on the easiest difficulty. It's definitely more challenging in Normal and Expert, though, and I'm not complaining at all there. :)

Also, thanks for the heads up on Pang Mobile. That's a definitely download for free![/QUOTE]

How'd you get it? I can't find it on the AppStore...

[quote name='chrisnsally']How'd you get it? I can't find it on the AppStore...[/QUOTE]

It won't show up if you search for it using a touch because it doesn't work on them right now...a patch is coming

Lt. Fly rise of the Arachnids just released by namco for 1.99, a match 4 shooter...looks intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7eqF8HMI8M

The opening sequence was awesome, I thought it was going to be like Call of duty Modern warfare 2. Then it moved on to the 8 bit nintendo looking version of something that didnt resemble the opening sequence at all. Kind of confused and let down at the same time.

Oh well. Maybe they will have a lite version I can try. Right now, I don't see where the excitement is. Something I definitely wont lose any sleep over tonight waiting for it.

bread's done
Back