iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Unstopabull']It's nice they are giving the games out for free but having to follow them all day for a two hour window for a game that I may have already seems like a real pain in the ass. Is $5 or so really worth my time?[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes it is.

Not sure about the answer to your question, 107, but Twitter just bought the app Tweetie, which is very well received, and have stated they will change it to become the official Twitter app. May be worth seeing what they do with it.

I personally use the free version of Twitteriffic, and I think it's pretty good. Not sure if there are notifications - I've never looked, and my only real problem is I can't find an easy way to start following someone new.

[quote name='DtotheP']Side note:

questlove from the roots tweeter earlier that he didn't know addiction until he started playing angry birds on iPhone.[/QUOTE]

The man speaks the truth. That F'n game...without hesitation, it's the best $1 I've spent on gaming, anywhere, anytime.

[quote name='Thrakker']Not sure about the answer to your question, 107, but Twitter just bought the app Tweetie, which is very well received, and have stated they will change it to become the official Twitter app. May be worth seeing what they do with it.[/QUOTE]Also worth mentioning that Tweetie, once rereleased by Twitter, will be free. So that'll be the best option for you.

How about 5pm cst. You know they're going to be during the day when we all work. Maybe if it's a decent game during lunch i'll hit up some local place with free wifi. Did that once when soosiz was on it's last day being $.99 at a bar watching the blackhawks.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Also worth mentioning that Tweetie, once rereleased by Twitter, will be free. So that'll be the best option for you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I forgot to mention that.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I use Echofon myself, but it don't push.[/QUOTE]I use Echofon as a Firefox add-on, which is completely bad ass. Though I use Tweetie 2 on the iPod.

Daisy Mae's Alien Buffet is free, but between Meteor Whatever, Idracula, Minigore, and Guerilla Bob, it does not even come close to scratching an itch these games don't cover.

:(

I dropped my iPhone from a desk about 3 feet tall. It landed on the back so the screen didnt break/crack. It turned itself off which I thought was fine because it was a 3 foot drop. I turned it on and now the screen isnt responsive. I can NOT do the slide to unlock or even use the screen . Do you think if I bought a replacement screen if it would work ? Because the screen looks fine but it doesn't work

R.I.P. iPhone 5/9/10
" You will be missed greatly "​

[quote name='107proof']What's the best Twitter app that provides push alerts for when an update is posted?[/QUOTE]
I'm using Echofon. It claims it has universal push. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. . .

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']:(

I dropped my iPhone from a desk about 3 feet tall. It landed on the back so the screen didnt break/crack. It turned itself off which I thought was fine because it was a 3 foot drop. I turned it on and now the screen isnt responsive. I can NOT do the slide to unlock or even use the screen . Do you think if I bought a replacement screen if it would work ? Because the screen looks fine but it doesn't work

R.I.P. iPhone 5/9/10
" You will be missed greatly "​
[/QUOTE]If it doesn't show physical damage (cracks, dents, etc) and it's still under warranty, definitely take it to an Apple store before retiring it. If they can't definitely point the finger at what has caused the screen to stop working, they'll have to replace it for you. Otherwise, consider a full power down or even a full restore.

Slient Hunter Mobile has waded ashore in the U.S. after being available overseas for a couple of months. It's also dropped in price from $4.99 to .99 for an unspecified time (http://appshopper.com/games/silent-hunter-mobile).

Silent Hunter Mobile
Master the ocean as a German U-Boat captain in WWII.

Engage in fast paced naval attacks to hunt and destroy Allied ships in WWII. Command authentic and accurate U-boat models and fight historical enemies. Explore the Atlantic, experience objective driven gameplay and upgrade your U-boat to become an ace.

[quote name='iowaholdem']If it doesn't show physical damage (cracks, dents, etc) and it's still under warranty, definitely take it to an Apple store before retiring it. If they can't definitely point the finger at what has caused the screen to stop working, they'll have to replace it for you. Otherwise, consider a full power down or even a full restore.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tips but I am not under warranty :bomb::bomb:

- I guess I could always give Craigslist a try :whistle2:#

EDIT/UPDATE : I put my phone in DFU mode and then restored back to 3.1.2 ( instead of 3.1.3 ) and now it works :D

Oh happy day (oh happy day)
When Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
Washed my sins away (oh happy day)

(La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la)
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
(La, la, la, la, la)

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']thanks for the tips but I am not under warranty :bomb::bomb:

- I guess I could always give Craigslist a try :whistle2:#

EDIT/UPDATE : I put my phone in DFU mode and then restored back to 3.1.2 ( instead of 3.1.3 ) and now it works :D

Jesus washed (when Jesus washed)
Washed my sins away (oh happy day)

(La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la)
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
(La, la, la, la, la)
[/QUOTE]

Congrats

I never send twitter updates to my phone (a limited text plan plus an old flip phone will do that), but I'm making an exception for gameloft while their sale is going on. Hopefully we get some good games, but hey it's free!!!

Today's Free App a Day feature is the word game Moxie (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=10&month=05). Tiki Totems is also being highlighted (http://www.freeappaday.com/app.php?day=35&month=05).

OpenFeint is showcasing Blue Skies Air Force Academy (http://itunes.apple.com/app/blue-skies/id289256879?mt=8).

Great App a Day has the zombie apocalypse title Paradise: The Beginning (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/paradise-the-beginning/).

Free App Calendar has the interactive not-quite-a-game FlOOid (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=157).

For all you aspiring illusionists, Essentials of Card Magic: Card Basics is FREE for the next few days (http://www.appshopper.com/education/essentials-of-card-magic-card-basics).

"Free for a limited time! Until 5/15, pick Essentials of Card Magic: Card Basics up absolutely FREE!

Prepare to amaze.

Never before has there been an iPhone application with such a great value. Magic is a dying art. Less and less people are becoming interested because it's less and less accessible. Those who do want to learn magic end up spending hundreds of dollars on the simplest of concepts. Not anymore. Essentials of Magic: Card Basics brings nearly an hour of video instruction by professional magician, Quinn Nelson. For just $1.99, you get over $75 of magic you won't find for the same price anywhere else.

This isn't your "Pick A Card" type of magic. This has real sleight of hand, and real routines used by Criss Angel, David Blaine, Brad Christian, Lance Burton, and many other professional magicians.

Included are 8 sleight of hand card basics that will help you catch any magician "In the Act," as well as teach you 2 tricks, and a full card routine."

And once again, Kotaku is giving Edge the world's longest bj http://kotaku.com/5535107/itunes-ch.../full+(Kotaku)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Played it, gotta say, not impressed ... I've spent .99 cents elsewhere on better apps. The controls were slightly annoying, the colors reminded me of a bad 80's arcade game ... and it's not particularly 'revolutionary' though I'll give it credit for interesting ways to manipulate the level as the game progressed.

Bottom line, if EDGE was the only iPhone game I ever played, I would definitely not rush out to buy an iPhone or Touch. Feel free to disagree or defend EDGE, but I just found it to be slightly above average and nothing that blew me away or held my attention hostage from the digital crack that is Sword & Poker or even Chaos Rings.

I've been playing edge for a day or so now and think it's ok. I'm not regretting spending $.99 at all. I am not that far yet but I can see that the game is going to get hard and challenging. And this is what I expect out of a puzzler. I just hope that it doesn't become as hard as "crayon" because I got stuck on one level and have never returned.

[quote name='cougar65']Too bad I'm at work and can't buy it. Anyone know a way to buy the app and just download it later?[/QUOTE]
I use 3G Unrestricter to let me buy large apps from work.

[quote name='cougar65']Too bad I'm at work and can't buy it. Anyone know a way to buy the app and just download it later?[/QUOTE]

Find a wifi hotspot? Find a computer with iTunes installed or talk an IT staffer into letting you install it? Set up some sort of remote desktop solution for your home computer to avoid this issue in the future?

Okay, maybe Echofon does push correctly. I don't know. F'n Twitter whacked my "following" status on Gameloft and won't let me add them. WTF?

EDIT: Apparently, a programming bug allowed certain unscrupulous types to force people to follow them. Twitter responded by zeroing-out everyone's "follow" status while they work on a fix. Great timing. . .

Echofon push works as advertised, but I'm pretty sure you can't get push from a specific user posting. You get pushes only from mentions and messages. I think there are others that you can set up more complex rules for pushing, but I guess Echofon doesn't want their server overloading by getting tons of pushes every time something new shows up in your timeline.

[quote name='Escher0']I use 3G Unrestricter to let me buy large apps from work.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately my phone isn't jailbroken. And I can't jailbreak it because the data connection port is busted.

[quote name='cougar65']Unfortunately my phone isn't jailbroken. And I can't jailbreak it because the data connection port is busted.[/QUOTE]

So how do you charge it?

Tried to grab Ferrari but its asking me to be close to wifi. Cant do that till I am off work. Wish there was a way for me to snag these w/o iTunes or wifi.

If you download an app on the computer, you can re-download it on any number of ipads/ipods as long as you log in through the account you purchased the app with.

I didn't see this until late and started downloading Ferrari at around 2:55. It started downloading for me for a few minutes, then suddenly stopped and gave me the "item is currently being modified message".

Now, I'm not sure whether if I try to re-download it if it will see that I purchased it during the free period or not. Not that $1.99 will break the bank, but there's other iPod touch games I'd rather buy for that amount.

Tap Top has dropped to FREE (http://www.appshopper.com/games/taptop).

"TapTop will test your skills in tapping the screen at appropriate positions. Pop little balls that conform to the big ball color until there is no little ball left on the board. But take care with obstacles that block your touches. There are metal bars, pieces of wood, glass and spirals to distract you.

TapTop has 7 phases with 7 levels in each phase, totalizing 49 levels. The difficulty grows with the levels, and last level of each phase is always a challenge."

bread's done
Back