Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free App a Day also has iGameDock today (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/igamedock/id373239991?mt=8). I totally looked right past it earlier. Here are the details:

iGameDock in collaboration with www.FreeAppADay.com will be FREE today and today only.

GET 3 QUALITY GAMES 2 weeks and STAY INFORMED of ALL THE NEW PROMOTIONS ON THE APPSTORE for ONLY $0.99 ONE TIME FEE!!!!

★★★★★New Issue Comming Soon★★★★★
Yes, We have submitted the new issue, it is coming soon.

@@PRESS RELEASE@@

"Well worth checking out for 99c, €0.79 or 59p, even without the promise of three new games in two weeks time." --PocketGamer

"In an attempt to market games in a short attention span world, Dreamsky has released iGameDock featuring a twice monthly changing game lineup." --148Apps

# What's Hot in Game, Racing of US store.
# New and Noteworth in 73 stores such as US, UK, Japan...

FRIST ISSUE 02, June 2010

Particle Wars – FULL VERSION
A shooting game to describe battles between transformed particles Various special effects and characters appeared in this game are constituted with particles.
12 STAGES in total and is constituted with a one-to-one fight with the boss of enemy.
60 CHARACTERS in total, and the character of hero is brought up in two ways now.
3 WEAPONS upgraded from basic weapon.

Doodle LeftorRight - FULL VERSION
Doodle LeftorRight is a Doodle style causal game.
CHALLAGES mode available.

Electron Zero - FULL VERSION
** and Top 25 in Russia, Italy, Poland, Taiwan, USA, Holland, Germany **
Get ready for the most addictive memory game for the iPhone!
Follow Electron Zero through twists and turns, with explosions and bonus points for speed.

Let's look forward to the next issue!

On top of providing quality games, will provide more free game info.

From the people who did Plushed comes Boostball, currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boostball/id375200251?mt=8#).

"You're in control of boostball. Knock your rivals out of the way and win the tournament! Tilt your device left and right as you guide boostball past enemies and into the goal! Collect powerups to smash anything that comes in your way! This isn't your mother's soccer, this is boostball!"

Seriously, did EA think dropping Tiger Woods PGA Golf to 99 cents for Father's Day sounded like a good idea? Coudn't they have made it in honor of the US Open instead?

has anyoe used office to go?
just wondering if it's worth the 8 bucks for office docs. I don't think I'd use it but there are times I'd like to. any cheaper alternatives maybe?

also, tiger woods for 99 cents. sweet!

The dual-stick shooter Critical Wave has dropped to .99 again (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/critical-wave/id357008398?mt=8).

"Critical Wave is perhaps the most intense dual-stick shooter on the iPhone and iPod touch. This game will give you hours of fun, as you blast your way through endless waves of enemies and battle giant bosses. Go get it now!

☆ FEATURES ☆
- Bosses that keep growing each level
- Many enemy types and mini bosses
- Upgrades and powerups
- Online leaderboards and in game ranking
- The sharpest graphics available on the iPhone
- Varied and intense gameplay, guaranteed to give hours of fun!"

I've now got no new iPhone 4 upgrade coming my way, but I do have a brand spankin' new 2 year contract for my current iPhone. Thanks AT&T!

Now I'll be on the phone with them again tomorrow for another hour or so. Sigh. Regardless, I'm screwed on getting one by the 24th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap, Free App a Day has another quality title (which I previously paid for) in Freaking Inkies (http://www.freeappaday.com/napp.php?id=206). Definitely worth the download.

"Beware! Silly colorific creatures are loose in your iPhone/iPod Touch!!!

The wacky monsters invaded your library and splashing them with colorful paint shots is the only way to get rid of them!
Aim and shoot using the right mix of colors and an awesome control system using Tilt and Multi Touch!

Chase the Freaking Inkies through 100s of levels with over 10 different game modes:
- Shoot them all
- Avoid Casualties
- Sniper
- In the dark
- Zombies!
- Jackpot
- And many more!"

Play virtual marbles with the game Oh Marbles! Free until June 22 (http://appshopper.com/games/ikeepsies-the-classic-marbles-game)

"Oh Marbles! It is the only classic marbles game on the App Store that plays like the real game of marbles you played as a kid. Play dropsies and actually drop the marble. Shoot marbles out of a ring. Win new marbles sets. We even feature real marble designs from artists who make hand made marbles."

@Ramstoria:

I bought Quickoffice during a recent sale. It tends to drop around $7. It doesn't support editing PowerPoint files yet (though it's a planned free update), but documents to go does, though I've yet to see D2G drop below $12. D2G is also ipad native.

Better keep this topic higher on the 1st page ... I hate seeing the Android topic get higher up occasionally ;)

Oh uhm ... on topic ... Iron Man 2 now has a free lite version ... nice graphics, even if it's a terrible game (still probably better than the console versions)

Good job ectrane. I'll take over Dimsdale's position in his absence.

The OpenFeint Free Game of the Day is "AR Monster" (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ar-monster/id362702814?mt=8

This application is for ONLY iPhone3GS.
The current version does not function correctly on iOS4.
We are working it on iOS4 now.

------------------------------

Search for hidden monsters from all over the world through your Camera!

AR Monster is a Role Playing Game using the Augmented Reality technology.

A monster will appear in the world taken through the camera. Search for it by pointing
the view finder in various directions!

Different monsters will appear due to the use of the GPS function, so change of location means completely new monsters. There maybe monsters that appear only in certain areas!?

Tap the appeared monster to start up the battle!
Attack their weak points by using the 6 types of weapons wisely.

Once the monster is defeated, they are registered in the "Book of Sealing".
Thus creating your own collection of Monsters!
Will you be the one to gather all 600 monsters to complete the Book of Sealing!?

AR Monster uses your current location as reference.
The monsters will not properly appear if the GPS Usage is turned off.
Be sure to turn on the GPS function.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Appshopper reports Tilt to Live is free.

That's right, Tilt to Shaqfuing LIVE.

Get on that, like NOW.[/QUOTE]

Tilt to Live is still free, probably through the end of today. Seriously, if you don't have it you need to download it. It's the best iPhone game I've played.

Appshopper reports Bit Pilot is free for the day. Can tick another one off my watch list.

Slide to Play liked this one and STP is reliable in my book.

I love Bit Pilot. Love it even more than Tilt to Live, though they're both similar. Everyone needs to grab Bit Pilot - badass chiptune music, great trackball-like controls and that Geometry Wars trancy vibe with cool pixel art.

Bit Pilot is awesome! Great game with great chiptunes music, and you should definitely pick it up while free. I hope making it free for a period of time gives this game the recognition it deserves. It certainly deserved more sales then it got. Anyway, get it now!

Also, I was actually treated really well by AT&T customer support today, and my troubles are resolved. I don't have an iPhone coming to me, but at least I don't have a new 2 year contract without having a new iPhone coming to me! While on hold the guy I was working with would cut in every few minutes to give me updates on what was going on and why I was on hold. I have to say that it was rather nice. At least in so far as being on hold can be nice. I've now pretty much decided to take off on Thursday and try to pick one up at the local Apple store. I wonder how early I'll need to get there to ensure getting one (and a 32 GB one in particular)?

Great App a Day is showing A Quest of Knights Onrush for its freebie today (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/a-quest-of-knights-onrush/).
"This is a promo game made based on Knights Onrush characters and graphics - it's free and fully functional. However, it's totally different kind of a game. You control one character and your mission is to force through hordes of enemies using your sword."

Free App Calendar has KillStreak Defense, another game programmed by a teen-aged wunderkind (http://www.freeappcalendar.com/details.php?id=215).
"The objective is to try to get as high a score you can by destroying blocks coming at you, with accelerometer controlled projectiles. Along the way you gain different killstreak powers. In each game there will be a certain color block you cant hit (given before game) and you cant let a block go by or you will lose a life!"

Fly Away has dropped from .99 to FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/fly-away/id371180815?mt=8).
"This game is dangerous! Once installed on your iPhone you will forget everything else. You must be careful! This is not a game for everyone, only someone are able and capable of driving (Mr. Fly) as far as possible, where almost nobody can get there, where Stranger things happen, where ... not all is known."

The retro shooter Anomaly is currently on sale for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/anomaly/id315287610?mt=8).

"Save humanity by defending Trinity from the attacks from nearby anomaly space in this action packed free roaming top down shooter.

Controls:
+ Left Pad for flight control
+ Right Pad for gun control
+ Shake to Bomb
+ Tap game area to Pause

Killer Features:
+ Play in Landscape or Portrait Mode!
+ More than 50 challenging missions across 11 Anomalies
+ 3 Arcade Modes:
Classic - shoot the baddies to get the best score
Timed - keep playing for a set period of time
Objective - collect cargo and destroy power cores
+ 14 Awards to be won by accomplishing various goals throughout the game
+ Automatic integration of your music/in game music."

My first attempt to download it was met with an error almost at completion... makes me a sad panda. Attempt numero due underway and will hopefully be met with success.

[quote name='Kush']iOS 4 is officially available and I can't wait to get my hands on it! :)[/QUOTE]
Manohman, I can't wait to get home now. This news actually has me just short of giddy. My Touch has been an unstable mess as of late and I've been counting down till Thursday (thinking that's when they were going to release v4). Now, I just have to wait another 5 hours!

is anyone having the update take forever?
im still at backing up ipod pop up been on it for about 12 mins not moving an inch

[quote name='joker______']is anyone having the update take forever?[/QUOTE]
It's been going rather slow for me too... I just hope this attempt doesn't error.

Buggy/broken apps under iOS4 + 3G iPhone (for me):

BargainBin (nooo) - table views are all messed up and search doesn't work
BofA mobile - horribly slow, bad table views
Creeps - CRASH
Pro Zombie Soccer - CRASH
PandaMania - CRASH
Crooked House - unplayable, slow -> CRASH
iBlast Mokie - CRASH
Inkies - slooooow

Actually a lot of games that are using either Agon, Crystal, or +plus seem slower/crashy. I'm actually not a big fan of any of the middleware game frameworks but Open Feint seems the least f'd up right now.

Honestly, unless you have a big need for folders on 3G, I may wait until the next release. iOS4 in general has seemed to slow almost everything down.

I'm debating if I should wait until I get home and update to 4/backup on my home PC and native itunes account, or just do it here at work on my work PC.

Is anyone seeing issues reported with the upgrade screwing their phones up?

I haven't tried many apps yet, but for me... the iOS 4 update has turned every picture I have into an ugly piece of pixelated shit.

I'm going to update here at work, but it warned me that there are purchase apps/songs on my iPhone that aren't in iTunes. I wasn't sure if that mattered seeing how I don't sync here, but just in case I'm transferring them to my iTunes here (right-click the iPhone in iTunes and select "Transfer Purchases") Probably not necessary, but I figured I'd be safe rather then sorry. I also previously backed up on this Mac. Only thing is that transferring all my purchases is taking a long time....

[quote name='Ronin317']Looks like I'll be offloading all my photos first.[/QUOTE]
Yep, that does the trick. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself [I was driving myself a wee bit crazy... and I was just being a moron the whole time].

I have a third gen touch but....

When I click "Update" under my iPod's tab it says "This iTunes is up to date (9.1.1)." But obviously I want my iPod updated...

[quote name='CONMAN999']I have a third gen touch but....

When I click "Update" under my iPod's tab it says "This iTunes is up to date (9.1.1)." But obviously I want my iPod updated...[/QUOTE]
You have to have iTunes 9.2 installed before you can do the iOS4 update.

I *really* want folders. . .but I don't know if it's worth it if all my games start crashing. Most of my stuff is okay under 3.x. It would just be nice to be able to search for stuff without my Touch blacking out.

[quote name='Dimsdale']You have to have iTunes 9.2 installed before you can do the iOS4 update.

I *really* want folders. . .but I don't know if it's worth it if all my games start crashing. Most of my stuff is okay under 3.x. It would just be nice to be able to search for stuff without my Touch blacking out.[/QUOTE]
Oh I didn't realize there was a new version of iTunes. Thanks man.

The download is taking too long so it doesn't look like I'll get updated here at work. Oh well. I'll try from home tonight.

Anyone know of a list of games that have been updated for iOS4? In particular ones that now support fast switching? I suppose such a list would be silly, though, as I imagine we'll start seeing a ton of them in the days to come. It's going to be update-mania.

i was lucky enough to get an order in last week on the first day of pre orders. a charge popped up today from att for the new phone. i hope thats a good sign that mine will be arriving thursday.

im debating on updating to ios4 for the next few days or if i should just wait until i get the new iphone.

I kind of hate the multi-tasking feature. I forgot that was even a feature and had probably eight apps running in the background at once. I don't want to be forced to be self conscious about closing apps when I'm done.

[quote name='Kush']I kind of hate the multi-tasking feature. I forgot that was even a feature and had probably eight apps running in the background at once. I don't want to be forced to be self conscious about closing apps when I'm done.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to close them. They don't take up any memory as I understand it. It's essentially a save state. Somebody else can correct me if wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Lucky me, the download finished with about 7 minutes before I have to leave for the bus. I sure hope this install finishes within 3 more minutes. :)

from what I can tell it seems that every september Apple talks about a new iTouch. So I am just wandering do you all think the new iTouch will take the shape " more squarish " of the iPhone 4 ?

Multitasking in iOS4 is not what you are used to on say a regular computer. Think of it this way:

When you close an app in iOS4 it flash freezes (backgrounds) the state of where you were at in the application. The app will continue to "live" in this state as long as its memory footprint is low enough, otherwise the system will fully shutdown the app (just like it used to in pre-iOS4). While in the background there are certain limited things the app can "listen" for, those are centered around location, audio and (limited) voip. The upside to this is apps you might switch between regularly re-launch very fast. The downside is we don't know how good Apple's magic memory manager is at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back