Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested in playing Carcassone, I suggest making a new email address via gmail or whatever, as the game requires you to know someones email address in order to send them an invite to a "Friends" game. I'd suggested using the form: [email protected] so we know who's who. I am, thus: [email protected]. Send me an invite, or post your address and I'll send you one.

Despite Babylonian Twins being in development for 16 years, or something ridiculous like that, I can't say I find the game very enjoyable. However at free the price is right. I have yet to find a platformer for the iphone/touch that has solid feeling controls. The only ones that have are autorunners like canabalt. I'd gladly take some recommendations, as I have tried many such as Sooziz, Castle of Magic and plushed. To me the virtual buttons just don't feel right for platforming.

and as always, Thx dims

Toucharcade.com reports that Bit.Trip.Beat is coming to the iPhone and in an enhanced form. Hopefully other Bit.Trip games also get ported.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Despite Babylonian Twins being in development for 16 years, or something ridiculous like that, I can't say I find the game very enjoyable. However at free the price is right. I have yet to find a platformer for the iphone/touch that has solid feeling controls. The only ones that have are autorunners like canabalt. I'd gladly take some recommendations, as I have tried many such as Sooziz, Castle of Magic and plushed. To me the virtual buttons just don't feel right for platforming.

and as always, Thx dims[/QUOTE]

If the story is to be believed, it's a true retro game that got locked away due to embargos and what not and got shelved all the way through to the nostalgia chic era where it could shine. It's as if Elvis was frozen only to reawaken at an Elvis convention. They should've kept the Amiga era graphics for maximum nostalgia chic nonsense.

Doubt it would've saved the game though. Dropped 99 cents on it and it was pleasant enough, but, like you, I'm just not feeling it.

Also, The Red Star is finally out, $5. Can't believe this passed me up. They ditched the proposed episodic nonsense and just released the whole game for $5. I LOVED this game on PS2 but I'm just not feeling it for Iphone. They did good work porting it but I just dunno...

Still, day one buy for me just to support Red Star. What a great game that was.

Does Cheapy get a little money knocked his way from the iTunes links? Because if we're posting referral links to appshopper, we're using cag to earn them revenue. Or have I got this wrong?

Space shooter fans can snag the shmup Nanoids for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/nanoids/id315835524?mt=8)

"Dragged across the universe by a sinister fate, the Petralites must now confront the avatars of death. Destiny, it seems, favors a new breed, a ruthless unfeeling technology bent on the extinction of mankind.

Nanoids is a fast-paced action-packed shooter that is sure to satisfy even the most hardcore of gamers. You have been tasked with eliminating the Nanoid threat and saving the lives of millions on your home world Petra, in your galaxy, and beyond."

[quote name='DtotheP']Does Cheapy get a little money knocked his way from the iTunes links? Because if we're posting referral links to appshopper, we're using cag to earn them revenue. Or have I got this wrong?[/QUOTE]

If not, then Cheapy ought to try to convince Apple to stop making those links jump straight into iTunes (yes, you can install an extension, or use other means to stop it from doing that, but that shouldn't be required). I don't know anyone who doesn't hate that behavior. But on top of that, appshopper provides real value in showing price changes over time. I almost always want to see the app in appshopper before bothering to look at it in iTunes, so, no, I don't want to see people stop posting appshopper links.

I don't like how it does it, but when I click the link I'm given a choice on whether iTunes opens or not, I chose for it to not open, so I just get an Apple preview page of the app now. Pretty simple. Also, I'm on Firefox, if that matters.

I have created a Carcassonne thread in the Old School & Other Gaming Systems forum (because I don't know where else to put it - I wish we had our own forum!)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7385445

The purpose of this thread is to help CAGs find other CAGs to play Carcassonne "Friends" games with. Why would you want to do this? Check out the thread! I provide some explanation and tips, as well as maintaining a list of players who want to join in. Anyway, check it out, and post or PM me your email address if you want to play - the more the merrier! Also, see the thread's OP for a suggestion for what to do if you don't want to reveal your personal email address!

EDIT: Also, I hope this will be the first of many iOS gaming threads that get started, covering specific games that are popular. Hopefully we eventually get our own forums, or at least something more suitable than a set of forums with a title starting with "Old School...". :(

EDIT2:[quote name='rhymenoceros']I don't like how it does it, but when I click the link I'm given a choice on whether iTunes opens or not, I chose for it to not open, so I just get an Apple preview page of the app now. Pretty simple. Also, I'm on Firefox, if that matters.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Firefox handles it out of the box now, then? That's an improvement. Safari doesn't, although there is an extension that stops it. Still, that doesn't change the fact that I'd much rather be sent first to appshopper anyway. So posting itunes links might be helpful to Cheapy, but it isn't as helpful to me. I'd rather people kept posting appshopper links. Maybe Cheapy can figure out a way to make appshopper links profit him as well?

We need Portal 2. That's pretty much the only "FPS" I'm interested in. Surely it could be done? Ok, start with Portal 1, preferably an enhanced one with more levels, but then give us 2.

[quote name='107proof']Didnt see it posted, sorry if its a repost.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within Dropped 3 bucks down to $6.99

182980.png

Let the Warrior Within take over your iPhone/iPod touch! One of the most anticipated video game franchises is finally available on the App Store. Hunted down by the Empress of Time, you’ll embark on a pirate ship and visit accursed palaces to triumph over evil.

http://appshopper.com/games/prince-of-persia-warrior-within[/QUOTE]

When this is $1.99 I'll pick it up

I've added a poll to the Carcassonne thread, and you know you love a good poll! Special Effects or No Special Effects?

Don't let your vote go uncast! Life as we know it hinges on YOUR vote!

And on a different note, my iPhone 4 has shipped! It was suppose to ship on the 14th, so this is happy news... I think. :) It's suppose to arrive by Friday. I can't wait!

And on yet another note, I rather like the game Tiki Totems Premium, which was free a short time ago, but is now 99 cents. Somebody else posted that they didn't like it, but I tried it anyway and I've been pleased with it. Fun Jenga-ish sort of game, but not exactly. It's certainly worth a shot! There is a free version too, and I actually don't know what the difference is. Maybe ads? Not sure. EDIT: oh, but I hate the ad (just for their other games) you get at startup even with the "premium" version. I got over it, though.

Everyone needs to get Minigore. Easily the most amusing dual analog shooter on the iPhone/touch. Multiple unlockables, limitless play, great graphics, and amazingly smooth on the 3G.

If you need more reason to blow stuff up, have a look at Great Tank War while it's still on sale for .99 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/great-tank-war/id378457262?mt=8).

"** We are just about to update "GREAT TANK WAR" to a new version with more stages, various tanks and weapons. So, this is the last chance to get GTW and upcoming update for ONLY $0.99.
DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE!! **

Finally, a real masculine arcade game with explosive World War II warfare has invaded the App Store. Great Tank War puts the future of the free world in your hands with awesome firepower, stunning 3D graphics and ultra-realistic game play."

Technically not a deal since it was always free, and it's not a game, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway - the iDisk app is now actually useful. An update was just released that supports sending files on your iDisk to "compatible" apps. For most that would be iBooks, allowing you to get PDF's from your iDisk into iBooks, but also it works with at least some 3rd party party apps. I see Air Sharing Pro being listed and that seems to work, though the usefulness there is questionable. I wonder if there's other apps that would be more useful? Also, can you send an epub file to iBooks that doesn't come from the iBooks store? Are there any epub books available from anywhere other then the iBooks store?

There is a wonky icon issue, because Air Sharing Pro's icon ends up on the iBooks button and the iBooks button has no icon at all. If I click on the Air Sharing button to send the file there, then the next time you go into iDisk and use it to send a file elsewhere, now the iBooks icon is on the Air Sharing button. Nice. :) Anyway, aside from that, it's useful if you got a MobileMe account, though you have to hope that iDisk support would be built into the OS and that other apps could just get there directly. Perhaps they can already but aren't doing it? I don't know.

EDIT: well of course they can get there directly, seeing how Air Sharing Pro always has! I guess there just aren't many apps that have done that for some reason.

iBooks supports regular ePubs that did not come from the iTunes Store. I've loaded a handful of books that came from other, less legitimate sources.

[quote name='Malik112099']Grabbed Babylonian Twins[/QUOTE]

Damn I hope this shit is still free when I get home tonight at 9:30.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']Grabbed Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles for 99 cents. It's a pretty decent puzzler, but the graphics are somewhat unimpressive. Thanks to Dimsdale for the heads up!

Click here for my review[/QUOTE]

Is there any kind of story in this game?

[quote name='Mike UFC']Is there any kind of story in this game?[/QUOTE]

Nope, there is no story at all.

Indiana Jones and the Lost Puzzles has about the same amount of story as the Game Boy Tetris game.

Arrgh yet another paid for app goes free in Babylonian Twins, at this rate I expect to see every app I paid for be free every week. Downloaded the other freebies. Props to...whoever....

Bedlam dropped from $5.99 --> FREE!!

137487.png

FREE FOR A DAY: JULY 07 2010 (Normally $6). A deep and unique MMORPG world with NO subscription fees and NO in-app unlocks. Play online forever in a vast, real-time world, with 14 special classes and thousands of different NPC's.

http://appshopper.com/games/bedlam

GROUND EFFECT ----> FREE!!

955369.png

The FreeAppADay app introduces Ground Effect as Today's Featured Free App.

If you want to win races by shooting opponents or buying a faster vehicle, look elsewhere. If you are interested in the "best pure racing game on the iPhone" read on. Ground Effect is a silky Smooth Arcade Racer - Unique, Simple, Fast. Set on the smoothest, most detailed landscape yet seen on the iPhone.

http://appshopper.com/games/ground-effect

!~!~!~ DISCLAIMER ~!~!~!~

All posted deals were stolen from Appshopper.com If you have a problem with that, Quit reading this forum and go directly to Appshopper.com for your daily deals. Don't bother reading this forum or commenting. If you quit reading this forum, you won't be bothered with us stealing deals from other sites.

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

FMIC - Hidden Object Game - Dropped to FREE!!

838419.png

"Find Me If you Can", the Enthralling Game in ‘Hidden Objects’. Mother`s birthday eve, a family arrives to a cottage in order to celebrate. However, birthday will come only when the house, which is a mess, will be cleaned up.
Along with the heroes, you have to look for different items in the big house, cleaning it up before the celebration Each of six main characters will search in the room they visit the most often. Colourful 3D graphics, several game levels, great number of various hidden objects, and a comparatively complex interior of the house, turn the search into an exciting adventure. Plus 9 bonus games.

http://appshopper.com/games/fmic

[quote name='107proof']

!~!~!~ DISCLAIMER ~!~!~!~

All posted deals were stolen from Appshopper.com If you have a problem with that, Quit reading this forum and go directly to Appshopper.com for your daily deals. Don't bother reading this forum or commenting. If you quit reading this forum, you won't be bothered with us stealing deals from other sites.

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~![/QUOTE]

Haha good stuff here. Thanks for posting the deals.

Thanks for the heads up on FMIC. I've been waiting for some hidden object games, and so far I've been disappointed.

The Profiler and the Time Machine sucked.

FMIC is a one-level demo. Seemed fun, but also pretty shady of them.
Additionally, it's got horrible "English" and takes a long time to download. Full game is $0.99 only, but I'll pass on principle.

[quote name='sasuke543']Is diner dash worth getting at 2.99? I love playing it at the apple store :p[/QUOTE]

Star Wars Cantina just dropped to 1.99, I think its much more fast paced and intense, and offers a little more strategy with different patrons at the bar and managing different drink types. Some may prefer dinner dash, but I think the art style is total shit, and not as fast paced and deep as cantina.

http://appshopper.com/games/monkey-island-2-special-edition-lechucks-revenge

Monkey island 2 SE ^

Disclaimer- please make sure you are literate and able to understand basic sentences in english . Sorry to those that attended the university of Kentucky or are fans, but if I can, I'll try posting a Braille or gibberish version later. I'm especially sorry for those who missed my point earlier in simply retrieving an entire article from a site and not at least simply acknowledging that you found it there. If cheapcollegegamers.com doesnt admit that they first found a deal or a coupon on CAG I suppose you think it's fair for us to do the same .

[quote name='RollingSkull']If the story is to be believed, it's a true retro game that got locked away due to embargos and what not and got shelved all the way through to the nostalgia chic era where it could shine. It's as if Elvis was frozen only to reawaken at an Elvis convention. They should've kept the Amiga era graphics for maximum nostalgia chic nonsense.

Doubt it would've saved the game though. Dropped 99 cents on it and it was pleasant enough, but, like you, I'm just not feeling it.

Also, The Red Star is finally out, $5. Can't believe this passed me up. They ditched the proposed episodic nonsense and just released the whole game for $5. I LOVED this game on PS2 but I'm just not feeling it for Iphone. They did good work porting it but I just dunno...

Still, day one buy for me just to support Red Star. What a great game that was.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love the red star, but the demo ran pretty poorly on my 3rd gen ipod touch, had some framerate issues. I could deal with the wonky control scheme, but for 5 bucks it at least needs to run decent. If I get an iphone 4 I'll prob check it out again.

[quote name='fazfznz']http://appshopper.com/games/monkey-island-2-special-edition-lechucks-revenge

Monkey island 2 SE ^

Disclaimer- please make sure you are literate and able to understand basic sentences in english . Sorry to those that attended the university of Kentucky or are fans, but if I can, I'll try posting a Braille or gibberish version later. I'm especially sorry for those who missed my point earlier in simply retrieving an entire article from a site and not at least simply acknowledging that you found it there. If cheapcollegegamers.com doesnt admit that they first found a deal or a coupon on CAG I suppose you think it's fair for us to do the same .[/QUOTE]

not a deal, I hope they put the first one on sale for the release of this one. 8 dollars just seems a little steep to me.

[quote name='fazfznz']I'm sure some people will love it. I think 8$ is not bad for opening price considering how polished LucasArts games are.[/QUOTE]

It's not bad, but its not a deal either. The first game has gone on sale multiple times according to app shopper, so hopefully it will go on sale to 3.99 for the launch of this new one since I missed the previous sales. I'm in no rush to buy the 2nd one till I buy, and play through the first.

[quote name='fazfznz']I'm sure some people will love it. I think 8$ is not bad for opening price considering how polished LucasArts games are.[/QUOTE]

If it has the same control scheme the first game had, I would definitely say pass ... or if you absolutely positively need some Monkey Island on your iPhone, at least wait for a sale.

I picked up the first game and found it unplayable because of the whole dragging the cursor around then clicking, instead of utilizing the touch interface. Decided that for the sequel I would be smart and grab it on Steam, got the 1st too for pre-ordering so it came out to about $5 per game for a superior version.

[quote name='jamesesdad']Star Wars Cantina just dropped to 1.99, I think its much more fast paced and intense, and offers a little more strategy with different patrons at the bar and managing different drink types. Some may prefer dinner dash, but I think the art style is total shit, and not as fast paced and deep as cantina.[/QUOTE]

A lot of the reviews for SW Cantina on the iTunes store complain about the game being rather short. What was your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back