Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a Zombie fan & a Duck Hunt Fan? How about we combine the two?

Zombie Duck Hunt Dropped to FREE!!

244128.png

In collaboration with OpenFeint's Free Game of the Day, Zombie Duck Hunt is Free for TODAY only. Remember to download OpenFeint’s Game Spotlight App to get the Free Game of the Day every day!

What flies south in the winter and quacks "cruummbbbssss"? Zombie Ducks! And they're invading your iPhone and iPod Touch! Only you can stop them, so it's time to go on a Zombie Duck Hunt.

As you dispose of undead birds intent on slowly nibbling you to death, unlock new weapons and earn extra lives. Watch out though, Killer Geese and Mutant Quail are also on the prowl!

Don't wait; pick up your trusty gun and make these zombies wish they were dead. Again. Otherwise, it's breadcrumbs today, your brains tomorrow.

http://appshopper.com/games/zombie-duck-hunt

ipad only deal...

RonaldoHD (Tropical island) $0.99
iPad Only

851236.png

You have to blast balls out of a cannon and hit Ronaldo to score points and keep them up!

The aim of the game is to keep Ronaldo in the air for as many bounces as possible by shooting new balls into it.

Don’t worry if you drop Ronaldo you can just keep restarting until you think you have a score worth submitting.

Have fun!

http://appshopper.com/games/ronaldohd-tropical-island

Park Star dropped to FREE

014514.png

It's a parking game. Your goal is to get the "Park Star". So you have to park the car as quickly as possible without damaging and avoid pedestrians or obstacles and other cars. Game control is easy. You can select 4 cars(4 difficult). In Honours-Room have 10 medals waiting you to challenge.

http://appshopper.com/games/park-star

Samurai: Way of the Warrior is still trash.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene has updated with three packs of $2 DLC, attempting to mine even deeper into the nostalgia hole with other Taito arcade games. If you haven't evolved your SIIG to maximum level, you may as well at least go do that because the last crop of bonus levels was actually pretty decent (Except for Giant UFO v2. Giant UFO is always dumb.). After nailing us with that unyielding $5 price point, though, I'm loathe to pay $6 for additional DLC.

Super Quickhook Update 1 is out and Update 2 is around the corner with some FORBIDDEN HATS style levels reportedly (Also will nerf the ridiculous acid of the mushroom levels). Oh joy of joys. At least the awful mushroom levels of Update 1 turned me off the game so I need not rage at their notion of EXTREEM difficulty.

Update 3 is gonna come right behind that with an additional endless mode involving a volcano and different rules or whatever and some other characters. That's one I'll be waiting for.

[quote name='tenchim86']I recommend Crystal War too, but it's $3. I'm waiting for a sale before I buy. It's similar to other 2-D real time strategy games, like cartoon wars or castle wars. Instead of gold, you build miners to harvest crystals. You can upgrade units and purchase magic. Graphics are great. I like the mining aspect since it gives the genre a nice twist.

http://appshopper.com/games/crystal-war[/QUOTE]
I know this is from pages back, but it was mentioned...
The above was my attitude as well, but I just caved and picked it up anyways so here's my brief thoughts on what you may not glean from a trailer or gameplay video that showcases the main draw.

My one minor gripe is that it's pretty light on the help department, tool tips are scarce at best. The beginning tutorial is sufficient to teach the basic UI function, but little more. There's not much in the way of information as to what is what and why one unit might be more appropriate than another and things like that.
I've been having fun, but it feels like I'm stumbling through a bit more than I would like. I enjoy having details about RPG style elements and those details are just not there.
Otherwise it's pretty good. I've played some other castle vs. castle games and this one really stands out from the pack. Although I will make the disclaimer that I still have missions left on the map and am unsure of how playable it is after they are all complete (word is an endless mode is in the works, though).

tldr - worth it's current price after another update or two, but definitely one to watch for any sales.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Samurai: Way of the Warrior is still trash.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene has updated with three packs of $2 DLC, attempting to mine even deeper into the nostalgia hole with other Taito arcade games. If you haven't evolved your SIIG to maximum level, you may as well at least go do that because the last crop of bonus levels was actually pretty decent (Except for Giant UFO v2. Giant UFO is always dumb.). After nailing us with that unyielding $5 price point, though, I'm loathe to pay $6 for additional DLC.

Super Quickhook Update 1 is out and Update 2 is around the corner with some FORBIDDEN HATS style levels reportedly (Also will nerf the ridiculous acid of the mushroom levels). Oh joy of joys. At least the awful mushroom levels of Update 1 turned me off the game so I need not rage at their notion of EXTREEM difficulty.

Update 3 is gonna come right behind that with an additional endless mode involving a volcano and different rules or whatever and some other characters. That's one I'll be waiting for.[/QUOTE]

I've been holding out on space invaders waiting for a price drop or sale. I assume with this most recent update they aren't likely to drop the price any time soon. This seems like one of the best games for the iphone so I may break down and just buy i. Even though 5 bucks is expensive for the app store, its still incredibly cheap in comparison to other digital marketplaces. Considering the game seems on par with some of the best offerings on XBLA, PSN, and Wii Ware I don't think the price point is unreasonable. Do you really think the dlc is worth 2 dollars a piece, im not exactly sure what is included in it?

The mushroom levels were incredibly brutal. To me however, being a platformer with mild adventure elements, the last few stages were like boss fights where the game really actually puts up a fight and requires you to become a master of the game mechanics! Still I agree that the acid needs to be a little less deadly as it absolutely got frustrating. Can't wait for the new endless mode!

I'm a little concerned on the most recent blog post that the developers say they are going to a more combat oriented game. I felt like part of what makes SQH and HC such great games are the simplicity of the gameplay and controls. The John Gore combat oriented levels in hookchamp were pretty sub par, and I'm glad they didn't add that to SQH. However, after creating what I consider to be two of the best games on the platform they will hopefully pull it off well.

[quote name='jamesesdad']I've been holding out on space invaders waiting for a price drop or sale. I assume with this most recent update they aren't likely to drop the price any time soon. This seems like one of the best games for the iphone so I may break down and just buy i. Even though 5 bucks is expensive for the app store, its still incredibly cheap in comparison to other digital marketplaces. Considering the game seems on par with some of the best offerings on XBLA, PSN, and Wii Ware I don't think the price point is unreasonable. Do you really think the dlc is worth 2 dollars a piece, im not exactly sure what is included in it?

The mushroom levels were incredibly brutal. To me however, being a platformer with mild adventure elements, the last few stages were like boss fights where the game really actually puts up a fight and requires you to become a master of the game mechanics! Still I agree that the acid needs to be a little less deadly as it absolutely got frustrating. Can't wait for the new endless mode!

I'm a little concerned on the most recent blog post that the developers say they are going to a more combat oriented game. I felt like part of what makes SQH and HC such great games are the simplicity of the gameplay and controls. The John Gore combat oriented levels in hookchamp were pretty sub par, and I'm glad they didn't add that to SQH. However, after creating what I consider to be two of the best games on the platform they will hopefully pull it off well.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't exactly call SIIG a killer app but it is still a damn good one. Espgaluda 2 is better than it in every way and SIIG spends a lot of time being shitty but also a lot of time being good fun. It's something I'll never even consider playing again once I've ground out every level.

They ARE planning an XBLA and PSN release so I imagine they will milk it for all it's worth.

Haven't tried the SIIG DLC though so I couldn't say.

Hook Champ and SQH both, to me, don't really yield themselves to high difficulty play. Annoying jump mechanics, altitude control, and the MAKE ONE MISTAKE LOL TIME TO START FROM SCRATCH is more than a little annoying.

I love Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Espgaluda better in every way..... Not sure; i love the retro aesthetic of SIIG. I'll buy Espgaluda as soon as it goes on sale at some point. Missed the $5 launch price.

[quote name='gkrykewy']I love Space Invaders Infinity Gene. Espgaluda better in every way..... Not sure; i love the retro aesthetic of SIIG. I'll buy Espgaluda as soon as it goes on sale at some point. Missed the $5 launch price.[/QUOTE]

I bought it for when I got my iPhone 4. Which I still don't have btw.

To answer questions about SIIG and it's DLC...

1) Don't buy it if you aren't crazy about SIIG. It's just too much for too little in comparison to the main game.
2) Do buy one of the packs if you are a really big fan of the ships and a boss (because even though each DLC has two levels it's the same damn boss. C'mon Taito.) from the game. Plus, buying any one pack gets you the Boomerang ship which is interesting in and of itself.
3) Buy all three because you are so in love with SIIG and you want to try that bonus R-Gray2 ship out (you get it once you own all three packs).

The new ships are all very different from the original ships so don't worry about variety. It's there in a big way. The level themes are nice but I'm not sure if they'll carry over into the Music stages. I'd like to see some of the background work carry over at least.

To me, SIIG is a killer app (until it comes to the consoles but that looks to be a bit different, what with it's 3D stages and exclusive ships) on the iPhone. It represents what games can be capable of on the device. Using your music for gameplay, easy uncombed controls, and quick pick up and play value. Not to mention it has been continually updated like a good iPhone game. SIIG is a great shmup history lesson and is certainly one of my favorite shmups of all time. I'll be there when it drops on the 360.

SIIG is definitely worth the money, on a slightly unrelated note can anyone tell me of any boggle clones that are good? I found Scramble 2 which is fun but I'm wondering if there are any other good ones out there.

Anybody buy Fishing Kings? How is it?

And if anybody like Crystal War or is mildly interested, than you should definitely like Defender Chronicles by Chillingo

Ninja Stealth Missions dropped to $0.99

664487.png

#####################################
50% OFF! SALE FOR A LIMITED TIME CELEBRATING THE UPDATE & BEING FEATURED IN WHAT'S HOT!
#####################################

Ninja Stealth Missions is a puzzle game where you have to use all your talent and ability to reach the goal. Do you have what it takes to become in a legendary ninja?

http://appshopper.com/games/ninja-stealth-missions

[quote name='fazfznz']Anybody buy Fishing Kings? How is it?

And if anybody like Crystal War or is mildly interested, than you should definitely like Defender Chronicles by Chillingo[/QUOTE]

Bought it, played a short while. It's pretty good - graphically superior to most (if not all) other iPhone fishing games. I don't like the landscape 'flick' casting - it feels weird compared to the portrait flick (don't ask me why). I actually like that it took me a bit to catch a fish - not one of those 'every fish every cast' kind of games. For 0.99, I'd pull the trigger.

Since I fricken love collecting vs. AI board games for the Iphone, I can say that Blokus for $1 is a good deal.

Basic premise is that you place blocks on a board. You can only place them at the corners of blocks you placed, not anyone elses. Take turns, four players, attempt to fit as much of your crap on the board as you can and block everyone else as best you can. Good game.

[quote name='AdamAGB']Hey all,
Just released: NIMBLE STRONG: BARTENDER IN TRAINING, which is Phoenix Wright meets bartending 101 course.

Website + iTunes link:
http://www.nimblestrong.com

Joystiq.com recently reviewed it with a stunning 4.5/5 score saying: "Finally, video games have purpose":
http://joystiq.com/2010/07/08/review-nimble-strong/

We're having a promo where if you buy the game we'll gift you a free 99c app of your choice. Our launch way of saying thanks,

Cheers!
Adam[/QUOTE]

Ah man, well at least I know what I'll be playing after I finish bar oasis. Goodbye monies.

Tweet Defense is being featured as the next Free App a Day title (http://itunes.apple.com/app/tweet-defense/id360179661?mt=8).

"Tweet Defense tosses ridiculous killer zombies and your twitter stats into a tower defense blender for a delicious brainy, viral juice mix.

10 incredible levels that build from easy walk in the park to devastating horror show
5 whacked out enemy types including the viral marketing zombie and the lumbering massive Blubberbie
6 tower types including the new brain shock tower that turns your enemies against each other and the unique BOOSTER tower that lets you use selected twitter celebs to boost your tower stats."

Note that you don't actually have to have a Twitter account to play this game.

Roll those virtual dice with the RPG title Expedition: Beyond the Walls, currently FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/expedition-beyond-the-walls/id377637590?mt=8#).

"Expedition: Beyond the Walls takes your crew of adventurers, soldiers, apothecaries and more through savage wild lands to ancient sites, guarded by traps and monstrosities.

Along the route, your crew will be beset by sickness, disease, trail mishaps, beastmen, bandits and other horrors. If they survive the trip, they'll encounter the beasts and tests at the destination.

Roll dice to move the crew along the route, stopping at waypoints to make recovery camps. Overshoot, and you'll lose out on bonuses."

Find a bomb. . .in the tropics! Minesweeper Island has dropped to FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/minesweeper-island/id374143835?mt=8).

"Mine Sweeper Island is an enhanced, easy to control and fast pace mine sweeper game for the iPhone/iPod. Mine Sweeper Island runs in Landscape mode which will let you enjoy your mine fields even more.

Features
* 4 different mode to challenge you including Easy, Medium, Hard and Custom mine field where you can adjust your own difficulty
* Run in both(left and right) Landscape mode
* Global and Local high score
* Automatic Save and Resume
* Easy to control, you can Drag to scroll and Pinch to zoom the Mine Field
* Single tab to clear a spot and long tab to mark a flag
* Enjoyable theme song and sound effects
* Lovable characters, suitable for the whole family
* Smoothest and fastest mine sweeper game you'll find
* First tab is guaranteed to not hit a mine"

[quote name='RollingSkull']Since I fricken love collecting vs. AI board games for the Iphone, I can say that Blokus for $1 is a good deal.

Basic premise is that you place blocks on a board. You can only place them at the corners of blocks you placed, not anyone elses. Take turns, four players, attempt to fit as much of your crap on the board as you can and block everyone else as best you can. Good game.[/QUOTE]

Is it pass and play?

[quote name='RollingSkull']Reviews comparing it to Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, and Cooking Mama?! Damn you, you bastard. It's like you're prostrating yourselves to market it DIRECTLY TO ME and I don't even drink alcohol, and you're doing it so well it is piercing EVERY ONE of my defenses.

Screw you and take my damn $5. :p[/QUOTE]

How about a mini-review when you have a chance? The game sounds cool but $5 is a bit much for an impulse buy.

Tweet Defense *FREE* for iPhone and iPad tomorrow for 24hrs only:
gamtweetdefensedeal530.jpg

Tweet Defense (regularly priced at $2.99 exclusively for the iPhone platform) and recently released Tweet Defense HD (regularly priced at $7.99 exclusively for iPad) will both be offered to the public for free for 24 hours at the website www.freeappaday.com. When asked why games that have been featured by Apple in their "What's Hot" for iPhone and iPad lists would be given away for free for an entire day, the game's lead villain replied, "ggllrrgh... Grrr!"

The game was designed in partnership with UK development studio GrinLock
and features:

10 incredible levels that build from easy walk in the park to devastating horror show
5 whacked out enemy types including the viral marketing zombie and zombie twins Gu and Ga
6 tower types including the unique BOOSTER tower that lets you use twitter celebs to boost your tower stats
Achievements including "Making Video Game History"
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/10/tweet-defense-free-on-ipad-and-iphone-this-sunday/#continued

[quote name='Owen']Tweet Defense seems to have some interesting names for their items (taken form the App Store pics).

179661_2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

LOL. Pretty neat. I recall CheapyD mentioning on the cagcast that this game was created by someone he personally knows.

[quote name='chrisnsally']Bought it, played a short while. It's pretty good - graphically superior to most (if not all) other iPhone fishing games. I don't like the landscape 'flick' casting - it feels weird compared to the portrait flick (don't ask me why). I actually like that it took me a bit to catch a fish - not one of those 'every fish every cast' kind of games. For 0.99, I'd pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, i just might bite now!

Anybody who's a fan of the makers of Angry bird, they just released an app called Helsing's Fire. A 'Dark Gothic Puzzle Adventure" only 99 cents!

http://appshopper.com/games/helsings-fire

The Great App a Day feature for Sunday is iConnect Cubic (http://www.greatappaday.com/details/iconnect-cubic/)

"Instructions: 
This is an jass the line game which is known as "lianliankan". Players can play the game through turning the cube left/right or up/down. Players need to select a pair (a set of the same pattern), which should be connected evading other patterns, moreover the path would be no more than three straight-line."

I don't know if that's more helpful or confusing, but in any case it's FREE.

The highly regarded Twitter client Osfoora is currently free. Similar to tweetie/Twitter but with increased functionality. No push notifications though :(

Those annoying noisemakers can now be put to some virtual good in Vuvuzela vs Zombies (http://itunes.apple.com/app/vuvuzela-vs-zombies/id380097163?mt=8), currently FREE. Pick it up in time for the final match this afternoon. . .if you dare.

"The World Cup has been taken by zombies and your only weapon is the annoying sound of a vuvuzela.

What a nightmare!

Choose your favorite team and destroy hordes of zombie players from the rival team, unfair referees and undead dogs, by blowing your giant vuvuzela directly to their heads!

But be careful not to run out of air, or you'll be eaten up! Hit the zombie birds to get extra lung power and blow away the heads of the undead, creating smashing vuvuzela combos.

Playing the vuvuzela is not an option, it's a necessity!"

Kinda offtopic, but had a question.

The right side of my iPhone earphones died out. I bought the earphones from Best Buy back in December so I dont think I can return it there. I checked the manual inside the box and it says it comes with a 1 year warranty. So if I bring in my broken earphones along with the BB receipt to an Apple Store, they should be able to fix it/give me a new pair of earphones right?

I picked up Pix'n Love because of the high praise from both reviewers and gamers, even aware its controls were 100% virtual buttons (left, right, shoot, jump). But for $1, I thought it worth a try. I love Pix'n Love's 8-bit-y style, levels, music and have always had a place in my heart for platformers, but at the same time it just reinforced my HATE of the v-button games. The tap controls are responsive, but the fact you have to tap tap tap, you will inevitably not tap in the right spot because there's no physical factor helping you out. Unless you watch your fingers the whole time. Who watches their hands and feet when they drive a car?

I have a folder for games with great presentation but sad v-button controls, this app has a home in that rarely opened folder :(. Devs: wake up, it's time to learn how to make games on this device with the right kind of controls.

As a counter-point to the dislike of v-button platformers, I found Chop Chop Ninja to have very good controls. Not perfect, but much closer to what an iDevice platformer should feel like.

[quote name='TheRock88']Kinda offtopic, but had a question.

The right side of my iPhone earphones died out. I bought the earphones from Best Buy back in December so I dont think I can return it there. I checked the manual inside the box and it says it comes with a 1 year warranty. So if I bring in my broken earphones along with the BB receipt to an Apple Store, they should be able to fix it/give me a new pair of earphones right?[/QUOTE]

This is known issue with the 3rd gen ipod touch/ iphone 3gs headphones. I have a friend who works at an apple store, and says he gets a large number of customers with damaged right earphones (most likely due to the remote/microphone). If you still have the receipt and the headphones are under a year old, they should replace/repair them. I would call the apple store first to confirm this before you waste your time driving up there only to have them to tell you to take it to best buy or send it off.

[quote name='jamesesdad']This is known issue with the 3rd gen ipod touch/ iphone 3gs headphones. I have a friend who works at an apple store, and says he gets a large number of customers with damaged right earphones (most likely due to the remote/microphone). If you still have the receipt and the headphones are under a year old, they should replace/repair them. I would call the apple store first to confirm this before you waste your time driving up there only to have them to tell you to take it to best buy or send it off.[/QUOTE]

K, thanks for the help. Called them up and they set up an appointment for tomorrow to check it out.

Get the last of that World Cup mania out of your system for another four years with Go! Go! Soccer for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/go-go-soccer/id377024805?mt=8).

"In Go! Go! Soccer, you guide a footballer, intent on finding the best path to the goal, whilst avoiding rivals coming from all sides, determined to stop you!

Tilt your device to dribble them. Use the sprint in hard situations, but watch your stamina or you´ll get caught! Pick-up and use items and Power Ups like a "Mario Star" and if you see a team mate pass the ball!"

Poppi will be the new OpenFeint free game of the day feature for Monday, but you can download it now for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/poppi/id322301819?mt=8)

"Welcome to Poppi, a game of quick reflexes and joyous screen tapping. The aim is to stop the falling shapes from reaching the bottom of the screen. Tap the screen with your fingertip to deflect the shapes into each other to clear them. A unique blend of colour matching and finger juggling action, with a slice of billiards!

Pop your way through waves of shapes with unique behaviours. Colourful rings and flowers, Heavy metal lumps and zippy light bubbles. Destroyable bricks and a wrecking ball. Its not all nice stuff though... Avoid pushing the shapes into spiky mines and don't tap your finger near those bombs!"

Alien Escape

488419.png

**FREE for limited time to celebrate A.C.E. - Air Combat Elite is LIVE!**
An alien family's craft crashed on the earth. Help our father alien protect his babies and fight a way home! See how many waves you can stand!
How to play - forces from the earth are trying to poach the alien kids. Tap screen to aim and shoot!

Its a decent little game and a good way to pick up some big Open Feint points if your into that.

http://appshopper.com/games/alien-escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back