Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Gamecenter ID adds:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272367

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it reached 5,000+ posts making a new thread is easier to read through.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hostile']Peggle (which I already own on two other devices).[/QUOTE]
I hope you don't mean 2 other iDevices because you can use your iTunes account on multiple iDevices (and computers) that you own.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Give your wallet a break and check out some FREE titles:

FAAD has updated its offerings with FrogHop (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/froghop/id369240121?mt=8) and Rathergood (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rathergood/id376184960?mt=8).

GrandPar Golf has dropped to FREE until October 16 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/grandpar-golf/id363694579?mt=8).

Rush Boxman is also FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/rush-boxman/id393078576?mt=8).[/QUOTE]

thanks grabbed the golf and that rush boxman game.. shrugs

[quote name='aznguyen316']is Zenonia 2 worth the extra $1 over Zenonia 1? lol I guess for the possibility of an update for Retina? how old/new is Zenonia 2? Getting annoyed at some of the apps that don't support multitasking =)[/QUOTE]

Both Zenonia and Zenonia 2 support multitasking. Zenonia absolutely punishes you at the end, expecting you to grind about 30 levels before the final boss. Total joke, and it lost me at the end...

Holy Crap just got my new Ipod 4th Gen yesterday Walmart idiots had it priced 179.99 like th eold 3rd gen 8GB model. I asked the guy twice is this the 4th gen??

He said no its 3rd Gen (as I am staring at the 4th Gen camera)

I said Ok. Whipped out my $55 gift card and my other $60 gift card.

Paid $65 out of pocket. Actually only $20 if you factor in that I sold HALO Reach for $45 on CL.

The Retina Display is amazing

Plus the sex chatting using Face Time, with the girls at high school is insane. Like girls that I don't even know that well or speak to all of a sudden are emailing me with Face Time requests and get all flirty.

Once word gets out (it already has) but by Holiday Christmas time there won't be a single iPod Touch left in the US complete sell out.

And now with Google Voice, people can instantly Text Message not sure how that works yet

And using the new 45nm 1Ghz A4 CPU the iPod 4t gen is easily 2x as fast as my buddies 3rd gen iPod Touch which he is desprately trying to sell.

Best GAme so far since I am new is Angry Birds, OMG hours wasted but fun.

The highly-decent bullethell shmup Icarus-X has dropped to .99 for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/icarus-x/id354542499?mt=8).

"Icarus-X is a Full 3D Vertical Shooter, featuring fast paced action, epic boss battles, challenging achievements, downloadable replays and the mandatory online leaderboards!

Icarus-X is now Universal and supports Retina Display and Game Center."

The spot-the-differences game Photo Spot is Great App a Day's Friday Freebie (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-spot/id303513893?mt=8).

"Photo Spot: Global Challenge takes the classic touch screen “spot the difference” game to your iPhone and iPod Touch!

Can you identify all 4 differences in the photos before the countdown timer runs out? With just three `hints` to help you survive the countdown, challenge yourself to earn a position in the global high score chart.

FEATURES:
• Over 127+ sets of images from various types of categories
• Global high score chart
• Challenging ‘beat-the-clock’ format
• Interesting sound effect
• Fun graphics
• Classic touch screen game play
• Play songs from your iPod while running Photo Spot
• Game progress saved from time to time
• iOS4 multitasking support"

[quote name='miriamleo']Got Osmos and Spider.
Also want to get Super Monkey Ball 2 and Oregon Trail, but not sure about it. Any opinion?[/QUOTE]

Oregon Trail is "meh." While polished, I didn't think it was that fun or engaging. Honestly, it seems like it was meant for younger kids. There are better games for $1.

I've been playing the demo for NHL 2K11, and it really just makes me want to play a console hockey game. I might pick it up at a buck though...

[quote name='MrYouTube']Holy Crap just got my new Ipod 4th Gen yesterday Walmart idiots had it priced 179.99 like th eold 3rd gen 8GB model. I asked the guy twice is this the 4th gen??

He said no its 3rd Gen (as I am staring at the 4th Gen camera)

I said Ok. Whipped out my $55 gift card and my other $60 gift card.

Paid $65 out of pocket. Actually only $20 if you factor in that I sold HALO Reach for $45 on CL.

The Retina Display is amazing

Plus the sex chatting using Face Time, with the girls at high school is insane. Like girls that I don't even know that well or speak to all of a sudden are emailing me with Face Time requests and get all flirty.

Once word gets out (it already has) but by Holiday Christmas time there won't be a single iPod Touch left in the US complete sell out.

And now with Google Voice, people can instantly Text Message not sure how that works yet

And using the new 45nm 1Ghz A4 CPU the iPod 4t gen is easily 2x as fast as my buddies 3rd gen iPod Touch which he is desprately trying to sell.

Best GAme so far since I am new is Angry Birds, OMG hours wasted but fun.[/QUOTE]

Yeah my WalMart has the 4th Gen iPod touch 8GB for 179.99 also

[quote name='aznguyen316']is Zenonia 2 worth the extra $1 over Zenonia 1? lol I guess for the possibility of an update for Retina? how old/new is Zenonia 2? Getting annoyed at some of the apps that don't support multitasking =)[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but I bought 1 both because it was 99 cents, and because it didn't feature those irritating DLC that are supposed to help you in the game that the sequel has. I really hate that. I have to presume that the game is designed to be too hard, thus really requiring you to buy helper items in order to complete it. Anyway, I could change my tune if I end up liking the original.

[quote name='Arcademode']Puzzle Agent is on sale for $0.99

I bought the game twice already- first time as a part of the Telltale Adventure bundle, and the second time on the iPhone for $5. I have no regrets buying it twice, it's such a great game.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-agent/id384101636?mt=8[/QUOTE]

looks like there's been some complaints about the visuals. The images look compressed and pixelated. And on a Retina screen it's even worse.. that's a bummer.

what's so great about this thread is that everyday there's guaranteed to be a deal(s) or freebie(s). love it. but picked up a couple 99 games yesterday. just started playing zombie infection and the game is pretty good and handles really well. can't wait to try out civ, pac man ce, need for speed, peggle, and oregon trail. thanks everyone.

I picked up Tiger Woods for $.99, Zombie Infection for $.99, NHL 2K11 for $.99, and Phantasy Star II for $1.99 today. Great prices!

So far, Mirror's Edge has been the most pleasant surprise out of the slew of games I bought (and am still buying) from this sale. The controls and sense of jumping are light years ahead of the "official" parkour game that was a freebie yesterday. I've only played through the first couple of levels so far, but I really recommend this one while it's only $1.99.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Dungeons & Dice is FREE "for the first and last time" right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/dungeons-dice/id345105127?mt=8).

"Dungeons & Dice is a fantasy board game for 1-4 people. Dungeons & Dice takes you on a journey through magical lands.

Each turn will see your hero advancing, battling, hiring NPCs, gaining Objects and Spells necessary to defeat the RED Dragon."[/QUOTE]

What a coinky-dink, I just put this on my wishlist yesterday. It looks very reminicent to that of the "Talisman: The Magical Quest" boardgame and I can't wait to try it out. Thanks a bunch for the update!

[quote name='crunchewy']All right, all right, I'll buy Mirror's Edge too.... :)[/QUOTE]

You won't be disappointed. It is my favorite of the sale splurge so far. Spider: Bryce manor a close second. Osmos I awesome too, damn great sale going on.

Wow, the games keep coming.
Picked up freebies Jam Packed, Dungeons & Dice, Fighter Tedd (Scott Pilgrim much?) and Photo Spot, and bought Puzzle Agent.
Would say I'm going to calm down my downloading for a while, but I know it'd be a lie.

Also, I vouch for Icarus-X, which is a good polygonal shmup.

[quote name='miriamleo']Got Osmos and Spider.
Also want to get Super Monkey Ball 2 and Oregon Trail, but not sure about it. Any opinion?[/QUOTE]
Imagine Super Monkey Ball for iPhone in your head. Got it? It's EXACTLY like that. At least it was for me. Only played the first few levels, but glad I bought it. Will probably rip my eyebrows out (I shave my head) when I get further, because controls are all tilt-based.

Blah! Geometry Wars was a let down. Virtual D-pad = fail. I've played some knockoffs of this game that control much better with just simple touch. Devs, wake up to the new control paradigm. You can do it. Oh well, for a buck can't complain too much, but the game is gonna languish in my D-pad folder (or just get deleted).

thanks for the Dungeons & Dice heads up last page. Unfortunately it's not downloading at the moment. It's not claimed in my acct so I gotta keep trying back before it's not free anymore lol

I'm downloading Dungeons & Dice now. Thanks for the heads up on that. i'd never heard of it, but the reviews are all 5 star so far and it's free, so how could I not?

Tired of playing someone else's idea of a game? Well, then make your own with Sketch Nation Shooter, the latest FAAD Gold offering (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sketch-nation-shooter/id363785930?mt=8).

"Have you ever wanted to create your own iPhone or iPod Touch game? Now you can and it only takes a few minutes!

Watch your drawings come to life in an instant! Create a game from your drawings in just a few minutes. All you need to do is draw a player, enemies, a boss and even a level if you feel adventurous, take their picture and play.

The customization possibilities are infinite and the only limitation to creating a game is your imagination. Some of the options include:
* Player lives, rotation, shield strength, etc...
* Enemy size, ammo, velocity, life, behavior, etc...
* Boss weapon pattern, number of hits, ammo, etc...
* 10 original music tracks to choose from.
* 10 unique powerups.
And many many more."

[quote name='Smaxor']Blah! Geometry Wars was a let down. Virtual D-pad = fail. I've played some knockoffs of this game that control much better with just simple touch. Devs, wake up to the new control paradigm. You can do it. Oh well, for a buck can't complain too much, but the game is gonna languish in my D-pad folder (or just get deleted).[/QUOTE]

I've come to the realization that the ipod isn't good for games on consoles ported over. Using a touch dpad is horrible with games like sonic, mega man, or madden. I will stick to the "casual" games.

Duke Nukem 3d is today's FAAD!!!

995561.png

http://appshopper.com/games/duke-nukem-3d

Kinda glad I held out on buying it when it was a dollar a few months ago. Heard the controls are kinda wonky though.

I don't think the Geometry Wars controls are that bad at all. The trick is, I think, is to realize that the joystick HUD they give you is a lot smaller than the actual range of motion you can make to move/shoot. Definitely don't feel like I wasted my money on it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanna vouch for Zombie Highway as a great timewaster.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 for Iphone is a good port but I have no clue what I'm doing.

I think Duke Nukem 3D may be the worst controlling FPS game on the iPhone/Touch. Everything about this version drives me insane.

[quote name='Kush']I think Duke Nukem 3D may be the worst controlling FPS game on the iPhone/Touch. Everything about this version drives me insane.[/QUOTE]
+1 for the iPad version. Paid $5 on it when I first got my iPad (cause I was hooked on Duke 3D as a kid) but the controls are attrocious.

[quote name='TheRock88']Duke Nukem 3d is today's FAAD!!!

995561.png

http://appshopper.com/games/duke-nukem-3d

Kinda glad I held out on buying it when it was a dollar a few months ago. Heard the controls are kinda wonky though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up. I heard the same about the controls also. But I'll definitely make my own decision for free!

My wife dropped her iPhone 3Gs, all but destroying the screen. We've got an appointment with Apple tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone with this kind of experience can offer some advice?
Thanks!

I was checking out all the sales going on and saw that Mass Effect Galaxy dropped to $1.99 a couple weeks ago. Has anyone tried this game out?

I think all these app sales were part of a promotion by Apple. I just got an iTunes email featuring apps $2.99 and under for a limited time, and several of this thread's favorites are spotlighted.

They should do that more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back