Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
$9.99 is a good price for SFIV. Needs more fighters and it's far too easy, but otherwise great! Now if they'd only port Tatsunoko vs Capcom!

For anybody interested, I created a twitter account and update it via twitfeed.com (that is pulling from AppShopper.com's "Popular Price Drops" RSS feed).

Go follow @apppopdrop if you want to see the updates over twitter. I've found it handy instead of constantly checking here or on appshopper.com.

[quote name='Splines']For anybody interested, I created a twitter account and update it via twitfeed.com (that is pulling from AppShopper.com's "Popular Price Drops" RSS feed).

Go follow @apppopdrop if you want to see the updates over twitter. I've found it handy instead of constantly checking here or on appshopper.com.[/QUOTE]

Dude, i just signed up and I love it....I hearby give you permission to blow up my phone with tweets :)

I will say i missed the Street Fighter 4 sale of $6.99 by one day. Yes, it sucked majorly, but taking into account the amazing-ness of the game, as well as the fact that it just had an update to add Zangief (boo) and Cammy (yea) theres really no reason to pass it up. There is also local multiplayer if you can find another person with a touch/phone that would also get the game.

Its really not hard to do a jump in hard kick, crouch double light punch, crouch medium kick, EX tatsumaki senpuyaku, to ultra in the corner resulting in a ridiculous combo that crushes.

The ultra animations are almost perfectly true to the console counter part. The Ryu ultra is almost dead on

[quote name='mrmagoo1974']Dude, i just signed up and I love it....I hearby give you permission to blow up my phone with tweets :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know. It's all automated though, as it's pulling content from appshopper.com :). I don't need to lift a finger - laziness is a virtue!

[quote name='Enclave Soldier']Buy CrystalWar. Pretty damn good "defense" type of game with great art and music. It has rpg elements, and it's fairly challenging. Only 2 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I recommend Crystal War too, but it's $3. I'm waiting for a sale before I buy. It's similar to other 2-D real time strategy games, like cartoon wars or castle wars. Instead of gold, you build miners to harvest crystals. You can upgrade units and purchase magic. Graphics are great. I like the mining aspect since it gives the genre a nice twist.

http://appshopper.com/games/crystal-war

A shape-matching puzzler, Cell Splat is currently FREE (http://appshopper.com/games/cell-splat).
"An explosion in the Photon Labs has let loose all the dangerous experimental cells. As a lab assistant, it's your job now to clean up the mess by getting rid of the cells.

Cell Splat is an arcade game where you must tap the cells that match the target cell on the top of the screen. Each level will require more cells to be hit and at a faster pace."

A match-3, adventure quest combo called The Crystals of Atlantis has just been released for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-crystals-of-atlantis/id369698700?mt=8). It's by the same folks who did Draw Slasher and Net Runner. Looks pretty good. Especially for free.

"The Crystals of Atlantis – a match-three game with vivid graphics, unique gameplay and a compelling adventure back-story. Take on the role of a young, intrepid archaeologist working against the clock in a desperate bid to find four crystals to solve the mystery of Atlantis.

Game modes:
- Adventure mode: travel through the game world, taking part in the excavation of ancient treasure, hot on the trail of clues leading you ever closer to solving the mystery of Atlantis.
- Free play: enjoy a quick match 3 game in the location of your choice and at a difficulty level to suit."

Early free sites updates for Wednesday:

Free App a Day is featuring the spinable match-3 Spinzizzle (http://itunes.apple.com/app/spinzizzle/id371284139?mt=8), a pretty good variation on the m3 genre.

OpenFeint will be showcasing the aerial shooter X Invasion 2 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/spinzizzle/id371284139?mt=8).

Also, if you're hankering for more strategy gameplay, Tap Tanks has just been released for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tap-tanks/id378345741?mt=8).
"Tired from same tower defense games? Want something new and refreshing? Look no further! Tap Tank is a unique combination of action and strategy. You have 4 chassis, 4 weapons and a factory to combine 16 unique units. Quickly build your army and flick it right into the battle. Use your strategic thinking to crush advanced AI or your friend in a multiplayer combat. Explore all 12 levels of campaign and continue with skirmish mode after you finished with it or play with your friend."

For fans of Doom and Wolfenstein, there's 3D FPS -- The Legend (http://itunes.apple.com/app/3d-fps-the-legend/id322882989?mt=8), currently on sale for FREE.

"The world has changed, evil has taken over; respect, loyalty, justice and goodness are a thing of the past.
The dark army has established its headquarters in the center of the earth and is now ruling the world with brutality and injustice.
There is one last group of soldiers who has survived and has managed to infiltrate the underground headquarters of the dark army. You are the only hope of mankind, the last man standing and humanities only answer.
Find and kill their leader and maybe you can change the course of history.
Destroy anyone or anything that comes in your way."

I already have Toki Tori on the PC (and I've already beat all the levels), but I am really tempted to get it for my iPhone, especially since it's just a dollar now. Such a fun game!

[quote name='Dimsdale']
Also, if you're hankering for more strategy gameplay, Tap Tanks has just been released for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tap-tanks/id378345741?mt=8).
"Tired from same tower defense games? Want something new and refreshing? Look no further! Tap Tank is a unique combination of action and strategy. You have 4 chassis, 4 weapons and a factory to combine 16 unique units. Quickly build your army and flick it right into the battle. Use your strategic thinking to crush advanced AI or your friend in a multiplayer combat. Explore all 12 levels of campaign and continue with skirmish mode after you finished with it or play with your friend."[/QUOTE]

Anyone try this? One of the reviews says you pay later on to continue the game. I just downloaded it, but I won't have time to play it until I clear some of my backlog. :)

[quote name='Malik112099']^ was just getting on here to post that

why do you always come off as king of the douchebags?

anywho.....

http://appshopper.com/games/soul[/QUOTE]

From what I can tell based on other users comments its the picture,maybe that he just called everyone bitches, or that he seems to have trouble thinking of anything more intelligent to say then cursing.

Haha, I find it funny that he offends/annoys you guys so much. Or maybe it's just that you have fun picking on him. Thanks for the heads up, anyway.

Lots of Chillingo games, such as knights onrush, are on sale for $1, in addition to toki Tori. Too many to list from my phone, maybe someone at a pc can list them?

[quote name='DtotheP']Lots of Chillingo games, such as knights onrush, are on sale for $1, in addition to toki Tori. Too many to list from my phone, maybe someone at a pc can list them?[/QUOTE]

According to appshopper, Knights Onrush has been on sale since Jully 11, 2009... I think Toki Tori's really the only recent sale (ie. past day or two).

Soul is pretty sweet. I had the pleasure of playtesting the game way back when it was an XNA title. That team went on to win DreamBuildPlay this year with Lumi.

[quote name='Dimsdale']A match-3, adventure quest combo called The Crystals of Atlantis has just been released for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-crystals-of-atlantis/id369698700?mt=8). It's by the same folks who did Draw Slasher and Net Runner. Looks pretty good. Especially for free.

"The Crystals of Atlantis – a match-three game with vivid graphics, unique gameplay and a compelling adventure back-story. Take on the role of a young, intrepid archaeologist working against the clock in a desperate bid to find four crystals to solve the mystery of Atlantis.

Game modes:
- Adventure mode: travel through the game world, taking part in the excavation of ancient treasure, hot on the trail of clues leading you ever closer to solving the mystery of Atlantis.
- Free play: enjoy a quick match 3 game in the location of your choice and at a difficulty level to suit."[/QUOTE]

Damn, missed it. Up to .99 now. Looked cool too.

[quote name='Dimsdale']A match-3, adventure quest combo called The Crystals of Atlantis has just been released for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-crystals-of-atlantis/id369698700?mt=8). It's by the same folks who did Draw Slasher and Net Runner. Looks pretty good. Especially for free.

Game modes:
- Free play: enjoy a quick match 3 game in the location of your choice and at a difficulty level to suit."[/QUOTE]

This is a lite version. The full version is the Deluxe which is .99. Just so people know.

[quote name='jamesesdad']From what I can tell based on other users comments its the picture...[/QUOTE]

I gotta admit. That Downs picture catches the eye like a car wreck.

So how are you supposed to maximize the battery life of an iPhone 4?

My battery life in previous models all have been pretty bad compared to their battery life. Either they are bending the truth or I am doing something wrong.

Do you not need to wait to charge your battery until it is below 20%? I've been doing that lately, but I had been charging my previous models whenever I'd like. Which way is the right way?

I wanted to like Grokion, I really did. I mean, it's a good looking Metroid-style game. But the control is just awful. Aiming and walking are too similar, so you end up walking into dangerous enemies. Not to mention the virtual buttons for jump and shoot seem to get confused often.
Let's hope they solve control issues in an update, because this could be a very cool game.

Every two weeks or so you should run your iPhone until it dies and then charge it to completion. Don't touch it until it's fully charged. I tried this and saw a noticeable difference in my iPod's battery life.

[quote name='CONMAN999']Every two weeks or so you should run your iPhone until it dies and then charge it to completion. Don't touch it until it's fully charged. I tried this and saw a noticeable difference in my iPod's battery life.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the heads up! :applause:

[quote name='ocu']So how are you supposed to maximize the battery life of an iPhone 4?

My battery life in previous models all have been pretty bad compared to their battery life. Either they are bending the truth or I am doing something wrong.

Do you not need to wait to charge your battery until it is below 20%? I've been doing that lately, but I had been charging my previous models whenever I'd like. Which way is the right way?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Wario64']huh, i'm pretty sure it's recommended to do a full charge for lithium batteries every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CONMAN999']Every two weeks or so you should run your iPhone until it dies and then charge it to completion. Don't touch it until it's fully charged. I tried this and saw a noticeable difference in my iPod's battery life.[/QUOTE]

There is no advatage to doing full cycle charges on lithium ion batteries. They do not have a memory like other battery types. Doing full cycle charges actually decrease the life of the battery since li-ion batteries have a finite number of charge cycles.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

You can also recharge a lithium-ion polymer battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge.)

Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need to replace your battery.

The full version of Burning Tires is now available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/burning-tires-free/id378692092?mt=8#).

"Over 2.5 million times the lite version of Burning Tires™ has been downloaded and now we give away the full version for free! Get this unusual racing game now: There are no asphalt streets, no normal cars and definitely no consideration among the competitors. Race wicked off-road racers with gigantic tires and engines up to 1000 HP in break-neck car races through the dusty deserts, icy plains and along glowing lava fields."

[quote name='Apple'] Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

[/QUOTE]

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Thank you Malik.

You were both right! Although once a month, not once every week. Thank you for the responses.

Free App a Day is going to be featuring Marbles Multiball 3D -- The Castle Adventure tomorrow, but you can download it now for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/marbles-multiball-3d-the-castle/id338663277?mt=8).

"Marbles Multiball is a coordination game - but not your average one!
Dive into the mystic world of Marbles Multiball!
Tilt your device to control many marbles simultaneously through atmospheric 3D levels!

Master ramps, traps and slopes, solve puzzles and crazy labyrinths. Use the realistic physics to your need!
Find hidden shortcuts and use all your brains to solve the later levels in this unique combination of skill, puzzle and action. This game will keep you entertained for hours and hours!"

I like CoPilot Live a lot. I tried Navigon when it went on sale and regret that purchase - it had nice features, but terrible maps and would tell me my destination was one place, only to find it quite a way away. O have yet to have that issue with CoPilot, plus with CoPilot you can load just the states you need, and save huge amounts of space. It does have a somewhat quirky interface, but it sends me to the right location!

[quote name='BREVITY']Best GPS app for the iPhone?[/QUOTE]

I really like the Navigon app. Was 100% accurate when I used it. Can use google to search for places. Very easy to use, slick interface, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back