iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lukami']fire_thief, stop recommending horrible games....ugh i see your annoying posts everywhere[/QUOTE]

lmao you are going to have to get used it, because he strong willed and wont stop. Trust me listen to his Rap Music, he wont stop even when its necessary.

Yeah I know I'm usually a lurker but I see everything he posts here -_- And on other forums that I usually visit. I wasted my money buying this horrible game he recommended and ever since then.... >_>

[quote name='Lukami']fire_thief, stop recommending horrible games....ugh i see your annoying posts everywhere[/QUOTE]

ha do what everyone has suggested quite a few times and set him to ignore, i can tell you how it has vastly helped me to enjoy this thread more.

also thank you anathema728 for the heads up on Snot Rocket. I saw this on the app store a few weeks ago and was really curious about it but i believe it didnt have a demo. Cant go wrong with free to try it out fully.

Missed car jack streets, but some are saying it's garbage.

You're garbage, I miss when this thread recommended sales of good quality games....not these freeapp games. Rarely are they ever worth wasting my time

[quote name='Lukami']You're garbage[/QUOTE]
why so rude

if you find someone and your horoscopes don't match, there's an ignore function, as pointed out multiple times

[quote name='anathema728']why so rude, so many people have pointed out there's an ignore fuction[/QUOTE]

It is not rude, he speaks the truth and only the truth

Lol, it is pretty rude of me though. I'm just sick of him constantly recommending garbage. I dont want him to screw over any CAGs like he did to me

[quote name='anathema728']You should really still do your own research after a recommendation. Youtube easily has a bunch of hands-on reviews that show gameplay. I mean what's another 3 minutes of research?

edit: out of curiosity, what game?
[/QUOTE]

I have checked the games that he recommended just to see what kind of garbage games he's suggesting and what people are saying on him is true or not.
Sometimes they do not appear on Youtube, not even a trailer, or at least they didn't at the time when his supposedly false recommendations were made.

Ignore feature will only work on those who are aware of his actions but it won't prevent from other innocent users who don't know about this getting what other CAGs like Lukami got from him.

You really can't save your progress on Dragon's Lair? What is up with that. How much time to I need to set aside in order to play it from start to finish?

EDIT

OK I guess you just have to press the home button to save your progress. I was expecting it to be an ingame save option.

Anyone try Cobra Command at .99 cents?

[quote name='erectiontown']i wish space ace would go on sale as well[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Really hope they drop Space Ace one of these days.

I'm an old school arcade gamer and .99 for Dragon's Lair is a great value. It is a fun play through a few times while learning the game and trying to set high scores with great animation. When I think about how many quarters I dumped into that arcade, .99 is easy to fork over.

I have a couple questions perhaps someone here can help me with.

- I'm considering buying Chaos Rings. I bought an iTouch in July 2009 (So I believe it's 2nd Gen if I'm not mistaken) Are there any issues running the game on this unit?

- I bought the expansion for Pac Man CE (in App) I recently had to reset my iPod Touch because it wasn't backing up/synching properly, which eliminated all my save data (which didn't make me happy as you can probably guess). Is the in App purchase tied to my account that I downloaded it on? I would like to redownload that expansion, but I don't want to pay another 4 bucks.

[quote name='8bitlover']Castle of Magic went free about an hour ago. So should be up for free about another hour.[/QUOTE]

If you hadn't posted this, I would never have seen it. Thanks, I'm 3 for 3 on the gameloft free games, but tomorrow that stops as I am almost sure I cannot check my touch until around 6pm at the earliest.

[quote name='doodofdoods']son of a, I was awake at 5, I just didn't expect them to hold a sale at that time. this is worse than the steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. Well, I was awake at 6.

I thought they were going to hold the sale sometime in the afternoon like before. Grrr.

Anybody else getting pissed at Gameloft's promotion, seriously would it kill them to run these for half a day or longer periods, I mean 2 hours in the middle of the night, why bother?

[quote name='prayformojo']Anybody else getting pissed at Gameloft's promotion, seriously would it kill them to run these for half a day or longer periods, I mean 2 hours in the middle of the night, why bother?[/QUOTE]

The don't want to give these out free, but to show how "nice" they are, they only offer 2 hours. Especially during the day when most people are probably busy and can't check or download the games for free. Horrible selection of games so far, even though I have had them all for free, they were games I would never have downloaded otherwise, and I already deleted the first 2.

[quote name='prayformojo']Anybody else getting pissed at Gameloft's promotion, seriously would it kill them to run these for half a day or longer periods, I mean 2 hours in the middle of the night, why bother?[/QUOTE]

Well, the past two days have been during the day. Even though I missed out on the one this morning, I am not going to complain. Because, they didnt have to do it to begin with. So anything I get free during the promotion is good with me. I would have liked to get the one this morning, but oh well. Thats life. I'm not going to be pissed at the company because it was early in the morning this time and wasnt convenient for me.

Just be happy they are giving free stuff away, a lot of companies dont do that. Be happy for what you get for free, not angry at the company because you missed one.

[quote name='crunchewy']Dragon's Lair is really a pretty terrible game. It's just a repeat the scene over and over until you get the entire pattern game. At least we're not paying 25/50 cents a try. Of course the animation is great, but the game?[/QUOTE]

Works for God of War. :)

The Gameloft promo is pretty stupid. I've yet to be able to take advantage of any of them. Maybe that's the idea!

The value in this thread are the recommendations, nothing is free, the time I waste downloading and trying out some of these free apps of the day has real cost to it, so I appreciate the feedback everyone provides and try to jump on only the ones that seem to get a good response from the users on this thread.

I have found that the OpenFeint free games seem to be of the best quality and stay away from anything that Jirbo makes.

wow no love for the west coast gameloft? still it's a very generous promotion. You really can't fault them for whatever and whenever they decide to put up for free. Not only that but they probably sell to more than the western market, so I guess it makes sense that these could happen anytime.

[quote name='prayformojo']The value in this thread are the recommendations, nothing is free, the time I waste downloading and trying out some of these free apps of the day has real cost to it, so I appreciate the feedback everyone provides and try to jump on only the ones that seem to get a good response from the users on this thread.

I have found that the OpenFeint free games seem to be of the best quality and stay away from anything that Jirbo makes.[/QUOTE]

The thing is a lot of those games are free is because no one played them and they want to build up feeback.

Gameloft states in their twitter that they want the promotion to benefit everyone around the globe. So our 4am here is 4pm somewhere else. That is the reason for the random "free" times. Just be prepared to constantly look at their twitter and/or here to see when and what is up for grabs. We still have another week of this so there are plenty of possibilities that you will get more freeness and maybe even like what you get.

I for one have missed the first game and todays game so for those that were lucky enough to get them, at least enjoy what you have.

[quote name='Billy Jean']Gameloft states in their twitter that they want the promotion to benefit everyone around the globe. So our 4am here is 4pm somewhere else. That is the reason for the random "free" times. Just be prepared to constantly look at their twitter and/or here to see when and what is up for grabs. We still have another week of this so there are plenty of possibilities that you will get more freeness and maybe even like what you get.

I for one have missed the first game and todays game so for those that were lucky enough to get them, at least enjoy what you have.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought iTunes does region locking. (I.E. you need a US credit card / US gift cards to get stuff from the US iTunes store.) If it is the case having times outside of 'normal US hours' is a bit silly.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought iTunes does region locking. (I.E. you need a US credit card / US gift cards to get stuff from the US iTunes store.) If it is the case having times outside of 'normal US hours' is a bit silly.[/QUOTE]

Not really sure about that, I was only posting what they like to say in their twitter. Basically "their" reason as to why they are doing such odd hours for a 2 hour daily sale. But again free is free if you can grab them at their crazy times then you have benefited from it even if you may or may not like the game.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought iTunes does region locking. (I.E. you need a US credit card / US gift cards to get stuff from the US iTunes store.) If it is the case having times outside of 'normal US hours' is a bit silly.[/QUOTE]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Gameloft releases their games in more than just the US store. If that's the case, then people around the world can download the games from their own stores with their own country's credit cards.

The Gameloft promotion is just that, a promotion. They are intentionally making it harder to get the games, and it is spread out so people in one area or another have a better chance at particular games and we have a harder time getting them. Gameloft is one of the top developers and anything they give out is a huge plus, no reason to complain either way. Hopefully this generates more interest in Gameloft, there are some really horrid "games" that make it in the top 25 paid from time and time and developers like Gameloft are the ones that deserve to be up there. I only got Chuck Norris but far be it from me to complain.

Also, to the incessant posting of free games... I personally haven't put a paid game on the touch in forever. I suppose it's kind of a challenge to find the best free games but I really don't see the need to pay for games with the constant influx of free games. Mind you, I know there are some real gems out there like GTA and Chaos Rings but I really don't feel like the iPhone is the best platform for games anyway, so I'd rather emphasize the advantage of the platform, which is all the free games. I do think we need to do more to weed out crap games, or post reviews or something though, just because something is free doesn't mean it's worth posting about (however, it's much less harmful than recommending a crap paid game). There's no better deal than free though and this forum has been helpful in pointing out some of the gems.

To illustrate my point here are some of the free games I have (I do not believe any are currently free):
The Creeps: http://toucharcade.com/2008/12/29/the-creeps-tower-defense-is-challenging-and-fun/
Robocalypse: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPho...le+Mayhem/review.asp?c=15696&srch=robocalypse
Tiki Totems: http://www.appshouter.com/tiki-totems-iphone-app-review/
Yumsters 2: http://www.gamespot.com/iphone/puzzle/yumsters2/index.html (my wife loved this game)
Samurai: Way of the Warrior: http://appmodo.com/5043/samurai-way-of-the-warrior-review-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/
Atlantic Sky Patrol: http://www.gamespot.com/iphone/puzzle/atlantisskypatrol/review.html
Aves: http://toucharcade.com/2009/09/23/aves-an-intriguing-tech-demo/
Battle Bears: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Battle+Bears/review.asp?c=15837
Blimp: http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/blimp-review
Let's Golf: http://wireless.ign.com/articles/965/965051p1.html
MiniSquadron: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/MiniSquadron/review.asp?c=16860

That's far from a comprehensive list of course, games on my touch are playing a constant game of survivor. I really lack the motivation to get more than free games. If a game is truly great, it probably is best on another platform anyway to be frank (you know, like one with buttons) and I have more decent games than I have time to play right now as it is.

[quote name='KrAzY3']
Also, to the incessant posting of free games... I personally haven't put a paid game on the touch in forever. I suppose it's kind of a challenge to find the best free games but I really don't see the need to pay for games with the constant influx of free games. Mind you, I know there are some real gems out there like GTA and Chaos Rings but I really don't feel like the iPhone is the best platform for games anyway, so I'd rather emphasize the advantage of the platform, which is all the free games. I do think we need to do more to weed out crap games, or post reviews or something though, just because something is free doesn't mean it's worth posting about (however, it's much less harmful than recommending a crap paid game). There's no better deal than free though and this forum has been helpful in pointing out some of the gems.
[/QUOTE]

I agree and disagree with you. There have been some postings of some pretty shitnasty games but at the same time that whole saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure" sounds rather pertinent here. You never know who might be enjoying those so called trash games. I know there have been some games that someone posts and others say is crap and I end up finding myself liking very much. So its kind of a double edged sword.

Also thank you for posting some of your recommendations/examples. Some of which I havent heard of which piqued my interest so I looked them up. Unfortunate for me, they are all no longer free. However a sequel to one of the games you listed IS:

MiniSquadron Special Edition is FREE
http://www.appshopper.com/games/minisquadron-special-edition

have to say, castle of magic is gameloft best free game soo far. definitely worth at least 99cents if it goes on sale to that price. i hope they give out dungeon hunter for free(i doubt it) since i missed out on a 99cent deal apparently.

[quote name='Billy Jean']I agree and disagree with you. There have been some postings of some pretty shitnasty games but at the same time that whole saying "one mans trash is another mans treasure" sounds rather pertinent here. You never know who might be enjoying those so called trash games. I know there have been some games that someone posts and others say is crap and I end up finding myself liking very much. So its kind of a double edged sword.

Also thank you for posting some of your recommendations/examples. Some of which I havent heard of which piqued my interest so I looked them up. Unfortunate for me, they are all no longer free. However a sequel to one of the games you listed IS:

MiniSquadron Special Edition is FREE
http://www.appshopper.com/games/minisquadron-special-edition[/QUOTE]
Tiki Totems is still FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tiki-totems/id336926063?mt=8).

spirit is pretty good...control becomes an issue when you want to go to the bottom of the screen. Tilt To Live style controls would be nice but overall it is pretty good.

[quote name='Decker']Castle of Magic.[/QUOTE]

Good thing I already had it......bought it for 99cents back on thanksgiving.......... great game... hopefully tomorrow's time is a bit better for us

BombZ dropped to Free from $1.99 4.5 stars on the app store.

273496.png

Explode bombs in two gameplay modes: Action and Puzzle. Check our video at www.overmindgames.com

** Action Mode **
This mode requires quick thinking with a new twist on match-3 games. Explode the bombs making combos and prevent them from reaching the bottom of the screen. If you have trouble, use your weapon!

** Puzzle Mode **
This mode requires lots of thinking. Place the bombs strategically, and then explode them in a chain reaction to destroy all objects on the levels.

** Features **
-- 20 Action levels and 40 Puzzle levels
-- If you are stuck in a Puzzle level, you may skip it
-- 3 different types of guns on Action Mode
-- Many types of bombs with different behaviors on both modes
-- You may listen to your own music

http://appshopper.com/games/bombz

[quote name='107proof']Just be happy they are giving free stuff away, a lot of companies dont do that. Be happy for what you get for free, not angry at the company because you missed one.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but why should the people that are not able to take advantage of their promotion due to the inconvenient times they are doing the promotions be happy that they are giving away free stuff? And a lot of companies do give away their apps for free. This topic is proof of that. It's awesome that people are able to take advantage of the free apps from gameloft, good for them. There are a lot of us who can't and why should we be happy about that?

bread's done
Back