Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I'm really digging PathPix. It easy enough you can just zone out, but still requires some attention/strategy. It's also very unique, far as I can tell (though it is along the lines of Picross).

If you're not opposed to paying $1.99 for a great app you'll actually play, check it out.
http://appshopper.com/games/pathpix

[quote name='ViolentLee']Man, I'm really digging PathPix. It easy enough you can just zone out, but still requires some attention/strategy. It's also very unique, far as I can tell (though it is along the lines of Picross).

If you're not opposed to paying $1.99 for a great app you'll actually play, check it out.
http://appshopper.com/games/pathpix[/QUOTE]

The marble puzzler Sole Pro is the current Great App a Day FREE game (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sole-pro/id373922294?mt=8).
"Sole Pro is a unique and challenging marble puzzle game that requires you to think before you make a move. Challenge your mind with this unique game of marbles that you have never seen before. Sole Pro is simple to understand – slide marbles left-right and up-down on the board to destroy other marbles until only one marble is left. How far can you get, can you get to level 50?"

Free App Calendar is showing the stick figure TD game Tesla Wars for its freebie right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id368972957?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4).
"TESLA WARS is an arcade game in "tower defence" genre with a lots of different special attacks and upgrades. The game is very dynamic and requires lightning-fast reaction from you!"

Neander Block, another excerpt from the All-in-1 Gamebox title, will be the next OpenFeint Free Game of the Day app (http://itunes.apple.com/app/neander-block/id354644802?mt=8).

"it is a time of opportunity for your fledgling tribe. resources are abundant, but time is scarce and competition from rivals is fierce. gather the supplies you need to expand your village and establish a foothold in new territory!

use quick thinking, logic, and even a little bit of magic to overcome the obstacles in your way! the future of the neander tribe rests in your hands!"

Space Miner: Space Ore Bust dropped from 4.99 to 1.99 for a special "back to school" price. This game plays like the old arcade game Ateroids, but combined with a space mining/station rpg kind of thing. You go out and harvest rocks, and bring them back to sell to upgrade your ship and stuff. I have yet to play it but it go overwhelmingly positive reviews.

853276.png

http://appshopper.com/games/space-miner-space-ore-bust

Average Rating:4.50 out of 3220 people

[quote name='SaraAB']I have a question, maybe someone can answer it :

1. What is the best texting app?

2. I don't have a phone, well I have a phone, but its really old and I don't want to pay for texts. I wouldn't call anyone anyways so its really pointless for me to get a cell phone since between my mom and myself, we use less than 20 min a month, yes I am pathetic.

Can I use a texting app to enter contests that require texting, like ones that say text "word" to 4555 to win? I will be pretty disappointed if I can't.

Looking forward to finally getting one of these things after Sept. 1st. Have downloaded over 1000 apps and games so far and completely revamped my music library, spending HOURS on it.[/QUOTE]
Just download the google app, get a google voice number, and text away, free.

[quote name='Ronin317']Just download the google app, get a google voice number, and text away, free.[/QUOTE]

What google app? The google mobile app doesn't support this as far as I can tell.

[quote name='Ronin317']Just download the google app, get a google voice number, and text away, free.[/QUOTE]

The google mobile app doesn't support google voice, only google talk (which is essentially just gmail chat). If you have a google voice account you can direct safari to m.google.com/voice and you get a similar interface as what the google voice app would have been had ape not pulled it. This is far from ideal however without push notification.

[quote name='jamesesdad']The google mobile app doesn't support google voice, only google talk (which is essentially just gmail chat). If you have a google voice account you can direct safari to m.google.com/voice and you get a similar interface as what the google voice app would have been had ape not pulled it. This is far from ideal however without push notification.[/QUOTE]
I had a brain fart for a minute...forgot it's the iphone app. but yeah, it does 'work' with the above workaround, just not with push notifications.

I just got a 16gb touch for $50 yesterday :)

Anyway I'm glad that OWG game was free, wow, what a stupid game. I kinda want my 3 minutes back.

@Freshzen

How did you get it for $50?

Also, let me be the first to tell you, 90% of the free games are going to be just terrible.

Used at a pawn shop, the headphone jack doesn't work so I'm going to call up some cell phone repair shops tomorrow and see how much it'll cost to fix. Hoping I can get it fixed for $40 or less. I did get a free 8gb by opening a bank account, but I sold it on eBay.

[quote name='Malik112099']Beat Dark Nebula 1 & 2 last night at work. Both are great game. Episode 1 is currently free and part 2 is $.99

http://www.appshopper.com/games/dark-nebula-episode-one

http://www.appshopper.com/games/dark-nebula-episode-two[/QUOTE]

I really enjoy these two games. Since you aren't technically a marble or something it feels like you have more control and with crisp graphics and straight to the point levels Dark Nebula makes for a perfect iPhone game (oh and you can calibrate at any time for any angle of play!).

[quote name='freshzen']Used at a pawn shop, the headphone jack doesn't work so I'm going to call up some cell phone repair shops tomorrow and see how much it'll cost to fix. Hoping I can get it fixed for $40 or less. I did get a free 8gb by opening a bank account, but I sold it on eBay.[/QUOTE]

I would go one step further and say about 98% of the free games are pure unadulterated crap. There may be one free game every two or three days that is actually worth playing. For the most part however, they aren't even usually worth the time to download. There is a reason most of them go free, or get dropped to .99 cents. I personally try not to post anything on here that I wouldn't download and play myself (or at the very least something others might enjoy).

That said, Iphone has a LOT of shit but it also has quite a lot of really good games that I think put it up there with the PSP or DS. Of course, the straight console ports or Gameloft's watery console ripoffs don't play to the system's strengths but Cave's shmup ports of Dodonpachi, Espgaluda2, and some other stuff like Dark Nebula... all of it is definitely awesome. I try to recommend anything I find that's really awesome in this thread just because it's the only source I use for Iphone recommendations.

If you want an ear to the ground on good games, follow SlideToPlay. Anything they give a 3 or a 4 to is worth a second look.

I pretty much completely agree w rolling skull, however, my point was about free games and how the majority of them suck. Still, every now and then we get a real gem of a free game like civ rev, fastar, truckers delight, puzzle quest, and dark nebula, to name a few of the more recent awesome freebies.

I also feel like the ipod/iphone has become a major contender for my portable gaming time. While I still feel it lacks a real triple A system seller along the lines of god of war, or metal gear, the games just keep getting better. The fact that it also has a fully featured mp3 player, gps, phone, camera, web browser (plus whatever extra functionality you get from apps/jailbreaking) is the icing on the proverbial cake. Having your full game library to take with you is another benefit, as opposed to having to bring a shitload of physical media around with you.

On another note, I found chaos rings to be pretty fucking boring. Pretty much typical square enix turn/menu based rpg. I only played for like an hour or two but lost interest. Should I press on? Or does the game get better as it goes on?

[quote name='jamesesdad']On another note, I found chaos rings to be pretty fucking boring. Pretty much typical square enix turn/menu based rpg. I only played for like an hour or two but lost interest. Should I press on? Or does the game get better as it goes on?[/QUOTE]Me, too. I've never been a JRPG player, but the game sounded like it was probably worth the investment, so I dropped the $12 around launch. Only played about 3 hours while at the airport, but never found a reason to pick it back up. I'd like to know if it would be worth the time to try again.

To add to this recent conversation, I think there are a lot of high quality games on the iPhone/iPod. I have been playing the crap out of dodonpachi all weekend. Going onto my 5th play through and can't wait to start trying to beat my high scores. NOVA, CoD Zombies, Assassin's Creed, Chaos Rings are all games with some real production value behind them. Most of the free/$.99 games feel like gimmicks to me. Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja were the only two games in that basic gameplay category that have gotten any run on my device. I buy a game like doodlejump and I feel like I wasted my money.

I just noticed today that Crimson Gem Saga snuck onto the PSP. I am paying the $10 without hesitation. Loved the game on the PSP but got extremely annoyed playing with the long load times. Tons of production value and a great throwback JRPG if you like that type of game. I grew up on the early final fantasy and Star Ocean type games. I don't know what it is about the platform, people refuse to pay more than the $.99 standard. Crimson Gem is a full Atlus title that retailed for $40 on the PSP and most JRPG lovers said, "Thank you, may I have another". But on the iPhone people won't drop $10 at launch? It still retails for $30 on Amazon for PSP. Maybe it is the touch controls, or the size of the device but I am one person who hopes companies start putting more full production games like this on the store at a fair price (and $10 for Crimson Gem is a steal).

Edit: I loved playing Dodonpochi so much this weekend I broke out Ikaruga on Arcade, lol.

[quote name='jamesesdad']I pretty much completely agree w rolling skull, however, my point was about free games and how the majority of them suck. Still, every now and then we get a real gem of a free game like civ rev, fastar, truckers delight, puzzle quest, and dark nebula, to name a few of the more recent awesome freebies.

I also feel like the ipod/iphone has become a major contender for my portable gaming time. While I still feel it lacks a real triple A system seller along the lines of god of war, or metal gear, the games just keep getting better. The fact that it also has a fully featured mp3 player, gps, phone, camera, web browser (plus whatever extra functionality you get from apps/jailbreaking) is the icing on the proverbial cake. Having your full game library to take with you is another benefit, as opposed to having to bring a shitload of physical media around with you.

On another note, I found chaos rings to be pretty fucking boring. Pretty much typical square enix turn/menu based rpg. I only played for like an hour or two but lost interest. Should I press on? Or does the game get better as it goes on?[/QUOTE]

I downloaded it around launch and have played maybe 2 hours and just don't really care to play anymore. The puzzles are such a stupid addition to the game and completely unnecessary and doesn't even make sense with the game. You just transport to some little area, move some shit around and teleport on different portals then you can keep playing. The gameplay and RPG elements are fine and all but the story and puzzles just ruin it for me. I'm having much more fun with the Final Fantasy remake I bought when it was half off.

[quote name='j0dy77']To add to this recent conversation, I think there are a lot of high quality games on the iPhone/iPod. I have been playing the crap out of dodonpachi all weekend. Going onto my 5th play through and can't wait to start trying to beat my high scores. NOVA, CoD Zombies, Assassin's Creed, Chaos Rings are all games with some real production value behind them. Most of the free/$.99 games feel like gimmicks to me. Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja were the only two games in that basic gameplay category that have gotten any run on my device. I buy a game like doodlejump and I feel like I wasted my money.

I just noticed today that Crimson Gem Saga snuck onto the PSP. I am paying the $10 without hesitation. Loved the game on the PSP but got extremely annoyed playing with the long load times. Tons of production value and a great throwback JRPG if you like that type of game. I grew up on the early final fantasy and Star Ocean type games. I don't know what it is about the platform, people refuse to pay more than the $.99 standard. Crimson Gem is a full Atlus title that retailed for $40 on the PSP and most JRPG lovers said, "Thank you, may I have another". But on the iPhone people won't drop $10 at launch? It still retails for $30 on Amazon for PSP. Maybe it is the touch controls, or the size of the device but I am one person who hopes companies start putting more full production games like this on the store at a fair price (and $10 for Crimson Gem is a steal).

Edit: I loved playing Dodonpochi so much this weekend I broke out Ikaruga on Arcade, lol.[/QUOTE]

Actually, how is Assassins creed for iphone? Been hearing mixed things about it.

[quote name='j0dy77']
Edit: I loved playing Dodonpochi so much this weekend I broke out Ikaruga on Arcade, lol.[/QUOTE]

at first I thought you meant you had an ikaruga arcade machine.........:drool: then I realized you more likely meant on xbox live arcade

[quote name='jamesesdad']at first I thought you meant you had an ikaruga arcade machine.........:drool: then I realized you more likely meant on xbox live arcade[/QUOTE]

Haha, that would be really epic.

[quote name='Sandaz93']Actually, how is Assassins creed for iphone? Been hearing mixed things about it.[/QUOTE]

I liked it a lot. The combat system is fun and the graphics are nice. The platforming can annoy you at times because of the touch pad but those times were few for me. They do a very good job of giving you a lot of checkpoints to ease that pain. Well worth the recent $.99 sale price.

A couple of additional price-dropped FREE titles:

Ghosts Attack (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ghosts-attack/id338573927?mt=8).
"Ghosts Attack is an immersive first person shooter for the iPhone that integrates real time mapping technology with a dynamic alternate reality gaming (ARG) experience.

Unravel a fascinating story regarding the disappearance of thirteen scientists -- accidentally transported to a parallel dimension in a failed teleportation experiment. Too dangerous for humans, the company that employed the scientists is now dispatching remote controlled Rovers to explore and conquer the new realm. Experience fast shooting action as you fight the hostile inhabitants, and enjoy continuous delivery of new content, ranging from in-game updates to new episodes."

Secret of Lost Pyramid (http://itunes.apple.com/app/secret-of-lost-pyramid/id351031603?mt=8).
"Ancient maya pyramid keeps its secrets. You have to help archaeologists to find the store treasures. To get there, you need to challenge ancient pyramid guards and win 41 jade stones fighting against them in the ancient card game.

FEATURES
★ Exciting and not complicated game play
★ Campaign with three episodes.
★ Full 3D graphic
★ Three different arenas
★ Ethnic soundtracks
★ Suitable for children
★ OpenFeint 2.4 ready"

Apologies for the dumb question guys but can someone tell me (for future reference) what time the EA sports weekend sale ended? I tried to log on last night to pick up fifa and nba live but they were already back to 6.99. Thanks.

[quote name='Jodou']Wow, was really hoping this was going to be something akin to Ken G's Home Run Derby for SNES. Then I clicked the link. . .[/QUOTE]
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have posted a description for that one. Here it is for anyone else who mistakes Home Run 2010 for a baseball sim:

"Help the drunk get home safely as you struggle to make him walk in a straight direction and not fall.

The Cars Tavern - the party tent at the largest annual festival in Central Europe! Sunday morning, 04.30 clock, Bobby enjoyed a boozy night with party, music, a lot of great people, and not a few drinks, once more he tried his way home. Help him! He tends to the right, you push your iphone to the left and vice versa. How far can you get?"

Scrabble is on sale for .99 cents right now.

I'm pretty tempted, I've put many many hours into Words With Friends. But it looks like with Scrabble you can play with up to 4 players and play with people on Facebook. Anyone have Scrabble? Can you compare it with Words With Friends? How is the multiplayer with Facebook and all that and the push notifications? Just wondering because I'd be pushing a bunch of friends to buy it too, have less than 48 hours now.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Scrabble is on sale for .99 cents right now.

I'm pretty tempted, I've put many many hours into Words With Friends. But it looks like with Scrabble you can play with up to 4 players and play with people on Facebook. Anyone have Scrabble? Can you compare it with Words With Friends? How is the multiplayer with Facebook and all that and the push notifications? Just wondering because I'd be pushing a bunch of friends to buy it too, have less than 48 hours now.[/QUOTE]

Scrabble works fine. It's little nuances that make it annoying. Like 30 seconds of loading screens every time you start the app. When you place a blank tile, you have to cycle through every single letter till you get to the one you want instead of directly picking the letter you want in WWF. But if you want to play with Facebook friends, it does the job.

[quote name='Dimsdale']A couple of additional price-dropped FREE titles:

Ghosts Attack (http://itunes.apple.com/app/ghosts-attack/id338573927?mt=8).
"Ghosts Attack is an immersive first person shooter for the iPhone that integrates real time mapping technology with a dynamic alternate reality gaming (ARG) experience.

Unravel a fascinating story regarding the disappearance of thirteen scientists -- accidentally transported to a parallel dimension in a failed teleportation experiment. Too dangerous for humans, the company that employed the scientists is now dispatching remote controlled Rovers to explore and conquer the new realm. Experience fast shooting action as you fight the hostile inhabitants, and enjoy continuous delivery of new content, ranging from in-game updates to new episodes."
[/QUOTE]
I've been wanting to check out an augmented-reality game on my iPhone. From the screens, this looks the part. Most of them are just too expensive to chance -- Pandemica has been on my appshopper wishlist for a while.

Also bit on Predators.

[quote name='GamerChris']Scrabble works fine. It's little nuances that make it annoying. Like 30 seconds of loading screens every time you start the app. When you place a blank tile, you have to cycle through every single letter till you get to the one you want instead of directly picking the letter you want in WWF. But if you want to play with Facebook friends, it does the job.[/QUOTE]

facebook friends was a big plus, but i just read that its only local network play... that pretty much kills the appeal.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']facebook friends was a big plus, but i just read that its only local network play... that pretty much kills the appeal.[/QUOTE]

I think that was an old review. You can play anyone on Facebook. Don't need to be on a local network to do so.

[quote name='Malik112099']Fruit Ninja is stupid addictive[/QUOTE]

Yes, and even thought its a complete rip off. Veggie Samurai is also very addicting. It's unique in its own way, it has several different modes that Fruit Ninja doesn't. It is not some cheap knock-off. It's a quality designed game. You can slice the veggies multiple times too!

744292.png

http://appshopper.com/games/veggie-samurai

It's $0.99 as well. I recommend it.

[quote name='107proof']Yes, and even thought its a complete rip off. Veggie Samurai is also very addicting. It's unique in its own way, it has several different modes that Fruit Ninja doesn't. It is not some cheap knock-off. It's a quality designed game. You can slice the veggies multiple times too!

744292.png

http://appshopper.com/games/veggie-samurai

It's $0.99 as well. I recommend it.[/QUOTE]

veggie samurai is decent but it doesnt feel as polished as fruit ninja. It has a very rigid feeling to it like all of the veggies are actually veggie shaped rocks.

Ok so this is a bit odd of a question but... On my iPod it says there is 88 MB of space yet when I try to download a 51 MB app it tells me there's no room and to delete some stuff. Can anyone tell me why exactly I need more space than the app entails. And secondly, what would be a rough estimate of how much space is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back